Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 Rb draft class

55 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Curious how strong this draft class is, is it just Harris, and Love as considered top tier guys?

There certainly are no Z. Elliot, T. Gurley or S. Barkley in this class.  Love meh..

also does a weaker RB class make us more likely to pursue Bell?

Doubtful and depends on what he's asking for.

-Never trust Alabama RBs 

D. Henry would be a good 1-2-3 with Mack and Hines.

• Like 1

Tevin Coleman may be a free agent, with ATL having tied up Freeman previously. Not a lot of mileage(600 carries and catches over 4 years). 

As Stack mentioned, it's a pretty meh year for running backs. Love had a down year.

A lot of people think the Jets go hard for Bell, and I don't blame the Jets for doing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtV said:

Tevin Coleman may be a free agent, with ATL having tied up Freeman previously. Not a lot of mileage(600 carries and catches over 4 years). 

I haven't been to stoked on how Coleman has been playing of late, I think he's a great back up RB but not a real starter.

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Montgomery from Iowa State has been getting some love as has Benny Snell from Kentucky. We could use a more powerful runner to pair with Mack.

I'll have to look them up

3 hours ago, ColtV said:

As Stack mentioned, it's a pretty meh year for running backs. Love had a down year.

A lot of people think the Jets go hard for Bell, and I don't blame the Jets for doing it.

Don’t you kinda think that Coleman is much of the same type of player that Mack is? Tevin is not a brute type of back that I recalled. It seems like we would now just have 2 Mack’s as rb’s on the team. I may be wrong on Tevin’s style but that’s what I recalled of him, speed moreso then power. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Don’t you kinda think that Coleman is much of the same type of player that Mack is? Tevin is not a brute type of back that I recalled. It seems like we would now just have 2 Mack’s as rb’s on the team. I may be wrong on Tevin’s style but that’s what I recalled of him, speed moreso then power. 

Coleman is almost exactly the same body style as Mack

We should have at least one 225LB RB that can be brought in on 3rd and short

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont disagree that he's the same body style as Mack(listed at same weight and 2 cm difference in height), or differs greatly from Mack in style. But I have strong concerns about Mack's ability to stay healthy throughout a season...and honestly I think the majority of fans share that concern.

Going only off this year(considering the previous coaching staff could rarely get it's collective head out of it's butt, so any assessment of last year's stats is problematic) Mack has missed 4 games this season. Additionally, he's only had 20 or more touches(carries+catches) in 3 games. I believe bringing in another back like Coleman with the same style and skillset, allows the offense to maintain continuity when substitution happens without any real changes, and puts continued pressure on defenses. 

I've included a partial snapshot of unrestricted free agents available next year, based on rushing totals from this year. Obviously Bell, at this time, would be an unrestricted FA, but of course no rushing yards this season. Courtesy of Sportrac.com:

image.png.c35cecf9a34f8fbad6fcfab9049dd1c1.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

The one guy I wish we had pursued, I know he wasn't on the market but it was rumored he could have been traded for, was Jordan Howard. He would have been fantastic in our rotation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColtV said:

I dont disagree that he's the same body style as Mack(listed at same weight and 2 cm difference in height), or differs greatly from Mack in style. But I have strong concerns about Mack's ability to stay healthy throughout a season...and honestly I think the majority of fans share that concern.

I think you are right

We need to get the three RBs some offseason muscle building activity

(5-10 lbs, would help all three) 

My problem is that when its 3rd and 1.........  We need a RB with a bit more sand in the britches than we have now

We also need that big back for those rainy muddy days when the little fast guys dont do as well. Playoff weather at some of the stadiums like NE, Pittsburgh, others need a big bruiser... IMHO

Bringing in Coleman doesnt hurt us..... I remember that guy had some CRAZY runs in college, and I believe he is in the same exciting mold as Mack......  but we would still require that needed bigger back

Maybe Blount is the guy that we bring in for those downs

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Montgomery from Iowa State has been getting some love as has Benny Snell from Kentucky. We could use a more powerful runner to pair with Mack.

Iowa State bowl game vs Wash. St. on 12/28, 9pm est espn

Kentucky bowl game vs. Penn St. on 1/1, 1pm est on abc

IMO the class is not as strong as last year, but there might be some hidden gems. I keep reading that the league is not super high on David Montgomery and I have no idea why. I really like him.... if he truly falls to round 3 I'd pick him up without much hesitation(I think a team would be justified in taking him in round 2 too). 

I also like Devin Singletary from Florida Atlantic - fast and extremely elusive, good contact balance. I like him better than Love, who I think is overrated and I wouldn't draft him before round 4. I'd draft Singletary in round 3 or later... 

I like Rodney Anderson, but his injury sheet is expansive and I don't know what to think about it. If he were healthy without injury concern, he could go late round 1 - early round 2, but IMO that's almost impossible knowing just how many injuries he carries on his body.

Benny Snell is a bit of a straight line runner without much wiggle. IMO the league is going away from this type of runners. He wouldn't be very high on my list. 

If you want under the radar players look at Darrell Henderson from Memphis and Zack Moss from Utah. I think by draft day they will be day 2 players. Both are players with some juice and can also catch the ball. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

If you want under the radar players look at Darrell Henderson from Memphis and Zack Moss from Utah. I think by draft day they will be day 2 players. Both are players with some juice and can also catch the ball. 

I forgot about Henderson, he was a beast this season. He could have a similar rise to Rashad Penny last year. I think he may be a second rounder if he tests well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

I also like Devin Singletary from Florida Atlantic - fast and extremely elusive, good contact balance. I like him better than Love, who I think is overrated and I wouldn't draft him before round 4. I'd draft Singletary in round 3 or later... 

Singletary's production the last two seasons is insane! 

Not that the Colts will be looking for another Bryce Love type back, but I do think his stock is down and he'll likely be coming off the board in the 3rd round now.

• Like 1

I just looked at a 2019 mock draft that had David Montgomery slipping into the end of the first round. So he's on the radar. I doubt he goes Day 1 but he looks like a strong Day 2 guy. He's big enough at 216 lbs to play a 3rd down short yardage role, and likely a whole lot more than that. 

• Like 1

I prefer Benny Snell over any of the others.

He's got good size 5-11 223

Production in the SEC has been very good last 3 years

Season  G   ATT  YDS TDS

2016-17 13 186 1091  13

2017-18 13 262 1333  19

2018-19 12 263 1305  14

His best game was at Florida ran for 175.

3rd Rd maybe

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 8:18 PM, Zoltan said:

Curious how strong this draft class is, is it just Harris, and Love as considered top tier guys?

also does a weaker RB class make us more likely to pursue Bell?

-Never trust Alabama RBs 

Speaking of Alabama RBs, I do like Josh Jacobs, the times I have seen him.  He runs hard, with an attitude, good receiver out of the backfield and he was good at pass protection. 

I think we need a lead back.  I see Mack as a change of pace guy, but I don't like him as the lead back.  

Ideally someone who can participate well in the pass game too.  Colts offense can go to the next level with a back who can run between the tackles well and catch the ball.  

I'm ok with using a 2nd round pick on this.  

It’s not that it’s a weak RB class. It’s moreso the fact that it’s filled with scat/change of pace backs. Small guys who are 5’9” and sub 200 pounds. Basically most of the RBs compare to Tarik Cohen and Hines. We already have that type of RB on the roster.

The draft lacks any 1st round backs and has very few downhill power backs, which is what we need. Anderson is a do it all back but has had 3 season ending injuries. The few backs worth a look who are more of the bruiser types are:

-David Montgomery

-Benny Snell

-LJ Scott

-Alex Barnes

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 5:29 PM, MPStack said:

I prefer Benny Snell over any of the others.

He's got good size 5-11 223

Production in the SEC has been very good last 3 years

Season  G   ATT  YDS TDS

2016-17 13 186 1091  13

2017-18 13 262 1333  19

2018-19 12 263 1305  14

His best game was at Florida ran for 175.

3rd Rd maybe

We need someone like that, as a change of pace, and for short yardage.

I need to watch his tape