Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aren't They Concerned

chrisfarley

Is our front office not concerned that making all these cuts like this will disuede players from wanting to come here via free agency? I know I'm concerned.

We've now gone from possible contender to "check back with us in a few years".

I would guess they feel that positions are open and players will come...

..we need receivers for Andrew Luck...certainly....

I cant believe Pierre Garcon wants to go

anyone 1st generation/last decade fans feel like at this point they are fans of a completely different team?? this is so weird!!!!

I have been a Colts fans for a lot longer length of time. One thing is constant - change. Players, coaches, executives...etc. come and go. I have seen the team transition from the Unitas era to the Bert Jones era to the Jeff George era to the Jim Harbaugh mini era to the Manning era and now to the Luck??? era. Just enjoy being a Colts fan.

I have been a Colts fans for a lot longer length of time. One thing is constant - change. Players, coaches, executives...etc. come and go. I have seen the team transition from the Unitas era to the Bert Jones era to the Jeff George era to the Jim Harbaugh mini era to the Manning era and now to the Luck??? era. Just enjoy being a Colts fan.

I personally would like to thank the entire Irsay family for letting me enjoy these great moments:

1. Seeing Johnny Unitas traded to San Diego (and who can forget the great Marty Domres years?)

2. Trading Bert Jones - who's injury in 1978 demonstrated just how much the Colts were a 1-man team back then, too

3. Watching the team sneak out of Baltimore in the dead of a snowy night

4. Putting Peyton Manning on waivers - let me repeat that....The Irsay-led Colts put the GOAT on waivers... The QB that made the Indianapolis Colts one of the most dominating teams of the last decade. A team that had ZERO 10-win season in 15 years without Peyton but 11 of 13 with him.

"Thanks, Peyton. Apparently we don't need you anymore...don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Good luck, Mr. Luck. Hope you don't notice how the Colts treated their 3 greatest QBs.

I personally would like to thank the entire Irsay family for letting me enjoy these great moments:

1. Seeing Johnny Unitas traded to San Diego (and who can forget the great Marty Domres years?)

2. Trading Bert Jones - who's injury in 1978 demonstrated just how much the Colts were a 1-man team back then, too

4. Putting Peyton Manning on waivers - let me repeat that....The Irsay-led Colts put the GOAT on waivers... The QB that made the Indianapolis Colts one of the most dominating teams of the last decade. A team that had ZERO 10-win season in 15 years without Peyton but 11 of 13 with him.

"Thanks, Peyton. Apparently we don't need you anymore...don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Good luck, Mr. Luck. Hope you don't notice how the Colts treated their 3 greatest QBs.

I hear you..

but I think Luck would be okay with being 3/4 of Jones, Manning or Johnny U

Players are used to be cut. It's the reality of the NFL.

Us cutting old guys with injury problems isn't going to stop players from coming here.

Now, not having any cap space will however prevent them from coming. Fortunately, we've taken steps to rectify that situation.

I think we should change Jim Irsay's name to Bob Irsay. Sure is looking like Bob to me. He >>>ed up Baltimore and now his son has lost his mind in Indy. Why would Andrew Luck want to play for this team. I am so ticked after the last few days that it will take a lot of cold beers tonight to calm down. I agree with three of the cuts I can say. Gary, Melvin, and Curtis are good moves. But the others and what is to come all I can say is WOW Bob!!!! :manning:

People get cut all the time :S Wasn't Clark and Addia getting cut expected anyway? They'll probably draft a bunch of offensive talent, because at the moment, we have way more talent on defense. Personally, I can't wait for the Colts in a couple of years with a bunch of young offensive talent and a beastly defense. Just gonna have to watch a few expected losses in the mean time.

Is our front office not concerned that making all these cuts like this will disuede players from wanting to come here via free agency? I know I'm concerned.

Show them the money and they will line up at your door...

How did SF treat Joe...how did GB treat Brett...how did NY treat Namith...its a business

The colts were a weak team physically especially on defense with bracket and players like bullitt. With some free agents they will be back on track... and with the possibility of getting coby fleener who is a better all around talent than Clark the colts will be fine.

Treating players like it's just a business is the quickest way to a downfall...

Actually, NOT treating things like a business is the quickest way to a downfall.

That's how Gary Brackett ends up getting paid 9 million a year to be average at best.

Actually, NOT treating things like a business is the quickest way to a downfall.

That's how Gary Brackett ends up getting paid 9 million a year to be average at best.

That contract sounds pretty high for an undersized linebacker who was missing his share of tackles. I would assume they looked at game film ad nauseum and saw that, while he does do a great job of play calling or audibling, he was vapor on many plays throughout the season. So I agree, 9 MIL. is waaaaaaay too much.

People get cut all the time :S Wasn't Clark and Addia getting cut expected anyway? They'll probably draft a bunch of offensive talent, because at the moment, we have way more talent on defense. Personally, I can't wait for the Colts in a couple of years with a bunch of young offensive talent and a beastly defense. Just gonna have to watch a few expected losses in the mean time.

that is really scary... because our defense completely stunk last year.... if true basically means we have little to no talent at all.

and after cutting our HOF QB just for fun we also cut our best overall RB, TE, our defensive team captain, and about to do the same with our best DE. At this point it is no longer a rebuild, for a rebuild you need a foundation. Who or what would be our foundation?

Who said they aren't concerned?

Whew. There's a LOT to reply to here!

As far as the original post is concerned, I am concerned about the team, but we all knew the day would come at some point when the big names would be cut. We just didn't know it would happen all in the same week. Sure, it's not the classiest end to an era, but it is the smart end to an era. Wouldn't be surprised to see Adam Vinatieri cut at this point for McAfee, either. When you are in salary cap trouble, you have to pour your concern on that and get it fixed first, regardless of the casualties.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Luck turned down the Colts? Hmm, not as much appeal now, is there? (Of course, I know he won't. Just speaking in jest.)

As for all these people who keep using Green Bay and San Francisco for examples, it's great to be an optomistic. However, what do you have to say about Dallas after Aikman? Miami after Marino? New York after Namath? Didn't turn out glorious for them.

The defense will be fine. We have plenty of young contributing players. Simms, Brayton, Anderson, Nevis, Mathis, Angerer, Powers, Bethea. We will draft four times in the first hundred picks this year, so we should get some real talent.

The offense will be fine. Tamme, Brown, Carter, Eldridge, Gonzalez, Collie, etc. A few draft picks added on to that talent should help. Are we as good as we were? No, absolutely not. But that is the staple of rebuilding. It takes time to rebuild what once was. As long as you have a foundation, you're good to go.

Am I concerned? Sure. In a strange way, though, I'm also relieved.

no...the patriots can be cold hearted and lots of players still wanna play there....

For a cold hearted team they sure showed Tom Brady the loyalty and respect that Peyton was denied. Brady was down for a year and his back up led the team well. Yet they kicked the backup loose and gave the keys back to Brady - who didn't even have to lift a finger to get them. A pity that the Colts could not have the same respect and loyalty.

Whew. There's a LOT to reply to here!

As far as the original post is concerned, I am concerned about the team, but we all knew the day would come at some point when the big names would be cut. We just didn't know it would happen all in the same week. Sure, it's not the classiest end to an era, but it is the smart end to an era. Wouldn't be surprised to see Adam Vinatieri cut at this point for McAfee, either. When you are in salary cap trouble, you have to pour your concern on that and get it fixed first, regardless of the casualties.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Luck turned down the Colts? Hmm, not as much appeal now, is there? (Of course, I know he won't. Just speaking in jest.)

As for all these people who keep using Green Bay and San Francisco for examples, it's great to be an optomistic. However, what do you have to say about Dallas after Aikman? Miami after Marino? New York after Namath? Didn't turn out glorious for them.

The defense will be fine. We have plenty of young contributing players. Simms, Brayton, Anderson, Nevis, Mathis, Angerer, Powers, Bethea. We will draft four times in the first hundred picks this year, so we should get some real talent.

The offense will be fine. Tamme, Brown, Carter, Eldridge, Gonzalez, Collie, etc. A few draft picks added on to that talent should help. Are we as good as we were? No, absolutely not. But that is the staple of rebuilding. It takes time to rebuild what once was. As long as you have a foundation, you're good to go.

Am I concerned? Sure. In a strange way, though, I'm also relieved.

+1

The only player that had any real value was Dallas Clark and even that was a stretch. Bullitt and Brackett are very average. Curtis is a legend in his own right. Addai is a 2nd or 3rd back on most teams. His value to us was simply in pass blocking. We didn't lose that much today IMO (the fans did, but the team really didn't)

The only player that had any real value was Dallas Clark and even that was a stretch. Bullitt and Brackett are very average. Curtis is a legend in his own right. Addai is a 2nd or 3rd back on most teams. His value to us was simply in pass blocking. We didn't lose that much today IMO (the fans did, but the team really didn't)

good points, i'm coming around slowly, perhaps these moves have some real stategy in building this complicated puzzle of a team.

For a cold hearted team they sure showed Tom Brady the loyalty and respect that Peyton was denied. Brady was down for a year and his back up led the team well. Yet they kicked the backup loose and gave the keys back to Brady - who didn't even have to lift a finger to get them. A pity that the Colts could not have the same respect and loyalty.

totally different situations that one should be able to easily recognize....

Oh my gosh! They are two completely different situations. The only things that you can get out of the two situations is that the Patriots surrounded Brady with much better talent than the Colts did Manning and they had a much better back up QB than the Colts.