Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A question about CB play.

Trace Pyott

I have heard many people on here saying we need to draft better zone cb because our current guys were better in pagano’S man scheme and it made me wonder what is the difference between the two?  Like what are the traits of a good zone corner and vice versa?  I was prob totally wrong but always under the impression that under the zone defense we run that CB are less important for coverage and need to tackle better. Is that basically true?  I always though People always seemed to act like CB wasn’t as important in this scheme as it was in a man scheme and that was one of the benefits of this scheme was it was cheaper on the salary cap over all. I guess what I’m trying to say if that was the case and it’s harder to be s really good man corner than it is to be a good zone corner than why can’t our current guys who came from a man scheme be good zone corners?   I hope this question makes sense. I’m in a hurry so I’m kind of blurting this all out. Thanks for the info guys. 

Zone corners are typically better at coming up and making tackles near the LOS.  Keep everything in front of you, read-and-react to the play, keep an eye on the QB and where the ball goes, find ball get ball.

If you've seen any Notre Dame games this year, their CB Julian Love is really good at tackling ball carriers.

15 minutes ago, cbear said:

I cn see where not all zone corners would be able to play man.  Man coverage is way more difficult IMO.   But honestly, I don't know why a man corner can't play zone.  

Some can stick to their man like glue, but have trouble keeping one eye on the receiver in front of them and one eye on the backfield to see where the ball goes (situational awareness).

Some just aren't good tacklers.

Some (like Primetime) make "business decisions" when it comes to tackling.

• Like 1