Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Castonzo says this game is the most fun he's had in his NFL career

gregr507

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Building a CULTURE.  It works.

The levels Chemistry , character, accountability ,heart, and trust are growing .

We are The EPITOME of team.

Exactly right. I love hearing these guys talk about the team, you can just feel the energy, confidence, and camaraderie. Seeing the o-line play like this is a thing of beauty  

54 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

AC played well, but I really think the Big Q effect is contagious! If the rest of the O-Line starts wearing war paint, it's going to be game over. 

Kelly being back really transforms the line the rest of the way (back to elite) and Braden is playing out of his mind too. 

I think there is a lot to that.  AC has always been an excellent technician but Nelson's attitude of wanting to "finish" defenders (getting them to the ground) is becoming contagious and you see it in how the rest of the line plays and you also see it in how the defensive lines... they taking bigger loops on stunts. they try to make moves around the lineman... you see very few dlineman trying to bull rush or overpower the oline the last several weeks.

• Like 2

The additions of Nelson and Smith allow each of the other Olineman to play their own game and not have to cover for bad play from the others.  AC and Kelly have both been allowed to really show their worth.

Interesting that Haeg was in for Glowinski, especially since the knock on Haeg was his lack of strength in the running game.

Also, the threat of Luck and his high completion rate in this short passing game helps the run game, IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NagelHausForge said:

That O-line looked great yesterday.  No issues with Haeg being in for Glowinski.  Great to finally have some solid depth on the line.

Another great running day and another day of keeping Luck clean in the pocket.

This team is going to be dangerous if they make the playoffs!

I disagree with the bolded.  There wasn't a huge drop off in play but Haeg was not as good as Glow in pass protection.  Several times when Luck had to move in the pocket it was because Haeg's guy was providing the pressure.

Not that Haeg did poorly, he played well but Glow is the better guard.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I disagree with the bolded.  There wasn't a huge drop off in play but Haeg was not as good as Glow in pass protection.  Several times when Luck had to move in the pocket it was because Haeg's guy was providing the pressure.

Not that Haeg did poorly, he played well but Glow is the better guard.

Haeg is a good plug in for most all spots on the line but I don’t want to see him being used in reliable starting spot line ups. He is certainly a utility knife but he is upgradable in the draft and I think this team should draft a olineman every year in the first or second round. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

AC played well, but I really think the Big Q effect is contagious! If the rest of the O-Line starts wearing war paint, it's going to be game over. 

Kelly being back really transforms the line the rest of the way (back to elite) and Braden is playing out of his mind too. 

That was been fricken epic!! The whole line all war painted up and ready to storm into Valhalla!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!

makes me want to run through a wall. Drywall of course lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Haeg is a good plug in for most all spots on the line but I don’t want to see him being used in reliable starting spot line ups. He is certainly a utility knife but he is upgradable in the draft and I think this team should draft a olineman every year in the first or second round. 

Just how do you think drafting an O-lineman that can play all positions is easily upgradable? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just how do you think drafting an O-lineman that can play all positions is easily upgradable? 

Don't think he said easily upgradable.  And he can be upgraded by drafting a guy that is starter quality.  That doesn't mean you get rid of the utility knife, but maybe some other lineman that isn't quite starter quality but isn't as versatile as Haeg is let go.

I agree with always looking to draft quality lineman.  If you don't in a few years you will end up with guys leaving in free agency and being replaced by guys who might not get the job done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Don't think he said easily upgradable.  And he can be upgraded by drafting a guy that is starter quality.  That doesn't mean you get rid of the utility knife, but maybe some other lineman that isn't quite starter quality but isn't as versatile as Haeg is let go.

I agree with always looking to draft quality lineman.  If you don't in a few years you will end up with guys leaving in free agency and being replaced by guys who might not get the job done.

Haeg has been under appreciated and has more than earned his pay here in Indy. Those types of players are not easily replaced.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Haeg has been under appreciated and has more than earned his pay here in Indy. Those types of players are not easily replaced.

Nobody said he was easily replaced.  From what I saw yesterday he played a pretty good game.  But that doesn't mean we can't improve our reserve linemen to a point where he would be focused on where he is best.  What's wrong with that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

Nobody said he was easily replaced.  From what I saw yesterday he played a pretty good game.  But that doesn't mean we can't improve our reserve linemen to a point where he would be focused on where he is best.  What's wrong with that?

Where did I say we shouldn't improve? 

You seem to want to argue over a mute point.

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

I understand what you are saying but a player like haeg helps a lot with the active game day roster, especially when the injury bug bites like it did earlier in the year.  If a team can go into game day with 7 active lineman then that leaves 38 spots for the rest of the team.  But without a guy like Haeg then a team has to have 8 or maybe even 9 active lineman.  I know that may not seem like much of a difference but it can be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I understand what you are saying but a player like haeg helps a lot with the active game day roster, especially when the injury bug bites like it did earlier in the year.  If a team can go into game day with 7 active lineman then that leaves 38 spots for the rest of the team.  But without a guy like Haeg then a team has to have 8 or maybe even 9 active lineman.  I know that may not seem like much of a difference but it can be.

You know I said here that we should keep him, right?  But if we can upgrade other reserve line he can be more effective concentrating on where he excels.

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

You know I said here that we should keep him, right?  But if we can upgrade other reserve line he can be more effective concentrating on where he excels.

Sorry, I was not trying to indicate you said anything else and hopefully it didn't come off that way.

Just responding to the point about concentrating on where he excels.  IMO having a backup guy that can play 4 or 5 positions along the line is more valuable than having a backup focusing on on area.  And the game day roster was the explanation for that.

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I wouldn't say 1st or 2nd round. Maybe 3rd or 4th. This team has it's future starters on OL at all positions provided they are healthy obviously. They should resign Glowinski, and Smith holds up well if he continues to progress at RT. And we're obviously good at LT, LG, and C. 

The only thing they need now is depth in case of injury to starters. Haeg helps there, as does Boehm. Now they just need better depth at OT in case of injury to Costanzo or Smith. 

1st and 2nd round picks need to be spent mostly on defense going forward the next few years. And another WR or two as well. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Sorry, I was not trying to indicate you said anything else and hopefully it didn't come off that way.

Just responding to the point about concentrating on where he excels.  IMO having a backup guy that can play 4 or 5 positions along the line is more valuable than having a backup focusing on on area.  And the game day roster was the explanation for that.

No problem.  And I get it.  Having a guy that is versatile is a huge plus.  And again I think he had a really good game yesterday.  It's not easy to jump in to any position and play.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If David Irving had played Haeg would have been abused as is his usual.

The idea he is acceptable as more than a mediocrity is just wrong.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Jesus man, settle down. Did I just take a dig at your family or something? I said he is upgradable and he is. The two on the team I would say right now can’t be upgraded much better is Kelly and Nelson, those two guys are what we should look to as the barometer of being our starters, not a utility fill in guy. I absolutely appreciate everything that Haeg has done with the team, hope we can keep him around as a valuable piece but I don’t want to see him as a 16 game starter because he isn’t dominant in any position he plays. 

We we know that AC will eventually fall off and need replaced and if we are being honest, he too could be upgraded but he isn’t as easy to find a better replacement and all in all, he isn’t doing to bad either.  We don’t really know exactly what we have in the RT spot and the Rg spot as well. I honestly think we need to get either a RG or RT position on day two to compete for one of the positions and let competition dictate who plays where. The team was rolling along just wonderfully though with the 5 guys we had playing until the RG got hurt. Haeg filled in fine but it wasn’t anything dominate. Just because you can play other positions doesn’t mean you can perform them at the highest level needed. 

Hope me that helps calm your nerves on my post. 

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I wouldn't say 1st or 2nd round. Maybe 3rd or 4th. This team has it's future starters on OL at all positions provided they are healthy obviously. They should resign Glowinski, and Smith holds up well if he continues to progress at RT. And we're obviously good at LT, LG, and C. 

The only thing they need now is depth in case of injury to starters. Haeg helps there, as does Boehm. Now they just need better depth at OT in case of injury to Costanzo or Smith. 

1st and 2nd round picks need to be spent mostly on defense going forward the next few years. And another WR or two as well. 

Maybe each year in the 1-2 range is overkill however, taking 4th rounders haven’t produced this team any dominant starters on the line over the years. To replenish and keep competition high level and part ways with some guys due to cap constraints, you have to keep putting top shelf players in the mix. If that means taking a oline position player every other year at 1-2 round or every third year, you have to do that and keep it in your long range budget plan as well as roster make up plan. That’s why the GM’s get paid well, to put together those choices and make the tough calls. That’s probably why I’m home typing my thoughts and not working for the team lol. 

There was a running play, I think it was in the 2nd half, I remember watching the replay and seen our #74 Costanzo, he had come across the line, turned right to after Vander Esch who was off center left at LB, just as LVE was about to turn to his right towards Mack running up the middle, Constanzo put a lick on LVE as Mack ran through the  hole in back of AC, plus he had a running start going into LVE.  I said to myself AC just put heckuva lick on LVE.  LVE is good and tough but I would think he would not like to Kelly and AC again, not to mention QN.  

I'm thinking plays like this makes it fun for Costanzo, attacking on running plays instead of backing up to form the pass pocket as speed rushers are trying to get around him.

I'm watching the game again, at 10:33 of the 2nd quarter, AC gets a flag for blocking in the back.  That call was nonesense as the DB turned his back to him just before contact.  That probably wasn't fun for AC but it was a good play/run/block that the refs screwed up. 

If I  see the AC block on LVE I mentioned on the previous post, I'll replay with the quarter and time that I seen it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Jesus man, settle down. Did I just take a dig at your family or something? I said he is upgradable and he is. The two on the team I would say right now can’t be upgraded much better is Kelly and Nelson, those two guys are what we should look to as the barometer of being our starters, not a utility fill in guy. I absolutely appreciate everything that Haeg has done with the team, hope we can keep him around as a valuable piece but I don’t want to see him as a 16 game starter because he isn’t dominant in any position he plays. 

We we know that AC will eventually fall off and need replaced and if we are being honest, he too could be upgraded but he isn’t as easy to find a better replacement and all in all, he isn’t doing to bad either.  We don’t really know exactly what we have in the RT spot and the Rg spot as well. I honestly think we need to get either a RG or RT position on day two to compete for one of the positions and let competition dictate who plays where. The team was rolling along just wonderfully though with the 5 guys we had playing until the RG got hurt. Haeg filled in fine but it wasn’t anything dominate. Just because you can play other positions doesn’t mean you can perform them at the highest level needed. 

Hope me that helps calm your nerves on my post. 

You found it necessary to write a mini novel over a simple comment I made?