Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. Hilton or Marvin Harrison...

tucky89

18 hours ago, tucky89 said:

T.Y.'s first seven seasons: 40 TD's/7,537 yards/476 receptions.

Marvin's first seven seasons: 73 TD's/8,800 yards/665 receptions/

The only thing TY somewhat has in common with Marvin is yardage and still he is insufficient by about 180 yds per season.  General analysis of the highlighted stats proves TY is nowhere in the same realm as Marv.

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

Hilton commands respect, but doesn't strike fear into opposing defensive coordinators the way Marvin did. I think Marvin was superior in every aspect of his game compared to Hilton. Not saying Hilton won't end up in the HOF, but thus far, I'd call it 50/50.

Hilton disappears far too often to make the HoF. Not happening. Heck, Reggie is much better and may not make it in

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

Marvin never turned GHOST in the big games

This has to be sarcasm.  TY has only played in 6 playoff games compared to Harrison's 16 and has more 100 yard games and the same amount of touchdowns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

Marvin never turned GHOST in the big games

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

This has to be sarcasm.  TY has only played in 6 playoff games compared to Harrison's 16 and has more 100 yard games and the same amount of touchdowns.

‘I’ve already given my opinion that it’s a no contest between the two of them, but in Hilton’s defence, he has suffered by having some poor quality receivers lining up alongside him.

On 12/3/2018 at 6:28 PM, tucky89 said:

By the end of T.Y.'s career, who will have the title of best Colts receiver ever?

Before I even looked at the numbers, the comparison was heavily weighted for marty marv. Marvin has, I believe to be a record that will never get broken because of all that is involved. Marv has the record for the most catches in a season 143. Why is this record hard to break. It involves a minimum of 2 key components. 1 a good QB. 2 a good receiver. No, a great receiver.

7 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

If you have to ask this question then you clearly never watched Marvin Harrison play.

TY is good, but he's nowhere near Harrison's level.

Marvin played like it was the easiest thing in the world to do. He made one amazing play after another, and I don't think his relaxed expression ever changed. It was a thing of beauty to watch.

• Like 1

I remember when Marvin was drafted.  1996.  At the little mini-camp event in the Hoosier Dome a couple weeks after the event, the team was doing drills and such with the new players.  Over on our side, they were running 10 yard out patterns.  First, there was Sean Dawkins, a player we took in the first round a few years before out of Cal.  Supposedly good, but a bit lazy.  They simulated the snap.  He ran.  Somewhere around 12 yards he made this broad circle.  Caught the ball.  Yawn.  Then it was the rookie's turn.  Simulated the snap.  POW!  He took off like a bullet.  10 yards - SCREECH! 90 degree angle to the sideline.  Ball was just out of his reach, however, SCHLOOONK! just drew it in with suction cups on the ends of his fingers.  I just sat there stunned.  Along with everyone else in the stadium.  All of us with mouths open like guppies.  Oh.  Oh?  Oh!!  It was only a 10 yard out.  But we knew.  We had something special.  You could tell from the very beginning.

I like TY.  Love TY.  But seriously.  The two don't compare.

• Like 1

Until T.Y. can stop acting like a little school girl around rookie CB's, a start acting like one of the elite WR's he is suppose to be, then Marvin will always be at the top of the list, with Reggie right behind him. Don't get me wrong, I like T.Y., but he needs to start playing like an elite, not just once every 3 games.

On 12/4/2018 at 5:24 PM, luckyBatistuta said:

‘I’ve already given my opinion that it’s a no contest between the two of them, but in Hilton’s defence, he has suffered by having some poor quality receivers lining up alongside him.

Look at Marvin’s number twos until Reggie was drafted and he even played with Harbaugh and company before Peyton was drafted and he still put up really good numbers.  Marvin was special and one of the top five WRs all time IMO.  Marvin also did it before the NFL made things a lot easier for WRs.

if I had to rank Colts WRs I’d go Marvin, Berry, Wayne, and then Hilton as a distant fourth.  

• Like 2

Marvin is one of the greatest of all time period. Hilton isn’t top 5 right now. 1,964 is the record held by Megatron for yards in a season in his prime. No receiver has ever touched 2000. Marvin sniffed 2000 twice in his career. 99 he had 1633 and in 02 he had 1722. The most  impressive thing about the 02 stat is that by the time he was a established No. 1 and someone people obviously gameplanned for. TY’s best year was 1448 in 2016. Not crapping on T.Y. at all. But putting him in the conversation with a HOF receiver like Marvin Harrison is beyond laughable at the moment. Maybe later on I hope. TY isn’t the best receiver right now and Marvin is arguably top 5 all time. C’mon Man!

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Except Marvin did.  Look at Marvin’s playoff numbers outside of the Broncos. They aren’t good.  With that I’d still take Marvin seven days a week and twice on Sundays over TY.

That’s because the Broncos had the greatest cornerback of that era (Champ Bailey) and dared to cover Marv one on one & payed dearly for it.  Everybody else double teamed Marv with a trailing corner and clear safety help over the top...  They would let Peyton go to Reggie, Dallas, Stokely or whomever because they knew Marv was the one that would kill you...  So Marv’s post season numbers weren’t the best but his presence allowed others to eat.

56 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

That’s because the Broncos had the greatest cornerback of that era (Champ Bailey) and dared to cover Marv one on one & payed dearly for it.  Everybody else double teamed Marv with a trailing corner and clear safety help over the top...  They would let Peyton go to Reggie, Dallas, Stokely or whomever because they knew Marv was the one that would kill you...  So Marv’s post season numbers weren’t the best but his presence allowed others to eat.

Again, outside of Wayne the Colts offensive numbers in playoffs weren’t that great, again minus the Broncos games and one game in there vs. the Chiefs.  

Wayne was about the only one of those guys to regularly produce in the playoffs.  

While id still take Marvin over TY for his career.  The one area that TY can say he’s outdone Marvin is playoffs.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Again, outside of Wayne the Colts offensive numbers in playoffs weren’t that great, again minus the Broncos games and one game in there vs. the Chiefs.  

Wayne was about the only one of those guys to regularly produce in the playoffs.  

While id still take Marvin over TY for his career.  The one area that TY can say he’s outdone Marvin is playoffs.

Marvin biggest 2 point conversion in Playoff history vs NE in 2006 and the catch was tough. Big things people over look I guess or forgot about. Marvin was always double teamed too in the Playoffs. teams game planned for him.

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Marvin biggest 2 point conversion in Playoff history vs NE in 2006 and the catch was tough. Big things people over look I guess or forgot about. Marvin was always double teamed too in the Playoffs. teams game planned for him.

Yes that was a great play, but if you follow the convo that I was having that started this that poster said TY disappeared in the playoffs unlike Marvin in terms of numbers.  Truth be told Marvin disappeared more than TY does in the playoffs.  Also let’s not pretend like teams don’t double team and game plan for TY too.  

Again, career and talent wise it’s Marvin hands down, I’ve said I think Marvin was top five all time at the WR position and I think you could say the greatest Colt in the history of football none QB divison.  Still, the one area TY can say he has on Marvin is playoff performance.  

Marvin usually could always get separation no matter how many defenders he had on him. Granted two different eras but Marvin all the way. 

I like TY and granted he is one of only a couple weapons the Colts have right now but I don't think he puts in what Marvin did. 

On 12/3/2018 at 6:28 PM, tucky89 said:

By the end of T.Y.'s career, who will have the title of best Colts receiver ever?

88 & that is in Indianapolis or Baltimore Colts history is Number 1 

1.102 Rec 14.580 Yards with 128 TD's  

TY has some very big shoes to fill he needs to show up big in the Texans game if he wants to impress & show hes worthy of such high praise to be compared to 88 he needs to have a big game I hope he does I really cannot stand any team from texas'  GO COLTS