Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard absolutely killed it this past offseason


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Superman said:

 

I get what you're saying, and the team will hopefully get to the point where we're letting good players go, which means the roster is stacked with good players.

 

But for this year, while a lot of rookies and young players have played major snaps, we actually only have four rookies that have played more than 40% of their unit's snaps this season. Leonard alone on defense (Turay is close, and Lewis and Adams are getting starter snaps lately), and Nelson, Smith and Hines on offense. 

 

Below that 40% mark, we still have a lot of replacement level players getting notable snaps. Those are presumably the players that will be getting pushed out of the door by successive draft classes.

 

And in theory, I'd want to bring rookies on deliberately, not out of necessity.

 

This alludes to the less glamorous, yet still vital, part of roster building. Churning the bottom end hoping you get lucky at the least slowly improve the overall level so when you do have to reach deep you don't drop off quite as far. 

 

You posted something a while back about the need for depth on both sides on the line and I think people got a glimpse of why that is so important when Kelly went down. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every meaningful draft pick looks like a hit right now. Wilkins seems to be in the dog house, Cain is hurt, and Franklin probably isn't athletic enough. Everyone else looks like a player. It's too ear

Keep in mind, it isn't just Ballard that has the eye for talent. He's just the one that pulls the trigger. Ed dodds, rex hogan and co. are some legit scouting leaders that Ballard brought on board. It

His draft looks amazing and though he didn't do a lot in FA he made huge hits in Autry and Ebron. Its nice to have a great GM again.

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Unrealistic expectations are the hallmark of preseason. Remember when Lewis was a bust for being injury prone and when Hines was going to be cut before WK 1 for his fumbling issues?

 

That said so far this class has been way above the curve, I mean I wasn't enthused with Nelson at #6 (I was all for trading back after missing on Chubb) but wow. As for Leonard.. 

 

If we hit on as half as many picks next year it will still be a good class.

 

Hines went from being "the next Darren Sproles!" to the worst, most useless player on the roster, in less than a month.

 

It's hard not to get whiplash trying to keep up with some of this stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

This alludes to the less glamorous, yet still vital, part of roster building. Churning the bottom end hoping you get lucky at the least slowly improve the overall level so when you do have to reach deep you don't drop off quite as far. 

 

You posted something a while back about the need for depth on both sides on the line and I think people got a glimpse of why that is so important when Kelly went down. 

 

And now another starter is hurt on the line, and thankfully Haeg was able to come back from IR, otherwise we'd be in trouble at RG. And I haven't been all that high on Haeg either, but he played well yesterday.

 

I know to some it makes me sound like a malcontent, but the goal should be to be two deep across the OL. Really, across the roster. Doesn't mean it's going to always be that way, but just because we like our starting five doesn't mean we don't need depth.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

To be a  True Fan is to believe in your current  system, and embrace it and not  constantly second guess it until proven wrong.

 

Why do people find it necessary to try to define what it means to be a "true fan"? Some people express their fandom in different ways. That doesn't make them any less of a fan, or make their fandom any less legitimate or genuine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Why do people find it necessary to try to define what it means to be a "true fan"? Some people express their fandom in different ways. That doesn't make them any less of a fan, or make their fandom any less legitimate or genuine.

Only true fans define what a true fan is.  Not true fans challenge that definition.  

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Why do people find it necessary to try to define what it means to be a "true fan"? Some people express their fandom in different ways. That doesn't make them any less of a fan, or make their fandom any less legitimate or genuine.

Superman, You don't have to be Spock from Star Trek to be a fan, You can have all the data that   makes since to your world  to make you a Fan, Even in the series of Star trek . Kirk has to constantly remind Spock that the  human aspect  intervenes  in the  illogical concept  in his world.  So in laments terms " Give a little slack to us non less in formed Fans  of  loyalty based on faith" ok?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

And now another starter is hurt on the line, and thankfully Haeg was able to come back from IR, otherwise we'd be in trouble at RG. And I haven't been all that high on Haeg either, but he played well yesterday.

 

Haeg was definitely an unsung hero in that win. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Superman, You don't have to be Spock from Star Trek to be a fan, You can have all the data that   makes since to your world  to make you a Fan, Even in the series of Star trek . Kirk has to constantly remind Spock that the  human aspect  intervenes  in the  illogical concept  in his world.  So in laments terms " Give a little slack to us non less in formed Fans  of  loyalty based on faith" ok?

 

 

Right on.

 

I'll admit, Constantly Complaining Fan gets on my nerves, as does Second Guess Fan. They're still fans, though.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Regardless of what everyone's beliefs are, Moderators, Moderators, that are Fans, or just passionate Fans that are not just  X 's and 0's To be a  True Fan is to believe in your current  system, and embrace it and not  constantly second guess it until proven wrong. If you feel that your input is that valuable please I urge  you to send your resume to the current  management

to let them know how much you can improve our current situation. I'm Shure that our current  admin will welcome your input. I know as a NFL  watcher of almost 60 years  I for one will welcome your  input.

 

 

What are you even talking about?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Random twitter guy complained about LOS not being as loud as the RCA dome. This was Irsay’s retort. 

 

This team deserves this last home game to get LOUD.

 

(yeah, not really the topic, but didn’t want to make a thread for this.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CamMo said:

 

 

Random twitter guy complained about LOS not being as loud as the RCA dome. This was Irsay’s retort. 

 

This team deserves this last home game to get LOUD.

 

(yeah, not really the topic, but didn’t want to make a thread for this.)

IMO, LOS will never or really can't be as loud because the RCA Dome was so compact and smaller. I thought when we played there we had a Top 5 HFA. Now it's ok but not Top 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO, LOS will never or really can't be as loud because the RCA Dome was so compact and smaller. I thought when we played there we had a Top 5 HFA. Now it's ok but not Top 5.

 

I can’t really speak on the RCA dome because I went to a game when I was extremely young. I don’t remember anything other than it was against the Dolphins and we won.

 

I was at the playoff game against the Chiefs. LOS was rocking. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CamMo said:

 

I can’t really speak on the RCA dome because I went to a game when I was extremely young. I don’t remember anything other than it was against the Dolphins and we won.

 

I was at the playoff game against the Chiefs. LOS was rocking. :) 

The RCA dome was insanely loud at times. So much so the NFL had this crazy idea of trying to control the crowd noise. They even threw yellow at the home team because of crowd noise. Colts got accused of piping in crowd noise when that never happened.

Lucas will never be as loud as the RCA dome just because of the size. You could sit the RCA dome inside Lucas and still have over 800 thousand square feet left over.

As best as I can remember the RCA dome had close to 900 thousands square feet while Lucas has 1.8 million square feet.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

RCA dome was louder but that 4th and 2 New England game was up there.  I swear the Luc was shaking that night.  I truly think Manning getting on a roll and the crowd noise scrambled Belichick's brain that night.  I know mine was.  I don't think the Luc has ever been as loud.  Probably only the AFC Championship game vs the Pats was louder.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • That sounds good.    I would be fine with 6-8 pm and 9-11 pm ET with a 5 minute window for picks, so 16 picks should be done in 120 minutes. It would be like the real draft starting Day 3, where they get only 5 minutes between picks.     Would you have time around the beginning of April to help moderate this along with me? If it is a small window of time, it is a smaller time commitment on my front and yours, so I like this idea.   I can ask @NFLfan @csmopar and @danlhart87 again if they would be willing to make themselves available for those small windows of time thus giving us plenty of options. Let us bring this thread back up then.
    • First of all, I'd say bad fit for us. He's a 3-4 DE. In our system he'd be a tweener, or maybe even a 3T.  Great against the run, average vs the pass. Very solid 3 down guy overall in a 3-4.   IMO, even if he was a fit, we don't need run D help, and he'd be too expensive. Overall just not the benefit and value we need.    
    • Here's what we did on another board a few years ago. Worked out pretty good. 1 Round per evening 2 windows each night... picks 1-16, and then 17-32 (I think it was 7p-8p and 9-10, but could have been 8-9 and 10-11). That way, guys new pretty much when they needed to be there, and only needed to pay attention for roughly an hour per day. Really not even that long. Also gave the mods some time between windows to tidy up. 3 minute clock hence the "flash" term. If you miss a pick, you drop 5 spots (basically giving them an extra 15 minutes). If they missed it a second time, they get bumped to the end of the round and have up to an hour before the next days round starts. If they miss that, they get best player based on their primary needs.  We had 3 threads going at once, and 3 moderators. One thread for the pick announcements and general comments, one with a constantly updated order and big board, and one to manage trades. The big board management was great in terms of keeping it going and checking off who is gone. We also published team needs, but I can't remember if we tracked it except for using it when folks missed their window. Only trades allowed are pick for pick(s) so very little approval needed. No picks for existing players (We did the mock post FA fury, I think we started about 2 weeks prior to the draft).
  • Members

    • CurBeatElite

      CurBeatElite 1,308

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • danlhart87

      danlhart87 7,379

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 2,030

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 9,219

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 5,015

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 4,895

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mr. Irrelevant

      Mr. Irrelevant 267

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dew5150

      dew5150 110

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NannyMcafee

      NannyMcafee 1,663

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • The Fish

      The Fish 1,134

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...