Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Props to that Colts Defense

compuls1v3

22 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Before the season I seriously thought the Colts would be ranked dead last after this season was over. It's amazing what good coaching can do with a group of guys with great character and give it 110% every single snap can do.

It just as amazing what having talent on a team will do to.

6 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

Agreed. Took a little while for the D to settle in. I think it was purely because we needed this one pretty bad, and they were amped. The flag on Hooker that gifted the Texans that TD, was a joke. All in all, no real complaints. Just happy with the W. 

Some on this site continue to say we aren't any good on defense ,shut down Hopkins I guess we were lucky .

The result last week overshadowed what was a really solid performance by the Colts D vs Jacksonville.  Admittedly the Jags offence are no world-beaters, but they looked very sharp and they continued that this week against a very solid group.

They did what good defences do, and took away what the opposition does well (run game, Hopkins deep threat).

Props to Eberflus and company.

• Like 1

This defense is rounding up to shape. I still don't think we have the high end playmakers we need for this defense to be great, but if the offense is functioning at top level we can win games with even average-ish defense. 

Props to Eberflus and props to the secondary coaches. The secondary performs much better when we create pressure with the pass rush. Not that it's surprising or shocking but worth pointing out just how pronounced that link is. Imagine if we somehow get an elite pass-rusher from the draft... 

My god could you guys imagine if we hit it out of the park in the draft and get maybe one or two good playmakers in free agency! Let’s say we use our first pick on a wide receiver and maybe pick up a really good running back in free agency (not gonna say who lol) and then throw everything we have left as far as draft picks into our defense,  I think we can legit have a top 5 defense and top 5 offense next year!  This team will be naaaasty!!!!

One of the best things I think the Colts D did was, even when they only brought 4 they pushed in such a way as Watson did not have a chance to escape and scramble right or left and extend the play, they forced him to stay in the pocket and make the throws with hands in his face.  

Then the tackling was solid when the catches were made.

Last was the run defense, the run D has been pretty stout for quite a few weeks now and outside of about 5 or 6 plays they completely shut it down.  At one point they showed a stat and L. Miller was 8 carries for -4 yards.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

We held Hopkins to 36 yards (1TD) and both RBs for 54 yds. on the ground.  All in all pretty impressive against a team who likes to pound the rock!

Besides 5 sacks, the Colt Defense had 9 tackles for loss. Many times the Texans were in 2nd and 13 or 2nd and 14. 

Going into yesterday's game, Lamar Miller was averaging 5yds per carry (just like Marlin Mack).

In yesterday's game Miller was:  14 carries ... 33 yards ... 1 TD ... 2.4 ave.

In yesterday's game  Mack was:  14 carries ... 33 yards ... 1 TD ... 2.4 ave.

It looks like Miller and Mack both have poor vision!

Or, maybe neither one of them can run through a brick wall?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What are you even talking about? 

So you think the talent level of this team is no better than it's been for the last 5 years?

im smart enough to see you’re veiled allegiances. I can see the coaching has improved immensely lol

I seem to recall after the draft, that most posters thought that our Defense was going to be a train wreck with not enough done in the Draft or FA to address our team. Well even though we can still use a lot of help, the foundation seems to be there with our new coaching schemes and pieced together player personnel that management went with. 

4 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I seem to recall after the draft, that most posters thought that our Defense was going to be a train wreck with not enough done in the Draft or FA to address our team. Well even though we can still use a lot of help, the foundation seems to be there with our new coaching schemes and pieced together player personnel that management went with. 

The LB duo of Leonard & Walker Jr. is top notch, & that alone makes our defense SO much better, plus, 5 sacks yesterday, & an interception in the endzone that was negated by a ticky-tack penalty. This unit definitely seems to be hitting it's stride at the right time.