Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bills release Kelvin Benjamin, should we?

He has a reputation of not taking his craft seriously (examples of behavior supporting that claim: showing up to camp overweight, spends less time honing his route running compared to teammates).

I was much more interested in Cooper.  Cooper had his flaws too . . . but he has completely ignited that Cowboys offense in a very short period of time.

On the flip side, Benjamin would provide a body type that the Colts haven't had in a long time.

Not a chance. He's been terrible his entire career and has shown up out of shape almost every season. He doesn't seem to have the right mentality for our locker room and hasn't shown much of anything, even as a WR1 for 2 different teams.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, zibby43 said:

On the flip side, Benjamin would provide a body type that the Colts haven't had in a long time.

He wouldn't give us anything really different than Ebron or Swoope give us. His best attribute is contested catches and he's not special when it comes to that. Factor in that contested catches make up a very small percentage of overall pass plays and it's no surprise he hasn't been a productive WR over his career.

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

He wouldn't give us anything really different than Ebron or Swoope give us. His best attribute is contested catches and he's not special when it comes to that. Factor in that contested catches make up a very small percentage of overall pass plays and it's no surprise he hasn't been a productive WR over his career.

His first 2 season, 28 games, 1949 yards, 16 touchdowns. Wouldn't call that "not productive". Why that production faded is the question.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rayski said:

His first 2 season, 28 games, 1949 yards, 16 touchdowns. Wouldn't call that "not productive". Why that production faded is the question.

Multiple knee injuries, being severely out of shape, and not giving a solid effort to improve your craft doesn't help.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

If the deal isnt way over his value I'd definitely take him hes better than Grant lol

If he's claimed off waivers, you'd take over the remainder of his contract, which he's currently playing on his 5th year option at a cost of about $2M.

Is he better than our current #2 or #3 WRs? If yes, then bring him in.

If there is a lack of work ethic, attitude problem, and it turns out that he's not a good fit, then you can always release him.

On the other hand, if it turns out that he has been humbled, works hard in a new environment with Luck as his QB, and T.Y. as his mentor, it may work out.

• Like 1

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

If we didn't go after Cooper i don't see us going after Benjamin.

What do people not understand about trading players and signing them for cheap one costs a 1st the other costs 2 mil. People were mad we got collins and didnt get gordon when the reason we got one was cause he cost nothing the other cost a pick

He didn't enjoy playing with Cam Newton. Says Newton didn't know how to put his receivers in a succeeding role and was bad at ball placement. Luck would probably enjoy having the big body guy here but not sure if it's Kelvin Benjamin or not. He would have to shape up really quick to be here.

• Like 1

His 35% catch rate (according to NFL Next-Gen Stats) is the worst in the league and a HUGE concern. A change of scenery could help him tremendously, but he hasn't shown to be anything but lazy in the past few years. A new QB and coaching staff can help, but they can't do anything for you if you're not willing to do anything for yourself.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shive said:

His 35% catch rate (according to NFL Next-Gen Stats) is the worst in the league and a HUGE concern. A change of scenery could help him tremendously, but he hasn't shown to be anything but lazy in the past few years. A new QB and coaching staff can help, but they can't do anything for you if you're not willing to do anything for yourself.

Agree with your points: 

A:  A new QB and coaching staff can help,

B: But they can't do anything for him if he's not willing to do anything for himself.

If he's all about making money, and now that he has some, he thinks he doesn't need to push himself, then obviously pass on him.

But if he was not motivated because he was inured, or playing with Newton, then random Bills QBs, then maybe putting him in a situation where the expectations are high with Luck, especially for next year, might motivate him.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shive said:

Not a chance. He's been terrible his entire career and has shown up out of shape almost every season. He doesn't seem to have the right mentality for our locker room and hasn't shown much of anything, even as a WR1 for 2 different teams.

One of those teams was BUF though...and they had no other real weapons at WR or TE. Imagine getting traded to that team.

CAR had guys like Olsen and Ginn and Funchess...and Benjamin was productive.

I don't know anything about his attitude though. But I would think he would be at least motivated to get a better payday than he would right now.

Not for me, stinks  of desperation to even consider him. There is no way anyone would want him otherwise. He really isn’t the answer to our problems, will just add another one to them. He’s going to have to learn the playbook, so is he going to make the real difference we need. He’s had multiple injuries (knee), weight problems, he’s now 27 and still not lit it up, so is he really going to kick on next season.  :no:

30 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

What do people not understand about trading players and signing them for cheap one costs a 1st the other costs 2 mil. People were mad we got collins and didnt get gordon when the reason we got one was cause he cost nothing the other cost a pick

Good point about Collins. Not sure how people could be for the Collins pickup, but against rolling the dice on Benjamin.

16 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I don't really see why not. Colts still have a shot at the playoffs...and Benjamin would help them.

Plus, if Ballard really likes what he sees...maybe Benjamin becomes that vet FA WR they sign this offseason. Think of it like an audition.

"Think of it like an audition"...I was going to post the same thing shastamasta. Same way I'd look at it. 

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Good point about Collins. Not sure how people could be for the Collins pickup, but against rolling the dice on Benjamin.

My point was just that people were mad we got collins instead of gordon when gordon was traded not signed for cheap to the practice squad its like some just don't understand simple things lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

If we didn't go after Cooper i don't see us going after Benjamin.

Cooper would’ve cost the Colts a first round pick.

Claiming Benjamin costs us nothing except money and he’s not expensive.

That’s a BIG difference.

Not saying we have to sign him.  Only noting the difference in cost.

29 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

He didn't enjoy playing with Cam Newton. Says Newton didn't know how to put his receivers in a succeeding role and was bad at ball placement. Luck would probably enjoy having the big body guy here but not sure if it's Kelvin Benjamin or not. He would have to shape up really quick to be here.

Benjamin and now Funchess...both underachieving WRs in CAR. Either CAR is really bad at evaluating WR talent...or there's another issue. Probably both.

If you look at Benjamin's production when Derek Anderson has started at QB (5 games ...including in BUF)...he has 5 catches/game, 74 yds/game. Not earth-shattering...but not bad. And that was with Derek Anderson...not a QB like Luck.

I think the Colts would gladly take that production...considering they don't have a WR (outside of TY) that has half that per game production. 

16 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not for me, stinks  of desperation to even consider him. There is no way anyone would want him otherwise. He really isn’t the answer to our problems, will just add another one to them. He’s going to have to learn the playbook, so is he going to make the real difference we need. He’s had multiple injuries (knee), weight problems, he’s now 27 and still not lit it up, so is he really going to kick on next season.  :no:

Desperate times (like putting up a goose egg with Luck at QB) calls for desperate measures.

But I actually don't think it's desperate at all. It's just a short-term opportunity. If it works...it could be a great move that helps them win. If it doesn't work...then Benjamin is released or leaves in FA at the end of season...and that's that.

I don't think the Colts' locker room is some fragile ecosystem that could be destroyed by Kelvin Benjamin...at least I hope that's not the case.