jskinnz

Josh Gordon - leaving the Pats

Gordon announced today he is leaving the Pats to focus on mental health.  Suggestions from those who I think are in the know believe it is due another failed drug test.

Forget football - I hope this guys gets himself right.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Here’s me trying to find my surprise:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c1bb06b534c444336

Not surprised either.  And that is exactly the reason why I wanted no part of him when the Browns made him available earlier in the year.  

But today - I just hope he eventually gets his life in order.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Gordon announced today he is leaving the Pats to focus on mental health.  Suggestions from those who I think are in the know believe it is due another failed drug test.

My first thought was that he was being drug tested by the Patriots in addition to the NFL's "random" drug tests, and that he failed the Patriots' unofficial test. Or possibly, he knew he was going to fail and used the "mental health" issue to avoid it. I suppose we'll never know what is really going on with Gordon, but I wish him success in getting his life in order.

14 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002110/article/patriots-josh-gordon-facing-indefinite-suspension

Yep, Patriots got fleeced for a 5th rounder for 40 catches

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I just checked the conditions on that trade, because I remembered there were some. He had to be inactive for 10 games for the Browns to have to give the Pats a 7th rounder back.

He's been active for 11 games, so no taksies backsies :D 

• Haha 7

Addiction is a Horrible, Horrible thing. Not only for the individual but for the family and loved ones associated.

Sincerely hope he finds his way before it's too late. Good luck Josh, wishing you and all others in your shoes the best going forward.

• Like 7

At some point, a person has to own their own actions and accept the consequences. I can’t imagine this guy ever sees the field again as he can’t be trusted to play for his team for any length of time. He had the money, the support system and anything else a person who “wants” help can have to be successful in rehabbing. He doesn’t want to stop the habit and that’s on him. At some point, others have to wash their hands. This guy is a sink or swim object on his own imo. Sad storyline for this guy. 

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not sure...I think the Pats are pretty much playing for this season. Brady is much closer to the finish line I think than anyone realizes. Gordon has made some HUGE catches this year and helped them win a couple games they shouldn't have...even a couple pass interferences at the end of games to set them up to win. It might have been worth it. That said Gordon has dropped several balls the past couple weeks and looked lost....I think it was clear he was starting to struggle. I'm going to say it now. I'd rather play NE this year than SD or KC. Would love to get matched up with them for a rematch. We might not win but it would be a much better game then we saw when we started the walking wounded in week 4 or 5 whatever it was. We have a whole different OL and a healthy defense for the most part. Heck we didn't even have TY. This is a different Pats and a different Colts team. This might be the one time we can go into Foxboro and win in January.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

What a loser thank god we didn't trade for him.

Shocked that this response would come from you.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure...I think the Pats are pretty much playing for this season. Brady is much closer to the finish line I think than anyone realizes. Gordon has made some HUGE catches this year and helped them win a couple games they shouldn't have...even a couple pass interferences at the end of games to set them up to win. It might have been worth it. That said Gordon has dropped several balls the past couple weeks and looked lost....I think it was clear he was starting to struggle. I'm going to say it now. I'd rather play NE this year than SD or KC. Would love to get matched up with them for a rematch. We might not win but it would be a much better game then we saw when we started the walking wounded in week 4 or 5 whatever it was. We have a whole different OL and a healthy defense for the most part. Heck we didn't even have TY. This is a different Pats and a different Colts team. This might be the one time we can go into Foxboro and win in January.

I'd love nothing else but to see that

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Heck we didn't even have TY. This is a different Pats and a different Colts team. 

Didn’t have the maniac either if I remember correctly 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jared Jammer said:

It's crazy how little will power some people have.

I think it's way more than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

My first thought was that he was being drug tested by the Patriots in addition to the NFL's "random" drug tests, and that he failed the Patriots' unofficial test. Or possibly, he knew he was going to fail and used the "mental health" issue to avoid it. I suppose we'll never know what is really going on with Gordon, but I wish him success in getting his life in order.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Addiction is a Horrible, Horrible thing. Not only for the individual but for the family and loved ones associated.

Sincerely hope he finds his way before it's too late. Good luck Josh, wishing you and all others in your shoes the best going forward.

Another permanent ban is looming.  It might be his last for the NFL. But the Browns exhausted all efforts to help and finally gave up.  NE tried their best. We knew he would be a presence on the field.  Being taken round 2 supplemental is testament to that. But Pats have lost their physical WR with YAC at their worst time  (Not that I personally feel for them, lol) in taking that risk Gordon could pass multiple drug tests.

Right now, only players in the NFL substance abuse program (have been tested positive before) can be tested for substances of abuse in addition to performance enhancing substances that all players are subject to during the season.  By all accounts, Gordon just can’t break free of the mental addiction.I do feel for him in that regard.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Shocked that this response would come from you.  

I said at the time it would be a good trade for colts to make if he was done getting in trouble but its a good thing Ballard didn't believe he was done getting in trouble for once it appears the jokes on the patriots.

To all those who pretty much argued with me about the Colts trading for him, I told you so.

With that said it is sad to see a talented player being out of control.

• Like 1

Seems like stepping away from the spotlight was going to be inevitable for him to get this worked out and move forward...especially now that there won't be any chance of returning.

I can respect that decision. I am sure fighting his issues (sounds alot like some type of anxiety disorder) in such a public setting was too much to bear.  

That said, hopefully, he doesn't use this as a chance to continue self-medicating because he is no longer being tested...but instead figures it out. That process might take a long time...so I hope he can get there.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Everything would come full circle from what happened in the offseason with McDaniels.

God I hope we squeeze into the playoff picture.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

The patriots gave up almost nothing to get him, but now they’ve lost their top receiving target. He was always a medium risk/high reward trade. 

Yeah...they didn't really anything, given the alternatives and the fact that their window is rapidly closing. 

With Edelman banged as well...they are in trouble.

I actually feel for this guy and guys like him. If he can't get clean with tens of millions riding on it then what's going to happen to him once the NFL is in the rear window? This guy is going to end up dead in 10 years or less, but before that he will be broke and miserable..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Another permanent ban is looming.  It might be his last for the NFL. But the Browns exhausted all efforts to help and finally gave up.  NE tried their best. We knew he would be a presence on the field.  Being taken round 2 supplemental is testament to that. But Pats have lost their physical WR with YAC at their worst time  (Not that I personally feel for them, lol) in taking that risk Gordon could pass multiple drug tests.

Right now, only players in the NFL substance abuse program (have been tested positive before) can be tested for substances of abuse in addition to performance enhancing substances that all players are subject to during the season.  By all accounts, Gordon just can’t break free of the mental addiction.I do feel for him in that regard.

It's happened, indefinite suspension has been announced. 

Addiction is a real problem for these "recreational" drug users.  For many, it's not really recreational.  That's just what they tell themselves.

I doubt that Gordon can just stop, so it really is no longer a character issue.

He needs real help.  And seeking mental health help is a good idea since several years of "recreational" drug use can change the brain. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

PLus we were in that game pretty much until the 4th quarter even with all the injuries.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

I feel for this young man. I can't help also feeling it couldn't happen to a more deserving team.

I feel for him but definitely not for the Pats. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Fish said:

He failed another pot test? Jeez. 

I'm not sure he officially failed though because he left due to "mental issues" and didn't get tested, but I guess we don't know all the details yet.

5 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I'm not sure he officially failed though because he left due to "mental issues" and didn't get tested, but I guess we don't know all the details yet.

Indefinite suspension, though.