Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Notes From The Fifth Day, Afternoon Padded Practice

coltsuser21

These are notes form the 5th day of practice (padded) and all notes are from stampede blue:

Joseph Addai got a big cheer when he burst through the line on a 20 yard run during one of the drills. Nice to see #29 still in a Colts uniform. Delone Carter was quite impressive in the goal line drills, scoring on the first play bouncing outside, then on the last play he blasted into the line, kept pumping, and scored, even when Larry Coyer was pleading with the referee he was down. Really nice to see. Oh, and Devin Moore is very, very fast. He's going to make the roster.

•The receivers were just as you would expect. Anthony Gonzalez made a nice play on a deep ball from Painter to make a catch on an underthrown ball, and got the Defensive Pass Interference on Jacob Lacey too. None of the young guys really stood out to me.

•The Offensive Line was pretty fluid throughout the entire practice, in that they were flipping units and positions often. It looked like Ben Ijalana was playing mostly at RT, and Anthony Castonzo playing LT. I wouldn't make any guesses as to where guys are going to play for at least 3 weeks or so.

•On the Defensive Line, the clear standout was Rookie Drake Nevis. Several times it looked like he lined up next to the RB, and was ready to destroy someone. Foster also looked pretty good on the goal line. It looked like Freeney and Mathis had a pretty light workout, as they let the other guys get the work.

•The only Linebacker news I have is from Phil B. (see link above), and it's that Kavell Conner injured his finger late in practice. Him, Gary Brackett, and Pat Angerer were the nominal "first team" LBs, with Sims, Wheeler, and Nate Triplett. Saw a nice play again from Rookie Adrian Moten, who had an interception of Painter back on Wednesday night.

•I didn't get to see much of the Defensive backs work, but one play that stood out was near the goal line, Clark ran a little flare route at about the one yard line, and both Jerraud Powers and Angerer read the play perfectly, and had they been going full speed, Powers would have jumped the pass and taken it to the house. Think the 4th and 2 play against New England, but even better defense on it.

Every thing looks and sounds good to me except lacey......lol

Thanks, saves me from doing it, one thing though seems quite WEIRD unless u have the exact play & Interferance call 2 days apart as will demonstrate below

and all notes are basically reminiscent of ones before on other practices so players are being consistent & love that receivers routes are excellent running them and Nevis always gets into the backfield & powers shining

The exact play i was noting was when u wrote , that is stampede blue wrote

•The receivers were just as you would expect. Anthony Gonzalez made a nice play on a deep ball from Painter to make a catch on an underthrown ball, and got the Defensive Pass Interference on Jacob Lacey too.

Now from WED NIGHT , 18 to 88 wrote

Lacey had him locked down pretty well. Gonzo made the catch, and Lacey drew a penalty flag from the official that was there for training purposes, but in a real situation, Gonzo would have been looked off. He worked out a lot with the second unit. ( & somewhere else I know I read the ball was under thrown too )

My link

Of course its entirely possible as those 2 seemed to be playing one another daily

I wasnt doubting the notes just making an observation

These are notes form the 5th day of practice (padded) and all notes are from stampede blue:

Joseph Addai got a big cheer when he burst through the line on a 20 yard run during one of the drills. Nice to see #29 still in a Colts uniform. Delone Carter was quite impressive in the goal line drills, scoring on the first play bouncing outside, then on the last play he blasted into the line, kept pumping, and scored, even when Larry Coyer was pleading with the referee he was down. Really nice to see. Oh, and Devin Moore is very, very fast. He's going to make the roster.

•The receivers were just as you would expect. Anthony Gonzalez made a nice play on a deep ball from Painter to make a catch on an underthrown ball, and got the Defensive Pass Interference on Jacob Lacey too. None of the young guys really stood out to me.

•The Offensive Line was pretty fluid throughout the entire practice, in that they were flipping units and positions often. It looked like Ben Ijalana was playing mostly at RT, and Anthony Castonzo playing LT. I wouldn't make any guesses as to where guys are going to play for at least 3 weeks or so.

•On the Defensive Line, the clear standout was Rookie Drake Nevis. Several times it looked like he lined up next to the RB, and was ready to destroy someone. Foster also looked pretty good on the goal line. It looked like Freeney and Mathis had a pretty light workout, as they let the other guys get the work.

•The only Linebacker news I have is from Phil B. (see link above), and it's that Kavell Conner injured his finger late in practice. Him, Gary Brackett, and Pat Angerer were the nominal "first team" LBs, with Sims, Wheeler, and Nate Triplett. Saw a nice play again from Rookie Adrian Moten, who had an interception of Painter back on Wednesday night.

•I didn't get to see much of the Defensive backs work, but one play that stood out was near the goal line, Clark ran a little flare route at about the one yard line, and both Jerraud Powers and Angerer read the play perfectly, and had they been going full speed, Powers would have jumped the pass and taken it to the house. Think the 4th and 2 play against New England, but even better defense on it.

Every thing looks and sounds good to me except lacey......lol

Heres what Colts.com added

The Colts have 15 bodies for defensive line coach John Teerlinck to use, which is almost double the number that he is used to having. The additions of Harris and Anderson are the big headliners this off-season but the emergence of Hughes on the outside is another nightmare for opposing quarterbacks to worry about.

VETERAN FREE AGENTS HIT THE PRACTICE FIELD

For second time in the 2011 training camp the Colts put the pads on out at practice. Friday afternoon, the coaches had a full roster (minus injured players) with which to work.

After a walk-through in shorts during the 9:30 a.m. practice the Colts held a similar practice in the afternoon to what they had Wednesday evening.

Some of the special teams notes from the practice include kicker Adam Vinateri making six of his seven field goals at the beginning of practice.

During punt coverage and returns, wide receivers David Gilreath, Anthony Gonzalez, Joe Horn, Pierre Garcon and cornerback Jerraud Powers were the return men.

Also, punter Pat McAfee hit a 65-yard punt in the early portion of practice.

The kick returners during Friday’s afternoon practice were Gilreath, Devin Moore, Larrone Moore and Chad Spann.

During 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 work some of the standouts on offense included tight end Dallas Clark who was a popular target of quarterback Curtis Painter. Defensively, rookie defensive tackle Drake Nevis made some nice plays on the interior with linebacker Ernie Sims making a stop on Clark in the open field to force a fourth down.

The first week of practice will conclude Saturday morning with a mock game, which is scheduled for 10:30.

My link