Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Broadcasting Rankings

RollerColt

24 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

A few weeks ago we had a discussion from Supes about the Monday Night Football crew, and SI just posted a rankings page of where they fall compared to others. Thought it was interesting.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/11/29/nfl-broadcast-team-power-rankings-2018-joe-buck-troy-aikman

Joe Buck and Aikman are #1?? I am not a fan of either.

My favorite is probably Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis. I like Al Michaels and Collinsworth too.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Collingsworth is so annoying it's not even funny dude drives me nuts. Him during a Patriots game is prolly the worst thing on earth to listen to he NEVER gets off of bradys jock its embarrassing.

Can’t blame you there. Personally I like Al Michaels. I wonder how it would be with him and Romo together.  

• Like 2

I am a huge Jim Nantz fan, maybe it is beacause he has done alot of big Colts games in the past when Peyton played? He also praised Peyton alot. I just love his low key voice as well. I actually like Tony Romo now, at first I thought he was a motor mouth but he's toned that down and he's real knowledgeable about the game. I like him much better than bland Simms. Give me Nantz and Romo all day doing an AFC Title Game.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am a huge Jim Nantz fan, maybe it is beacause he has done alot of big Colts games in the past when Peyton played? He also praised Peyton alot. I just love his low key voice as well. I actually like Tony Romo now, at first I thought he was a motor mouth but he's toned that down and he's real knowledgeable about the game. I like him much better than bland Simms.

I forgot Jim Nantz. I like him too. I too like that "low key voice", similar to that of Kevin Burkhardt. I actually like Nantz and Romo more than the Sunday night guys. 

I think many fans do not like guys like Buck, Collinsworth, and Aikman because they seem to never stop talking about (praising/drooling over) Brady and Rodgers.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Joe Buck and Aikman are #1?? I am not a fan of either.

I don't mind Aikman, but Buck should stick to baseball.  Or golf.  He's boring.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am a huge Jim Nantz fan,

Me too, but I can't watch a game with my uncle without him reminding everyone that Jim Nantz had the 2nd most expensive divorce behind Michael Jordan...  :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I forgot Jim Nantz. I like him too. I too like that "low key voice", similar to that of Kevin Burkhardt. I actually like Nantz and Romo more than the Sunday night guys. 

I think many fans do not like guys like Buck, Collinsworth, and Aikman because they seem to never stop talking about (praising/drooling over) Brady and Rodgers.

I like Buck when he does Baseball but Football I do not. Buck was made for Baseball. I like Troy.

22 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Also not insightful. As you know from MLB thread I really do not like Buck he is incompetent and a liar that should have been fired in 2011. Him, Collinsworth, and Aikman are bad at the job and bring nothing positive

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Also not insightful. As you know from MLB thread I really do not like Buck he is incompetent and a liar that should have been fired in 2011. Him, Collinsworth, and Aikman are bad at the job and bring nothing positive

Why should Buck have been fired? What did he lie about? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Why should Buck have been fired? What did he lie about? 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thanks for asking because I looked it up and found nothing :funny:

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

WTH?

I'm assuming your WTH is what I'm talking about with lie. Here's an article https://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/10/06/joe-buck-fox-book-hair-plugs-surgery-voice

His employer would've had right to terminate 

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I'm assuming your WTH is what I'm talking about with lie. Here's an article https://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/10/06/joe-buck-fox-book-hair-plugs-surgery-voice

His employer would've had right to terminate 

That is all he lied about? He is not a bad person because of this and did not deserve to be fired over that - so I am glad he wasn't, JMO. Not liking the guy is one thing or not liking his announcing but come on man :lol:. I thought he was involved in some kind of scandal or committed a crime after reading your initial Post lmao 

I can handle Buck most of the time (although he's really full of himself), and Aikmen's analysis is fine, but he really needs to learn the proper use of the word "awfully!"  He uses it way too much and always in the wrong way.  Troy, it's easier to say "very" so try it sometime.

I also like Nantz and Romo.  Romo has surprised me, honestly.  Very good insight and doesn't talk too much.

I spent a few years doing radio color commentary, then play-by-play and I know it's a different animal compared to TV.  The TV guys actually have a harder job, because the viewers can see what's going on, so they are there to enhance the experience and add to it.  For radio, the announcers are the eyes of the listener so they can be much more descriptive and focus more on the action and not so much on the "extras" that TV announcers need to bring to the table.

For TV, I'm a firm believer in a two person team...not need for a third person in the booth.  Arians is terrible and needs to get back into coaching.  He's smart, but not a communicator for broadcast TV.

I see the MNF crew was pretty far down the list, and that's where they belong.

Kevin Harlon's voice is like a mix a fergie and Jesus.

I think I like Jim Nantz the best, and probably for the same reason as @2006Coltsbestever said, because of all the "game of the weeks" he used to call for the Colts. So i didn't even mind Simms that much.

In all honesty, I really cant complain who the broadcast team is all long as there is broadcasting. It just makes the game fuller.. for me.. which is, the number 1 priority right? lol

p.s. Joe Buck is good with NFL

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

One thing that would improve Joe Buck's performance immensely would be some duct tape over his mouth. 

How?  It would sound about the same...  haha

Seriously, does anyone remember his call of the helmet-catch?

I don't know if anyone could have sounded more bored while witnessing and calling that play...  :grumpy2:

39 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

How?  It would sound about the same...  haha

Seriously, does anyone remember his call of the helmet-catch?

I don't know if anyone could have sounded more bored while witnessing and calling that play...  :grumpy2:

I didn't pay attention at the time, because I was celebrating that catch!  But, you're right, he sounded like that was just another ordinary play.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is all he lied about? He is not a bad person because of this and did not deserve to be fired over that - so I am glad he wasn't, JMO. Not liking the guy is one thing or not liking his announcing but come on man :lol:. I thought he was involved in some kind of scandal or committed a crime after reading your initial Post lmao 

Actually he can be fired for that. The difference between lying to public and boss. He lied to his brass instead of admitting what caused it.