Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pro Bowl Selections/Snubs (Merge)

NorthernBlue

Having two of out pro bowl caliber players snubbed just sucks.

Maniac and Andrew both deserved to be in the pro bowl, period. I know there are a couple of players who get snubbed every year but having two from our team really sucks.

I still can tip my hat to Q and Ebron for their hard work that most did see and voted correctly.                                                     :hat:

Interesting comparing Anthony Walker's stats to CJ Mosley too:

CJ Mosley:

- 91 (62 solo) tackles

- 0 FF

- 0 FR

- 5 TFL

- 0 INT

- 4 PDEF

- 0.5 sacks

Anthony Walker:

- 103 (68 solo) tackles

- 0 FF

- 1 FR

- 10(!) TFL

- 1 INT (should have had 2 more lol)

- 4 PDEF

- 1 sacks

I think its easy to lose sight of how excellent Walker has played this year in the midst of how great Leonard is. 

We are set for the future at LB with Leonard and Walker.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

Interesting comparing Anthony Walker's stats to CJ Mosley too:

CJ Mosley:

- 91 (62 solo) tackles

- 0 FF

- 0 FR

- 5 TFL

- 0 INT

- 4 PDEF

- 0.5 sacks

Anthony Walker:

- 103 (68 solo) tackles

- 0 FF

- 1 FR

- 10(!) TFL

- 1 INT (should have had 2 more lol)

- 4 PDEF

- 1 sacks

I think its easy to lose sight of how excellent Walker has played this year in the midst of how great Leonard is. 

We are set for the future at LB with Leonard and Walker.

Pro bowl is a joke.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Pro bowl is a joke.

It is indeed.   The only thing that bums me out is that many people/groups use the pro bowls as a way to gauge a players career.  

You'll see it said:

Player X had 10,000 receiving yards, 60 TD's and a 8 time pro bowler.   

46 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

The best part of the video is his reaction and response when chapel says 40 is impossible.

If anybody can do it it's Leonard. I just hope his quest for 40 tackles doesn't get him off his game & force him to over pursue & take himself out of plays he would normally be in the middle of.

Would love to see him end the season with the most tackles by a substantial margin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It may be a blessing in disguise that he got snubbed. Now he will be the 'Maniac' for the rest of the season for sure.

This type of item has propelled Tom Brady throughout his whole career.  It sits deep inside, and they don’t ever forget, regardless of how well they do. It eats at them and continuously drives them.  Their duty is to properly ‘channel it’ .  Leonard does this and he will eventually pan out to be better than Brooks, with some Robert Mathis mixed in. (Thanks Buzz Kill Bill)

And it is yet again proof that Pro bowl selection means a great deal to players.  It is a joke to fans because of the way the game is played. (I wouldn’t want to suffer season or career ending injury in an all star game either)

• Like 1

Pro bowl imo doesn't mean as much today.  In the past it was an honor and everyone went.  Now it seems like half don't go and with all the alternates, the luster is off a bit.  Seems like most everyone having a half decent season will eventually be in the pro bowl.  Imo, All Pro is the place to be. 

Having said that, they should group them by their actual playing positions, not what they're listed at. 

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Hey, slew the Pro Bowl selectors.  Or give them credit - they inspired The Maniac to go for 40 tackles Sunday!  

I just hope he plays his lane and doesn’t get out of position just to make a statement.   

And I really hope that none of our guys can go to the pro bowl.

Am I the only one that will be upset if DL gets 40 tackles this Sunday?

because I will be thinking, where was THAT all year?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cbear said:

Pro bowl imo doesn't mean as much today.  In the past it was an honor and everyone went.  Now it seems like half don't go and with all the alternates, the luster is off a bit.  Seems like most everyone having a half decent season will eventually be in the pro bowl.  Imo, All Pro is the place to be. 

Having said that, they should group them by their actual playing positions, not what they're listed at. 

Personally, I used to like watching the game.  it was just some guys out there relaxing and having fun until the last 5 min of the game and then they tried to win.

But, yes, it used to be a reward.  Guys got a free trip to hawaii for a week, a little extra money and a chance to hang out with guys from other teams.

Now, it's not about rewarding the players, it's exploiting the players, IMO.  I am a capitalist through and through and I prefer when companies do things to make money and even better make a profit.  But I don't support making a profit by cheapening the product and that is what I think the NFL has done since they moved the probowl from Hawaii and put it before the SB.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shive said:

He wrote an article today about Leonard's snubbing. In it, he alluded that his list wasn't in any particular order.

That's what I've always believed, but in an interview today Leonard said he's not an OLB, he's a WILL. Weak inside LB.

Interesting. Do you have a link to the interview? I'm guessing he misspoke, since you obviously can't have two different "inside" linebacker positions when in an alignment that features just 3 linebackers.

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

Interesting. Do you have a link to the interview? I'm guessing he misspoke, since you obviously can't have two different "inside" linebacker positions when in an alignment that features just 3 linebackers.

The designation is outdated at this point.

Leonard is the Will backer in our defense. Many people look at the Will and Sam positions as outside backer positions, but the Will in our defense mostly lines up directly behind the three tech, which makes him an inside backer. And he's the one backer that basically never comes off the field, so in certain situations he's the Mike.

Then you add in different defensive alignments that use outside backers exclusively outside -- EDGE players -- and the designation gets even more confusing.

They should get with the times. There are off-ball / stack linebackers, which includes all the inside/outside linebackers who aren't exclusively EDGE players, whether in a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense. Then there are EDGE players, which includes 3-4 OLBs, 4-3 DEs, and hybrids. And then there are DL, which would include all three-point defensive linemen, whether in a 3-4 or a 4-3, from nose tackles to five techs.

In the AFC, you'd have Watt, Atkins, Casey, Heyward as DL; Garrett, Ingram, Miller, Clowney, Ford as EDGE; Mosley and McKinney as Stack LB. Classify Clowney and Ingram as EDGE players, and it becomes abundantly clear that they don't belong in the conversation as Pro Bowlers this season.

It also becomes obvious that they're sending EDGE players to the Pro Bowl instead of Stack LBs. Chubb and Leonard should be there, and it would balance out the roster.

• Like 1

Another good article on the pro bowl atrocity

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/12/19/five-in-five-out-pro-bowl-swaps-that-we-would-have-made/atvn4h7/

And it's not just Colts players he's talking about!

Out - QB Tom Brady, Patriots

In - QB Andrew Luck, Colts

Out - QB Aaron Rogers, Packers

In - QB Matt Ryan, Falcons

Out - T Eric Fisher, Chiefs

In - T Mitchell Schwartz, Chiefs

Out - DE Melvin Ingram, Chargers

In - DE/DT Chris Jones, Chiefs

Out - LB Bernardrick McKinney or Jadaveon Clowney, Texans

In - Darius Leonard, Colts

17 hours ago, masterlock said:

https://www.colts.com/video/darius-leonard-sets-goal-at-40-tackles-this-week-after-missing-pro-bowl-selectio

The relevant quote starts at about 1:27.

• Like 1