Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CaptainColt12

Looking Back, was going for it on 4th down against the Texans a bad or a good decision

20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Im madder about not kicking  field goals in jags game

Well I'm not mad about the call in fact I liked it,

but yeah I didn't like not going for the points vs the jags,on the 4th down attempt inside the 5, we had been doing terrible that entire drive and were only in it cause the penalty on the field goal. We didn't gain a single yard for the 3 plays before the 4th down. That 4th down I'm mad at

When you ignore the process in favor of the short-term results, the results will ultimately catch up with you and process you out of the league. Purely analytically the decision was very much on the border. Some models put it as a negative ~5% win probability others put it slightly above the threshold. 

The point is the decision is sound analytically and if you include other external factors(like establishing a tone and culture for a young team, showing trust in your team, getting buy in from your players, etc), to me it looks like the right decision. You don't know if the players get the same attitude and buy in in what Reich has been preaching since day 1(aggressive football) if he doesn't follow through in this situation and instead goes for the tie. For all we know we might get the draw in this game and then lose the next 10 because the players buy in was undermined the moment we got that draw. 

I’m at peace with it.  It’s the decision I hoped he would make and hope he would make again.  There are ramifications...and I certainly see the other side of the argument as valid.

The results of a season are the ramifications of a series of daily decisions across multiple years.  The decision in question is, no doubt, a more definitive moment than most of those other decisions feel like in terms of our current playoff position.

Stay aggressive Frank...

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

My birthday! A Colts win would be a great present! :)

Seriously though. Going for it was the right call. He showed the team he's not afraid to be aggressive and was setting the tone for the year. 

After all, Coach Reich did say he was going to be aggressive from the onset. 

Cool!  Mine is the 28th, the same as AV, and I'll gladly take a late birthday gift.

This again? For those arguing we left points on the board.

We did not. Nothing is guaranteed. One could argue we left a higher probability of points than the choice the coach made. But it is not a fact that we would have scored another 6 points. 

I find the use of "facts" around here interesting. 

I think it was the right idea but the wrong time.  He should have went for it on our first possession.  I think we had like 4th and 4 from around the 30 or something.  We settled for the field goal.  Once we did that we should have settled for the tie later on as well because TY was hurt.  Frank hadn't yet hit his groove as a play caller nor had Luck developed the chemistry with his other receivers. 

Though there was a receiver coming open to his left, Luck rushed the throw to Rogers on the right.  Hindsight is 20/20 but I think we should have punted.  Guys have muffed punts before.  Watson has fumbled and thrown interceptions.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.  Like later in the Jags game, Frank needed to learn that there's 3 phases to the game and sometimes you've got to let your defense and special teams win you a game.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

at the end, you play to win. You love a coach that has to much confidence in his team to make that call. 

Pagano would disagree with statement!

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Pagano would disagree with statement!

But what about the greatest fake punt ever!!!

Well - at least the Colts were faked out.

I love coach Reich. Thrilled he's our coach, really. /preface

It was absolutely the wrong call. One less loss can make all the difference in the world. You have to punt that 10 times out of 10.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I don't look back. Wishing something should have happened doesn't change anything.

Good point.

New wish list:

1. I win the lottery

2. Colts win 2

3. Texans, Steelers, Ravens, Patriots all lose 2

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• As I said, it's never about "can you fit under the cap?", or "do you spend all your cap space?" Because you can fit under the cap certainly. Actually, you have to, that's the rule. And most teams do spend their cap space. That's the point. Use it all if possible. The Patriots use it all usually, the Steelers use it all usually, etc. Most teams do. Actually, the Colts do use almost all of their 2019 cap space too. (The 2019 total sum of contracts is a bit over 184 million, just a few mills under the cap. That "40ish cap space" is already nothing else but the rollovers from previous years.)   But, even with spending all the cap space, there is good cap management, and there is bad cap management. The Patriots spend all of their cap space, and they manage it very effectively. The Colts (now) spend all of their (excluding rollover), and I belive Ballard manages the cap very effectively. But the Jags didn't. They went over the line, and sacrifized their future effectiveness by getting into bidding wars and signing pricey free agents one after another. The problem wasn't Norwell. If it was only him, that would be ok. The problem was, that they also signed Moncrief for 10M, Jenkins for 6M, Church for 7M, traded for Hyde and payed him 4M and he barely saw the field, etc, etc. The list is very long.      I never said that having elite talents heading into their second contract is a burden. You are right, that is a blessing. Actually, that is the best that can happen to a team. That's what Ballard want's to do! The problem is, that the Jaguars got into a situation, when there is a very good chance that they cannot sign their own guys. And their roster got thin, because they could not refill it this offseason enough. They got worse. And they will become even worse in 2020, because they won't be able to retain their talent level. Yes, they can cut Campbell, they can cut Bouye, and they can trade Ngakogue, and fit under the cap. And then? Who will play at CB, who will play at DE? A mediocre somebody. So, instead of improving their team, they actually made it worse. That's the bad management. Cap wise and talent wise as well. (However, I do agree, that they kinda draft OK recently - one year exceptionally well, but still OK since then, so their talent infusion is somewhat OK. What they screwed up big time is cap management.)   Btw, this is an old story repeating itself. Coughlin has been with the Jags before. And he drove them into cap hell before. It was bad, it cost them years to recover. He's just doing it all over again. He is (was) a very good coach, but terrible at managing the cap.
    • https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-say-no-trade-offers-sticking-jacoby-brissett-backup?fbclid=IwAR0IGDgC2r_pBbt7tUzbQjxiBv0zfXiUyxQtxziGhcsvuaRHI3Or6xVIT74   I like Reich's quotes here:  “It’s impossible for me to have a higher opinion of Jacoby than I do,” Reich says. “I said it last year, I think he’s a top 20 quarterback. I still say that. After watching him for a year, this guy’s really good.   “I tell Chris all the time, ‘Please don’t let him go. I don’t care what anybody offers him. Don’t let him go.’ I love Jacoby. The problem is now I’ve gotten to know Jacoby and, at some point, I hope that it works out for Jacoby. But not now.”
    • How is the number of UDFAs significant to anything?     For the record, the Colts actually signed 11 UDFAs...JAC signed 21.    BTW, here are some of the "better teams" and the number of UDFAs this year:   HOU - 20 KC - 23 CHI - 22 NO -17 LAR - 19 LAC - 19   I see no clear correlation between "better teams", thin rosters and UDFAs. There is more of a correlation between the number of draft picks and UDFAs, if anything. Those teams typically had less draft picks...and therefore...more roster spots to give to UDFAs. And UDFAs understand this as well...and see a better path to making a roster if a draft pick is not in their way.   In 2018, the Colts...in the first year of a new offensive and defensive scheme...coming off a 4-win season...signed only 10 UDFAs...because they had 11 draft picks...which makes sense. But that roster was by no means deep.  
  • Members

• Shepman

Shepman 220

• Fourstar40

Fourstar40 2

Rookie
    • Boiler_Colt

Boiler_Colt 3,716

• chad72

chad72 9,729

• w87r

w87r 261