Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson- "Mike Mitchell saved my season"

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/2072511002

Great article on how Quincy approached Mike when he came in for a little veteran direction. High hopes that we see the growth in these last 6 games that we thought we'd see all year in Wilson. He could be a true game changer for this franchise. 

" The Indianapolis Colts’ second-round pick from 2017 showed up to his first NFL training camp overweight and out of shape, he’d later admit. He loafed on the practice field and found himself in the coaches’ doghouse all season"  This stands out big time to me.

If he's learned from it and can reach his ceiling, that's great. But the reason I say it stands out is that I believe that is the very reason a lot, not all, highly touted prospects fail to materialize in the league. They think they have it made because of where they were drafted. Some later pick up that they needed humbled, others like Trent Richardson, Ryan Leaf etc fail too and flame out.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing.

Just as an aside, Zak Keefer really is a great writer.  He always manages to produce really enjoyable articles that give a solid perspective from within the organisation, without being sensationalist or actively looking for clickbait.

• Like 9
6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Great read!  I can't believe none of the other Vets under Pagano actually sat down with the guy and emphasized film work with him.  He talked like it was a foreign concept or something.  I'm glad Mike took him up under his wings.

there's been reports of a prima donna atmosphere in the locker room within certain position groups under the previous regime so it doesnot surprise me one bit.

• Like 1

This makes sense to me.  I've watched Wilson play every game in college, and just could not understand why he looked so poor in Indy.  He has the physical talent (the size, the speed, the hands) but I guess he didn't have the preparation side covered at all.

If he can keep this up consistently the Colts will have themselves a true outside corner for years to come.

• Like 1

Sounds like the locker room culture was an issue under Pagano and Grigson.  Ballard has emphasized character and culture several times when it pertains to bringing in free agents. Coaches can only coach so much...there is an unspoken standard of accountability always held amongst peers. Mike Adams also did this for Vontae.  

• Like 6
38 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Great article, but what’s concerning is that it seems the coaches aren’t emphasizing film to the younger players. 

I can see how someone could get that impression, but the article states that sometimes Wilson would be watching film with Mitchell until 9:00 at night. Surely this is above and beyond mandatory study with the coaches and rest of the team.

There's a point where a player needs to take it upon himself to do whatever it takes to get better. Whether it's more time in the film room, or the weight room, or an off-season work out program, or whatever it takes.....

• Like 2
2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

maybe career too

While I don't think they are mutually exclusive, this season and the rest of his career are highly correlated. Ballard wouldn't waste any time moving on if he thought it were best for the organization. Quincy's attitude is everything. The ball skills are there. The size and athleticism are apparent. The attitude is everything, and hopefully we are just seeing the start of something great. 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Great article, but what’s concerning is that it seems the coaches aren’t emphasizing film to the younger players. 

They are teaching these guys and coaching them up as hard as anyone. 

The problem here is attitude and a rookie mentality toward film. They might be emphasizing film, but some of these guys haven't figured out how to study on their own yet. Sometimes an experienced player can give the advice a player needs on certain aspects over any coach. Without those veteran leaders in your locker room, a team can only build so much. Reggie Wayne showed Andrew Luck and company how to approach the game the right way and be a professional. Happy to hear that guys like Mike Mitchell are setting the example this young team needs. 

• Like 2

As much as I love to read this about Quincy, I'm equally happy to talk about Mike Mitchell. CB has a vision (we've talked and focused on that from day 1) and guys like Mike are part of that vision. Guys that buy in and fit the mold and type of player CB wants. You can focus on the draft and build it that way, but those young players have to have some leadership like Mike to show how it's done. A tremendous signing that has paid dividends on the field, but that we will never see (or be able to gauge) the true impact that Mike has on this locker room and team. Football player's like him are GOLD.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Sounds like the locker room culture was an issue under Pagano and Grigson.  Ballard has emphasized character and culture several times when it pertains to bringing in free agents. Coaches can only coach so much...there is an unspoken standard of accountability always held amongst peers. Mike Adams also did this for Vontae.  

Well, they wanted to build a monster.

They just didn't notice that Grigson was a monster and that Pagano was soft and not HC  material.

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Thanks for sharing.

Just as an aside, Zak Keefer really is a great writer.  He always manages to produce really enjoyable articles that give a solid perspective from within the organisation, without being sensationalist or actively looking for clickbait.

I'm a fan as well.  Great writer. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't blame the coaches or anyone else not named Wilson.  He just wasn't ready to find that true source of power, humility which leads to wisdom.  Now that it appears he's gained some of that, the doors are starting to open.  It takes longer with some guys.  Good for him.  Hope it takes. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Hark said:

Thanks for sharing. Says a lot about the character of Mike Mitchell. A great pick up by Ballard, bringing some veteran leadership to group that sounds like they needed it.

That is also the reason I love having some vets on the roster and not just broad brush anyone over 30 because of age. Players spend more time around players than they do around coaches, that is a fact, and that is why leadership becomes very important. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Mike Adams was the first guy I thought of when I read this.

Reggie for Garcon and Collie in 2009 when Gonzo went down, Reggie for T.Y. during the early years, mentorship matters a LOT in the NFL for younger players. I bet that if we had kept Bethea, it would have helped the secondary long term as much as short term too. That is why I am glad they kept Mathis around as a pass rush consultant.

• Like 2

Good to hear that he is on the right path and putting in the work now. Your talent can get you to the NFL. But it takes way more than that to become good to great in the NFL. It's the extra things, the little things. Awesome to hear Mitchell step up to the play and display some vet leadership. Our team is so young it's good to see guys step up and help the youngsters out

• Like 1
9 hours ago, csmopar said:

" The Indianapolis Colts’ second-round pick from 2017 showed up to his first NFL training camp overweight and out of shape, he’d later admit. He loafed on the practice field and found himself in the coaches’ doghouse all season"  This stands out big time to me.

If he's learned from it and can reach his ceiling, that's great. But the reason I say it stands out is that I believe that is the very reason a lot, not all, highly touted prospects fail to materialize in the league. They think they have it made because of where they were drafted. Some later pick up that they needed humbled, others like Trent Richardson, Ryan Leaf etc fail too and flame out.

I agree with you about these kids coming in too often and relax thinking I’ve made it and think based on their playing days of being better than most of the others all they have to do is coast now and just keep on doing and spend that cash. 

Most of of these guys coming out are kids who grew up with very little and mentors were kinda spotty at best. They go off to college and get courted and told how special they are and patted on the back etc... and they play hard for coaches but they have this natural talent that makes their play above others. Now they get to the work environment where you are required to do a job full time and your pay on the back is replaced with a paycheck that can become taken away if you don’t produce. 

These young kids come in so mentally strained but they don’t even realize it, especially these high picks. So much pressure thrust upon them and some really take to it and some just fall flat, depends on their mental make up and their long term support system of the past. They are still just kids mostly, just starting out as young men in an adult world. They are asked to give up a lot of normal life activities that regular everyday people gets to do because they have to practice, work out, study tape, eat right etc...  I can make the comparison of having a college football player coming into the league being a success as to the young business grad coming into the business world and being handed the reigns of Amazon and telling them to run it and by the way, all of these shareholders are expecting you to grow their profits or your out. A few grads may be capable of doing it out of all the business schools but so many of the best minds coming out would fail at that task because they aren’t mentally capable because of their youth and experience, they too are just coming into a adult world from their childhood. 

I hope Wilson has finally got that adulthood light switch turned on and that he has finally figured out, adulthood is here and if I want to succeed, I have to fully apply myself to my craft. It’s going to take personal sacrifice and many hours spent to improving every week because there is always going to be someone willing to spend more time trying to take your job because they get it, and they won’t be as physically gifted as some of those who just lost their job to them, but they will have out worked them all n every other aspect of the game, the grown up part of life, work. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, krunk said:

Great read!  I can't believe none of the other Vets under Pagano actually sat down with the guy and emphasized film work with him.  He talked like it was a foreign concept or something.  I'm glad Mike took him up under his wings.

It’s possible he didn’t want to listen because he felt he already knew all there was to know of the game because after all, he was successful before he got there and was just dissed that he wasn’t a first round pick anyways. I wondered the same thing though, how did the cornerback wisperer not fix him with study habits but I feel it’s the players attitude of not applying oneself  over being taught. You have to want to absorb knowledge, people can’t force it into your body. 

5 hours ago, cbear said:

I wouldn't blame the coaches or anyone else not named Wilson.  He just wasn't ready to find that true source of power, humility which leads to wisdom.  Now that it appears he's gained some of that, the doors are starting to open.  It takes longer with some guys.  Good for him.  Hope it takes. 

Love this post man. He needed some humility to see he is but one part (and at his best, a critical part) of a TEAM that includes players, coaches, GM and owner.

It’s a paradox: individuals are valued and honored but the whole is ALWAYS greater than the sum of it’s parts. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, krunk said:

Gotta be kidding. Anyone that knows ____ about fb know it is required at this level.
He just had no idea how to do it he is saying. Sounds like nonsense to me.
 It implies that he wasn't given the down and distance or situational film to study before they were to practice it. Yip, Pagano had some OTHER way to teach his secondary. Again, nonsense.

I see a guy still begging for help because he can't get it on his own. That is fine.
 He definitely OWES this guy.