Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vikings OC John DeFilippo fired

chad72

I want him on the Colts staff.

The issue in Minnesota is his philosophy is diametrically opposed to Mike Zimmer's, who wants to run a "ground and pound" offense even though they're paying a volume QB $28m/year. Whether DeFilippo is better than he's shown in Minnesota or not can't be known, but it was obviously not a good fit.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

I want him on the Colts staff.

The issue in Minnesota is his philosophy is diametrically opposed to Mike Zimmer's, who wants to run a "ground and pound" offense even though they're paying a volume QB $28m/year. Whether DeFilippo is better than he's shown in Minnesota or not can't be known, but it was obviously not a good fit.

As what?

While your points may be valid, there would be too many cooks in the kitchen with Sirianni, him and Reich, I wouldn't want the Colts to do that. I get it - you want an assembly line of offensive minds that the Colts can have on stand by but with Sirianni being promoted from WR coach to OC to work with Reich, we have to give time for the relationship to flourish without introducing other cooks in the offensive kitchen. Just my two cents.

He will be an instant OC somewhere else and Doug Pederson will take him back with open arms since it will free up some play calling for him, Eagles fans (and probably coaches too) want him back so bad. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

As what?

While your points may be valid, there would be too many cooks in the kitchen with Sirianni, him and Reich, I wouldn't want the Colts to do that. I get it - you want an assembly line of offensive minds that the Colts can have on stand by but with Sirianni being promoted from WR coach to OC to work with Reich, we have to give time for the relationship to flourish without introducing other cooks in the offensive kitchen. Just my two cents.

He will be an instant OC somewhere else and Doug Pederson will take him back with open arms since it will free up some play calling for him, Eagles fans (and probably coaches too) want him back so bad. 

We don't have an actual QB coach; that was his role in Philly. Offensive assistant, someone in the booth feeding Reich and Sirianni info, whatever. Even if he doesn't stay, just another mind that Reich vibes with.

More likely he winds up back in Philly, but he and Reich are obviously on the same page.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

We don't have an actual QB coach; that was his role in Philly. Offensive assistant, someone in the booth feeding Reich and Sirianni info, whatever. Even if he doesn't stay, just another mind that Reich vibes with.

More likely he winds up back in Philly, but he and Reich are obviously on the same page.

This was an interesting read from someone on Philly.com, not the glowing endorsement I thought I would read about DeFilippo:

www2.philly.com/eagles/john-defilippo-fired-eagles-carson-wentz-doug-pederson-mike-groh-20181211.html

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

This was an interesting read from someone on Philly.com, not the glowing endorsement I thought I would read about DeFilippo:

www2.philly.com/eagles/john-defilippo-fired-eagles-carson-wentz-doug-pederson-mike-groh-20181211.html 

FWIW, Philly fans (he writes about 76ers too at least) think that dude is a hack and not reliable at all.

4 hours ago, Finball said:

He was obviously not going to be worth the money but that GM is still one of the best in the business.

I agree with you but a large percentage of Vikings fans want him fired, as he has not done a good job with the OL.

Why do you believe he is a top GM?

23 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree with you but a large percentage of Vikings fans want him fired, as he has not done a good job with the OL.

Why do you believe he is a top GM?

This is probably at least partly on the contract/cap guy the Vikings have but Vikings extensions to their own players have been outstanding, maybe the best in the league. They were proactive when extending Thielen, Griffen and Linval and this got them for less guaranteed money or total money or both. Thielen contract is probably the best in the league. Hunter and Diggs deals were fantastic compared to similar players at their positions. Zimmer as HC probably helps a lot when it comes to defensive players but they don't usually sign big time busts in FA. Greg Jennings was probably the worst miss. Wallace trade was bit stupid as he had pretty big cap hit. Bradford trade was bad and the OL has been an issue for years but other than that, he doesn't really have flaws imo.

Zimmer helps in this too but he's been there only since '14 but I think Spielman got the full/final say in '11 and since then, only two defensive players he's drafted in the first 3 rounds have been busts, 3 if we count Mackensie Alexander who is only decent. I don't count Floyd since he was on his way of becoming a great player before a failed surgery ruined his career. Rhodes and Smith are among the best at their position and both were pre-Zimmer.

And on offense, only Ponder was a truly terrible pick. Kalil mysteriously started sucking after rookie year IIRC, but he was a decent starter for a while. I guess he's a relative bust, like Treadwell and Patterson and the latter is a pretty good gadget player.

• Thanks 1