Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Swoop might be a Colt again

dw49

Erik Swoope - TE -  Colts

Colts waived/injured TE Erik Swoope.

He'll revert to IR after failing his physical with the Saints. The injury-prone Swoope is a free agent this offseason.

Source: Nick Underhilll on Twitter 

So I'm pretty sure this is the deal. When he failed the N.O. physical , he reverted back to the Colts. Then instead of just placing him on IR , decided to "injure - waive him. This means they can get him to IR without using a roster spot in the process. If he clears waivers , he would go on the Colts IR. As to roto news saying he's a FA next year , I believe he's restricted and the Colts could protect him with a low round tender .

We could have "waived/injured"  him the 1st time instead of just waiving him and leaving him exposed to a claim.  "Waived/ injured" should have gotten him to IR if they really were interested in keeping him. We have doctors too.  I can't believe we weren't aware of his condition.  I'm not sure he is a restricted FA.  He's been with us for years.  My guess is he is a FA. 

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I hope we keep him.

I'm going to assume we don't know the extent of his injury but  he has the same potential he's always had.....and he's familiar with our offense and our QB..

With that said, I'm not sure of ALL the reasons we cut him.

I’m guessing frequently injured is near the top of my the list I don’t expect to see  him back on the field as a Colt

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

Erik Swoope - TE -  Colts

Colts waived/injured TE Erik Swoope.

He'll revert to IR after failing his physical with the Saints. The injury-prone Swoope is a free agent this offseason.

Source: Nick Underhilll on Twitter 

So I'm pretty sure this is the deal. When he failed the N.O. physical , he reverted back to the Colts. Then instead of just placing him on IR , decided to "injure - waive him. This means they can get him to IR without using a roster spot in the process. If he clears waivers , he would go on the Colts IR. As to roto news saying he's a FA next year , I believe he's restricted and the Colts could protect him with a low round tender .

Please overlook the fact that I forgot he had an E at the end of his name.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

We could have "waived/injured"  him the 1st time instead of just waiving him and leaving him exposed to a claim.  "Waived/ injured" should have gotten him to IR if they really were interested in keeping him. We have doctors too.  I can't believe we weren't aware of his condition.  I'm not sure he is a restricted FA.  He's been with us for years.  My guess is he is a FA. 

I'm pretty sure he wasn't on injured reserve or on the active list for 6 games in his first season. Practice squad doesn't count as a year toward the 4 needed to be a free agent. I think  that would make him a RFA and not a FA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Ballard is definitely moving on...

I can see Ballard adding a TE to be#3 behind Doyle and Ebron.

we'll see what allie-cod can do and perhaps Travis can earn a spot next year.  It is a very important position in this offense, so Ballard will look closely on depth, especially after all the injuries and roster moves we've seen this year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I can see Ballard adding a TE to be#3 behind Doyle and Ebron.

we'll see what allie-cod can do and perhaps Travis can earn a spot next year.  It is a very important position in this offense, so Ballard will look closely on depth, especially after all the injuries and roster moves we've seen this year.

I agree. Im a big fan of Ross Travis as a recieving TE (not sure how great his blocking is). If he can get healthy I'd like to see him a Colt again and see what he can do next yr. He's got excellent size, speed and hands for a TE. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure they will go that route this time around. I think the emergence of MAC as a pass catcher paired with their trust of his blocking ability vs Swoope has given them the confidence to let Swoope go after so many injuries. I’ve not watched a lot of blocking tape on Swoope, but the little I’ve seen, MAC is definitely the better of the two and brings similar upside in the passing game. 

• Like 1