Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR gurus, what's your take on Chester Rogers?

zibby43

There was a lot of hype about Chester back in the spring and summer.

For those that watch the all-22 and can see the route running, what's going on with Chester?

I think he's been adequate as a returner, but will it be time to move on from Chester when his contract is up after this season?

2 hours ago, zibby43 said:

For those that watch the all-22 and can see the route running, what's going on with Chester?

I think he's been adequate as a returner, but will it be time to move on from Chester when his contract is up after this season?

From who? .... Colt fans on this forum?

Certainly not from National media.

He was a UDFA

5 hours ago, zibby43 said:

He is underperforming compared to his 2016 year. Not just the drops - bad games happen - but overall. He misses blocks, he makes bad decisions - cuts his route one yars shorter than he should, dances at 1 yard from getting to 1st and 10 and stalls at 3&1, etc.

He'll be an RFA. I'll be very surprised if the Colts will tender him. They won't. So he'll be gone by next march. They might bring him back to the 90 man roster on a non guaranteed minimum, but he'll have an uphill battle to make this team next year.

I was excited about Chester in 2016 then he didn’t get to show much in 2017 and 2018 has been nothing for him really that makes you say, this one is getting it and has that potential for an impact guy. He isn’t a burner, his hands have holes in them and he doesn’t do anything that makes you feel he couldn’t be replaced by a PS guy somewhere. 

Someone mentioned he he is being thrusted into a #2 role and hasn’t responded there. I assume every wr a team has is expected to be that #1 fighting receiver or why else have a guy that feels #2 or #3 is good enough for me? You know Cain will be pushing for #1 status based on what we seen in preseason. 

I guess what what I hoped to see from Chester was that constant catch magnet hands type. Not a take off the top guy but a Doyle type receiver. Throw the ball to him when you need 7 yards and it’s a catch plus at the 8 yard mark not the 6 yard mark. 

The only  LT thing going for Chester these days is he is on a cheap contract, he knows the playbook (presumably) and he has some sort of chemistry with Luck already vs a guy off the street. I say move on in the offseason 

I wish him all the best hopefully with a new team next year. However, I would be more for keeping him over Grant. Grant has been a major major disappointment, even with already low expectations. The position as whole needs a major upgrade.

Rogers can stay on a return man

In order to really answer this question, we'd have to watch a lot of tape and see him in practice if your presumption is he's really talented but not translating.  I never assumed he was really talented.  He's a 4/5  type WR on the field trying to be a 2/3 and he just doesn't have that kind game in terms of results and what we see on the field.  So, it would take someone with some serious inside knowledge or game film study to answer more in-depth if, again, if the assumption is he's somehow underperforming.  My take is he's performing to his skill set.  What we're seeing and a lot of people have mentioned it, is we have a #1 in TY and a #3 in Grant/Inman but no real two.  In fact, the most disappointing player may be Grant as we expected him to play like a two and he's really been mostly irrelevant and plays like a 4/5 himself.  I'm not trying to bang on these guys it's just where the performance seems to be, I mean we pulled Inman off the street and I'd call him a number two right now if I had to pick a guy.

• Like 1

Since he is a RFA and we have very little depth, he will most likely be tendered. He is our only punt returner and shows flashes here and there. He has failed to show out with the opportunities given to him. Should realistically be our WR4.

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He had his opportunity.  Best of luck to him on a new team if he gets picked up. 

No he hasn't. 
 He is getting some opportunity now in his 1st year in a REAL Offense.
 Chester has 37 catches on his way to 45-50.  Reggie had 49 in year 2 in 16 games.
 And catching 68% of his targets.  T Y is a career 57%.

I would agree he is just starting to look comfortable out there.
  T Y gives us our one one dimensional runt on the WR core. And we have Hines as a multi guy. I am expecting CB to build the rest of the receiving core with players that can catch and be good blockers.
 That said, Rogers has a real shot of continuing to improve and to stay in the NFL as a 4th-5th WR for many years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

No he hasn't. 
 He is getting some opportunity now in his 1st year in a REAL Offense.
 Chester has 37 catches on his way to 45-50.  Reggie had 49 in year 2 in 16 games.
 And catching 68% of his targets.  T Y is a career 57%.

I would agree he is just starting to look comfortable out there.
  T Y gives us our one one dimensional runt on the WR core. And we have Hines as a multi guy. I am expecting CB to build the rest of the receiving core with players that can catch and be good blockers.
 That said, Rogers has a real shot of continuing to improve and to stay in the NFL as a 4th-5th WR for many years.

Don't think so.  This is Rodgers 3rd. year in a real offense not 2nd.  That means three years to separate yourself.   With Luck having a great year this year he is hardly making a contribution.  Inman and Grant are seeing the field more.  4th- 5th receivers rarely see the field.  He is not Ballard's guy either.   Calling TY a " one dimensional runt"  is way over the top and disrespectful to one of our best players.   Rogers would hope to half the player TY is.   

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

From who? .... Colt fans on this forum?

Certainly not from National media.

He was a UDFA

Um, all of the above?

Don’t slap a confused emoji on my post just because you can’t remember lol.  It was less than a year ago, too!

Let me refresh your ailing memory:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2018/8/22/17653102/nfl-breakout-players-2018-andrew-luck-colts-wr-chester-rogers

https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-once-again-intrigued-potential-chester-rogers

There are about 3 more I can post when you’re finished reading those.  

He's a RFA, so put an original round tender on him and then if he signs an offer sheet elsewhere, bye. You bring him back to compete at PR at camp with the hope that he's not better than your #4 or 5 receiver. If someone else at camp makes him expendable the that is a good thing.