Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rock8591

Taller DTs

Seems like Ballard has a trend towards that as well. Not just at DE, but also DT. IMO, it's a good way to go, because shorter players seem to get engulfed easily compared with taller players with long arms. Not to mention, it's harder for a taller player to get "fat" when putting on weight.

e.g.

Hunt 6'8''

Woods 6'4''

Stewart 6'4''

Autry 6'5''

Ward 6'5''

I remember when Richard Seymour was one of the first tall 4-3 DTs, prior to him playing 3-4 DE in NE. Leanest 6'6'' 310 lbs I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Seems like Ballard has a trend towards that as well. Not just at DE, but also DT. IMO, it's a good way to go, because shorter players seem to get engulfed easily compared with taller players with long arms. Not to mention, it's harder for a taller player to get "fat" when putting on weight.

e.g.

Hunt 6'8''

Woods 6'4''

Stewart 6'4''

Autry 6'5''

Ward 6'5''

I remember when Richard Seymour was one of the first tall 4-3 DTs, prior to him playing 3-4 DE in NE. Leanest 6'6'' 310 lbs I've ever seen.

Hopefully we get the Notre Dame DT in the 2019 draft 

jeffrey simmons would look nice on this DL given how they like to move players around. But he might be off the board when we pick. You never know i guess. but it does seem like one of the attributes they like is length.

height is important for getting in the passing lanes.  i think a 3-4 NT can get away with being shorter if they have arm length but 4-3 DTs are trying to do more than just eat up blockers 

19 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

I think David Irving could be in our future 

I think you're right there.  He's the sleeper that could turn out to be a steal for us like Ebron and Autry were. 

The reason why we were run on so often in the 2000s...I used to think it's the weight, but now that I think of it, it's the lack of height.

Freeney 6'1''

Mathis - listed at 6'2'', but shorter

Rest of DTs and DEs 6'3'' or less.

Shorter also means shorter arms, making it easier to be engulfed by taller OL, also harder to disengage.