Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's deep ball, what say you

GusFring

Two underthrows, IMO. Doesn't mean he can't get the ball down the field, and in fact he has already this season. He just missed those two throws. And the one to Ebron was probably more due to the fact that the corner ranged back over to the middle of the field and Luck didn't see him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Two underthrows, IMO. Doesn't mean he can't get the ball down the field, and in fact he has already this season. He just missed those two throws. And the one to Ebron was probably more due to the fact that the corner ranged back over to the middle of the field and Luck didn't see him. 

Yep the first INT was just one of those bonehead throws. The second would have hit Ebron in stride for a TD, Howard just broke off his coverage and made a tremendous play to close. Howard has legit speed, he even caught TY from, behind on that cross over the middle.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Even the 1 yo TY last wk was kinda underthrown. Do you still worry if Luck can consistently stretch the field?

Was just about to say something to the tune of @Superman. Also, my take away from today is that the deep ball isn’t the prob. Luck is fine in that sense. Sometimes he acts like he didn’t take a year off football. For me, we are getting our money’s worth outta Reich and Luck. 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

That long pass to TY (last week) pretty much showed me he is fine as far as the long ball :thmup:

The interception on the Ebron throw was just a GREAT play from Howard.  Actually both were but the 2nd one was just OUTSTANDING. That was pure instincts (Ty Law on Peyton playmaking).  The problem lied in the play design (backside route).  By running a shallow cross, we allowed Howard to pass off the receiver and immediately do a full sprint to his deep 3rd (and an IMMEDIATE full sprint was needed because the throw was perfect).  

If we had our receiver run a 10 yard comeback or dig to occupy Howard just for a second that’s a TD.  Just gotta give credit where it’s due.  It was nice seeing Luck giving Howard his due after we won the game.  That’s part of what makes Luck so special & mark my words free agents will want to come play with him because he’s a heckuva player and leader who owns his mistakes & gives credit to those whom deserve it.  And Luck & Frank continue to marvel me every week.  Just a pleasure to watch them operate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GusFring said:

Even the 1 yo TY last wk was kinda underthrown. Do you still worry if Luck can consistently stretch the field?

Luck’s arm — as good as it is right now — will be better, perhaps much better in 2019.   And it may be even stronger in 2020.

But even if Andrew’s arm never gets stronger,  it’s strong enough right now so the Colts can win with his current skill set.

The play he made today — ducking under two rushers, keeping his head up,  and still finding Rogers way down field on the last drive — is a multi-million dollar play.   There aren’t many NFL quarterbacks who can make that play.  You can count them on one, maybe two hands.    That’s it.

Better days ahead for Andrew and the Colts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Notice big Q still blocking on that throw? He truly is a wall.

I was just about to say something about that when I saw you already did. It gave me literal chills to see him do that, and as a rookie too. He might just already be the best interior lineman in the NFL!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Luck’s arm — as good as it is right now — will be better, perhaps much better in 2019.   And it may be even stronger in 2020.

But even if Andrew’s arm never gets stronger,  it’s strong enough right now so the Colts can win with his current skill set.

The play he made today — ducking under two rushers, keeping his head up,  and still finding Rogers way down field on the last drive — is a multi-million dollar play.   There aren’t many NFL quarterbacks who can make that play.  You can count them on one, maybe two hands.    That’s it.

Better days ahead for Andrew and the Colts!

I agree with this post. That play NCF refers to was phenomenal. All that said, Luck is soft balling some

of his throws. I don’t think it’s a lack of arm strength; I think it’s a lack of confidence here and there. There are still times when he will try to finesse the throw vs. throwing it in there with serious pace. I figure it will get better with time. Luck is playing great; the fact that he can be even better is reason to rejoice for all Colts fans. Let’s enjoy this ride. Admit it: nobody expected Luck to be this good again so quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I’d argue that the CB did well to get himself into a position to make a play on the ball but yes without being slightly underthrown that’s not getting picked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You're a troll dude.  You haven't posted since before the titans game.    

You were 1 of the main people calling everyone a troll that was calling for Pagano to be fired. You shouldn't even be allowed to post. Pointing out 2 ints that were on back2back throws. IMO, only Luck does that. No other top qb is throwing 2ints in that scenario. The 2nd 1 was probably just bad Luck, but the 1st was definitely an underthrow.

He's been in a dome for the most part of this winning streak. Or in perfect weather. I'm interested in seeing how his arm looks in inclement weather. 

And that 3rd down throw was great, but LOL at only 3qbs making it. Wilson and Ben should definitely be added to the list.