Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This game shows the obvious needs we need on Offense next year...Ballard needs to act../Bell (merge)

threeflight

2 hours ago, tvturner said:

This shows me you know literally nothing about the situation between Bell and the Steelers

Eye roll.  

Just because I don't feel sympathy for a wannabe rapper who wanted 2 franchise tags of guaranteed money like a pass rusher and no precedent doesn't make me ignorant of the situation. 

He got offered a deal that any RB would dream of having 2 years ago that the Steelers even went up on. But because Mr spoiled boy wants that tag money guaranteed everyone says woe is him.  Please. He's a spoiled brat and a proven distraction.  Whether it's rap, weed or holding out every year when there are offers on the table 8million higher per year than the next RB paid.

Of all teams, when has Pittsburgh ever been one to be on the wrong end of honoring a player money.  This isn't the cheap scape Patriots. There is a reason why people wanna be drafted by Pit because they willingly pay their players and at fair market (usually higher than market) deals. That didn't all of a sudden change overnight. 

Let me ask it this way: how about between Bell or the best FA DE on the market?  Me?  I'm taking the DE.  The offense is fairly legit, especially if you add another good WR and maybe another OL.  But a DE who can make a QB's sphincter clench?  Sign me up.  This defense is young, fast, and starting to come together.  Another draft along with a vet DE with elite sack presence and I think they would take that next step.  That would certainly make the offense's job a LOT easier and they wouldn't need to score 28 ppg to win.  It's also proven more effective come playoff time!

Possibilities under age 30:

Demarcus Lawrence, 26

Dee Ford, 27

Jadeveon Clowney, 25

Trey Flowers, 25

Frank Clark, 25

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

Just because I don't feel sympathy for a wannabe rapper

who wanted 2 franchise tags of guaranteed money like a pass rusher and no precedent doesn't make me ignorant of the situation. 

He's a spoiled brat and a proven distraction.  Whether it's rap, weed or holding out every year when there are offers on the table 8million higher per year than the next RB paid.

There is a reason why people wanna be drafted by Pit because they willingly pay their players and at fair market

This is one of the stupidest takes I've ever seen on Bell and flat out shows you hate the dude for more reasons than he held out for more $

His "rap career" means literally nothing to any team

"Spoiled brat" who wants to get paid and was only a "proven distraction" because the media hyped it up so much, he himself said he's not showing up and everyone made a big deal about playing the guessing game of if he'd show

Bell and Gurley are the 2 RBs worth top tier $, so why would I have a problem with an elite RB who is also a very good WR wanting to get paid what he's due

And people want to be drafted by Pitt because they tend to be a winning team year in and year out. Nobody has came out and said "they willingly pay their players, so I really want to get drafted by them"

44 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Let me ask it this way: how about between Bell or the best FA DE on the market?  Me?  I'm taking the DE. 

Can pay both and still have a trillion left in cap

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Let me ask it this way: how about between Bell or the best FA DE on the market?  Me?  I'm taking the DE.  The offense is fairly legit, especially if you add another good WR and maybe another OL.  But a DE who can make a QB's sphincter clench?  Sign me up.  This defense is young, fast, and starting to come together.  Another draft along with a vet DE with elite sack presence and I think they would take that next step.  That would certainly make the offense's job a LOT easier and they wouldn't need to score 28 ppg to win.  It's also proven more effective come playoff time!

Possibilities under age 30:

Demarcus Lawrence, 26

Dee Ford, 27

Jadeveon Clowney, 25

Trey Flowers, 25

Frank Clark, 25

I'd take Demarcus Lawrence in a heart beat.. but guess what? He is never leaving Dallas.

And they were fairly bad Sunday. Furthest thing from legit I have seen out of this Colts team on offense. Legit puts 20 points up and is happy with a two score win over a preseason superbowl favorite. We were shut out... not legit, at all.

• Like 1

I think we have to realize that had Cain played this season, he could have realistically emerged as another legitimate top flight receiver alongside T.Y.  His performance over the summer and the excitement he was generating- I think next year he will back with a vengeance. 

As far as Bell- forget about it. Signing a back with that much mileage to some huge contract goes against every principle that Ballard stands for...

• Like 2

I watched every carry Mack had Sunday again and with the exception of 1 play in the third quarter he was much better than nearly everyone is giving him credit for. Id love someone to post screenshots or video that show he missed openings, made bad cuts, or was too slow to the hole - they're not there. Unless you believe he should be cutting all of these runs back theres nothing more he can do.

• Like 1

I go back and forth on the Bell signing.  Wat Jacksonville showed us is that we have one playmaker; Hilton.  Their D  played a lot of man and put Ramsey on Hitlon and the other receivers could not get separation.   I believe that Ballard tried to get Cooper as rumours suggested.  Probably willing to part with a #2 pick but not a #1.  It is a copy cat league it will b interesting to c how teams play our offence moving  forward.  We have a lot of cap room does Ballard make a play for Bell? Part of me says no based on the way Ballard drafts running backs. That being said sometimes  u  got to bite the bullet and just do it.  U sign Bell and that allows u to fully concentrate on building other areas of your team.  I am not big on Bell as a talent.  However,other football peole who know way more than me think he is exceptional.  He creates a lot of mismatches.  I am not big on the crew of backs we have now going into next year.   I thought Hunt could b an option.  The way it is developing, I would not b surprised to c him suspended for this year and half of next year. I know everyone was saying we need play makers on the D.   Based on their recent performance it was also apparent we  still need skill on the offence . So I know Ballard and Reich came away from the Jags game thinking the same. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

I watched every carry Mack had Sunday again and with the exception of 1 play in the third quarter he was much better than nearly everyone is giving him credit for. Id love someone to post screenshots or video that show he missed openings, made bad cuts, or was too slow to the hole - they're not there. Unless you believe he should be cutting all of these runs back theres nothing more he can do.

mack isnt bad, but hes not a power back at all.  hes a finesse guy, if he gets hit he usually goes down quick. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aaron11 said:

mack isnt bad, but hes not a power back at all.  hes a finesse guy, if he gets hit he usually goes down quick. 

For reference:

Mack is tied for 10th on average yards per rush at 5 (tied with Todd Gurley FYI).

Only 3 of those top 10 RBs face a larger % of 8 man fronts than Mack at 22% (Gurley at 8%).

Mack has broken 11 tackles on 129 carries or 9% of his carries. (Gurley 17%)

Looking at that I can conclude that Mack breaks half as many tackles as Todd Gurley but he averages the same yards per touch even though he faces 8 man fronts 3x as often as Gurley. So tell me again how Mack is so bad?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

For reference:

Mack is tied for 10th on average yards per rush at 5 (tied with Todd Gurley FYI).

Only 3 of those top 10 RBs face a larger % of 8 man fronts than Mack at 22% (Gurley at 8%).

Looking at that I can conclude that Mack breaks half as many tackles as Todd Gurley but he averages the same yards per touch even though he faces 8 man fronts 3x as often as Gurley. So tell me again how Mack is so bad?

first thing i said was hes not bad. i do think he would be better as a back up 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 7:08 AM, Mitch Connors said:

For reference:

Mack is a decent back....I am glad we have him........ Not Bad, Not great..... You arent really putting him in the same class as Gurley? ..........Right?

Mack wont see a Pro Bowl this year, Gurley has already been ALL-Pro once (He will get it again this year) and 2 Pro bowls....  (He will get it again, this year)

Mack hasnt proven, over a season, that he is even in the same class as Gurley.

The RB position is many things

Runner

Blocker

receiver

You can compare a few individual stats for a short time period, but in my book, I am dropping Mack for Gurley 100 times out of 100

Again...... I think we are lucky to have Mack on our team....... But he isnt the game changer that Gurley is

Just using the "stat" game

Marlin Macks Career Rushing yards is at 4.5 YPC

Walter Payton, the greatest RB according to many, has a 4.4 YPC

Emmit Smith who has the MOST yards from any RB in NFL history, averaged 4.2

In fact.......... 8 out of the top 10 ALL TIME rushers have a LOWER YPC than Mack......

You wouldnt really say that Mack is better than them.........  Right?

The numbers are the numbers, but they DONT tell the whole story

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Mack is a decent back....I am glad we have him........ Not Bad, Not great..... You arent really putting him in the same class as Gurley? ..........Right?

Im not suggesting Mack on the Colts is as good as Gurley on the Rams and Id never trade Mack for Gurley - not one time. The difference in production for Gurley on this team wouldnt be worth the cost we'd have to pay for Gurley vs what Mack delivers at his current pay.

If the Colts gave Mack as many touches as Gurley and the results were the same (even though Mack would almost certainly get more yards as more touches almost always equals a higher average) it would  be;

Todd Gurley - 233 carrries, 1175 yards, 15 tds

Marlon Mack - 233 carries, 1161 yards, 8 tds

Its not the stats that seperatre the players its the perception. And im saying Id like someone to show me what Im missing becasue I dont see the issues with Mack I read on here all the time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Im not suggesting Mack on the Colts is as good as Gurley on the Rams and Id never trade Mack for Gurley - not one time. The difference in production for Gurley on this team wouldnt be worth the cost we'd have to pay for Gurley vs what Mack delivers at his current pay.

If the Colts gave Mack as many touches as Gurley and the results were the same (even though Mack would almost certainly get more yards as more touches almost always equals a higher average) it would  be;

Todd Gurley - 233 carrries, 1175 yards, 15 tds

Marlon Mack - 233 carries, 1161 yards, 8 tds

Its not the stats that seperatre the players its the perception. And im saying Id like someone to show me what Im missing becasue I dont see the issues with Mack I read on here all the time.

You would never trade Mack for Gurley because he wouldn't be worth the cost?  Seriously.  I guess you wouldn't trade Sheard for Lawrence because we would have to pay him too.  Of course the problem with Mack is we don't give him enough touches.  Sorry, I just can't stop shaking my head. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Im not suggesting Mack on the Colts is as good as Gurley on the Rams and Id never trade Mack for Gurley - not one time. 

i think thats nuts tbh.  its not like this cap space is our own money as fans.  we actually have to spend it by 2020 anyway.  take a look at our own roster and you will see that we have no one important to pay before then.  

ypc is becoming an overrated stat too.  mack isnt good at carrying a heavy work load week after week and gurley is.  mack also doesnt make many people miss or break many tackles.  hes not good in short yardage either

hell gurley is an mvp candidate, mack wont even sniff a pro bowl 

• Like 1

I

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You would never trade Mack for Gurley because he wouldn't be worth the cost?  Seriously.  I guess you wouldn't trade Sheard for Lawrence because we would have to pay him too.  Of course the problem with Mack is we don't give him enough touches.  Sorry, I just can't stop shaking my head. 

I think that he MEANT to say it the other way

26 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think thats nuts tbh.  its not like this cap space is our own money as fans.  we actually have to spend it by 2020 anyway.  take a look at our own roster and you will see that we have no one important to pay before then.  

ypc is becoming an overrated stat too.  mack isnt good at carrying a heavy work load week after week and gurley is.  mack also doesnt make many people miss or break many tackles.  hes not good in short yardage either

hell gurley is an mvp candidate, mack wont even sniff a pro bowl 

YPC is overrated? Whats the measure to use then?  Opportunity is the most important stat and Gurley has twice as much with the Rams as Mack does with the Colts.

You also think the Colts will get Bell (or Gurley in this hypothetical) and completely change their offensive approach because of it? The Colts rush the ball 24 times per game (#22 in the NFL) while the Rams rush the ball 29 (#7). What measure are you using other than YPC (which is a stat of attempts/yards) to show that would happen?

54 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Here is the annual cap hit per player over the next 3 seasons. Remember that salary you're spending goes beyond the 120 million next year. You believe that massive money outlay is spent the most effective on that position with those players given all the data available? 

image.png.fa456baa89fe77ea1fd1332332ad6708.png

19 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

YPC is overrated? Whats the measure to use then?  Opportunity is the most important stat and Gurley has twice as much with the Rams as Mack does with the Colts.

You also think the Colts will get Bell (or Gurley in this hypothetical) and completely change their offensive approach because of it? The Colts rush the ball 24 times per game (#22 in the NFL) while the Rams rush the ball 29 (#7). What measure are you using other than YPC (which is a stat of attempts/yards) to show that would happen?

the problem with ypc and our backs is that they cant handle a heavy work load.  all of them have a nice ypc carry number, and yet with all of them combined we are 20th in rushing.  

they cant stay on the field after taking a few hits, while guys like gurley, elliot and yes even bell can.  none of our guys are good in short yardage either, thats they keep calling trick plays in those situations.  

mack, wilkns and hines have similar ypc to some of the best backs of all time, but that doesnt mean they are nearly as good

• Like 1

If Ballard sign Bell for that $,..I will no longer like Ballard.  We have a good stable. no reason to pay so much $ on a position where we have 2 players that average more YPC right now than Bell has EVER averaged.  We need a WR.  A good #2 would get the 8 man boxes off our o-lines back. If he say spent that $ on a great #2 wr, or put a 1st Rd pick on a WR,...i'd be ok with that...then put The $ or 1st Rd on an elite pass rusher.  $ for 1,...Pick for the other.

25 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the problem with ypc and our backs is that they cant handle a heavy work load.  all of them have a nice ypc carry number, and yet with all of them combined we are 20th in rushing.  

they cant stay on the field after taking a few hits, while guys like gurley, elliot and yes even bell can.  none of our guys are good in short yardage either, thats they keep calling trick plays in those situations.  

mack, wilkns and hines have similar ypc to some of the best backs of all time, but that doesnt mean they are nearly as good

You are seriously saying our RB's number of carries are based off them?  That's a play call due to how Reich see's the game going, not our RB's durability.

7 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

If Ballard sign Bell for that $,..I will no longer like Ballard.  We have a good stable.

good enough for the colts to be 20th in the league.  its not just about ypc, when they cant do it enough to make teams fear them. bell is a good receiver too

it is about durability, especially with mack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

If the Colts gave Mack as many touches as Gurley 

They couldn't.  He missed 1/4 of the season and is iffy to go much of the time.  They also don't use him as a receiver much.

If you're going to make a comparison, it's better to compare the trio to other team's running attacks - compare team results.  

As a team, the results are fine, but it's not perfect.  For example, we had four fourth and shorts on Sunday and didn't feel confident enough to hand it off to a back once.

• Thanks 2

Ave.            Longest run      over 20 yds        over 40 yds      1st down %

2017  L Bell           4.0                  27 yds.             3 carries              0 carries            23.1 %

2018  M Mack       5.0                  49 yds.             5 carries              1 carry               23.9 %

In 2017,  week 10, against the mighty Colt's defense L Bell rushed the ball 26 times for 80 yds. and a 3.1 rushing average.

His runs included : two rushes for negative (9)yds, two rushes for 0 yds, four rushes for 1 yd, two rushes for 2 yds, seven rushes for 3 yds. 

That is 17 attempts against the mighty Colt defense of 2017 where L. Bell had a net total of 20 yards.  (1.2 yds per carry)

In week one of 2017 against the Browns, Bell had 10 rushes that were:

0 yds, 3yds, 0 yds, 5 yds, 2 yds, 1 yd, 5 yds, 1yd, 0 yds, 15 yds.

Marlin Mack is not the only back in the NFL that often times goes nowhere running the ball.

On 12/2/2018 at 4:25 PM, threeflight said:

I really like the job Ballard has done so far but his lack of going after a big name WR last off season or during the season (Gordon, Cooper, Thomas) has really come back to bite them in the butt.  I really believe they have at least 2-3 more wins this season with a quality wr to complement Hilton.

They are  not that far away but....

You absolutely need to sign Bell. He wants to be here  Colts need him.  Say all you want about Mack and co., but Bell is the BEST RB in football.  He had a year off.  He will be hungry.  You sign him NO questions asked.

And you get yourself a high quality WR.  Either draft one, sign one, or trade for one.

Add those two positions with another draft and other FA's?  

Colts could very easily be in the Super Bowl hunt next year.

We need Ed Oliver NT/DT Houston. This will also help the Oline improve (Q.Nelson) with competition in practice.

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

good enough for the colts to be 20th in the league.  its not just about ypc, when they cant do it enough to make teams fear them. bell is a good receiver too

I just don't see it as our RB's fault Indy does not run it 25 -30 times/game.  It's Franks fault.  Even Frank admits to not running enough, that he liked the pass more during stretches.  We have a stable of good RB's just to be able to flip them in and out and keep them fresh for heavy run days...But Frank just doesn't do it.  When you have a 5.0, 4.1,  and a 5.6 YPC runner on your team,..and you're 20th in total rush yards..that is playcalling, not the RB's fault in any way.

Also, Gurley see's 8 man boxes less than 10% of the time. another reason why he get's to carry it more.  When a coach and QB see's a 6-7 man box..they run it.  8+ man boxes the go to the pass.  That's football.  that <10% of 8 man boxes is due to the Rams having 2 good WR's.  If Indy had 2 good WR's...Then our RB's wouldn't see 8+ man boxes 25% of the time anymore. and would then run it more often. (And at an even higher YPC because of less then 8 men in the box) A stud WR #2 is way more important than getting Bell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I just don't see it as our RB's fault Indy does not run it 25 -30 times/game.  It's Franks fault.  Even Frank admits to not running enough, that he liked the pass more during stretches.  We have a stable of good RB's just to be able to flip them in and out and keep them fresh for heavy run days...But Frank just doesn't do it.  When you have a 5.0, 4.1,  and a 5.6 YPC runner on your team,..and you're 20th in total rush yards..that is playcalling, not the RB's fault in any way.

Also, Gurley see's 8 man boxes less than 10% of the time. another reason why he get's to carry it more.  When a coach and QB see's a 6-7 man box..they run it.  8+ man boxes the go to the pass.  That's football.  that <10% of 8 man boxes is due to the Rams having 2 good WR's.  If Indy had 2 good WR's...Then our RB's wouldn't see 8+ man boxes 25% of the time anymore. and would then run it more often. (And at an even higher YPC because of less then 8 men in the box) A stud WR #2 is way more important than getting Bell.

mack is always on the injury report.  hines isnt an every down back and his ypc isnt even good

its not play calling, they cant handle it

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

mack is always on the injury report.  hines isnt an every down back and his ypc isnt even good

Im genuinely not trying to come at you so I hope you don’t take it that way but we’re so far apart on this one.

mack has had 4 games where’s he’s been given 15 carries or more:

15 carries / 85 yards / 5.7 avg

16 carries / 61 yards / 3.8 avg

25 carries / 132 yards / 5.3 avg

19 carries / 126 yards / 6.6 avg

Give him the ball and he produces on average per carry, he produces on volume carries and he produces on tape. 

Injuries are are a concern I’ll give you that.

9 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Ballard isn't signing a 15 mill a year running back.   Especially one that has had suspension issues in the past

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

You're right,...Hines YPC is 4.1.  Which is better than Bell had last year.  Bell's YPC isn't that good last year either.  Wilkins also has a 5.6 YPC this year.  Mack was not hurt Vrs Jags...Reich just went to pass because of the 8+ man boxes. He said so himself. He could have ran it...but didn't. Had nothing to do with Mack's health. I keep saying this, and you keep bringing up the same thing.  Fact is, we have had the opportunity to run, and we don't because teams KNOW we don't have good receivers so they stack the box on the run.  Barry Sanders wouldn't have 20 carries / game against as many 8 man boxes we see.  Coaches aren't generally stupid. 

Fact is Le'V Bell had less 8 man boxes last year, and averaged a yard less per carry last year than the Colts do now.  BECAUSE they had 2 good recievers, He has less 8 man boxes.  

It is a bigger bet that adding a 2nd good wide receiver would lessen 8 man boxes so coaches would run more, than adding a high priced RB and thinking they will run it more without changing anything else.

• Like 1

you guys are forgetting that bell is a good receiver, he might even be the best one available

if mack could keep the same ypc and hit 1000 yards or so, then i will stop with this.  he hasnt come close to that yet though, and its why im not using ypc as the end all be all.

wilkins ypc is really good, but does anyone actually think hes one of the best backs to ever play?

7 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Dear God...

Nobody is forgetting that.  Do you honestly believe that anyone with an ounce of football IQ is not aware of this?

no one else has mentioned it, yet they are saying we need a receiver

he plays in the slot sometimes and effectively is a receiver on those downs

this cap space has to be spent by 2020 anyway, LB will probably be the best back and receiver on the market.  it makes sense 

no one knows how much he will get, he cant really hold out again.  if the jets drive up the price super high then i would back down, but theres no guarantee at all they will do that

40 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Can you possibly understand that having a good WR compliment to TY is much different than having a good receiving threat in a RB.  Those are completely different scenarios.

In other words, if Ballard does decide to sign Bell (he won't) they will still be in the market for another receiver.  He won't say - we got Bell so my receiver work here is done.

27 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

The only thing worse than a slow learner,

is a NO learner.

So you are 11 years old? I guess that might help exlpain it.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Can you possibly understand that having a good WR compliment to TY is much different than having a good receiving threat in a RB.  Those are completely different scenarios.

In other words, if Ballard does decide to sign Bell (he won't) they will still be in the market for another receiver.  He won't say - we got Bell so my receiver work here is done.

No doubt we definitely need another WR or two even.  But if we have Bell as well,  Now we have some real weaponry to deal with.