Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 2017 Draft.

Dark Superman

Last night I was thinking about the 2017 Draft and how Chris Ballard went on to pick Malik Hooker Which I'm thrilled about because I love Malik and never thought he would fall to us. But looking back I'm kinda shocked Chris Ballard didn't draft TJ Watt, who to me seems like the perfect player for Chris Ballard to pick. The kid from what I can tell has everything Ballard is looking for and he would've filled a huge hole as a pass rusher that we desperately needed. I would've loved to see our defense this year with Watt and Leonard playing together. I know we were running a different scheme back then so maybe that's why, but I know CB was well aware of the scheme he was moving forward with well before the 2017 Draft. 

Can anyone shed some light on this question?

36 minutes ago, Savage56 said:

Last night I was thinking about the 2017 Draft and how Chris Ballard went on to pick Malik Hooker Which I'm thrilled about because I love Malik and never thought he would fall to us. But looking back I'm kinda shocked Chris Ballard didn't draft TJ Watt, who to me seems like the perfect player for Chris Ballard to pick. The kid from what I can tell has everything Ballard is looking for and he would've filled a huge hole as a pass rusher that we desperately needed. I would've loved to see our defense this year with Watt and Leonard playing together. I know we were running a different scheme back then so maybe that's why, but I know CB was well aware of the scheme he was moving forward with well before the 2017 Draft. 

TJ Watt projected very well to the scheme we were playing, but not as well for the scheme we are playing now....he's an ideal 3-4 OLB.  He was also a fringe first rounder that might be a day 2 pick just as easily.  Some of that may have been past injury history if I remember right.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think Hooker is still not fully recovered or feeling comfortable after his ACL injury. He’s not playing with the same speed. I’m hoping he he’s back to that next year. 

Yeah, Stephen Holder reported he doesn't think Hooker is healthy right now.

2 hours ago, ztboiler said:

TJ Watt projected very well to the scheme we were playing, but not as well for the scheme we are playing now....he's an ideal 3-4 OLB.  He was also a fringe first rounder that might be a day 2 pick just as easily.  Some of that may have been past injury history if I remember right.  

True. I believe TJ Watt could play DE for us and still be very dominant.

3 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I mean in hindsight, Darious Leonard is a top 5 pick in last years draft.

Hindsight is always 20/20

Can't dwell on the past, best to just look forward.

Inevitably, there will be a thread about the 2018 draft class not being good because Turay, Lewis, Hines, Wilkins, Fountain, Cain, Adams, and Franklin are all basically rotational/special teams players... especially if any of them end up on other teams or out of the league.

"Most of our picks aren't even starters.  2018 was a bust!"  haha

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Savage56 said:

Last night I was thinking about the 2017 Draft and how Chris Ballard went on to pick Malik Hooker Which I'm thrilled about because I love Malik and never thought he would fall to us. But looking back I'm kinda shocked Chris Ballard didn't draft TJ Watt, who to me seems like the perfect player for Chris Ballard to pick. The kid from what I can tell has everything Ballard is looking for and he would've filled a huge hole as a pass rusher that we desperately needed. I would've loved to see our defense this year with Watt and Leonard playing together. I

we were running a different scheme back then so maybe that's why, but I know CB was well aware of the scheme he was moving forward with well before the 2017 Draft. 

So you are shocked that Watt wasn't Ballard's highest rated player on his draft board instead of Hooker? 

Be aware Watt is playing beside one of the very best D-lineman their is. This is helping his stats for sure. Our 2018 2nd rd picks will be very effective When we add our high quality DT.

• Like 1