Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The chances of keeping our Colts Coordinators?

Every season teams need a new head coach and the first to get interviews for any job are the offensive and defensive coordinators. After this season, it will be very obvious that the Colts will be a hot team for coaching candidates. I really like the direction the team is going and alot of the great recent gameplay has not only to do with Reich but the coordinators. How do you maintain your coordinators consistent? Can they just offer them larger contracts to keep them? I would hate to see coordinators come in and out for Andrew Luck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

Every season teams need a new head coach and the first to get interviews for any job are the offensive and defensive coordinators. After this season, it will be very obvious that the Colts will be a hot team for coaching candidates. I really like the direction the team is going and alot of the great recent gameplay has not only to do with Reich but the coordinators. How do you maintain your coordinators consistent? Can they just offer them larger contracts to keep them? I would hate to see coordinators come in and out for Andrew Luck.

Wow!    He’s been missing for most of one of the most enjoyable seasons in Colts history.....

Now he’s back...   and LOOK,  he’s got a negative post?!?    Who saw THAT coming?!?    (Sarcasm alert!)

Yes, we can try to entice our coaches not to leave...   you mean,   You don’t know this?    Of course you did.....

• Like 5
  • Confused 3
13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow!    He’s been missing for most of one of the most enjoyable seasons in Colts history.....

Now he’s back...   and LOOK,  he’s got a negative post?!?    Who saw THAT coming?!?    (Sarcasm alert!)

Yes, we can try to entice our coaches not to leave...   you mean,   You don’t know this?    Of course you did.....

I fail to see how its a negative post...? 

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Lmao,can't let us enjoy it .Always negative thoughts .

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

Offer more money.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I fail to see how its a negative post...? 

Really?     It’s hard to see?

He hasn’t posted in about 10-11 weeks and his first post back is about the possibility of losing a coordinator after the season which is not even over yet?

If you know the poster,  this is typical of what he does....   many other posters simply refer to him as a troll....

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't think we lose anybody by poaching after 1 season.

You know the Browns or the Bills would be desperate enough to take someone from the Colts organization. Lets not forget the Browns picked up Grigson. LOL!

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?     It’s hard to see?

He hasn’t posted in about 10-11 weeks and his first post back is about the possibility of losing a coordinator after the season which is not even over yet?

If you know the poster,  this is typical of what he does....   many other posters simply refer to him as a troll....

Yeah it's hard to see, however I also dont know the poster. To me it just seems like a post with actual worry about out coordinators being poached.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

You know the Browns or the Bills would be desperate enough to take someone from the Colts organization. Lets not forget the Browns picked up Grigson. LOL!

And have already let Grigson go.    That happened long before this season even started.

I think he’s scouting for Seattle now...  but not positive.

1 hour ago, bap1331 said:

We can always pull a NE style hook-job last minute as they are clearing their desks like Joshy-boy.

You know, bring out some "dirt" you have on them to force them to stay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And have already let Grigson go.    That happened long before this season even started.

I think he’s scouting for Seattle now...  but not positive.

I think Grigs would be the perfect foil to Gruden out in Oakland/Vegas. MAKE IT HAPPEN, FOOTBALL GODS!!!

2 hours ago, bap1331 said:

if we were 9-1 or even 9-3 i would probably say yes there is a chance but 7-6 nah the colts should be safe from them vacant Coordinator poachers lol:D

2 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Great question.  Whenever an offense or defense does well the risk is there of losing a coordinator.   I think we will be fine, but Eberflus was well sought after before coming here, so he may garner some interest.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How is he being negative? He’s saying he likes the coaches we have and doesn’t want to lose them. If that’s being negative then I guess I’m negative as well. I don’t see anything wrong with him wanting to keep this awesome coaching staff that we currently have.

• Like 3

Teams will fear that Sirianni is a product of Reich’s offensive scheme and play calling. No worries there. 

Most teams will be looking for the offensive genius head coach, so Eberflus should be safe too.

I’m not worrried. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Teams will fear that Sirianni is a product of Reich’s offensive scheme and play calling. No worries there. 

Most teams will be looking for the offensive genius head coach, so Eberflus should be safe too.

I’m not worrried. 

Lol if we continue to have success and improve over the next year or two Sirianni will get probed. Not way around it. Its gonna happen. 

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, Calmack said:

Lol if we continue to have success and improve over the next year or two Sirianni will get probed. Not way around it. Its gonna happen. 

I agree, but don’t think there’s anything to be concerned about this offseason. 

52 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

McVay was an OC for 3 years beforehand. Didn’t happen after one year 

It took Nagy less than a year of calling plays. 

But I don't think our coordinators are going anywhere any time soon. Sirianni is not calling plays and never has called plays; he has very little resume so far. Eberflus is in his first year as a coordinator, and while he's apparently highly thought of, his unit isn't setting the world on fire, and offensive head coaches are the trend right now.

As for how a team keeps their coordinators, you really can't. If they get a shot at a head coaching job, there's nothing you can really do to stop them from taking it. And really, a team shouldn't want to hold their guys back. 

I'm usually not a fan of the HC being the primary play caller, but it seems to be working well this year. And the main benefit is that, if the OC leaves, the QB doesn't have to learn a new offense, system, play caller, coaching style, etc. We can basically set up an assembly line of offensive assistants, in the event that Sirianni did actually get interest from another team. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm usually not a fan of the HC being the primary play caller, but it seems to be working well this year. And the main benefit is that, if the OC leaves, the QB doesn't have to learn a new offense, system, play caller, coaching style, etc. We can basically set up an assembly line of offensive assistants, in the event that Sirianni did actually get interest from another team. 

Excellent point...

I was listening to a sports talk show yesterday and they were predicting  candidates for HC job in the NFL.  Sirianni name was brought up.

Just curious on peoples thoughts  out there if these two will receive offers from other teams due to the success/improvement the Colts have shown.

While I think both coordinators have done a solid job this year we/media have to remember a couple of things:

1)  Frank calls the plays

2)  We're 7-6, barely 500

3)  Our defense is outside top 10 

I don't think either has been good enough to get a HC gig. Give it a couple of years I feel the conversation of losing them will be much more real. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm with Superman.  (what an incredible meme)

Nick Sirianni and Matt Eberflus are both 1st year coordinators.  I think it is highly unlikely that either one would be instantly tabbed for a HC position after only 1 year experience.

my opinion, only way that remotely happens is if we somehow sneak into the playoffs, go on a run and win the big dance. Only way that happens.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Calmack said:

Abducted by aliens and probed or

is there another type of probing that

I'm not aware of?

@NewColtsFan Easy there buddy. No reason to get hostel.

To answer the OP's question, I doubt it. Teams usually like to see a string of seasons of success before they consider interviewing a OC or DC for HC and this is both Nick's and Matt's first year as coordinators.  

I'm not very worried about losing them this year because it's their first year.  

Next year if we're doing well, then that is a certain possibility.  

Our OC doesn't call plays though so that might hurt his stock a bit.  But to be fair it won't kill his stock.  Frank didn't call plays in Philly either.  However Frank was also a guy who got the job because the Colt's got left at the altar at the last minute after all the top candidates had already been hired.  (So his lack of calling plays did prevent him from being considered a top candidate despite the fact that he had Wentz playing at an MVP level in just his second year in the league)

17 hours ago, bap1331 said:

I think we'd have to make a pretty deep playoff run before we have to worry about a purge on our coaching staff, especially considering that pretty much all of them are rookies at their current positions.