Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pro Bowl Selections/Snubs (Merge)

NorthernBlue

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Leonard was like 5th or 6th ? 

I assure you Leonard wasn’t even initially on the list at all.  It was updated 45 minutes later.  This Shook guy who wrote the article and is clearly a Cowboy’s shill.  He lists Leonard’s stats: 1st in tackles, 2nd among all rookies in sacks and all the other eye popping stats and then says he has more tackles through so many games than any rookie in NFL history but has the audacity to list him 5th...  Guy is a clown & a hack.

48 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

weak inside - will 

not outside 

35 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Ummm, WILL does not mean Weak Inside, it just means weakside LB.  And in a 4-3 or 4-2-5 D like the Colts run it's an OLB spot.

Football names-

Sam - Strong side linebacker
Mike - Middle linebacker  (sometimes also referred to as Mack)
Will - Weak side linebacker

3 recent new terms for the same position-

Leo         \ 'tweener' -   Linebacker End
Elephant \      "             End Linebacker
Jack         /  tweener -  Jack of all trades

Interesting fact. When Tom Landry was defense coordinator with NY football Giants, he pioneered the 4 - 3 defense.  Landry referred to the linebackers in female names in the late 1950's.  Sara, Meg, and Wanda. (Flex defense)

Paul Brown was credited for Sam, Mike, Will
George Allen used Stub, Mac, Buck

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Ummm, WILL does not mean Weak Inside, it just means weakside LB.  And in a 4-3 or 4-2-5 D like the Colts run it's an OLB spot.

Ok, however inside backers are typically set up closer to the line and play inside the DEs... whereas OLBs are usually lined up outside the tackles or ends (like in a 3-4, 46, or 4-4). It can be confusing since the SAM/MIKE/WILL names are widely applied to both

It's dumb.  Probowl has been mostly irrelevant for years now.  But to not be recognized among your peers is asinine.  Both those guys deserve it.  You could make a case for Hilton but I understand him not getting it.  But congrats to Ebron and Nelson.  Also very deserving of that accolade.  I hope neither plays in it though.

31 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Ok, however inside backers are typically set up closer to the line and play inside the DEs... whereas OLBs are usually lined up outside the tackles or ends (like in a 3-4, 46, or 4-4). It can be confusing since the SAM/MIKE/WILL names are widely applied to both

I know there is different terminology around the country, but inside/outside does not typically refer to where the lbers are in relation to the dline, it's usually where they are in relation to the other LBers and the areas of responsibility.

And again, WILL just means weakside linebacker and typically weakside LBers are associated with an OLB spot.  Colts just call them LBers and that's fine for them but for things like Probowl voting they are going to put DL in the OLB category and Walker in the Middle or Inside LB category.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Actually they won’t because we’re going to the Super Bowl.  I hope the Maniac & Luck use this as motivation to set the record straight.  Notice that they put Derwin James in...  They might actually try to rob the Maniac of the DROY award. It’s been posted that Kuechly had one of the greatest rookie season ever and won the award & Leonard’s numbers are better than his and he missed a game.  Poppycock

More like a big pile of cow flop!

1 hour ago, DraftMaster said:

Everybody talking about Pro Bowl snubs but if we were being honest Luck and Leonard wouldn't go anyway being too busy gameplanning for Super Bowl 53 :lombardi::fireworks:

I think you just hit on the conspiracy for this year.

This will be SB 53... and yes Darius Leonard wears number 53.

As it is written, so shall it be.

• Haha 2

Leonard getting over-looked for the s ason he's having is just ridiculous.  And i'm hearing more about VDE gettiing snubbed.  Am i missing something?

I'm on my 4th time watching the game, and still I only really noticed VDE when he was getting pushed around or pancaked by our OL.  And the play where he was following TY down the field.

Leonard, on the other hand, seemed to flash all game.

recovered fumble, made 2 reslly good ppays knockng down passes, some pressures, and of course, all those tackles.

What am i missing?  am i that blinded by "the shoe"?

4 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Looks like it was edited since it was first posted because he was not on the list when I first shared the link. Still, he should be #1. He's fed on disrespect all year I hope be plays even better down the stretch.

So that's why there are 13 listed and not the 12. Interesting.

5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I assure you Leonard wasn’t even initially on the list at all.  It was updated 45 minutes later.  This Shook guy who wrote the article and is clearly a Cowboy’s shill.  He lists Leonard’s stats: 1st in tackles, 2nd among all rookies in sacks and all the other eye popping stats and then says he has more tackles through so many games than any rookie in NFL history but has the audacity to list him 5th...  Guy is a clown & a hack.

Nick Shook is a Browns fan.

11 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Leonard is inside LB so NFL.com is wrong 

There is no inside linebacker in the Colts' base defensive alignment. In a 4-3 defense like the Colts play, there are two outside linebackers (strong and weak side) and one MIDDLE linebacker. That makes Darius Leonard a weak side (WILL) outside linebacker. (In a 3-4 defense, there are two inside linebackers and two outside linebackers.)

5 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

So remind me.. why do people on here still  hold up the number of pro bowl appearances as a metric for how good a player is? 

Well, it's ONE metric, but obviously not a perfect metric, as evidenced by Darius Leonard's snub. Colts fans already know Darius Leonard is a Pro Bowl talent if ever there were one. But the Pro Bowl is supposed to be about the most worthy players at their respective positions. For a guy like Leonard to be snubbed shows the process is at best flawed and at worst unfair.

26 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Well, it's ONE metric, but obviously not a perfect metric, as evidenced by Darius Leonard's snub. Colts fans already know Darius Leonard is a Pro Bowl talent if ever there were one. But the Pro Bowl is supposed to be about the most worthy players at their respective positions. For a guy like Leonard to be snubbed shows the process is at best flawed and at worst unfair.

I guess that’s my point, if it was decided as per the All Pros I’d give it more merit. But the selection process and the very game itself has been broken a number of years now.