Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Leonard lock up the Defensive Rookie of the Year

Smoke317

I certainly think so.  And as for the so called Colts fans on this forum politicking for LVE, the Maniac made it clear that the race wasn’t that close.  I saw Leonard making plays all over the field while we pitched a shutout.  I also saw LVE repeatedly getting pancaked by Big Q.  

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I would think so. Only Chubb can take it from him if he gets past Kearse's sack record.

Other than that there is nobody even in the conversation. 

Agree. But, if the Colts make the playoffs it should be a no brainer now that Denver is eliminated. 

6 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I would think so. Only Chubb can take it from him if he gets past Kearse's sack record.

Other than that there is nobody even in the conversation. 

When he plays opposite of Von Miller on an established defense that makes his sacks look less glossy in my eyes still when compared to Leonard being THE guy on our defense - as a rookie, in a new defense under a rookie coordinator.......

• Like 3

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

When he plays opposite of Von Miller on an established defense that makes his sacks look less glossy in my eyes still when compared to Leonard being THE guy on our defense - as a rookie, in a new defense under a rookie coordinator.......

I don't think you can knock a guy who is excelling in such an important and difficult stat just because there's another good player on his team.

Both of them are playing at a very similar level though and miles ahead of the competition.  When you consider one was picked 5th (I think) and one was picked in the 2nd round and considered a reach I think that's big credit to our front office.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I certainly think so.  And as for the so called Colts fans on this forum politicking for LVE, the Maniac made it clear that the race wasn’t that close.  I saw Leonard making plays all over the field while we pitched a shutout.  I also saw LVE repeatedly getting pancaked by Big Q.  

What do u mean? #6  overall is to high for a guard; a guard can't be a game changer!! I am being fecitous of course.

Just now, ClaytonColt said:

I don't think you can knock a guy who is excelling in such an important and difficult stat just because there's another good player on his team.

Both of them are playing at a very similar level though and miles ahead of the competition.  When you consider one was picked 5th (I think) and one was picked in the 2nd round and considered a reach I think that's big credit to our front office.

Not knocking him.....just noting that the Maniac has had to overcome more to play at his level - including your mention of draft position and the pundits...

My opinion going into this week was that (barring a florish of sacks by Chubb the last few weeks) it was between Derwin and Leonard.  Problem for Leonard is that he will have had zero national games (the NE game is the one he missed), while James had his best game by far on national TV.  He impressed a lot of voters that day.  This week helped Darius, as James was invisible on Thursday and ended with five tackles (vs. 11 tackles for Leonard against a well-watched Dallas team).  It was a good weekend for Leonard’s chances...

11 minutes ago, 18to87 said:

Agree. But, if the Colts make the playoffs it should be a no brainer now that Denver is eliminated. 

For the rookie award..who makes the playoffs probably isn't an issue

Barkley will be the offensive rookie of the year and his team is in last place

Edited by oldunclemark
spell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I’m not sure I follow you? It was TY vs a LB...it shouldn’t of even been close. A better throw and it’s a likely completion.

football is about angles you gain ground taking good angles it wasnt like he was covering him on a go route. I've seen better coverage from better LB's LVE can run but i was never a LVE fan i feel like he was and is slightly overrated. Also this isnt Zack Thomas or some old school LB to play in the league now on all 3downs you need to be able to run. So being 2yrds behind hilton isnt too impressive to me. Luck was rushed on the throw also if he had another half of second it would have been a touch down.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

For the rookie award..who makes the playoffs probably isn't an issue

Barkley will be the offensive rookie of the year and his team is in last place

Fair. I just think it could give him the edge over Chubb. Are the Colts even in the playoff race still without Leonard?

7 minutes ago, waka waka said:

football is about angles you gain ground taking good angles it wasnt like he was covering him on a go route. I've seen better coverage from better LB's LVE can run but i was never a LVE fan i feel like he was and is slightly overrated. Also this isnt Zack Thomas or some old school LB to play in the league now on all 3downs you need to be able to run. So being 2yrds behind hilton isnt too impressive to me. Luck was rushed on the throw also if he had another half of second it would have been a touch down.

Yup, I said as much. 

The rest of it, whatever. I was impressed, you weren’t. You act like any ol’ LB can do it, I disagree.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 18to87 said:

Fair. I just think it could give him the edge over Chubb. Are the Colts even in the playoff race still without Leonard?

One plus. There will be a lot of media focus on the Colts' last 2 games now..

..the a final week showdown for a playoff berth  will be one of the biggest games of the final Sunday..

Chubb's last 2 games will get a lot less attention

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

No one has politicked for LVE...stupid word. I suppose we aren't allowed to point out or talk about any other good young players in a positive light then.

And questioning people's fanhood for doing that is even dumber.

That said, Leonard (and the Colts) were just better today. Not sure what that means in regards to the other defensive rookies...but LVE won't be winning it over Leonard.

45 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Darius absolutely deserves it. Derwin James playing in the LA market though is huge in his favor, deservedly so or not. 

That is what LVE had going for him too, IMO. But this game likely decided that.

Unfortunately, we don't have the pleasure of watching James vs. Leonard in the regular season. I think right now both players are very deserving. They have both had huge impacts on their teams and make plays all over. Just will have to see what happens.

I think Chubb could get it if he gets the record...but I don't think he is going to do that now.

In addition to his eleven tackles, Leonard also knocked down a couple of passes today. Even when he isn't in on the tackle, he's usually flying to the ball just in case he needs to clean up. The guy is a maniac out there. I don't know how you can give the DROY award to anyone else, and if he isn't All-Pro that would be a crime worthy of a Special Prosecutor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

LVE WHO.....? The young man is good, but Jalen Smith is better AND I didn't see anything out of him today....

Meanwhile, the Maniac was everywhere, as usual. 

Nobody watches the Colts (or the Pacers) in the national media so it's no surprise they rave about LVE and not the Maniac.

People have been raving about Leonard since the season started. It's just not a new story.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It may not be a new story but it is the story.

It's definitely a good story. But you know how it works. They are always looking for new narratives and stories to talk about (the media outside IND). 

If he wins the DROY...that means they are definitely aware of #53.

47 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

No one has politicked for LVE...stupid word. I suppose we aren't allowed to point out or talk about any other good young players in a positive light then.

And questioning people's fanhood for doing that is even dumber.

That said, Leonard (and the Colts) were just better today. Not sure what that means in regards to the other defensive rookies...but LVE won't be winning it over Leonard.

What’s stupid is the denial.  I have no problem giving players credit for their accomplishments. In fact in all of my posts, I said that LVE was playing great. Leonard was just playing greater.  And the numbers backed that up.  So guys resorted to saying Leonard’s Numbers were hollow...

And I stand by what I said about “so called” Colts fans.  And that denial is the dumbest.  Go on the Cowboys forum & show me where their fans were advocating for Leonard & downplaying LVE.  Yet that happened here with our fans. I don’t know if it’s just small market self doubt, as people still say that LVE could have won just because of who Dallas is or Derwin James will win because of the LA market, as if that’s ok or would be justifiable. 

I wholeheartedly disagree with that premise.  It may happen but it would be an egregious robbery.  Leonard is leading the LEAGUE in tackles not just all rookies.  Leading ALL Rookies in many more categories and was even 2nd to Chubb in sacks at a non pass rush position.  And some fans around here seem unwilling to jump on board all in for Leonard.  It’s mind boggling because if Leonard had the same numbers & impact in Dallas or LA, you wouldn’t find a single Cowboys or Chargers fan advocating for anyone else but him.  

But around here...  :facepalm:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

What’s stupid is the denial.  I have no problem giving players credit for their accomplishments. In fact in all of my posts, I said that LVE was playing great. Leonard was just playing greater.  And the numbers backed that up.  So guys resorted to saying Leonard’s Numbers were hollow...

And I stand by what I said about “so called” Colts fans.  And that denial is the dumbest.  Go on the Cowboys forum & show me where their fans were advocating for Leonard & downplaying LVE.  Yet that happened here with our fans. I don’t know if it’s just small market self doubt, as people still say that LVE could have won just because of who Dallas is or Derwin James will win because of the LA market, as if that’s ok or would be justifiable. 

I wholeheartedly disagree with that premise.  It may happen but it would be an egregious robbery.  Leonard is leading the LEAGUE in tackles not just all rookies.  Leading ALL Rookies in many more categories and was even 2nd to Chubb in sacks at a non pass rush position.  And some fans around here seem unwilling to jump on board all in for Leonard.  It’s mind boggling because if Leonard had the same numbers & impact in Dallas or LA, you wouldn’t find a single Cowboys or Chargers fan advocating for anyone else but him.  

Are you saying we should just blindly back Colts players as the greatest regardless of how they compare to others? 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Are you saying we should just blindly back Colts players as the greatest regardless of how they compare to others? 

You clearly didn’t read my post and just formed your own assumption. I said Leonard’s numbers backed up him being D-ROY.  I’m not on here saying Autry is better than Donald or Sheard is better than Mack.  Yet our fans constantly search for reasons to minimize our great players.  I guess only Peyton gets diehard allegiance around here.  So cheer for whomever you guys want.  I’m ride or die with the Horseshoe.  

20 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

99.9% of colts fans love Leonard....not sure why you are focusing on the .1% that don't.  

• Like 1