Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 Wayne and Mathis

Shepman

Don't get me started...

Our biggest need on offense is a consistent possession receiver. Adding Wayne in 2012 form solves that, and would have helped our offense tremendously early in the season when no one could get open or catch the ball. 

Our biggest need on defense is consistent pass rush (tied with consistent tackling, IMO). Mathis in 2012 didn't have a lot of sacks, but he was splitting time between Sam and Rush while learning a new position. Put him back at traditional DE in this defense, and he's probably a game changer for us.

Conservatively, we might be 7-3 with those two guys on the team. We still had some OL issues early in the year, but we could have won at least two of these four: Bengals, Eagles, Texans, Jets.

Getting them to stay in 2012 was instrumental in the Colts being able to hit the ground running. Whether it was Grigson or Pagano, those two retentions were some of their best work, easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Don't get me started...

Our biggest need on offense is a consistent possession receiver. Adding Wayne in 2012 form solves that, and would have helped our offense tremendously early in the season when no one could get open or catch the ball. 

Our biggest need on defense is consistent pass rush (tied with consistent tackling, IMO). Mathis in 2012 didn't have a lot of sacks, but he was splitting time between Sam and Rush while learning a new position. Put him back at traditional DE in this defense, and he's probably a game changer for us.

Conservatively, we might be 7-3 with those two guys on the team. We still had some OL issues early in the year, but we could have won at least two of these four: Bengals, Eagles, Texans, Jets.

Getting them to stay in 2012 was instrumental in the Colts being able to hit the ground running. Whether it was Grigson or Pagano, those two retentions were some of their best work, easily.

Let's discuss further as I agree 100% which is why I asked.  So how far would they be able to go with those two?  Playoffs?  AFC Championship?  SuperBowl?

6 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Let's discuss further as I agree 100% which is why I asked.  So how far would they be able to go with those two?  Playoffs?  AFC Championship?  SuperBowl?

I don't know. I'm thinking division winner, with maybe some three seed potential. It's still hard to imagine us beating a team like KC or the Pats, especially on the road. So divisional round is realistic, IMO.

8 hours ago, Shepman said:

So using this for perspective, how many players away are we?  Is next years Draft and a little free agency enough IF we can stay healthy?

getting the #2 wr down (could be cain or inman) if not they would be great #3 &4. so maybe 1 wr away in the O. the D would need 1 disruptive DE (will have to come from the draft). we also may need 1 more dt (from the draft or FA).

so I think we are only 3 players away--wr-de-dt-maybe a cb to go with collins

10 minutes ago, reidaj1812 said:

getting the #2 wr down (could be cain or inman) if not they would be great #3 &4. so maybe 1 wr away in the O. the D would need 1 disruptive DE (will have to come from the draft). we also may need 1 more dt (from the draft or FA).

so I think we are only 3 players away--wr-de-dt-maybe a cb to go with collins

lol to go with Collins? Read up on what falcons fans have to say about him. I spent a good while doing some research on him. I doubt he will fix our CB issues. If he does, great. But if anything we need a CB to go with Moore. And I doubt that player is on the team.