Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the #1 defense in NFL since week 7

Lawrence Owen

Colts since week 7 have played 7 games giving up only 2168 yards in that span.  (309 yards/game) This is #1 in that 7 week span!  As bad as the Colts were in the first 1/2, once the started winning, they have been doing it with their Defense as well as their offense.  IDC who've Indy has played in that time frame, Being #1 in a 7 week stretch is impressive. Especially since we are still riding that stretch!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Colts since week 7 have played 7 games giving up only 2168 yards in that span.  (309 yards/game) This is #1 in that 7 week span!  As bad as the Colts were in the first 1/2, once the started winning, they have been doing it with their Defense as well as their offense.  IDC who've Indy has played in that time frame, Being #1 in a 7 week stretch is impressive. Especially since we are still riding that stretch!

Very impressive. There's a handful of teams that give up 309 yards per game passing by itself. We are giving that up TOTAL! When we get a no1 CB and some pass rush, this will be a shutdown defense. Just have to keep everyone who is producing, and draft a few more top guys around them. 2019 is the perfect draft to do so!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Playing guys like Derek Anderson and Kessler certainly helps any stats that includes yards. But I thought this past Sunday was very encouraging. 

Still, We have played teams that have Great run games..and other that are good passing.  Yes people can say 'we've only played these people, or these teams', but #1 is great no matter how you slice it.  Yes we played the Titans, but they blew up on the Jags, yes we played the Dolphins, but they just beat the Pats.  These are still NFL teams. And to play that well on D in the past 8 weeks is unbelievable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Definitely promising. The O and D have been very complimentary in a lot of games. 

Sure we haven't played many teams with top Os, but we've played several with good Ds.

It is refreshing that we haven't given up 30 in 7 straight games regardless of the opponent. 

At the end of the day, the team is at minimum improving on both sides of the ball as the year goes on. A couple more pieces in the draft and in FA and we could be really special.

For now.... Just win! 

• Like 1

The eye test verifies as well.  They continue to improve and that's the main thing.  I said this before, but for those who "blame" the weak offenses we've played, how would you feel if they were ranked 27th right now... which honestly I felt they might be at this point in the season.  They play the schedule they were given and have been doing very well lately.  

10 hours ago, cbear said:

The eye test verifies as well.  They continue to improve and that's the main thing.  I said this before, but for those who "blame" the weak offenses we've played, how would you feel if they were ranked 27th right now... which honestly I felt they might be at this point in the season.  They play the schedule they were given and have been doing very well lately.  

First, judging any unit strictly by yardage is fallacious from the start. 

But why do people act like the teams we've played aren't relevant?

This seven game stretch started against the Bills. They were starting a QB that signed 10 days earlier, who hadn't been on a roster since last season. 

The stretch includes a game against Bortles, who has now been benched because he's terrible (and we gave up 300 yards and 2 TDs to him). It includes another game against his replacement, who is also terrible. We didn't have to worry about Fournette in the second game, either.

We knocked Mariota out of the game after two quarters, then finished against Blaine Gabbert. 

We also played the listless Raiders (without Cooper), and the Dolphins with Tannehill fresh off an extended absence. The defense wasn't particularly good in either of those games.

The defense deserves credit for playing well, especially against bad offenses. I'm not saying they shouldn't be recognized for taking care of business, when they do. And that's different than earlier this season, when the defense got shredded by Sam Darnold, for instance. 

But the opposition absolutely matters. We can acknowledge improved play from the defense without pretending the opposition isn't relevant.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Dasteez said:

Now we watch for Eberflus HC interviews being lined up. See Bruce Arians...

Arians was an offensive coordinator for years before his name became hot for head coaching opportunities. This is Eberflus's first season as a DC, I'd be surprised if he received offers this early into his coordinator career.

• Like 1

This^^^^^^^

Every team is looking for the next up and coming coach. We are fortunate to have one of those as our DC. Unfortunately, that may not last long.

3 minutes ago, Hark said:

This^^^^^^^

Every team is looking for the next up and coming coach. We are fortunate to have one of those as our DC. Unfortunately, that may not last long.

We could deny him interviews.... which would be a untasteful move but it could happen

18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Very impressive. There's a handful of teams that give up 309 yards per game passing by itself. We are giving that up TOTAL! When we get a no1 CB and some pass rush, this will be a shutdown defense. Just have to keep everyone who is producing, and draft a few more top guys around them. 2019 is the perfect draft to do so!

We would need to be picking in the top 10 to get that edge rusher. We won't be.

The Colt's Defense is ranked in the top 10 in thirteen significant categories.

In the most important category, total points allowed, I've included only TDs (6 points), FGs (3 points) and 2 point conversions.

RUSH DEFENSE                                                                 PASS DEFENSE                                                          TOTAL DEFENSE

ave. yards per rush                                                          ave yards per pass                                                      ave yards per play 

#1  Texans - 3.6                                                                   #1  Bills  - 10.0                                                               #1  Ravens - 4.7

#5  Colts     - 3.8                                                                   #4 Colts  - 10.6                                                               #9   Colts    -  5.4

#32 Rams   -  5.1                                                                 #32 Raiders 13.4                                                            #32 Raiders   6.5

total rushing yards                                                         passes over 20 yards                                                      forced fumbles 

#1  Saints - 1009                                                                  #1  Bills - 29                                                                    #1  Bills - 18

#8   Colts  - 1338                                                                  #7  Colts - 35                                                                   #3  Colts - 14

#32 Bengals 1925                                                                #32 Chiefs 56                                                                 #32 Chargers 4

longest run allowed                                                        passes over 40 yards                                                     fumbles recovered

#1  Saints - 28                                                                       #1  Bills - 1                                                                     #1  Browns 13

#6  Colts  -  34                                                                       #2  Colts - 3                                                                    #3    Colts  - 10

#32 Jaguars  99                                                                     #32 Raiders 13                                                              #32  Falcons - 2

rushing 1st down %                                                         passing 1st down %                                                        total TD's allowed

#1  Bears - 19.3                                                                    #1  Bears 49.7                                                                #1  Vikings - 24

#4  Colts  -  21.0                                                                   #10  Colts 53.0                                                                #7     Colts -  29

#32 Chiefs - 31.1                                                                   #32 Lions 61.5                                                              #32  Bengals  44

TOTAL POINTS ALLOWED

TOP 10                                                                  Bottom 10

#1     Bears - 208                                                       #23   Dolphins - 281

#2    Ravens  212                                                       #24   Giants     - 284

#3     Titans - 213                                                       #25   Browns  - 286

#4  Cowboys  216                                                      #26   Panthers  289

#5  Chargers  227                                                      #27    49rs       - 293 

#6  Seahawks 228                                                     #28    Chiefs    - 308

#7    Texans  - 233                                                     #29    Falcons  - 313

#8    Vikings - 236                                                      #30    Bucs      -  321

#9    Jaguars - 242                                                      #31   Raiders  - 330

#10    Colts     - 249                                                      #32   Bengals  - 345

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Once our season ends, we can't deny coaches interviews for HC positions.

You're the coaching interview guru, right?

Never said I was the guru.  But considering our season wont end until we win the Superbowl in Feb, we can deny interviews... :hat:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Superman said:

This seven game stretch started against the Bills. They were starting a QB that signed 10 days earlier, who hadn't been on a roster since last season. 

The stretch includes a game against Bortles, who has now been benched because he's terrible (and we gave up 300 yards and 2 TDs to him). It includes another game against his replacement, who is also terrible. We didn't have to worry about Fournette in the second game, either.

We knocked Mariota out of the game after two quarters, then finished against Blaine Gabbert. 

We also played the listless Raiders (without Cooper), and the Dolphins with Tannehill fresh off an extended absence. The defense wasn't particularly good in either of those games.

The defense deserves credit for playing well, especially against bad offenses. I'm not saying they shouldn't be recognized for taking care of business, when they do. And that's different than earlier this season, when the defense got shredded by Sam Darnold, for instance. 

But the opposition absolutely matters. We can acknowledge improved play from the defense without pretending the opposition isn't relevant.

You make a pretty valid point. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Never said the opposition wasn't relevant.  Of course it is. 

If they had been playing the Saints, chiefs, rams, every week, we may be calling them bums and also calling for eberflus head.  But it is what it is and the results tell me at least, that I would classify them as a "good" defense based on their recent play. 

I don't expect them to be as impressive this Sunday due to the opposition.  But one game won't change my opinion.  7 games would no matter the opponent. 

9 minutes ago, cbear said:

Their run d has always been pretty solid, even early on.  Not like the Maurice Jones drew days where we made every rb look like Jim brown in his prime.  

This^ Fred Taylor says hello! :) Backs used to salivate at the thought of running against us back then. Not so much now, and it makes me giggle inside and i’m 47 lol!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

This^ Fred Taylor says hello! :) Backs used to salivate at the thought of running against us back then. Not so much now, and it makes me giggle inside and i’m 47 lol!

It gives me a nice warm feeling inside, and I'm older than you!  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Finball said:

We are #1 points allowed too. HOU is within 2 points, LAC 4. HOU has also had soft Schedule, LAC a bit harder. DEN is 8 points behind us but they've played against Mahomes, Ben and Rivers in that stretch, along with Watson.

I hadn't figured out our ranking. Have a link for that?

I know we should be pretty high on that list, only giving up 17 points/game over the last seven games. Of course, that includes 5 points to the Bills with Derek Anderson, and 6 points to the Jags with Cody Kessler... Take those two games out and it goes up to about 22/game, more in line with our season average.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I hadn't figured out our ranking. Have a link for that?

I know we should be pretty high on that list, only giving up 17 points/game over the last seven games. Of course, that includes 5 points to the Bills with Derek Anderson, and 6 points to the Jags with Cody Kessler... Take those two games out and it goes up to about 22/game, more in line with our season average.

here