Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Difficult to Run the Ball against AFC South Teams?

pgt_rob

Just more of a general question about how difficult it is for the Colts to get the run game going. Is it just more difficult to run the football against the Jags, Titans, and Texans due to their heavy and talented D-Lines? Seems like the AFC South has improved drastically defense wise over the years and it seems to be the strongest side of the ball for all 3 teams. The Texans are starting to be more balanced now with Watson. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Just more of a general question about how difficult it is for the Colts to get the run game going. Is it just more difficult to run the football against the Jags, Titans, and Texans due to their heavy and talented D-Lines? Seems like the AFC South has improved drastically defense wise over the years and it seems to be the strongest side of the ball for all 3 teams. The Texans are starting to be more balanced now with Watson. What do you guys think?

I haven't looked at where they rank. Supposedly the Jags had a poor run defense...but I think they all have solid run defenses. The bigger issue I think is familiarity. When you play a team multiple times...they have seen most of your offense...they key on your formations and what you run out of them. Combine that with Kelly being out I think it is just harder in general to execute. I would hate to play a team 3 times in a season....you would really have to reach for plays they haven't seen.

I think it's a combination of things...but it's also likely partly that the BUF game was an outlier. And OAK actually is actually one of the worst run defenses.

Those are the two big games. They had some good runs against the NYJ playing catch up...but (fortunately) haven't had to do that as much in recent weeks and teams are able to play the run.

The offense needs more playmakers (probably including the RB position)...and that will open up the run game.

7 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The Jags match up better with us against the run than they do against Tennessee because they have smaller faster linebackers who can chase a guy like Mack sideline to sideline. Mack isn't a tackle breaker. They struggle with a guy like Henry because he out-muscles them.

That sounds like a problem for our run game then.  Dallas also has fast linebackers similar to the Colts.