Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This game shows the obvious needs we need on Offense next year...Ballard needs to act../Bell (merge)

threeflight

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I finally agree with everyone here that want Bell or another top RB on our team. Mack is way too inconsistent, Hines is a solid receiving back, but a limited runner, and Wilkins is average at best. We need someone who can run 15-20 times a game, catch the ball, and can make the defense respect the run so Luck can throw it better. It finally caught up to us. The WR's are garbage besides Hilton, and the RBs are exposed now. Please get Bell, Hunt, or draft a true power back that can carry the load for us.

Welcome to dark side lmao

• Like 4

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

Obviously I was exaggerating but the point stands.....paying an extra $5 M to Bell is not going to break us....at all.

How many years does Luck have left?  Let's make the remaining years as good as possible.

Amen to this! Enough is enough. Its about time this team has a LEGITIMATE run game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

A better RB scores on that shovel pass 

I can't lie if we were to get a guy like Bell/Edgerrin (workhorse), Wilkins would be the guy to go if it's me. Mack 1B (D.Rhodes) and Hines as the annoying scat back #3.

I REALLY think those of you dead-set on signing Bell are going to be disappointed. Ballard has repeatedly said he's trying to build a strong locker room. When it comes to free agents, especially high priced guys, the team sees that and so they have to be a strong locker room presence and leader. Bell is looking for WR1 money and his former teammates had zero issue calling him out and raiding his locker when he didn't show. Not exactly sticking out as a leader. He's very good... but he'll be a 30 year old running back on the back half of his career looking to shatter the market. I'm 95% sure Ballard passes... and I don't blame him.

2 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I REALLY think those of you dead-set on signing Bell are going to be disappointed. Ballard has repeatedly said he's trying to build a strong locker room. When it comes to free agents, especially high priced guys, the team sees that and so they have to be a strong locker room presence and leader. Bell is looking for WR1 money and his former teammates had zero issue calling him out and raiding his locker when he didn't show. Not exactly sticking out as a leader. He's very good... but he'll be a 30 year old running back on the back half of his career looking to shatter the market. I'm 95% sure Ballard passes... and I don't blame him.

Bell is isn’t a bad locker room guy. He just wants to be paid for the workload he has to take on. Over 300 carries in a season last season. He hasn’t been a problem for his teammates or a cancer before the contract. Also, people on this forum overblow the distraction thing so much it’s ridiculous 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, MTC said:

I really like Bell, but I really do not like the potential price tag associated with his name. 

Honest question though?? What can he be honestly expecting after sitting out an entire year? 

Rarely do you ever see a guy miss an entire year in a sport (voluntarily).

Part of me sees the owners getting together and basically making a pact to under pay this guy and/or black ball him totally at this point.

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

Bell is isn’t a bad locker room guy. He just wants to be paid for the workload he has to take on. Over 300 carries in a season last season. He hasn’t been a problem for his teammates or a cancer before the contract. Also, people on this forum overblow the distraction thing so much it’s ridiculous 

I'm all for Bell getting paid. The way teams can franchise a guy multiple times and hold them "hostage" (albeit at a high salary and cap hit) is something that I think should definitely be addressed in the next CBA. It's especially bad for RBs who have that dreaded 30yo label instantly dropping perceived value.

All that in mind, I just don't see Ballard resetting the market for an old (in RB terms) RB who has been run into the ground. That same player's teammates raided his locker and were talking trash about him earlier in the season while his late round draft pick replacement has been putting up comparable or, in some cases, better numbers in his absence. Given what Ballard has said about how he wants to build and taking everything else into consideration... I just don't see it.

Then again, 120m and a spending floor could mean anything.

I can't bring myself to read through all of the threads after today, so forgive me if I am repeating anything.

Luck and Reich were on a roll because they had Doyle. He allowed them to stay a step ahead of the defensive playcalling and massively helped the running game. Doyle allows Ebron to be used as a weapon. Ebron is not as effective as an every down TE, although he had nice numbers today. 

Unless Cox or Swoope majorly elevate their game, the season is done for IMO and I think they will be drafting a TE in the first three rounds or signing one in the offseason to compliment Doyle and Ebron. 

• Like 1

we have two second round picks in 2019 correct? We should be able to get solid WR, RB, and DL with the our first thee picks. We're also in line to get one or maybe two compensatory picks (projected to be in the 4th). I'd love it if we could somehow figure out a way to grab another 1st or 2nd round pick (giving us 4 picks in the first two rounds). Assuming Ballard gets the right guys, we could have an even better draft than 2018. 

2019 is very deep with DL, good with WR. decent for RBs. i'd love to get a guy/RB like Josh Jacobs somewhere late 2nd through 3rd. 

Instead of spending all the cash on Bell, get a solid proven DB in the FA market.

Today showed how much they miss Doyle and Kelly.  Drops also returned.  I think we all know the second WR spot is a major area of need.

as far as runningback goes I don’t think Mack is as bad people think.  He came into today with the fourth most yards in the league at the runningback spot since week six when he returned.  

The Jags D played like they are capable of playing combined with the Colts making poor decisions to not take points.  Sometimes that happens.  You have to be careful not to overreact to a game like this just like we shouldn’t have overreacted the Bills game earlier this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Is Bell the answer?

just one player?  (Expensive one too)

3 hours ago, Calmack said:

This shows your hilarious lack of understanding of the Bell situation. Bad guy Bell for wanting top tier RB guaranteed money and security.. At a position that has the shortest shelf life. Dudes looking out for himself. 

Honest Question:  What is the difference between the team that signs Bell and the teams with T. Gurley, E. Elliott, M. Gordon, and S. Barkley?

1 hour ago, MTC said:

I really like Bell, but I really do not like the potential price tag associated with his name. 

To be honest I don't care what he will cost.  Luck needs another playmaker he can count on.  He isn't getting any younger.  Ballard is capable of getting a fair deal done.  I'm tired of avg. rookies trying to play RB.  We've tried it for years.  Enough already. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I'm all for Bell getting paid. The way teams can franchise a guy multiple times and hold them "hostage" (albeit at a high salary and cap hit) is something that I think should definitely be addressed in the next CBA.

This was added when the owners gave in to free agency on a CBA.  Pat Bowlen said he would not give in to Free Agency if it meant he couldn't retain John Elway.  Thus the franchise tag.  The players will have to relinquish something of value to remove, alter, or reduce that tag.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/23/nfl-franchise-tag-rule-explanation-history-origin-themmqb-newsletter

It morphed over time from an 'honor' to the prison tag'. however, the NFLPA did not get it changed in 2011-

"But when the time came to renegotiate in 2011, the NFLPA barely fought for its repeal, because as one union source told Albert Breer, "We knew it'd be fruitless." Teams found the tool too valuable to surrender. Plus, the tag only affected a handful of players each year and, ultimately, a guaranteed top-of-the-line one-year contract is far from a sob story."

Not sure it will get changed this next round either.

12 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

we have two second round picks in 2019 correct? We should be able to get solid WR, RB, and DL with the our first thee picks. We're also in line to get one or maybe two compensatory picks (projected to be in the 4th). I'd love it if we could somehow figure out a way to grab another 1st or 2nd round pick (giving us 4 picks in the first two rounds). Assuming Ballard gets the right guys, we could have an even better draft than 2018. 

2019 is very deep with DL, good with WR. decent for RBs. i'd love to get a guy/RB like Josh Jacobs somewhere late 2nd through 3rd. 

Instead of spending all the cash on Bell, get a solid proven DB in the FA market.

We have the cap to get both if need be.  So many think it's so easy to hit on these draft picks.  Like it's a sure thing.  We fixed the line.  We need to get Luck some proven playmakers now.  Tired of these slippery fingered second and third tier receivers and RB's that can't see a hole or go down way to easily.  The NFL is all about scoring. Get the man some weapons. 

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly, Hines has impressed me more  as a runner and receiver than Mack and Wilkins.  I think we need a back we can count on.  Not sure Hines could carry the load as a lead back but he runs very hard for his size

We have tried this RB by committee for quite a few years now.  A long time actually.  Even with a good line it struggles and can't be counted on.  Time to go back to the triplets and get a RB that strikes fear into opposing defenses.  Luck is playing shorthanded.  Enough already.

3 hours ago, Surge89 said:

Which literally doesn't matter if Q gives you 2 yards of space lol.

Either way put Wilkins in because I agree with you and I bet Wilkins still gets the yards.  But that's my point didn't even get a chance.

As long as Wilkins doesn't fumble...

The one concern I have is that we have not been able to run against a top rated D.  A lot of our big running games  have come against weak D's.  I think everyone got excited bout our O line .  Like i said a while back. They r good pass protectors but  lacking at run blocking.  

The bottom line is that we can't hit on a good RB to save our lives. We can get decent ones that are inconsistent and show brief flashes, but nothing that can carry a team, let alone a committee that can do it like so many of us here want. I'm guessing if we don't sign Bell or Hunt, Ballard will draft another RB in the 4th round to compete with what we have and create more competition, and odds are it won't work out any better. There are RB's out there that hit, but we can't find them it seems. My two cents on this is, if someone is there like Bell or Hunt, they don't cost draft picks and only money, and they are a guaranteed starter and improvement for your team for a few years, don't worry about overpaying. EVERYONE overpays in FA. Fill the needs you can and that are provided, then use the draft around what you build in FA. Even filling a position like RB that is secondary in today's NFL is HUGE! 

I hope this doesn't become a yearly thing with Ballard like it was with Grigson where Luck has no running game. The solution is right there. If we can't get it working at the end of the season, sign Bell or Hunt, and put the RB situation behind us. Ballard should be able to work around whatever their contract would be. Frontload it, backload it, whatever you need to do. I never want to see this type of game again.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The bottom line is that we can't hit on a good RB to save our lives. We can get decent ones that are inconsistent and show brief flashes, but nothing that can carry a team, let alone a committee that can do it like so many of us here want. I'm guessing if we don't sign Bell or Hunt, Ballard will draft another RB in the 4th round to compete with what we have and create more competition, and odds are it won't work out any better. There are RB's out there that hit, but we can't find them it seems. My two cents on this is, if someone is there like Bell or Hunt, they don't cost draft picks and only money, and they are a guaranteed starter and improvement for your team for a few years, don't worry about overpaying. EVERYONE overpays in FA. Fill the needs you can and that are provided, then use the draft around what you build in FA. Even filling a position like RB that is secondary in today's NFL is HUGE! 

I hope this doesn't become a yearly thing with Ballard like it was with Grigson where Luck has no running game. The solution is right there. If we can't get it working at the end of the season, sign Bell or Hunt, and put the RB situation behind us. Ballard should be able to work around whatever their contract would be. Frontload it, backload it, whatever you need to do. I never want to see this type of game again.

Ballard is trying to hit on a rb in the later rounds as that is the trend now a days.  That being said for every 3rd and 4th round back that becomes a #1 back, there r a lot of low pick backs that don't make the roster. U can't continue to use your 4th and 5th round picks and miss.  At this point, Ballard is basically getting what he paid for.   Swiss army knife approach. They are good at some things  but not great at one thing.  We need an every down back that we can count on.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, threeflight said:

Absolutely have to be.

He really wants to be here.  Imagine a combo of Luck, Bell, Hilton and a another top WR, and then Doyle and Ebron.  

Would be an amazing offense.

Bell doesn’t care if he is here or there, he just wants paid a lot and he knows the Colts have the most cap space to spend. He is 100% about the money, not the team at all. I’m not ready to give top money to a Rb when we need much more than him. I’d say get a top wr and then focus on defensive talent. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This was added when the owners gave in to free agency on a CBA.  Pat Bowlen said he would not give in to Free Agency if it meant he couldn't retain John Elway.  Thus the franchise tag.  The players will have to relinquish something of value to remove, alter, or reduce that tag.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/23/nfl-franchise-tag-rule-explanation-history-origin-themmqb-newsletter

It morphed over time from an 'honor' to the prison tag'. however, the NFLPA did not get it changed in 2011-

"But when the time came to renegotiate in 2011, the NFLPA barely fought for its repeal, because as one union source told Albert Breer, "We knew it'd be fruitless." Teams found the tool too valuable to surrender. Plus, the tag only affected a handful of players each year and, ultimately, a guaranteed top-of-the-line one-year contract is far from a sob story."

Not sure it will get changed this next round either.

As a fan of a small market team I am a fan of the franchise tag as it means you can keep your superstars.  Without it the NFL could turn into something like the NBA where the superstars run the show and small market teams suffer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Savage56 said:

Our WR's behind Hilton aren't good at all. All I can do is hope we move on from Grant and Rogers, and possibly Inman, while adding at least two solid WR's during the off-season.

They will get Cain back and everyone was raving about him until he got hurt.  That should help.  Still if they draft one early or spend money to get a guy I won’t complain.

I’m on the Bell train at this point. I don’t think we HAVE to sign him like some posters but it would be a great move. The RB class is weak. 

And a big outside WR is a must. That should come from the draft. I’d be looking at D.K. Metcalf, JJAW, and Harry early on. Especially if our draft pick is going to be a low first and we have the Jets early 2nd round pick. If D.K. grades out as a round 1 guy, and all the good DTs are gone, take him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, threeflight said:

I should have known.  Actually I did lol.

She had BPD, borderline personality disorder.  For anyone who has dated a girl with that....it's a total nightmare.

In Kareem's defense, the girl did look pretty hot.  I hope he at least got a lil' somethin' somethin' out of it before she went bezerk haha.

Dude I know what it’s like. I went on a  1st and only date with a girl who had that. I have no doubt she’s a future serial killer in the making. 

We were driving and her mom kept calling her and bugging her and she was getting annoyed by her mom and I said, “it’s ok answer it she prob wants to make sure I’m not a creep or a rapist or something”. She screams at me at the top of her lungs “don’t bleeping say that to me I’ve been raped”. So it’s silent in my car and I’m driving in shock so I reached over and touched her hand and was like hey I’m sorry that happened to you, I didn’t know and she goes”. Don’t touch me mfer, u don’t know me!!!    By the way she was supposed to stay the night because she was in town on break from school and asked if she could crash at my place so I’m like ok u don’t know me but you wanted to stay at my place?  It got so bad I ended up kicking her out of my car a few blocks away from her house. She was a complete psychopath. 

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Another quality receiver is far more important than getting someone like Bell.  Want another RB sign tevin Coleman is the offseason.

bell is available though and no receivers of that caliber are.  he is a good receiver too

i do like coleman though and he probably wont be that expensive 

On 12/2/2018 at 4:31 PM, RollerColt said:

We are definitely lacking talent, but our biggest issue is and continues to be health.

We just can’t get a break with player injuries. 

We can acquire all sorts of talent, but I worry...

All of our receivers and runningbacks were healthy. All but one of our lineman were healthy and active (plus Haeg who hasn't played all year). We still didn't put a point up. The OP isn't wrong. We couldn't run the ball with Mack, Wilkins and Hines and everyone knew it. It's unacceptable. Could we have run the ball with Bell and Mack as a secondary back?... Down their throat. As much as I want to continue watching Ballard build this defense up (and I think there will be great options this offseason for that), i think we have to take the offensive skilled positions seriously this offseason, because they have been lacking for years. We desparately need a #2 receiver with #1 upside. Look at Hilton's production when Wayne was healthy. 2014? Dominated. That unit behind this o-line? wouldn't have been shut out this game, guarantee it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Dude I know what it’s like. I went on a  1st and only date with a girl who had that. I have no doubt she’s a future serial killer in the making. 

We were driving and her mom kept calling her and bugging her and she was getting annoyed by her mom and I said, “it’s ok answer it she prob wants to make sure I’m not a creep or a rapist or something”. She screams at me at the top of her lungs “don’t bleeping say that to me I’ve been raped”. So it’s silent in my car and I’m driving in shock so I reached over and touched her hand and was like hey I’m sorry that happened to you, I didn’t know and she goes”. Don’t touch me mfer, u don’t know me!!!    By the way she was supposed to stay the night because she was in town on break from school and asked if she could crash at my place so I’m like ok u don’t know me but you wanted to stay at my place?  It got so bad I ended up kicking her out of my car a few blocks away from her house. She was a complete psychopath. 

Sad how many women have BPD.  It is a very dangerous disorder.  They suck you in like a tornado and never let you out.

16 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

All of our receivers and runningbacks were healthy. All but one of our lineman were healthy and active (plus Haeg who hasn't played all year). We still didn't put a point up. The OP isn't wrong. We couldn't run the ball with Mack, Wilkins and Hines and everyone knew it. It's unacceptable. Could we have run the ball with Bell and Mack as a secondary back?... Down their throat. As much as I want to continue watching Ballard build this defense up (and I think there will be great options this offseason for that), i think we have to take the offensive skilled positions seriously this offseason, because they have been lacking for years. We desparately need a #2 receiver with #1 upside. Look at Hilton's production when Wayne was healthy. 2014? Dominated. That unit behind this o-line? wouldn't have been shut out this game, guarantee it. 

I mean, you're not wrong there, same with the OP. I just have a weird feeling about all these injuries we seem to take. I know it's really not as much as other teams, but man... 

I just wonder how Cain would've been this year had he not had that freak accident... 

Perhaps we continue building the D in the draft and some of the offense pieces through free agency. Or maybe a mix of the two. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I mean, you're not wrong there, same with the OP. I just have a weird feeling about all these injuries we seem to take. I know it's really not as much as other teams, but man... 

I just wonder how Cain would've been this year had he not had that freak accident... 

Perhaps we continue building the D in the draft and some of the offense pieces through free agency. Or maybe a mix of the two. 

I like Cain. I mean seemed like a guy that has potential in the pre season.  But that is not something you can count on.  How many wr's have great pre seasons and then do nothing?

Countless.

We need a top flight PROVEN wr.  Would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have Gordon. But that ship has sailed.

Imagine someone like a Keenan Allen with TY.

Oh my.