Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Demarcus Lawrence

4 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

with news breaking of cowboys looking to extend Prescott and cooper .Will that leave no money for Lawrence ?Can ge then be our top free agent target ?

They have plenty of money with Cap space & restructure flexibility.

They can tag him again at about $21.5, he says he won't play under another tag.

It would be great to add him but this $20M + stuff is a head shaker.
 I think CB can add a DT & pass rusher within our 1st 3 picks that he will be satisfied with.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

They're all "interesting" on this forum!  haha

"We should have signed player X in FA"

"We should have drafted player X instead of player Y"

"#FireX"

There's no shortage of "interesting" during the off-season...

Yeah. Now magnify that by the fact we literally have the money to outbid anyone we want too, fans will go even more nuts than ever before

14 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When is the last time u saw  elite pass rushers in their prime hit free agency? Answer.........never.

Mack was traded because they didn't want to or were not able to pay him.   It came down to money for Oakland.  Not the same as hitting FA because they were able to trade him.  No one saw the Mack trade coming.  Maybe something similar happens with Dallas and Lawrence.  It looks like they have Cooper, Prescot, and Elliot to think about and no 1st. rd. pick.  I really can't see him  hitting FA but a trade can't be ruled out.  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 6:58 AM, coltfaninnewyork said:

with news breaking of cowboys looking to extend Prescott and cooper .Will that leave no money for Lawrence ?Can ge then be our top free agent target ?

Meh. Amari Cooper is optioned for $14m in 2019, I bet any new deal for him will reduce his cap hit. And if they're looking to extend Dak right now, I get the feeling it will look like Bortles' extension, with a moderate QB cap hit around $18m for a couple years. They could also wait until after 2019 to extend Dak, preparing to tag him if necessary; I think I would.

The Cowboys will be around $47m under the cap, per Spotrac. I think they'll save around $15m by releasing guys like Hurns and Lee, so they'll be around $60m under the cap. They have a couple other free agents they'll want to keep, but they can handle all their most important business -- including Lawrence -- and still be okay cap-wise.

23 hours ago, rock8591 said:

I'd prefer Clowney instead. Take an impact player off a division rival, add to ours. Basically be like adding 2 Demarcus Lawrences without twice the cost.

Clowney isn't going anywhere, either.

I have an eye on Trey Flowers, though.

• Like 5

If DeMarcus Lawrence reaches FA by some miracle, I'd happily go 5 years $100 million on him with a frontloaded contract. Great pass rushers never hit FA, Mack cost almost two 1st rounders. If we can get a top one in his prime for just cash, you do it and work with it. We will be ready to compete next year. We have tons of cap to spend, Lawrence is a guy who would be worth that for nothing but cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If DeMarcus Lawrence reaches FA by some miracle, I'd happily go 5 years $100 million on him with a frontloaded contract. Great pass rushers never hit FA, Mack cost almost two 1st rounders. If we can get a top one in his prime for just cash, you do it and work with it. We will be ready to compete next year. We have tons of cap to spend, Lawrence is a guy who would be worth that for nothing but cash.

KEEP dreaming it isn't going to happen

On 12/7/2018 at 11:40 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Believe me, I will. Something will happen this FA with all the cap. Can't let Irsay pocket it forever.

I think he will be more active, but I dont see him going crazy

I see 2-3 players brought in (Not 5-6)

Keep your stars, then build through the draft  (The best approach)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think he will be more active, but I dont see him going crazy

I see 2-3 players brought in (Not 5-6)

Keep your stars, then build through the draft  (The best approach)

My philosophy is to build through the draft, but we have to many holes not to participate in FA heavily. Although we have an extra high 2nd rounder from the Jets and more than likely a compensatory 4th from Moncrief, that gives us 9 picks, which we'll probably hit on 4 or 5 in some way. We'll definitely need to spend in FA if we are to improve this team enough to make us playoff and SB contenders down the road.

Keep doing some 1 year contracts and try to acquire compensatory picks for them if they perform. We need extra mid-rounders year to year like the Pats, Broncos, Packers and Ravens.

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My philosophy is to build through the draft, but we have to many holes not to participate in FA heavily. Although we have an extra high 2nd rounder from the Jets and more than likely a compensatory 4th from Moncrief, that gives us 9 picks, which we'll probably hit on 4 or 5 in some way. We'll definitely need to spend in FA if we are to improve this team enough to make us playoff and SB contenders down the road.

Keep doing some 1 year contracts and try to acquire compensatory picks for them if they perform. We need extra mid-rounders year to year like the Pats, Broncos, Packers and Ravens.

I think teams lose their identity and what they are trying to accomplish if they bring in too many "big" names

I dont want this Colts team to go heavy into FA.......  To me its an extremely selective process

I want JUST a few needed spots.....

I would LOVE for this team to be a bit aggressive and bring in Collins from NY, or Reid

(Reid will be cheaper, but i dont know if either is a cancer to the locker room)

This defense NEEDs a SS (I dont see a Ward type SS in this draft)

Overall

I think that we are OK at OL (I have questions at RT, but not ready to bring in a FA)

I think that we are OK at LB

I think that we are OK at QB

I think that we are OK at Special teams ... (AV will be going at sometimes though)

I think that we have needs at WR

I think that we have needs at DL

I think that we have needs at RB

I think that we have needs at DB

If I am going into top tier FA, I am looking at SS, RB, and DL

I am believing that the DL FA market is going to be extremely limited

the tag will be used early and often

Going into this years draft

In the first 4 picks I would build and add to the lines first (2 of 4 picks)

Get BPA in WR, DB

get depth rest of way

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think teams lose their identity and what they are trying to accomplish if they bring in too many "big" names

I dont want this Colts team to go heavy into FA.......  To me its an extremely selective process

I would LOVE for this team to be a bit aggressive and bring in Collins from NY, or Reid

(Reid will be cheaper, but i dont know if either is a cancer to the locker room)

Overall

I think that we are OK at OL (I have questions at RT, but not ready to bring in a FA)

I think that we are OK at Special teams ... (AV will be going at sometimes though)

Get BPA in WR, DB..... rinse...... repeat

A personal strategy I use in Madden (yes, I realize it's Madden, but it pertains to real life as well), is to sign FA's in positions where I need more than 1 player at that position to be in good shape. Once all the positions I need need 1 player to be fixed, I then go into the draft and try to fix them through the draft. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If Ballard does this, he has protection in case of what ever happens in the draft doesn't work out, and he can fix our team however he sees fit from whatever positions in whatever order he wants too. Draft BPA at position of need throughout the draft, then fill the loose ends with UDFA's and extra FA's.

I don't think we lose our identity as long as the FA's are scheme fits and the team has chemistry. Most FA's should be one year guys as holdovers until the draft picks start to develop and we eventually re-sign them to long-term deals. The longer term guys should be scheme fits that fill needs, and draft the rest for the long term.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Overall

Get BPA in WR, DB

get depth rest of way

I think that guy from Pittsburgh and Collins would be perfect additions.  Each are young playmakers in their own right and would fill a need on both sides of the ball.  Another strong draft and those two and we are SB contenders for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Why is that?  I'd think that if he hit the market and Eberflus pulled for him, he'd definitely be in consideration.

There is no way Lawrence is leaving Dallas, but he'd be the one player, I'd be all for the Colts giving a mega contract. 

Hoping F. Clark is not franchised, because he'd be a slightly cheaper option for a legit pass rusher.