Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This game shows the obvious needs we need on Offense next year...Ballard needs to act../Bell (merge)

threeflight

It will be an interesting off season

The discussions about THAT GUY (RB from the Pittsburgh...... have become long, and drawn out....... I cant believe YOU GUYS keep bringing him up  :) ..... IT A LOW CHANCE OF HAPPENING........ (whether I like the guy or not)

I personally dont see a difference maker WR in the FA market.

But, I agree........  we need it

I believe that we NEED to come away in the off-season with one or two ADDITIONAL difference makers on offense to get us past the type of slugfest we had with Jacksonville

Players that can make a difference on grass fields as well as winter situations

(we wont ALWAYS be on our home field)

I liked Cain, and HOPE that he can be that guy or one of those guys.

Hope is not a plan though

I think we all agree that we ALSO need at LEAST 3 additional contributors on defense

Getting a Reid or Collins in FA, to play SS, would be a HUGE step

(And save us from using a precious draft pick)

Is SIX new players too much to ask for Christmas????

DE, DL, SS, WR, OT, CB (No order)

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

no one else has mentioned it, yet they are saying we need a receiver

he plays in the slot sometimes and effectively is a receiver on those downs

All well and good, except... unless it is an empty set, then him lined up as a slot receiver removes most of his threat for a run play.

IMO, we still need a better #2 dedicated WR even should we sign Bell. And TE's that can stay on the field more. 

On 12/3/2018 at 9:32 PM, Four2itus said:

(Kneels in prayer)......which is weird, because I am not religious....

Please....oh please.....can another team finally acquire Bell when it is legal to do so, so Bell threads can go away?

Unfortunately (for you and others that feel similar) that could be a long time. The Steelers have exclusive negotiating rights until at least early March. They can also transition tag him anytime on or after February 19th 2019.  Legal Tampering negotiating period is 3/11-13, but a contract cannot be executed until after 4:00 pm ET on March 13th. Steelers would then have the right to match one.

Some other snippets I had read about his holdout and potential transition tag-

"Bell feels a bit misunderstood over player business. He cited being turned off by how the Steelers were able to walk away from Troy Polamalu -- who technically retired after the 2014 season -- because the money wasn't guaranteed.

He didn't want to take the Steelers' monster $70 million offer because the true guarantee was $17 million -- well below backs David Johnson and Todd Gurley, who got between $31 million and $45 million guaranteed this summer."

I think Bell held out all year because The Steelers would file a grievance that the Transition tag should be Prorated games missed in 2018.  Since he missed all, then any reduction is unlikely IMO.

"Bell said two things about the transition tag: (1) The team told him during the franchise-tag negotiations that they would apply it, and (2) he would welcome it because he could negotiate with other teams or the Steelers."

But Steelers would have contract match rights to retain him if they desire via that transition tag (only if they decide to use it). But Bell's desire is a longer term contract with hefty guarantees. Would the Steelers match it if/when Bell gets offered one?  We won't know much of anything regarding his status until March.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Dear God...

Nobody is forgetting that.  Do you honestly believe that anyone with an ounce of football IQ is not aware of this?

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

The only thing worse than a slow learner,

is a NO learner.

So you are 11 years old? I guess that might help exlpain it.

no need to get hostile.  if you are tired of this dead horse subject then just dont worry about what i post

im not sure why you are saying im a slow learner either.  maybe you guys dont want him, but that doesnt mean a thing.  ballard hasnt said no

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

you guys are forgetting that bell is a good receiver, he might even be the best one available

if mack could keep the same ypc and hit 1000 yards or so, then i will stop with this.  he hasnt come close to that yet though, and its why im not using ypc as the end all be all.

wilkins ypc is really good, but does anyone actually think hes one of the best backs to ever play?

If he wants to change his position designation to receiver, great.  But is he a better receiver than T.Y.?  T.Y. makes 13 mil/year.  I just say, 17 mil is too much for ANY non-QB offensive player (outside maybe Julio, and Odell).   Odell just signed an 18 mil/year contract extension.  If he wants to stay as a RB,...I just don't want him at 17.  period.

3 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Gerald Willis is just as good and will be available later

I see where you went there lol. Yes Gerald Willis from the U. His game reminds me of a young Warren Sapp. He's tremendous on pass downs. I cant comment on the run as I haven't watched him closely enough against the run.

7 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

If he wants to change his position designation to receiver, great.  But is he a better receiver than T.Y.?  T.Y. makes 13 mil/year.  I just say, 17 mil is too much for ANY non-QB offensive player (outside maybe Julio, and Odell).   Odell just signed an 18 mil/year contract extension.  If he wants to stay as a RB,...I just don't want him at 17.  period.

a lot of people are stuck on that 17 million number when there is no reason to be.  he has no leverage this time, he has to accept what hes offered or hes out of the league 

• Like 1

To hell with Leveon Bell.

We need to get our hands on Kareem Hunt.

He will likely come super cheap. Elite back. Sure what he did was bad, but Joe Mixon cold cocked some girl and knocked her out and he plays in the NFL. What Kareem did wasn't even 1/2 as bad as that.

1 hour ago, SilentHill said:

He will likely come super cheap. Elite back. Sure what he did was bad, but Joe Mixon cold cocked some girl and knocked her out and he plays in the NFL. What Kareem did wasn't even 1/2 as bad as that.

She hit her head on a table didn't she? And it was a couple years before he was drafted. And Gee Whizz, this isn't April of 2017. Ya think? Not that you care.

Zero % on Hunt here.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 9:04 AM, Lawrence Owen said:

We have a good stable. no reason to pay so much $ on a position where we have 2 players that average more YPC right now than Bell has EVER averaged.

Even if we want to improve our backs -- and there's room to improve, for sure -- there are better ways to do so than paying Bell.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Superman said:

Even if we want to improve our backs -- and there's room to improve, for sure -- there are better ways to do so than paying Bell.

Can you explain this to me? Seems Mack is top 10 in all these fields,..including Efficiency.  I'm getting a head ache trying to understand what all these mean since Each stat is If you take this and add that..minus that equals this.    But seems they are saying Mack is the 4th most 'efficient' back in the league.

outsiders.png

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

2 hours ago, SilentHill said:

But neither has/do/or will play for the Colts.

51 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Can you explain this to me? Seems Mack is top 10 in all these fields,..including Efficiency.  I'm getting a head ache trying to understand what all these mean since Each stat is If you take this and add that..minus that equals this.    But seems they are saying Mack is the 4th most 'efficient' back in the league.

outsiders.png

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Mack has poor vision and doesn't run through minor contact as effectively as a lead back should. (Seriously, if you combined him with Frank Gore, you'd have Young Frank Gore.) 

Something must be wrong with Wilkins (maybe ball security, or lack of initial burst?), but I think he should get more reps. He might be able to provide that consistent churner we need. Still, he's 12 games into his pro career, so I'm trying to be patient. 

By the way, I'm being nitpicky here. I'm fine with our stable, I think it's good enough to win with. But that doesn't mean it can't be better. Mack as the lead back isn't really maximizing the position.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'd take Demarcus Lawrence in a heart beat.. but guess what? He is never leaving Dallas.

And they were fairly bad Sunday. Furthest thing from legit I have seen out of this Colts team on offense. Legit puts 20 points up and is happy with a two score win over a preseason superbowl favorite. We were shut out... not legit, at all.

I understand, but was that the norm or was that the outlier?  Even a great defense is going to get run over once in a while by a good offense.  This Colts offense just got rolled by a good defense, or at least what has been a good defense.  IMHO that was the outlier, not the norm.  I'm as disappointed by the Colts' offensive performance in Jax as anybody, but I'm not letting that one performance cloud the bigger picture.  It happens.  You forget it and move on.

15 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

I think we need a new LT, Castonzo ain't cutting it, he let the DE Ngakoue get by him and strip sacked Luck.  I think he(Castonzo) gets beat by some of these elite edge pass rushers frequently.

I hope this is sarcasm??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I understand, but was that the norm or was that the outlier?  Even a great defense is going to get run over once in a while by a good offense.  This Colts offense just got rolled by a good defense, or at least what has been a good defense.  IMHO that was the outlier, not the norm.  I'm as disappointed by the Colts' offensive performance in Jax as anybody, but I'm not letting that one performance cloud the bigger picture.  It happens.  You forget it and move on.

In terms of getting shutout, it was the outlier for the entire NFL so far this season, as there has only been 3 or 4 shutout games in 2018. 

In terms of our offense not doing enough to win when our defense did more than enough, I can count several this season... and most of them were when we played without Jack Doyle (or when he was fumbling inside the 10 yard line on a game winning drive.) I don't know if that's because Frank has to rely on tight ends more because of a lack of talent at the runningback and receiver, or if Jack really does make all the difference, or a combination of the two, but it has been noticeable this season. 

8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Say what you want, but Cooper has totally transformed the Cowboys offense.

As in a total 180.

A big time WR and Bell added to the Colts next year?

And imo they win the Super Bowl.

What a difference maker Cooper has been for them.  We missed on that one.  I don't know where we could find a big time receiver except in a trade maybe.  But Bell and maybe potential FA  Landon Collins and another good draft should get us there. 

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

What a difference maker Cooper has been for them.  We missed on that one.  I don't know where we could find a big time receiver except in a trade maybe.  But Bell and maybe potential FA  Landon Collins and another good draft should get us there. 

Here is how I look at it.  Yes I think a 1 was probably too much for Cooper.

But...if based on his past history you could draft a WR in the first round who had his past history and his potential?

He was worth it.

Even this year with Cooper?  Colts win the Jaguars game for sure.

That gets them in the playoffs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Here is how I look at it.  Yes I think a 1 was probably too much for Cooper.

But...if based on his past history you could draft a WR in the first round who had his past history and his potential?

He was worth it.

Even this year with Cooper?  Colts win the Jaguars game for sure.

That gets them in the playoffs.

I think differently.  I would have traded a 1 for Cooper.  He's a young proven star receiver. He was a top five pick.  All a 1st rd pick has is potential and the need to prove himself to be an NFL player let alone a star player.   He was young and too good to pass up IMO.  Hopefully we still get to the playoffs.  

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think differently.  I would have traded a 1 for Cooper.  He's a young proven star receiver. He was a top five pick.  All a 1st rd pick has is potential and the need to prove himself to be an NFL player let alone a star player.   He was young and too good to pass up IMO.  Hopefully we still get to the playoffs.  

Cooper 3 more TDs today.

I just have to LOL at everyone who said he wasn't a top flight WR when he was on the trading block with the Raiders.

Just lol.

He is literally BURNING UP THE FIELD.

Get another big time WR....

Get Bell...

Profit.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2018 at 8:28 AM, aaron11 said:

he hasnt proven he can do that while hitting a 1000 yards or so.   hasnt even come close in 2 seasons

ill believe he is durable and consistent enough to get there when it happens.

You've said he is not durable enough and can not break tackles. that he has not "proven" he can.  That Reich won't workhorse him because he is afraid of him getting injured. 

My response was he can do all of this, but has not because Reich calls the plays as he sees them. If he needs to throw because of how the game is going, that's what he does.  8-man boxes will divert him from running because that is what coaches do. make play call's to what the defense is showing.  It has nothing to do with durability.

Reich and Mack i think proved yesterday that this is not the case.  Mack carried it 27 times for 139 and 2 TD's.  5.1 YPC.  As I said, the more you run it, the BETTER he will get. He was still able to run the ball late in the game because they wore down the Cowboys defense. he was steady from start to finish.  AND he was breaking arm tackles the entire game, getting 2-3 extra yards/carry. 2 plays to watch, The one where he put his hand on the back of the blocking o-lineman and followed him up the sideline was actually very Bell-ish.  And that goal-line run from 4 yards out was impressive. Broke 4 arm tackles getting in.  Mack is just fine as our main back to run the ball.  

• Like 3

On 12/9/2018 at 7:56 PM, threeflight said:

Cooper 3 more TDs today.

I just have to LOL at everyone who said he wasn't a top flight WR when he was on the trading block with the Raiders.

Just lol.

He is literally BURNING UP THE FIELD.

Get another big time WR....

Get Bell...

Profit.

4 for 32 and 0 tds against the Colts

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

You've said he is not durable enough and can not break tackles. that he has not "proven" he can.  That Reich won't workhorse him because he is afraid of him getting injured. 

My response was he can do all of this, but has not because Reich calls the plays as he sees them. If he needs to throw because of how the game is going, that's what he does.  8-man boxes will divert him from running because that is what coaches do. make play call's to what the defense is showing.  It has nothing to do with durability.

Reich and Mack i think proved yesterday that this is not the case.  Mack carried it 27 times for 139 and 2 TD's.  5.1 YPC.  As I said, the more you run it, the BETTER he will get. He was still able to run the ball late in the game because they wore down the Cowboys defense. he was steady from start to finish.  AND he was breaking arm tackles the entire game, getting 2-3 extra yards/carry. 2 plays to watch, The one where he put his hand on the back of the blocking o-lineman and followed him up the sideline was actually very Bell-ish.  And that goal-line run from 4 yards out was impressive. Broke 4 arm tackles getting in.  Mack is just fine as our main back to run the ball.  

you wait until after he has a good game to post this?  hes had bad games too 

i think we can do better still

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

you wait until after he has a good game to post this?  hes had bad games too 

i think we can do better still

No, i've been posting this for weeks,...remember? We've been having this discussion for two weeks. And I've said the exact same thing over and over. and this game just proved my point. so i pointed the game out.

1 minute ago, Lawrence Owen said:

No, i've been posting this for weeks,...remember? We've been having this discussion for two weeks. And I've said the exact same thing over and over. and this game just proved my point. so i pointed the game out.

it didnt prove anything.  he had a bad games the previous two weeks, i could say those proved my point then 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it didnt prove anything.  he had a bad games the previous two weeks, i could say those proved my point then 

Zeke and Gurley and Barkley have bad games also. No-one performs week in week out....No-one does.  Fact is Mack is 8th in the NFL in yards per game right now. And 7th in NFL in YPC with at least 150 rushing attempts.  Sure we can upgrade....But the Cost increase to production production increase ratio isn't going to be very good.  Much better to spend that $ on a WR so Luck has another target, and lessens the 8+ man boxes Mack see's carry after carry.

12 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Zeke and Gurley and Barkley have bad games also. No-one performs week in week out....No-one does.  Fact is Mack is 8th in the NFL in yards per game right now. And 7th in NFL in YPC with at least 150 rushing attempts.  Sure we can upgrade....But the Cost increase to production production increase ratio isn't going to be very good.  Much better to spend that $ on a WR so Luck has another target, and lessens the 8+ man boxes Mack see's carry after carry.

bell could be that target, the free agent WR market never has anyone special.  mack is 21st in yards too, i care more about that than ypc

im not even worried about cap space when we have 120 million that has to be spent soon.  there is plenty to bring in bell or anyone else 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

bell could be that target, the free agent WR market never has anyone special 

im not even worried about cap space when we have 120 million that has to be spent soon.  there is plenty to bring in bell or anyone else 

After all the resigning (and holding some back for next year's resigning on 3rd year players) ,there will be enough for maybe 3 big free agent signings.  I just don't know if Ballard will even go big.  I hope he can grab a couple with lower $$ than they want,..but it would be a good buy if he can.  I', in on Bell if he can get him in the 10-12 mil range...but not more than that.

18 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

The colts face a lot of 8 man boxes because they play more 2&3 tight end formations than anyone in the league.....so it's not really a "stacked box" Mack is facing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

After all the resigning (and holding some back for next year's resigning on 3rd year players) ,there will be enough for maybe 3 big free agent signings.  I just don't know if Ballard will even go big.  I hope he can grab a couple with lower $$ than they want,..but it would be a good buy if he can.  I', in on Bell if he can get him in the 10-12 mil range...but not more than that.

10-12 mil?   He turned down more than that from the Steelers.