Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Conventional rb screens ... Why does Frank hate them

GusFring

20 minutes ago, GusFring said:

That oass rush was ferocious yesterday. He calls screens, but it's usually when the rb is lined up as a wr or something. That was a gm that needed more screens. Then it hit me, how few rb screens are actually called. Why is that?

Because it's not Madden and screens against a team with very good and very fast Lbers usually do not do much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Because it's not Madden and screens against a team with very good and very fast Lbers usually do not do much.

i never got the hang of RB screens in madden.  the back always  seemed to make an awkward catch and have trouble turning upfield 

• Like 1

You also need your players to play the part.  It’s an act/fake so the players must do their part.  Many of my better coaches said you must block one of the outside opponents either the OLB or the DE.  Example and depending on your scheme, say the screen is on the right your RT must either block or push his man inside.  If not the DE/OLB will have a free run to the QB or will be able to block the pass (pass usually a lob with no arch).  Again not a play you run at the playground level but also timing.  Also there’s not much time for QB check down so timing and QB decision is off essence.

The Colts get worked by more screens and RB dump passes than any team I've ever seen. 

How many 1st downs did the Jags convert on those passes yesterday (they converted a 3rd & 13 on their second FG drive to name one)? Send everyone on +10 yard routes, wait for our LBers to sink into their zones and dump it off to the RB for a 5-15 yard gain. Rinse and repeat over and over and over and over - game after game after game.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

The Colts get worked by more screens and RB dump passes than any team I've ever seen. 

How many 1st downs did the Jags convert on those passes yesterday (they converted a 3rd & 13 on their second FG drive to name one)? Send everyone on +10 yard routes, wait for our LBers to sink into their zones and dump it off to the RB for a 5-15 yard gain. Rinse and repeat over and over and over and over - game after game after game.

That’s what you get in a don’t give up the big play down the field defense

56 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

How many 1st downs did the Jags convert on those passes yesterday (they converted a 3rd & 13 on their second FG drive to name one)?

That wasn't and RB screen. That was a pass concept, checked down to the RB (behind the los).

Anyway, RB screens need a lightning fast turn and release from the QB to be effective. Luck has a quite quick release, but he has a big body, and altough his straight line speed is decent, he's not particularly agile. It takes a bit more time for him to turn his body 90 percent, than for a more agile QB. Maybe this is also amongst the reasons.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I assume aggressive means 5 or more coming across the LOS consistently, which Jax was not doing.

Aggressive means in constant pass rush mode. Wasn't a whole lot of blitzing to me. Some, but they were getting pressure with their line. 

1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

That wasn't and RB screen. That was a pass concept, checked down to the RB (behind the los).

Anyway, RB screens need a lightning fast turn and release from the QB to be effective. Luck has a quite quick release, but he has a big body, and altough his straight line speed is decent, he's not particularly agile. It takes a bit more time for him to turn his body 90 percent, than for a more agile QB. Maybe this is also amongst the reasons.

That was a designed pass to the RB and it wasnt behind the LOS. Thats the RB dump pass Im talking about. They waited 2 seconds for our LBs to sink into their zone (already 10 yards off the ball) and dump it off to the RB underneath. Given the fact that theyre at the fringe of FG range should have been reason enough to limit any yardage gained but we gave them at least 10 free yards which makes a 56-57 yard FG a 46-47 even if they dont convert the down. Thats why it happens week after week.

image.png.5dafc1d296f88adbd2ec5580d46bc00f.png

Same formation and same play from the first Jags game with a different result. The Red Zone didnt/couldnt allow the Colts to play so far off the ball which left the defenders much closer to the tackle for a 5 yard gain. These are not check downs due to coverage, these are designed plays that we've shown we cannot reliably defend.

image.thumb.png.5c01841a014fb3803360463595ef1f70.png

1 hour ago, GusFring said:

Aggressive means in constant pass rush mode. Wasn't a whole lot of blitzing to me. Some, but they were getting pressure with their line. 

Exactly, so how is a screen pass supposed to work when there are 7 defenders on on the defensive side of the ball?

A team screens to break the blitz, if the defensive is not blitzing then a screen play is not going to do much.

• Like 1

I would like to see more 2 rb sets with Doyle out. Hilton, Inman, Ebron, Mack and Himes. Old pro set but with 2 rbs and not rb and fb. We need Ebron especially now to block his butt off he can't come off the field anymore. Mack can't lose snaps to Wilkins and Himes but Himes needs to be on the field. So thats why more 2 rb sets.