Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is The New Regime Trigger Happy Or Do They Flat Out Want To Just Totally Revamp?

chad72

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just extrapolating. With the way the coaches were gotten rid of, and with the way the aging players were gotten rid of, I am just skeptical if the same will happen if a player drafted/signed/re-signed does not produce in a year or two. That is what I was getting at :), if the GM is indeed trigger happy or has due diligence been done to see if there was value in an alternate path that could have been taken?

Of course, we do not have any history to base it on, just the pace of the cuts, a fervent pace :) that I am conjecturing based on for the future.

But it's one thing to hyperventilate (not that you are) over cutting players, and it's another thing to criticize decisions because you think they're wrong. This is a football team, so based on what happens on the football field, how do you criticize any of these decisions?

I was just extrapolating. With the way the coaches were gotten rid of, and with the way the aging players were gotten rid of, I am just skeptical if the same will happen if a player drafted/signed/re-signed does not produce in a year or two. That is what I was getting at :), if the GM is indeed trigger happy or has due diligence been done to see if there was value in an alternate path that could have been taken?

Of course, we do not have any history to base it on, just the pace of the cuts, a fervent pace :) that I am conjecturing based on for the future.

with the way they were gotten rid of? how else are you supposed to do it? i don't think he has been trigger happy at all. what are you supposed to do when you inherit a team that went 2_14 and the franchise leaving town? and i don't think the cuts happened at a fervent pace....they"re just happening all at once and it is that time of year.

with the way they were gotten rid of? how else are you supposed to do it? i don't think he has been trigger happy at all. what are you supposed to do when you inherit a team that went 2_14 and the franchise leaving town? and i don't think the cuts happened at a fervent pace....they"re just happening all at once and it is that time of year.

Right. Just rip the bandaid off and get it over with. Were the cuts supposed to be done one a week or something?

My initial reaction is option B.

Trav posted how many games those 4 guys missed over the past two years and it's kinda staggering really.

Exactly. When you take that in consideration, they Colts aren't missing much on the field. They've been on the sidelines. They'll be missed in the locker room, especially Brackett.

You don't rebuild with 30 plus guys who have big contracts and who have not lived up to those contracts. Sad to say but even though I thought there was a chance we could keep some of these guys last night now that it happened and I am once again listening to my head over my heart it makes sense as painful as it is. Once Polian went you could start to see the rest of these moves coming because new GMs want their own guys not one someone elses. Once Manning went it was only a matter of time. At least the Colts did it quick rather than letting us start to get over Manning being gone and then saying hey all those other players you liked yeah they are gone too. I'd rather have all the bad news at once.

You could not have said it better. It was going to happen sooner our later. The players the front office just released I didnt want to see any of them go, but it was time to do something. All teams have to rebuild, look at the teams that took forever to rebuild San Fran rode out the none rebuilding horse for as long as they could and they were in the bottom half of the NFL for a longtime, The Ravens are going into the same hole because they are not rebuilding. It pained me to see Peyton leave because all of the things he has done for the city and the team, a true class act. But four surguries in a year. Not good. It is time for the Colts to rebuild do it now. Any fan that gets off of the wagon now was never a fan. Go Colts.

You could not have said it better. It was going to happen sooner our later. The players the front office just released I didnt want to see any of them go, but it was time to do something. All teams have to rebuild, look at the teams that take forever to rebuild San Fran rode out the none rebuilding horse for as long as they could and they were in the bottom have of the NFL for a longtime, The Ravens are going into the same hole because they are not rebuilding. I pained me to see Peyton leave because all of the things he has done for the city and the team, class act. But four surguries in a year. Not good. It is time for the Colts to rebuild do it now. Any fan that gets off of the wagon now was never a fan. Go Colts.

Ugh I know this is going to be painful and part of me really just wants to wake up when Peyton Manning does come home to retire a Colt. I am looking forward to that day.

With that said I still stand by my team and I wont lie part of me is really excited to see Andrew Luck. I've watched him since he was a freshman because of Harbaugh. I am buying Luck hook line and sinker. I really do think he's the next great one.

My concern is we may lose our identity. We were know for building thru the draft and keeping our own players and we did better that just about anybody with undrafted FA (they knew if they came here they had a chance to play). I can still hear Donald Sutherland with his team of "unwanteds". This GM/Coach seems more likley to want to build thru FA, just like Philly has been trying to do for 10 years.

Ugh I know this is going to be painful and part of me really just wants to wake up when Peyton Manning does come home to retire a Colt. I am looking forward to that day.

With that said I still stand by my team and I wont lie part of me is really excited to see Andrew Luck. I've watched him since he was a freshman because of Harbaugh. I am buying Luck hook line and sinker. I really do think he's the next great one.

Im with you. I wasnt sold on luck until I started to watch him play. I like the way he runs the offense, I believe he will do well. I believe the team will be okay. Remember 14 years ago we didn't want a QB out of Tennesee named Peyton Manning. We as Colts fans have gotten spoiled. We had one of the best QB to ever put on a jersey 14 yrs that is a longtime name a team that can say that????? NONE. It was time. Peyton will be a Colt forever just like people refer to Joe Montana as Forty Niner not a Chief. Go Colts.

Im with you. I wasnt sold on luck until I started to watch him play. I like the way he runs the offense, I believe he will do well. I believe the team will be okay. Remember 14 years ago we didn't want a QB out of Tennesee named Peyton Manning. We as Colts fans have gotten spoiled. We had one of the best QB to ever put on a jersey 14 yrs that is a longtime name a team that can say that????? NONE. It was time. Peyton will be a Colt forever just like people refer to Joe Montana as Forty Niner not a Chief. Go Colts.

This is maybe the only thing that bothers me and this is really silly I'll admit that is that when Peyton Manning goes into Canton it's going to say Colts and (place new team's name here). I just don't like that. I know people will still think of Manning as a Colt but that bothers me for some reason.

I agree 100% we are spoiled I mean even by winning standards what we did was unheard of and even if Luck is as good as people say he could be odds are he's just not going to win at the level Manning did. Even Johnny U's teams didn't do that. I've always thought the Manning years are going to go down as the Golden years of Colts football. I am looking forward to the days that we have Luck vs Manning threads rather than Brady vs Manning and I think they are coming and we are going to have really good stuff to argue both sides. People saying things like "Yeah but Luck won two more Super Bowls than Peyton did here and someone else going yeah but Manning's teams won more games."

I love Peyton Manning I really do and I don't want that to be lost anything I've said this week. I am going to miss him and I am not sure I can watch him play for another team and as much as I am going to enjoy watching Luck part of me just wants to fastforward to the part where Peyton gets to come home and we get to do this whole him leaving thing right when he signs his one day contract to retire a Colt.

This is maybe the only thing that bothers me and this is really silly I'll admit that is that when Peyton Manning goes into Canton it's going to say Colts and (place new team's name here). I just don't like that. I know people will still think of Manning as a Colt but that bothers me for some reason.

I agree 100% we are spoiled I mean even by winning standards what we did was unheard of and even if Luck is as good as people say he could be odds are he's just not going to win at the level Manning did. Even Johnny U's teams didn't do that. I've always thought the Manning years are going to go down as the Golden years of Colts football. I am looking forward to the days that we have Luck vs Manning threads rather than Brady vs Manning and I think they are coming and we are going to have really good stuff to argue both sides. People saying things like "Yeah but Luck won two more Super Bowls than Peyton did here and someone else going yeah but Manning's teams won more games."

I love Peyton Manning I really do and I don't want that to be lost anything I've said this week. I am going to miss him and I am not sure I can watch him play for another team and as much as I am going to enjoy watching Luck part of me just wants to fastforward to the part where Peyton gets to come home and we get to do this whole him leaving thing right when he signs his one day contract to retire a Colt.

Now that one day contract would be nice. I hear you it just seem funny thanking about seeing him in another jersey. I will cheer him on no matter what team he is on. I tell you when those Luck Manning threads start they are going to be good ones. I tell you what the team can only improve. Go Colts.

Cutting Clark was still a mistake. People just have too much faith in Tamme and I feel it is misplaced. The stats are misleading. I hope I am wrong but Tamme is not the same caliber as Clark. When you use him for a lot of snaps as a starter for a whole season as a #1 TE, people will start realizing that. He is like a poor man's Aaron Hernandez that needs a Gronk to flourish, IMO. Think about this, does NE have an issue having 2 receiving TEs on the field consistently? Have we ever expanded our playcalling to use Tamme and Clark at the same time? That is why I feel the Clark cut could have waited. We made the horrendous mistake of asking Clark to block Mario Williams and in some instances, James Harrison too last year. With only 1 blocking TE on the roster in Eldridge who is in and out of the lineup, do we think he is going to be our blocking/receiving TE combo like Gronkowski or even a Ken Dilger?

Addai, yes, it was a money thing but then, when healthy, he does not fumble, blitz blocks at an elite level, and like any RB, give him a lane and he will get you the necessary yards, and he catches well too. Yep, he is injured more often - so why not restructure? Same thing with Clark - why not restructure?

I have seen Bullitt taking bad angles consistently, I have seen Brackett getting washed out even in his prime vs TEs and OLs, and I agree with both of those and I think we have enough people not paid as much to miss tackles and take bad angles, so I am perfectly fine with those cuts. Painter, that was too obvious a cut not to happen. It would have surprised me if it did not happen :).

Nope, I dont think this season is down the toilet or anything. I am just here to state enough reasons that both Addai and Clark still had some value we could have tapped into for a rookie QB if we re-structured, fair enough?

Now that one day contract would be nice. I hear you it just seem funny thanking about seeing him in another jersey. I will cheer him on no matter what team he is on. I tell you when those Luck Manning threads start they are going to be good ones. I tell you what the team can only improve. Go Colts.

This might sound silly but I think the Colts should maybe think about letting Manning sign that one day contract and letting him retire at half-time of a Colts game. Let the fans say good bye to him right and let our last image of him as a Colt being something other than him blowing a gasket at Caldwell's timeout. Even bring back Marvin or Reggie and let Peyton throw one last pass to them not unlike what the Giants did with Phil Simms when they retired his number and he threw one last pass to LT of all people.

We haven't even been able to build a decent, full defense in the last 10 years....some great players, yes.. BUT not complete.....near the bottom in the league in most years....NOW.....how can anyone on these blogs even start to believe that Irsay and company can all of a sudden build a championship ball team on both sides of the ball at the same time now??? The team we had was mostly Manning and a high powered offense and a hand-ful of defensive stars!!! Why sit here saying this can all be a good thing......well yeah maybe....someday...but so would just starting a new team anywhere with a number 1 pick....Maybe one day.......we had it and let it go. Instead of making a few player adjustments year by year and staying in the playoff hunt.....we threw it ALL away for SOMEDAY. Yes, I'm angry.....have been a Colts fan all my life and cannot understand all this nonsense......who ever talked you into this Mr. Irsay did you and all Colts/Manning fans a huge injustice!!! Good luck Peyton....you are the man. Thanks for building a city into something wonderful, and a bad team into a champion!!!

Addai, yes, it was a money thing but then, when healthy, he does not fumble, blitz blocks at an elite level, and like any RB, give him a lane and he will get you the necessary yards, and he catches well too. Yep, he is injured more often - so why not restructure?

Because he's replaceable. Very replaceable. I really like Addai. I agree with most of what you post. But a) he's not special; and b) he's hurt too often. That's why not restructure. Get a new back, for less than half the cost.

To be fair, I know people who said the Colts were long in the tooth years ago. We probably should have made more moves gradually, but Polian decided instead to let it play out....and it would have if Manning hadn't been injured. We'd have a team full of geriatrics.

My concern is we may lose our identity. We were know for building thru the draft and keeping our own players and we did better that just about anybody with undrafted FA (they knew if they came here they had a chance to play). I can still hear Donald Sutherland with his team of "unwanteds". This GM/Coach seems more likley to want to build thru FA, just like Philly has been trying to do for 10 years.

That seems kinda like the point to me too.

And if you are changing it all you have to change the identity.

I think their vision is to build a real team. Not just an offensive video game to watch weekly before you get to the playoffs and get punked by the more physical team who plays a bit of defense and runs the football.

In a way this might help Luck not to have too many veterans on the team. He can become a real leader sooner then later.

Of course on the defensive side you still have Mathis and Bethea to lead the charge and Angerer.

I am liking very much what the FO is doing.

This is the way to rebuild.

After the cuts, I expect them to do what is necessary in FA and draft to build a new team.

I see this as a 2-3 year process to build a championship worthy team.

What Good FA is going to want to come to a franchise that show no loyalty. Irsay has put this franchise in rebuild purgatory. We will have to build through the draft and hope that those we draft will want to stay with this franchise. I hoped we would reload not rebuild, but Irsay blew up the team and now the fans have to suffer. I got to see mess that was called the Colts in the 80s and early 90s and did not want to see that again. I agree there as some that needed to go due not staying healthy, not producing or age, but you do not gut the team.

What Good FA is going to want to come to a franchise that show no loyalty. Irsay has put this franchise in rebuild purgatory. We will have to build through the draft and hope that those we draft will want to stay with this franchise. I hoped we would reload not rebuild, but Irsay blew up the team and now the fans have to suffer. I got to see mess that was called the Colts in the 80s and early 90s and did not want to see that again. I agree there as some that needed to go due not staying healthy, not producing or age, but you do not gut the team.

Do you have some specific criticism of what's been done so far? Aside from rehashing the Manning debate (which I'll forever be torn on, though I get why we released him), what has the front office done wrong?

All good FAs want $$$, and a chance to improve their stature within the league.

For the FAs who want to join a team that will overpay them when they are injured most of the time and not producing on the field, they are welcome to join another team. It seems the new Colts will not do this anymore.

Draftees and FAs will know they have a real chance to be a starter with this team.

The 5 players who were released today were getting old, did not produce much on the field recently, and were often injured. IMO, if I were the GM, they would have been gone a long time ago.

Do you have some specific criticism of what's been done so far? Aside from rehashing the Manning debate (which I'll forever be torn on, though I get why we released him), what has the front office done wrong?

Yes, you do not blow up a franchise without reprecussions. Read the 2 threads on Freeney to see what I mean. Nobody is going treat this franchise with any respect, because the Irsay has showed he respects nothing. Sorry, but this franchise just went to rebuild purgatory. I do not like it and do not have to like it, but it is now a fact of a Colts' fan life. I agree that some of this needed to be done years ago, but that is not a reason to blow up your franchise now. It will take years to come out of this, not my idea historical fact.

Look folks, the contracts that these four players had were back loaded to reflect greatness towards the end of the contract. Anyone see that now? I love these players.....I have had a Clark avatar on another site for four years. But if Polian borrowed Peter to pay Paul....so to speak, and include PM's injury and the horrific season we just had....then why should the new regime shoulder that contractual mess?

The team isn't cutting the players because they dont think think they can contribute or because they don't like them.....it is because their contracts were (to quote Charles Barkley), turrible. No player who has been driving a Corvette for 11 years is going to be realistic about hopping into a Taurus. That is how different their contracts would have to be for them to remain. Even if they did accept, what would their attitude be like? Wouldn't this new group want the players who have to drive a Taurus, to be happy and excited about the opportunity?

Dang....I feel like a car commercial or something. Lol.

All good FAs want $$$, and a chance to improve their stature within the league.

For the FAs who want to join a team that will overpay them when they are injured most of the time and not producing on the field, they are welcome to join another team. It seems the new Colts will not do this anymore.

Draftees and FAs will know they have a real chance to be a starter with this team.

The 5 players who were released today were getting old, did not produce much on the field recently, and were often injured. IMO, if I were the GM, they would have been gone a long time ago.

I agree, but now it is going to be worse as far as the FAs. We will have to over pay for good FAs or not get any. Loyalty is strong in the NFL and that has been destroyed on this franchise. In 1 week, Irsay has destroyed 14 years good that he had built after taking over from his father. Happens when ego takes over instead of through thought.

I agree, but now it is going to be worse as far as the FAs. We will have to over pay for good FAs or not get any. Loyalty is strong in the NFL and that has been destroyed on this franchise. In 1 week, Irsay has destroyed 14 years good that he had built after taking over from his father. Happens when ego takes over instead of through thought.

We will pay the market rate for FAs. From my understanding, FAs would rather work and get paid than not work and not get paid. They too understand the pecking order, and where they fit within that. There is not much value to loyalty between a player and a team when the player is not producing to expectation. Grigson has made the correct decisions IMO, to remove the dead weight that the team has carried for too long.

It is ego that makes people think that players deserve a free ride on the team without producing on the field to support their value.

I am like most.. I really don't have any problem with these cuts as most have'nt contributed much last couple years. Personally wish they would have made these cuts when they still had Manning. I'm more concerned about what the colts are going to do about WR's if both Wayne and Garcon don't come back. I'm not 100% sure how Collie is considered the /Collins/Painter/Orlavsky QB combo could seem to get him the ball to even see if he could take a hit last year.

I imagine there are going to be ALOT of jerseys needing to be replaced.. more revenue for Colts??

Some of the most popular Colts Jerseys everyone might need to replace :dancing:

Manning

Wayne

Freeney

Clark

Addai

Garcon

We will pay the market rate for FAs. From my understanding, FAs would rather work and get paid than not work and not get paid. They too understand the pecking order, and where they fit within that. There is not much value to loyalty between a player and a team when the player is not producing to expectation. Grigson has made the correct decisions IMO, to remove the dead weight that the team has carried for too long.

It is ego that makes people think that players deserve a free ride on the team without producing on the field to support their value.ise

If you think I making light of this, go ask any Lions fan, any Rams fan, any fan of any franchise that has blown up the team. You think we had a cap problem this year , just wait it will get worse, ask the GM of the Chargers. He has trouble keeping his own FAs without trying to get FAs to come there.

I am worried the new regime may be too trigger happy and not allow players to develop if they have a tendency to use the broom instead of a brush.

At what point should Colts fans be worried that player loyalty and the relationship business aspect of business that the Colts have adhered to may be compromised with a new regime?

Yes, every cut can be justified in its own way but it is impossible for me to sit here and say that every need of ours will be fulfilled via free agency and the draft for the players we let go.

Thoughts???

It makes ZERO sense to keep a bunch of overpaid old aging players... if we are rebuilding why should we keep paying top dollar for mediocrity. These name brand players are only a former shell of what they once were. Its a no-brainer to dump them at this point. This new regime is smart, give credit where credit is due.

Yeah I wonder if they told Mathis they were going to cut everyone else on the team and even trade Freeney before they signed him to a contract.. He can't be happy

Who cares what he thinks. He's an overpaid athlete. If he complains we should cut him too. These men make millions that we could never dream of... sad that they would "complain" about anything.

I see alot of 3 to 6 win seasons unless team gets lucky and every draft pick works out and is not a bust. I dont see any FA wanting to come here until the team has its identity. It sure dont have one at this point. Except we r rebuilding can u please come here and help us...Most FA want to go to winners to have a shot at a ring. That may be years from now with this organization. Hope Im wrong but not feeling that way right now.

Who cares what he thinks. He's an overpaid athlete. If he complains we should cut him too. These men make millions that we could never dream of... sad that they would "complain" about anything.

If u dont like how much they make, quit going to games, watching games or buying the merchandise. I agree about athletes being overpaid, but at this point thats the only thing that will change it. Is if fans were to force change.

I am worried the new regime may be too trigger happy and not allow players to develop if they have a tendency to use the broom instead of a brush.

At what point should Colts fans be worried that player loyalty and the relationship business aspect of business that the Colts have adhered to may be compromised with a new regime?

Yes, every cut can be justified in its own way but it is impossible for me to sit here and say that every need of ours will be fulfilled via free agency and the draft for the players we let go.

Thoughts???

If they build a team, we will come. He's obviously starting from scratch seeing as how the team wasn't much last year and they cut the reason they won for the last decade so we need to get used to major change and buy a scorecard to know who is who.

Yes, you do not blow up a franchise without reprecussions. Read the 2 threads on Freeney to see what I mean. Nobody is going treat this franchise with any respect, because the Irsay has showed he respects nothing. Sorry, but this franchise just went to rebuild purgatory. I do not like it and do not have to like it, but it is now a fact of a Colts' fan life. I agree that some of this needed to be done years ago, but that is not a reason to blow up your franchise now. It will take years to come out of this, not my idea historical fact.

So no, you don't have any specific criticisms?

You're mad because Irsay is "blowing up the franchise"? The thing is he's not. First of all, Grigson is the GM. He's making these moves, with the exception of the Manning decision. Now that that's done, what's the argument for keeping Clark, Addai, Brackett and Bullitt? What have you seen in their performance that suggests that they should continue to be a part of a team that needs to get better at several positions? How does getting rid of four veterans that haven't produced at a high level in two years -- albeit two or three of them were really good at one point -- constitute a lack of respect for ... whatever it is that you think Irsay needs to show more respect for?

Really. What are you talking about? You're raving.

And another thing, "rebuild purgatory" is what teams get stuck in when they refuse to make these kinds of decisions, or make them too late. You're saying that some of these moves should have been made in the past, and now you're upset that they're being made now? What do you want? Either they are the right moves or they're not.

Grigson is ripping the bandaid off, and it stings at first. I really like Clark, Addai and Brackett. I'm very neutral on Bullitt, but all of those players had significant roles on the 2009, and the first three helped us win a Super Bowl. Brackett earned his stripes every step of the way, working his way into the starting lineup and earning a big contract. Clark lived up to his first round billing. Addai replaced a cornerstone of the first half of the Manning era, and did everything he was asked to do. Bullitt stepped up in 2009 and helped us win 14 games to open the season. It hurts to see them cut. But that doesn't mean it was wrong to cut them. And that sting goes away pretty quickly once you realize that these were the right moves to make. These cuts free up a ton of cap space next season, and a ton of real money starting this season.

If you want to hold on to the Golden Era, you should watch old games and enjoy what these players accomplished when they were here, because it was special. But it's over. It had to be over at some point. Can't just ride the past decade into the sunset, not if you want to be competitive in the near future. These guys were the foundation of a team that couldn't win more than 2 games without Manning, and now he's gone. It was time.

I see alot of 3 to 6 win seasons unless team gets lucky and every draft pick works out and is not a bust. I dont see any FA wanting to come here until the team has its identity. It sure dont have one at this point. Except we r rebuilding can u please come here and help us...Most FA want to go to winners to have a shot at a ring. That may be years from now with this organization. Hope Im wrong but not feeling that way right now.

Most free agents go where the money is. This idealist fantasy that players go where the wins are is just that: a fantasy. That's why last season, Charles Johnson stayed in Carolina, a two-win team, rather than going to the Falcons. They follow the money. It's that rare seasoned veteran who goes on a ring chase, like LaDanian Tomlinson and players like that. If you want high impact free agents who are near or in their prime, you need cap space and bonus money. And that's what the team is putting together right now.