Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Extending some love to Jim Irsay

Fat Clemenza

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Didn’t Irsay pretty much guarantee Luck would return in 2017?

How was he right there?

He pretty much was off by an entire year....

He was wrong there regarding Luck, I think it was more wishful thinking on his part thinking Luck would be back last year. He made a mistake by saying it publicly though. He also had the DUI arrest and a pill addiction we all get that. Having said that he has been a Great owner in reality. Since he has been owner of the Colts we have won more games than anyone except the Patriots. We have also won a SB and been to 2. He made sure we drafted Peyton and Luck as well.

-Whether it's true or not, I have read many stories that Polian was 50/50 on drafting Leaf and Irsay had no part of that. Peyton was Irsay's guy and RG3 wasn't even a thought when the media was trying to hype RG3 up. Irsay seems to love the city of the Indianapolis and does alot for the fans, he is loyal to people he believes in almost to a fault from what I have read and heard. Of course I do not know any of this to be 100% factual because I do not know him, but going by what I have read and heard it seems that way.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm tired of people calling him impetuous, impatient and impulsive. He's actually been the opposite.

This part always bothered me as well and I've read and heard it a number of times. Irsay has at times been impulsive... On Twitter, but in what other ways? I can't think of any. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, a06cc said:

We did the right thing with Luck. I don’t care if Irsay lied. You can see what’s happening to Cam Newton. Look what’s going on with his shoulder. 

Yep best thing we did was keep Luck out last season with that Coaching staff and system we had. So Luck could get fully 100%. I guess we can call Reich a lucky (LUCKY) hire because McDaniels bailed but it is still a solid #2 and in reality and looks to be the better choice. Laugh is on McDaniels. 

• Like 1

I also love the way his daughters call him daddy publicly. He is obviously a great father, and from what I have seen and heard, a huge help to the community. He is simply the best sports owner of any team I have followed in my life, and wouldn't want anyone else. 

Thank you Jim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, J@son said:

This part always bothered me as well and I've read and heard it a number of times. Irsay has at times been impulsive... On Twitter, but in what other ways? I can't think of any. 

Irsay has never fired a coach during the season (pretty much every other owner). He's never hired an offensive coordinator before he hired his head coach (Jerry Jones). He doesn't call down to the sideline from the booth to demand a deep pass be called (Al Davis). He doesn't negotiate player contracts in the media (pretty much every other owner). He stays completely clear of hot button political debates (Bob McNair, Jerry Richardson, etc.) 

It's complete nonsense, promoted by a bunch of media guys who, for some reason, dislike him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I also love the way his daughters call him daddy publicly. He is obviously a great father, and from what I have seen and heard, a huge help to the community. He is simply the best sports owner of any team I have followed in my life, and wouldn't want anyone else. 

Thank you Jim. 

Irsay seems like the type of father that would come down the chimney dressed like Santa with a huge fake beard in his own home to make his daughters laugh and be happy. :funny:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Irsay has never fired a coach during the season (pretty much every other owner). He's never hired an offensive coordinator before he hired his head coach (Jerry Jones). He doesn't call down to the sideline from the booth to demand a deep pass be called (Al Davis). He doesn't negotiate player contracts in the media (pretty much every other owner). He stays completely clear of hot button political debates (Bob McNair, Jerry Richardson, etc.) 

It's complete nonsense, promoted by a bunch of media guys who, for some reason, dislike him.

For some reason it was Michael Wilbon of ESPN that had a big problem with Jimmy. Calling him like his father and saying the nut didn't fall far from the tree.

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

All true, Great Post :thmup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Jim Irsay isn't perfect. His drug/addiction issues are well chronicled. He's had some messiness in his personal life. He used to tweet too much, and sometimes seemed less than coherent. He's a poor public speaker. 

But the man is a great NFL owner. He gives his football people whatever they ask for, whatever they need, he doesn't meddle, and he doesn't stand behind them looking over their shoulder, calling them out about all their mistakes. He spends money, he empowers his people, he supports them, he's patient with them, and every decision he makes about his football team appears to be well considered, not rushed, and not influenced by popular opinion.

I'm tired of people calling him impetuous, impatient and impulsive. He's actually been the opposite.

Word.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was wrong there regarding Luck, I think it was more wishful thinking on his part thinking Luck would be back last year. He made a mistake by saying it publicly though. He also had the DUI arrest and a pill addiction we all get that. Having said that he has been a Great owner in reality. Since he has been owner of the Colts we have won more games than anyone except the Patriots. We have also won a SB and been to 2. He made sure we drafted Peyton and Luck as well.

-Whether it's true or not, I have read many stories that Polian was 50/50 on drafting Leaf and Irsay had no part of that. Peyton was Irsay's guy and RG3 wasn't even a thought when the media was trying to hype RG3 up. Irsay seems to love the city of the Indianapolis and does alot for the fans, he is loyal to people he believes in almost to a fault from what I have read and heard. Of course I do not know any of this to be 100% factual because I do not know him, but going by what I have read and heard it seems that way.

Intetesting tbat you write that you e read stories saying Polian was 50-50 on Manning and Leaf.   I’ve neither heard that or read that and I’ve heard a Polian talk about the decision many times.

And within the last week, BBZ says Polian I referred RG3 to Luck.   And I’ve never heard or read that claim either.

I really wish we were all on the same image here.   Feels like history gets re-written often around here.

Just my two cents....

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Intetesting tbat you write that you e read stories saying Polian was 50-50 on Manning and Leaf.   I’ve neither heard that or read that and I’ve heard a Polian talk about the decision many times.

And within the last week, BBZ says Polian I referred RG3 to Luck.   And I’ve never heard or read that claim either.

I really wish we were all on the same image here.   Feels like history gets re-written often around here.

Just my two cents....

I never heard that Polian said he liked RG3 more but when we took Luck, I know Irsay made sure of that and Grigson was the GM anyway at that point. I will have to go back and look it up but ESPN had talked about how Polian wasn't sure on Peyton or Leaf. That was 20  years ago lol. I guess I remember it because I live here in Indy and everyone was talking about it here.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Jim Irsay isn't perfect. His drug/addiction issues are well chronicled. He's had some messiness in his personal life. He used to tweet too much, and sometimes seemed less than coherent. He's a poor public speaker. 

But the man is a great NFL owner. He gives his football people whatever they ask for, whatever they need, he doesn't meddle, and he doesn't stand behind them looking over their shoulder, calling them out about all their mistakes. He spends money, he empowers his people, he supports them, he's patient with them, and every decision he makes about his football team appears to be well considered, not rushed, and not influenced by popular opinion.

Great post.

Imagine how hard it would be to not meddle and just let everyone do their jobs.

I would not want anyone else owning the Colts.

• Like 4

Irsay has made some questionable decisions at times and I've been very critical of him.  But there are a few things you cannot criticize about the man: his love for this team, his love for football, and his classiness.  I think one thing that puts him atop the list of league's best owners his just how classy he is.  Lots of charitable work, lots of giving back to the community, the guy is 100% class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fatboy said:

He owns Garcia’s Tiger.  For that alone, I like Irsay.  However he constantly has Twitter trivia for nice prizes to we fans - that’s awesome.

I'd love to get my hands on the 64 Gibson SG that used to belong to George Harrison. He also has a 59 Les Paul that is drool worthy. Not to mention the 54 Black Beauty once owned by Les Paul.

I used to deal in vintage guitars. Jim Irsay is my hero.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Irsay has made some questionable decisions at times and I've been very critical of him.  But there are a few things you cannot criticize about the man: his love for this team, his love for football, and his classiness.  I think one thing that puts him atop the list of league's best owners his just how classy he is.  Lots of charitable work, lots of giving back to the community, the guy is 100% class.

I agree 100%, he is a Great owner. Colts have had a Great franchise since he has been owner, I tried to give you a Trophy but I am out of LIKES :thmup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never heard that Polian said he liked RG3 more but when we took Luck, I know Irsay made sure of that and Grigson was the GM anyway at that point. I will have to go back and look it up but ESPN had talked about how Polian wasn't sure on Peyton or Leaf. That was 20  years ago lol. I guess I remember it because I live here in Indy and everyone was talking about it here.

Polian has said the evaluation process was close for months.    He has said that history has made it seem that picking Peyton was an easy slam-dunk decision.   He has stressed that the decision was harder than it might appear.    That a number of teams preferred Leaf because of his much stronger arm.

But ultimately, Polian has made it clear that Peyton made the decision easier down the stretch...   the last few weeks it so....   maybe a month before the draft.

One story Polian loves to tell is that he asked both players separately what they would do with their sizable bonus check...  (10’s of millions of dollars).   Leaf said he and all his best friends were going to some resort in Mexico for a week or so to party and Leaf was picking up the entire tab...   hotel, air, food, drink, everything.

Peyton’s response was that the money was going in the bank and that he wanted the playbook THAT DAY so he could start getting prepared.   Then, at the end of the meeting,  Peyton told Polian to his face that he’d be ok if the Colts passed on him, but that he’d make sure that Polian would regret it for the rest of his life.   That Peyton would personally make sure he’d beat the Colts every time he played them.   Polian said he LOVED that answer and he and his staff knew that night Peyton was their guy.   I’ve heard Polian tell that story several times over the years. He loves to tell it....    :thmup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Polian has said the evaluation process was close for months.    He has said that history has made it seem that picking Peyton was an easy slam-dunk decision.   He has stressed that the decision was harder than it might appear.    That a number of teams preferred Leaf because of his much stronger arm.

But ultimately, Polian has made it clear that Peyton made the decision easier down the stretch...   the last few weeks it so....   maybe a month before the draft.

One story Polian loves to tell is that he asked both players separately what they would do with their sizable bonus check...  (10’s of millions of dollars).   Leaf said he and all his best friends were going to some resort in Mexico for a week or so to party and Leaf was picking up the entire tab...   hotel, air, food, drink, everything.

Peyton’s response was that the money was going in the bank and that he wanted the playbook THAT DAY so he could start getting prepared.   Then, at the end of the meeting,  Peyton told Polian to his face that he’d be ok if the Colts passed on him, but that he’d make sure that Polian would regret it for the rest of his life.   That Peyton would personally make sure he’d beat the Colts every time he played them.   Polian said he LOVED that answer and he and his staff knew that night Peyton was their guy.   I’ve heard Polian tell that story several times over the years. He loves to tell it....    :thmup:

Thanks, that is great stuff. People around here wasn't sure who we would pick because Leaf was awesome in college and had a stronger arm than Manning. When it came to RG3 and Luck, it seemed Irsay was dead set on Luck.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Saying he and Ballard  were lying for thinking Luck would be back has always bothered me. I thought he would be back also and I wasn't lying. I don't think the doctors were sure initially. Being optimistic and outright lying are two different things. 

Personally,  I don’t think Irsay or Ballard were lying.    Never ever thought that.    My response was only a reaction to the OP’s comments.

To be clear, I’ve always been a big supporter of Irsay.    I’ve defended him repeatedly despite all his personal flaws.   I just wince every now and then over his self inflicted wounds made by his comments and deeds.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Great post.

I have mentioned it many times on this forum... IMO, if you want to find out what type of owner Jim Irsay is, research John Gill.

When Gill was arrested for public intoxication (he was found laying face down in a ditch and could not stand when a police officer was trying to talk with him).  The Colts did not cut him, they put him on the non football injury list.  So what you asked.  Well by doing that Gill was able to collect his check every week while he was going through rehab (something else the Colts paid for).  If you don't know who John Gill is... that is part of the story, it's not like Gill was a high draft pick and the Colts were protecting their investment.  He was an undrafted free agent of the Detroit Lions who was released quickly and signed with the Colts.  He was on the team for 2009 and then was arrested during training camp in 2010.  He played in 2 games in his career with 0 starts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Irsay is completely consumed with making his team a champion.  And, as has been mentioned previously, he gives his front office, staff, coaches and players ALL the tools necessary to make that goal a reality.

I love the fact that he doesn't meddle, that he seeks guidance from others when making big decisions and that he is all about community and is very charitable.  He's a man who realizes he can't take it with him, so he takes care of those who don't have the $$$ he has or the good fortune he's had.  He's caring and sharing. 

Seems to be a great father and is very connected to his players.  Just watch him smile and beam in the locker room after a win...on the stage when a former player is being honored.

I can't recall ANY former Colt speaking badly of Jim Irsay.  That's a rare thing in this day and age of multi-billion dollar sports franchises.

Let's all be thankful that he owns the Colts and makes us all feel like we own a part of them, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Great post.

I have mentioned it many times on this forum... IMO, if you want to find out what type of owner Jim Irsay is, research John Gill.

When Gill was arrested for public intoxication (he was found laying face down in a ditch and could not stand when a police officer was trying to talk with him).  The Colts did not cut him, they put him on the non football injury list.  So what you asked.  Well by doing that Gill was able to collect his check every week while he was going through rehab (something else the Colts paid for).  If you don't know who John Gill is... that is part of the story, it's not like Gill was a high draft pick and the Colts were protecting their investment.  He was an undrafted free agent of the Detroit Lions who was released quickly and signed with the Colts.  He was on the team for 2009 and then was arrested during training camp in 2010.  He played in 2 games in his career with 0 starts.

I remember John Gill. I don't think I ever heard that entire story.

He's an easy target due to his personality and communication shortfalls, and lazy media types go for the low hanging fruit. 

But if there was any serious investigation done about how he handles his football business, a very different picture emerges. 

However, because the media in general is very lazy, don't expect his rep to change anytime soon.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I remember many years ago either reading an article or hearing an interview where Polian said they brought in a consultant on the pick.  The consultant said Peyton had the maturity to handle being on a losing team.

• Thanks 1