Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I would almost prefer the colts not make the playoffs

CR91

Just hear me out. Even if we make it and thats a big if since we're now a game and a half behind the ravens and a half game behind the dolphins since they have a better conference record not to mention we play two very good defenses in the texans and cowboys and a underrated giants team that just beat the bears, we would have to contend with an explosive chargers team, the steelers and the pats who we havent beaten in years and lets not forget the chiefs who still put up points even without hunt albeit vs the raiders. Sure making the playoffs would be a great experience for our young guys, but lets look at the bigger picture. We're looking at a middle in the round draft pick around 15-18 and this is a very very very deep draft for d-linemen, our number one need imo and I would want nothing more then to get one of them preferably Rashan Gary and with the jets continuing to pummel, a top 5 draft pick in the second round. This team imo has already past my expectations. We need to keep building to be legit contenders.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

no the whole point of the game is to win. Anything can happen once you make the playoffs. To give up for a better position in the draft is ludicrous. The talent difference between the 10th and 30th pick is so small anyways and by no means is any pick a home run.

Im not saying to lose on purpose. Im just pointing out the fact that not making the playoffs would benefit the team more further down the road.

• Like 2

We started off 1-5 with an unhealthy O-line. The O-line got healthy and we won 5 games in a row, averaging nearly 30-points per game in that span. R. Kelly got injured and we lost to a team with a very good D-line.

IF we make the playoffs, hopefully we will have a healthy O-line, and then anything can happen. When Luck has time, he's among the best in the league and the Colts always have a chance.

• Like 5

If they don't make it this year, it'll be 4 years in a row without a playoff trip.

Given that this has happened while the team has elite QB play (injuries accounted for), that's really a big blunder that history isn't going to look at kindly. I can see the articles now basically laying out something like, "if you thought the Colts underachieved during the Peyton era, check out the Luck era"..

They need to play playoff football and get accustomed to it.

• Like 4

all it takes is a handful of serious injuries, arrests, and returns for senior year to turn a great position to just a good or average.  Add to that the fact there are plenty of guys who are way overhyped who end up not holding up to scrutiny, some really bad combines and voila, 6 DL projected in the top 20 now becomes 3.  

This stuff happens every year, and you can never predict to what extent it will happen.  You play to win today because that's the only thing that's really somewhat under your control.  What if the 2019 class ended up being like the 2013 class?  All that losing for what? 

• Like 3

I don't see them making the playoffs anyways this year, so it would be beneficial to get a top 15 pick to land a stud DT and give more playmakers to our defense. I like Gary also. 

After securing that position, Ballard needs to bring in help in the secondary, WR core, and bring in another talented player at LB to go along with Leonard and Walker. 

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't see them making the playoffs anyways this year, so it would be beneficial to get a top 15 pick to land a stud DT and give more playmakers to our defense. I like Gary also. 

After securing that position, Ballard needs to bring in help in the secondary, WR core, and bring in another talented player at LB to go along with Leonard and Walker. 

The WR position has to be addressed there’s no way around it

You just have to get in the playoffs then everybody is equally 0-0 in a win or go home situation. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. 

IMHO if the Colts get in and they have Kelly back and no more injuries I think they may surprise alot of people. 

Wouldn't is be cool to have Luck be CPOY, MVP and SBMVP :) , far fetched and not likely but hey it COULD happen. Colts just need to win one game at a time. 

• Like 1

Hypothetically:

Colts lose out and go 6-10 ...... draft at #10

Colts win out and go 10-6 ...... draft at #20

If the Colts lose out, they prove themselves to be a bad team needing to upgrade many positions. 

If the Colts win out, they prove themselves to be a good team needing to upgrade a few positions.

I would much rather that the Colts be drafting at #20 needing to add 3 or 4 quality starters, than drafting at #10 and needing to add 6-8 quality starters.

• Like 3

The first goal every team usually has at the start of the season is win the division, the secondary goal is make the playoffs. If you have a chance to make the playoffs, you take that chance and make the playoffs. That's how you build a winning culture. That's how you become a desirable place for players to take interest in. You can bet that the Colts, from the administration all the way down to the practice squad have a goal to make it to the post season and win out. 

Next year is no guarantee. Just ask the Cincinnati Reds... 

For this season, even if the chances of playoffs are slim, I want to see this team beat the Texans and continue to improve and demonstrate growth. Let's beat a few high quality teams to end the year off on the right track. It will be hard, but it can be done! And boy will it be a fun way to end the season, playoffs or not. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Correct. The wide receiver corps isn't scaring anyone. Outside of TY, there isn't another #1, a #2 or even a #3 on the roster. With Doyle gone, you take away TY and the passing game is reduced to Ebron and the Seven Dwarfs. 

36 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Making it to the playoffs has a lot of value.

1. In terms of gaining experience for the younger players. For such a young team, this can go a long way.

2. Free Agency: Available free agents want to play for a winning organization, if all else is equal. The assumption is that the Colts would be a favorable destination, especially if they make it to the playoffs and demonstrate that Luck and Co. are on a winning trajectory.

3. Sets the expectation that this is the start of another winning tradition, as was the case with Manning, and the early Luck years And now, once again.

Nailed it!

20 minutes ago, Devildog said:

Nailed it!

57 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Making it to the playoffs has a lot of value.

1. In terms of gaining experience for the younger players. For such a young team, this can go a long way.

2. Free Agency: Available free agents want to play for a winning organization, if all else is equal. The assumption is that the Colts would be a favorable destination, especially if they make it to the playoffs and demonstrate that Luck and Co. are on a winning trajectory.

3. Sets the expectation that this is the start of another winning tradition, as was the case with Manning, and the early Luck years And now, once again.

Peyton's teams missed the playoffs early in his career as well.  Though it was MUCH earlier.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Just hear me out. Even if we make it and thats a big if since we're now a game and a half behind the ravens and a half game behind the dolphins since they have a better conference record not to mention we play two very good defenses in the texans and cowboys and a underrated giants team that just beat the bears, we would have to contend with an explosive chargers team, the steelers and the pats who we havent beaten in years and lets not forget the chiefs who still put up points even without hunt albeit vs the raiders. Sure making the playoffs would be a great experience for our young guys, but lets look at the bigger picture. We're looking at a middle in the round draft pick around 15-18 and this is a very very very deep draft for d-linemen, our number one need imo and I would want nothing more then to get one of them preferably Rashan Gary and with the jets continuing to pummel, a top 5 draft pick in the second round. This team imo has already past my expectations. We need to keep building to be legit contenders.

Im with you.  I want them to make the playoffs and make some noise.  But reality is they likely wouldn't go very far.  So I'd rather not sneak in because it'd does us little good.

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

no the whole point of the game is to win. Anything can happen once you make the playoffs. To give up for a better position in the draft is ludicrous. The talent difference between the 10th and 30th pick is so small anyways and by no means is any pick a home run.

He's not saying to tank...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, egg said:

If the Colts lose out, they prove themselves to be a bad team needing to upgrade many positions. 

If the Colts win out, they prove themselves to be a good team needing to upgrade a few positions.

Win out or lose out, the Colts need a bunch of upgrades.

• Like 3

I'll be very happy the day when we get back to the old Colts football where the question was do you play your starters in the last game to get ready for the playoffs or do you rest them. This don't win to get better draft pick is not how I want to cheer for my Colts.

• Like 5

I mean, I kind of understand turning your nose up at 8-8 and missing the playoffs (not really, but let's go with it). 

I don't understand turning your nose up at making the playoffs just because you expect to lose in the opening week. First, Any Given Sunday. Second, playoff experience and pedigree is valuable to a young team. Third, missing the playoffs doesn't guarantee you anything moving forward.

• Like 7

You want the team to make the playoffs. You want the team to be relevant in the national and local eye and not have a lack of interest in the team. You want the young players to get that taste and grow from there on. 

The best thing for a team if they don't make the playoffs is to be awful and get a great draft pick. The worst thing a team can be is 8-8, that's purgatory. Colts aren't bad enough to get a great pick so making the playoffs is what you want.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I mean, I kind of understand turning your nose up at 8-8 and missing the playoffs (not really, but let's go with it). 

I don't understand turning your nose up at making the playoffs just because you expect to lose in the opening week. First, Any Given Sunday. Second, playoff experience and pedigree is valuable to a young team. Third, missing the playoffs doesn't guarantee you anything moving forward.

Exactly! Playoff experience is a huge accomplishment and something to help spring board off of....I mean would the 2013 Colts won their division and beat the Chiefs without that experience...impossible to know but I think that makes a huge difference in growth for Luck and others going into the next years playoffs. I prefer to make it...even if we lose like we did to Baltimore..you can build off that. Like most have said...we are picking in the middle of the round regardless....might as well have something to show for it. There is a lot of Colts on this team that have never played in the playoffs....that would be a big bonus for experience to have possibly going into next year where I think we all EXPECT to be in the playoffs.

Besides...if we want a better draft pick we can still root for the Jets to lose and get a better second rd pick....much better than rooting for us to lose lol.