Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard's pressure to coverage ratio

CR91

IndyStar charted every snap Leonard has taken against the pass this season. Of the 380 dropbacks he’s faced, Leonard has rushed the quarterback just 33 times; he has dropped into coverage 345 times, and on two goal-line plays Leonard appeared to be in run-stuffing mode, only to see the offense use play-action to throw. In two games this season, against Cincinnati and Buffalo, Leonard did not rush the passer once.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

IndyStar charted every snap Leonard has taken against the pass this season. Of the 380 dropbacks he’s faced, Leonard has rushed the quarterback just 33 times; he has dropped into coverage 345 times, and on two goal-line plays Leonard appeared to be in run-stuffing mode, only to see the offense use play-action to throw. In two games this season, against Cincinnati and Buffalo, Leonard did not rush the passer once.

Leonard needs to blitz more. 6 sacks in 33 tries is pretty solid. Eberflus could utilize Leonard a lot better IMO (despite the tackles), which is amazing to say.

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Leonard needs to blitz more. 6 sacks in 33 tries is pretty solid

Still has an outside shot at double-digits.  Regardless, 8-9 sacks from his position would be amazing.  

He showed some damn good pass rushing moves last week - got the RB on roller skates and threw him out of the way.  Looked like a DE.

• Like 3

If Darius blitzed more guess what that does? It leaves the middle of the field open. I’m okay with the occasional blitz. If anything I’ll take a coverage sack from our front four any-day. The coaches know what they’re doing. We need to get home with the guys up front. Sprinkle in a blitz here and there from Leonard like they’ve been doing. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, a06cc said:

If Darius blitzed more guess what that does? It leaves the middle of the field open. I’m okay with the occasional blitz. If anything I’ll take a coverage sack from our front four any-day. The coaches know what they’re doing. We need to get home with the guys up front. Sprinkle in a blitz here and there from Leonard like they’ve been doing. 

You can easily mask that with a box safety like geathers or having the mike drop into the cover 2 middle coverage

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a06cc said:

I listened to a fan (Btc).... complain for us to blitz over and over and over a few games back and when Leonard finally blitzed the guy running through his zone was wide open for an EASY 17 yard gain. He has had several Unblocked sacks so far and that is fine. Surely a little harder to get those after a line has played together for half a season.

6 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Ya I say blitz him more. He hasn’t been great in coverage so might as well

Err... While he may not be a corner he's pretty good in coverage...

There's a reason shallow crosses and the middle of the field hasn't been a big issue against us.  We've been beaten outside the hashs more often than not...

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

Err... While he may not be a corner he's pretty good in coverage...

There's a reason shallow crosses and the middle of the field hasn't been a big issue against us.  We've been beaten outside the hashs more often than not...

I remember reading that Leonard had given up more passing yards in his zone than any other player in the NFL. That was back before the BYE week if I remember correctly

So only 3 times per game? That sounds low. I wonder what constitutes a blitz. Do delayed blitzes count?

Maybe my eyes have deceived me. I guess will have to take their word for it. 

I think Leonard blitzing is a nice trick. But I really don’t want them to have to rely on that to get pressure.

Because while he has had some sacks, the vast majority of time he is blocked and taken out of the play. And considering he is the best D player and tackler, that is not good. Not to mention it leaves them vulnerable in the middle of the field and forces Walker into coverage.

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I wonder what constitutes a blitz. Do delayed blitzes count?

good question, its when you send 5 or more after the qb and delayed still counts.  sometimes they might have no one to cover and end up going after the qb anyway, i dont think that would count if it isnt the play call.  i think some of leonards sacks have come like that

Part of why he's such an effective blitzer is probably because he doesn't do it very often. Blitzing him more often may get him more sacks, just because of more opportunities, but his effectiveness and efficiency would be way worse.

Not sure I understand the concerns of blitzing him and possibly getting burned in coverage.  Every time you bring pressure you are gambling somewhere, and in 2018 we've done it less, gambled less than any team in the league.  Should we never blitz?  To my eyes, this defense has been much more effective when they are aggressive.

36 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

good question, its when you send 5 or more after the qb and delayed still counts.  sometimes they might have no one to cover and end up going after the qb anyway, i dont think that would count if it isnt the play call.  i think some of leonards sacks have come like that

That makes sense. It just seems like I have seen Leonard go upfield more than 33 times on passing downs. The guy plays every snap. Just seemed like a low number if it was including every time he has gone after the QB in a passing situation.

Bottom line the Colts front four don't get the consistent pressure they need to.  That's why it seems like we're playing Tom Brady almost every week.  Eberflaus needs to find ways to get more pressure.  If that means blitzing, then blitz.  I really don't care whether it's Leonard or not, though I do feel he's the best one at it.