Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Beating Dallas

Dark Superman

Keys to defeating Dallas.

- The Colts need to come out of the gate strong and try to put up points early. The Cowboys have some scary weapons on offense and one of those weapons is Ezekial Elliot. The last thing you want is to be playing from behind in a game where their offense is relying heavily on Elliot to run the ball down our defenses throat to manage the game clock and wear out our young defense. Come out strong and force Dallas to be one dimensional and have to rely on Dak Prescott to beat you through the air.

- Dak Prescott isn't good, but he can run and extend plays with his feet which is something we need to eliminate as much as possible. Gotta get to the QB often and not allow him to scramble around and allow his receivers to get open or to break off long runs with his feet. On third and long, I'm bringing guys like Leonard into
blitz in order to help prevent Prescott time in the pocket.

- Help contain their defensive lineman from getting to Luck. If we can protect Luck and allow him some time in the pocket, he will exploit their secondary. Hopefully, we'll be able to establish a lead and the run early to help Luck in the passing game. Dallas has a solid defensive line and linebackers, but I'm not at all impressed with their secondary. 

- Need to contain Amare Cooper. I know we don't have a shutdown corner to shadow him so I'm guessing we'll be using our committee of corners to shifts in covering Cooper. He's been on a tear these past few weeks and we can't allow him to have another game like he had yesterday against Philly.

- Play smart and minimize the stupid penalties.

I just really hate Dallas and hope we show up on Sunday. #GoColts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My #1 concern vs the Cowboys: The refs

1. Their strength is containing WRs, so TE and RB usage at home will be in full throttle.

2. They have good sideline-to-sideline speed and a great DL to push the pocket. So quick hitters, YAC, and going north-south is more important than east-west. 

3. Stopping the run and making Prescott beat you is the #1 goal. Outside Amari Cooper, no one is worth double teaming but you have to roll Hooker towards Cooper, hands down and not make it easy for Prescott.

4. Don't turn the ball over since the Cowboys win games despite Prescott because of their D.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

- The Colts need to come out of the gate strong and try to put up points early. The Cowboys have some scary weapons on offense and one of those weapons is Ezekial Elliot. The last thing you want is to be playing from behind in a game where their offense is relying heavily on Elliot to run the ball down our defenses throat to manage the game clock and wear out our young defense. Come out strong and force Dallas to be one dimensional and have to rely on Dak Prescott to beat you through the air.

- Dak Prescott isn't good, but he can run and extend plays with his feet which is something we need to eliminate as much as possible. Gotta get to the QB often and not allow him to scramble around and allow his receivers to get open or to break off long runs with his feet. On third and long, I'm bringing guys like Leonard into
blitz in order to help prevent Prescott time in the pocket.

- Help contain their defensive lineman from getting to Luck. If we can protect Luck and allow him some time in the pocket, he will exploit their secondary. Hopefully, we'll be able to establish a lead and the run early to help Luck in the passing game. Dallas has a solid defensive line and linebackers, but I'm not at all impressed with their secondary. 

- Play smart and minimize the stupid penalties.

I just really hate Dallas and hope we show up on Sunday. #GoColts

If we can do the same to Dallas as we cifs the Texans, we might be ok. This will be a good test for our D line against an elite RB and a time when Hooker will be put to the test again with hot WR in Cooper.  Those TEs might have a good game against us though. 

Dak isn't very good. Make him beat the D, not Zeke. I don't think they're going to score a bunch, but their 17-24 points is going to be hard to match.

This would be a good week for Kelly to get back. He makes a sizable difference in the run game and running with authority would be the way against that D.

Aside, but this will be an issue as people up in the northern part of the state figure out that the Bears and Colts both kick at one on Fox... I really don't want to watch Trubisky under normal conditions (he sucks, honestly), but if the Colts game is bounced for the Bears/Packers.. that'd be no good.

• Like 1

This is a very strong Cowboys team we are facing. They are motivated and they know the division is theirs to lose with the Redskins completely free-falling and Philly unable to scheme against opponents. 

This will be a tough test, but if Luck plays lights out and the defense creates opportunities then it can be a good game. 

I think it will be a close high scoring game. 

We're going to have to watch their blitz. They have big, strong, and fast linebackers that can make plays and get after the QB. I think we're going to have to shore up on the O-Line front and have more protection like we did against the Texans or this will be a nightmare game.

1 hour ago, DarkSuperman said:

I think that is exactly what needs to happen.  

Clearly I'm in the minority but I think Dallas is the most overrated team in the league. They beat 1 good team in the Saints and that comes with an * because it was a home Thursday night game. 

Their defense has faced two teams in the top 10 on offense (Saints on Thursday) and the Panthers.

Their passing offense is #25 in the league and that includes Cooper. Their passing game is worse than the Texans.

Their run game is very good but its actually less effective than the Texans run offense and that includes QB yards because Watson and Prescott have very similar running stats.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Clearly I'm in the minority but I think Dallas is the most overrated team in the league. They beat 1 good team in the Saints and that comes with an * because it was a home Thursday night game. 

Their defense has faced two teams in the top 10 on offense (Saints on Thursday) and the Panthers.

Their passing offense is #25 in the league and that includes Cooper. Their passing game is worse than the Texans.

Their run game is very good but its actually less effective than the Texans run offense and that includes QB yards because Watson and Prescott have very similar running stats.

I may feel the same if I hadn't watched them a couple times recently.   The "D" is for real.  Their running game is stout.  Cooper has changed the offense more than I though a single WR could.    They have won 5 in a row.  

27 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I think you are correctly in the minority for good reason.  I think this is the best team to come into Indy all season, including Houston.

BTW - the * you assign to their win over the Saints is not good.  The Saints played on Thanksgiving night too so both teams came into that game off a regular work week.

• Like 2

Outside perspective:

IMO the #1 Key to beating the Cowboys will be your line giving Luck time to throw the Ball.  This is a D that has made both Breese, and Wentz the last two weeks look either average or below average all game.

Also the Colts can not be one dimensional as that willget Luck killed IMO. The Colts need run the ball enough keep the Biys from just coming after Luck every play.

On D it will be harder, the Cowboys have a couple decent WR, and Elliot is a damn good pass catching RB.  This week is a tall order especially since it’s hard take away more than one thing.  I say stop Zek and pray Dax makes mistakes throwing the ball.

3 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Jones will probably guard ty. Jones has been great all year and is a top 3 corner according to pff 

But he holds a lot. He figures giving up the 5 yard holding penalty is better than giving TY a 30 or 40 yard reception. If he holds 10 times and gets called just 3 times for it, it is a win for him and Dallas.

TY doesn't get many calls, if the Texans game is any indication with Joseph hugging him several times.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

I say stop Zeke and pray Dak makes mistakes throwing the ball.

Yeah. Dak cannot lead his WRs right and he is very very streaky to say the least. That should be the formula. They run a lot of misdirection screens, so need to be on the look out for the same. Because of Dak's inabilities, the game doesn't get away from opponents.

If Luck is on a roll and we get to a 14-3 or 21-10 lead, things could get ugly for Dallas. I think our D sets the tone and we win 27-20.

We must and I mean must play 4 strong quarters against these guys we need to put the best 3 games together that this team has ever done all they need is 3 more wins and on Ravens loss and they are in handle what the colts can control winning their last 3 games. That starts this week with a red hot Dallas team slow down Elliott and force Dak to make mistakes should add up to a colts victory.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Overall I think we need a very similar gameplan as to what we used against Houston to be honest with you. Really need to plug that Dallas running game.

Agreed. I think D. Watson > D. Prescott, and our defense even made Watson look mediocre yesterday.. Go into the game with the mindset to stuff the run, and Dak will gift us with at least 1 INT. 

Just now, CamMo said:

Agreed. I think D. Watson > D. Prescott, and our defense even made Watson look mediocre yesterday.. Go into the game with the mindset to stuff the run, and Dak will gift us with at least 1 INT. 

I think that Dallas Oline is better than Houston though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I think you are correctly in the minority for good reason.  I think this is the best team to come into Indy all season, including Houston.

BTW - the * you assign to their win over the Saints is not good.  The Saints played on Thanksgiving night too so both teams came into that game off a regular work week.

That's a fair point and I forgot the timing of that game- thanks for the call out.

I think most of my doubt comes from the medias love for all things Cowboys, which has historically been overblown. I suppose Ill believe it when I see it. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

By what metric is HOU's run game more effective than DAL? DAL has a higher YPC and a higher EXP...and they have Ezekiel Elliot.

Thier passing game has been much better with Cooper on board. I doubt they are #25 since he showed up.

They have faced far better offenses than the Colts. According to EXP, they have faced 4 of the top 10 offenses...and have one more on their schedule...as well as IND.

If anything, DAL was underrated. Not really anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

When’s the last time we beat Dallas

I hadn't thought about it, but 2002. Goodness, that's not fun to say. 

In 2006, they were the first team the Colts lost to, after a 9-0 start. In 2010, we lost to them in OT (Manning was in the middle of one of the worst stretches of his career, 11 picks in three games). In 2014, they blew us out (that was the McAfee throw, Dewey McDonald drop game). 

I already wanted this win. Now, I really want this win.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

By what metric is HOU's run game more effective than DAL? DAL has a higher YPC and a higher EXP...and they have Ezekiel Elliot.

Thier passing game has been much better with Cooper on board. I doubt they are #25 since he showed up.

They have faced far better offenses than the Colts. According to EXP, they have faced 4 of the top 10 offenses...and have one more on their schedule...as well as IND.

If anything, DAL was underrated. Not really anymore. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

Houston gets more yards on the ground per game but most don't know that because Dallas has Zeke and he gets 89% of the yards (minus QB yards) where Miller gets 66% of the Texans yards. Texans uses more backs than just Miller where Dallas uses Zeke almost exclusively. The #2 back on the Texans has 467 yards, the #2 on Dallas has 85. 

This is the exact situation in Atlanta the past few years with Coleman and Freeman. They split carries so nobody knows how effective they each are just like the Texans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Have we played any real good rushing teams?

Peterson has had some big games this year, Fournette as well. I think we played the Jets a week after they ran for 300 yards, and we held them to barely a hundred and a low YPC, but let Darnold eat up the secondary. 

Dallas is probably the best rushing attack we've faced this season. Then we get Barkley right after, and he's on fire lately (134 yards/game and a 6.9 average, in his last four games, 4 rushing TDs). 

The Eagles/Texans/Patriots stretch early in the season wasn't fun. Maybe we can do better in this Texans/Cowboys/Giants stretch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Connors said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

Houston gets more yards on the ground per game but most don't know that because Dallas has Zeke and he gets 89% of the yards (minus QB yards) where Miller gets 66% of the Texans yards. Texans uses more backs than just Miller where Dallas uses Zeke almost exclusively. The #2 back on the Texans has 467 yards, the #2 on Dallas has 85. 

This is the exact situation in Atlanta the past few years with Coleman and Freeman. They split carries so nobody knows how effective they each are just like the Texans.

I don't really see that. Everybody knew ATL had a great running game...and how effective Freeman and Coleman were. ATL was the top offense in the NFL that year...by far...and those guys were a huge part of that. As for metrics, they had the #5 run game according to YDS and YPC...and #3 according to EXP.

HOU does have the 2nd most yards rushing...but that's largely because they have the second-most attempts and because they have a very effective running QB. If you look at YPC and EXP...they are middle of the pack.

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I don't really see that. Everybody knew ATL had a great running game...and how effective Freeman and Coleman were. ATL was the top offense in the NFL that year...by far...and those guys were a huge part of that. As for metrics, they had the #5 run game according to YDS and YPC...and #3 according to EXP.

HOU does have the 2nd most yards rushing...but that's largely because they have the second-most attempts and because they have a very effective running QB. If you look at YPC and EXP...they are middle of the pack.

If YPC are so important, who has a higher YPC - Zeke or Miller?

Also Watson has 410 yards rushing where Prescott has 303.

Its not the QBs, its not they yards per game, its not the yards per carry between the "feature back". Why is Dallas better on the groud?

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

we need to take a similar approach to how we attacked the texans. Try to shut down zeke and put the game in Dak's hands. 

Make sure Amari is covered! He was the reason they won yesterday... if Cooper is even semi open seems Dax can get him the ball..which is odd seeing as how he sails it high on almost everyone else