Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Beating Dallas

Dark Superman

10 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

If YPC are so important, who has a higher YPC - Zeke or Miller?

Also Watson has 410 yards rushing where Prescott has 303.

Its not the QBs, its not they yards per game, its not the yards per carry between the "feature back". Why is Dallas better on the groud?

I think it is mostly because of Elliot.  

They also have a good O-line.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Peterson has had some big games this year, Fournette as well. I think we played the Jets a week after they ran for 300 yards, and we held them to barely a hundred and a low YPC, but let Darnold eat up the secondary. 

Dallas is probably the best rushing attack we've faced this season. Then we get Barkley right after, and he's on fire lately (134 yards/game and a 6.9 average, in his last four games, 4 rushing TDs). 

The Eagles/Texans/Patriots stretch early in the season wasn't fun. Maybe we can do better in this Texans/Cowboys/Giants stretch.

Barkley terrifies me. Thats gonna be one tough player to stop. And he's doing it with a bottom tier o line. 

Just a few questions that I am hoping you guys can help me with:

1. Does Dallas run the same defense this year as they did last year with Eberflus?

2. Do we run a similar defense as Dallas? If so, does it help knowing that Andrew Luck can practice against this style of defense?

3. Will Eberflus be able to help game plan against his old team?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I think to win against Dallas that Coach Reich needs to keep that beard!!!  He stopped shaving and we started winning!

Fear the beard!! I'm superstitious like that about mine. I feel like if I shave my beard I'm going to get weaker in the gym lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Barkley terrifies me. Thats gonna be one tough player to stop. And he's doing it with a bottom tier o line. 

Me too.   Elliot and Barkley in back to back weeks.   I hope we are vindicated not exposed. 

35 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Make sure Amari is covered! He was the reason they won yesterday... if Cooper is even semi open seems Dax can get him the ball..which is odd seeing as how he sails it high on almost everyone else

Cooper will be a problem, so we need to have the other receivers try to beat us

43 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

If YPC are so important, who has a higher YPC - Zeke or Miller?

Also Watson has 410 yards rushing where Prescott has 303.

Its not the QBs, its not they yards per game, its not the yards per carry between the "feature back". Why is Dallas better on the groud?

Ezekiel Elliott is a better RB than Lamar Miller...top 3 in the NFL. That is not up for debate. And Miller's YPC is buoyed by three monster games...Zeke is much more consistent.

Yes, their YPC are .1 apart...but Miller isn't the short yardage RB...that's Alfred Blue...and his YPC is 2.8. Give Miller most of Blue's carries...and I bet his YPC goes down. Not to mention teams have to respect Hopkins and Watson and can't stack the box.

Meanwhile, Elliott gets basically every carry...and has faced many stacked boxes due to the lack of weapons on offense. And still has a 4.7 YPC.

PFR's EXP does a good job at looking beyond the box score and calculating effectiveness...and it has DAL at #5 and HOU at #18.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Ezekiel Elliott is a better RB than Lamar Miller...top 3 in the NFL. That is not up for debate. And Miller's YPC is buoyed by three monster games...Zeke is much more consistent.

Yes, their YPC are .1 apart...but Miller isn't the short yardage RB...that's Alfred Blue...and his YPC is 2.8. Give Miller most of Blue's carries...and I bet his YPC goes down. Not to mention teams have to respect Hopkins and Watson and can't stack the box.

Meanwhile, Elliott gets basically every carry...and has faced many stacked boxes due to the lack of weapons on offense. And still has a 4.7 YPC.

PFR's EXP does a good job at looking beyond the box score and calculating effectiveness...and it has DAL at #5 and HOU at #18.

We can agree to disagree on the Cowboys as a team debate but I will add one last stat in regards to your comment;

8 man fronts faced:

Zeke sees them on 26.12 %

Lamar Miller sees them on 23.16%. 

I do think that speaks to Zeke's effectiveness as well. Zeke is certainly legit. 

8 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

We can agree to disagree on the Cowboys as a team debate but I will add one last stat in regards to your comment;

8 man fronts faced:

Zeke sees them on 26.12 %

Lamar Miller sees them on 23.16%. 

I do think that speaks to Zeke's effectiveness as well. Zeke is certainly legit. 

This site has Zeke at 29.9% against 8+ man boxes: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/ezekiel-elliott/#!#current-year. That's ~30% of 268 carries...which is 71 carries. Zeke is incredibly consistent across different looks.

Miller is at 23% against stacked boxes...or 44 carries. And Miller has 40% of his snaps out of shotgun.

Interestingly, Miller has an incredibly high 7.8 YPC against stacked boxes. Probably propped up by his 97 yard run against TEN (who had 8 in the box)...but impressive nonetheless. 

Not to take away from Miller...I just think DAL is the better running team. 

• Like 2

Just now, shastamasta said:

This site has Zeke at 29.9% against 8+ man boxes: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/ezekiel-elliott/#!#current-year. That's ~30% of 268 carries...which is 71 carries. Zeke is incredibly consistent across different looks.

Great insight and back and forth today. 

Zeke is for sure a stud. Hopefully the Colts can slow him down (no easy task for sure) and make Dak win the game.

• Like 1

Against teams with stout run defenses, the Cowboys score few points:

The Cowboys have played 4 games against the top 12 run defenses (yards per carry allowed)

#1 Saints         (3.6)         Cowboys scored 13 points

#2 Texans       (3.6)         Cowboys scored 16 points

#6 Colts           (3.8)          Yet to be determined

#11 Panthers  (4.2)         Cowboys scored   8 points

#12 Titans       (4.2)         Cowboys scored 14 Points         

• Like 2

This looks like a tough match up for the Colts.  They will have to be on their A-game to win this one.  Zeke and Amari Cooper are a load to handle. Dak is good enough to give the Colts problems.  We all know how Indy often seems to make poor QBs look better than they are.  Dallas has drilled us in the Luck era thus far.  I’m sick of losing big to them.  Hopefully Reich and his staff are more familiar with them given their NFC East pedigree. Colts have played tough against their NFC East opponents thus far this season.  Colts gotta find a way to win this one to keep their season alive. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Houston might have the worst o line in the league that’s their Achilles’ heel but Dallas has a worst qb

That Worst QB just passed for multiple TDs on a pretty darn good Philly D. The same Philly D that was getting after Luck.

4 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Philadelphia's secondary devastated by injuries,where you been?

Don't matter. He had the time to throw for it. I'm suspecting he will have  plenty of time against us. I think we may have problems creating pressure. They aren't as good as usual but I still think they are good enough up front to slow our rush down.

13 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Keys to defeating Dallas.

- The Colts need to come out of the gate strong and try to put up points early. The Cowboys have some scary weapons on offense and one of those weapons is Ezekial Elliot. The last thing you want is to be playing from behind in a game where their offense is relying heavily on Elliot to run the ball down our defenses throat to manage the game clock and wear out our young defense. Come out strong and force Dallas to be one dimensional and have to rely on Dak Prescott to beat you through the air.

- Dak Prescott isn't good, but he can run and extend plays with his feet which is something we need to eliminate as much as possible. Gotta get to the QB often and not allow him to scramble around and allow his receivers to get open or to break off long runs with his feet. On third and long, I'm bringing guys like Leonard into
blitz in order to help prevent Prescott time in the pocket.

- Help contain their defensive lineman from getting to Luck. If we can protect Luck and allow him some time in the pocket, he will exploit their secondary. Hopefully, we'll be able to establish a lead and the run early to help Luck in the passing game. Dallas has a solid defensive line and linebackers, but I'm not at all impressed with their secondary. 

- Need to contain Amare Cooper. I know we don't have a shutdown corner to shadow him so I'm guessing we'll be using our committee of corners to shifts in covering Cooper. He's been on a tear these past few weeks and we can't allow him to have another game like he had yesterday against Philly.

- Play smart and minimize the stupid penalties.

I just really hate Dallas and hope we show up on Sunday. #GoColts

Double team Lawrence EVERY down