Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams vs. Cheifs

King Colt

Defensively the front seven of both teams were pretty good.Sacks, Forced Fumbles, TD's..ect.  They did their jobs.  

Man,..This makes me like OUR secondary and scheme for the first time all year.  Before anyone tries to scold me read this:

How many 35+ plays were in this game by both teams? 3? 4? 5 even?  This shows no self control on the backside safeties.

Our scheme is designed to give up short passes, and prevent the long ones.  

OUR defense has given up 1...Yeah you read that right, 1 pass for 40 or more yards all season!

Both these teams are designed around running the ball and big plays in the air.  Can they sustain 12-15 play drives consistently enough to beat a team who is one of the best in the NFL at doing that? IDK. I'd love to see a scrimmage game for Indy against both these teams to see who'd win.  And i'm not joking. I honestly think our team would match up well vrs both.  (would want Kelly in at center though...Donald is something i wouldn't want to risk putting a back-up in against).

54 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Defensively the front seven of both teams were pretty good.Sacks, Forced Fumbles, TD's..ect.  They did their jobs.  

Man,..This makes me like OUR secondary and scheme for the first time all year.  Before anyone tries to scold me read this:

How many 35+ plays were in this game by both teams? 3? 4? 5 even?  This shows no self control on the backside safeties.

OUR defense has given up 1...Yeah you read that right, 1 pass for 40 or more yards all season!

Both these teams are designed around running the ball and big plays in the air.  Can they sustain 12-15 play drives consistently enough to beat a team who is one of the best in the NFL at doing that? IDK. I'd love to see a scrimmage game for Indy against both these teams to see who'd win.  And i'm not joking. I honestly think our team would match up well vrs both.  (would want Kelly in at center though...Donald is something i wouldn't want to risk putting a back-up in against).

In the Rams defense, trying keep Hill covered is not easy! That man is a beast!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Also, the Pats showed in the first half how to beat the Chiefs. Force them to sink and dunk their way down the field, the problem is Hill is hard keep contained all game.. sooner or later he will get open and make life miserable for a D.  Also I don’t see the Colts stopping Gurley and if you do you will leave their weapons 1 on 1 with your CB and safeties.. both teams loaded up for SB Now or within 2 years when they will have to pay a lot of theses guys big bucks to stay.. esp KC.

14 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Also, the Pats showed in the first half how to beat the Chiefs. Force them to sink and dunk their way down the field, the problem is Hill is hard keep contained all game.. sooner or later he will get open and make life miserable for a D.  Also I don’t see the Colts stopping Gurley and if you do you will leave their weapons 1 on 1 with your CB and safeties.. both teams loaded up for SB Now or within 2 years when they will have to pay a lot of theses guys big bucks to stay.. esp KC.

LOL. little known and respected stat line i'm going to throw at you. Indy has the 6th best YPC defense in the NFL. Only allow 3.9 YPC. A lot of team 'try' to run on us a lot. But very few do it well.  We are one of the only NFL teams that have yet to give up 100 yards to a single rusher.

4 hours ago, JimJaime said:

In the Rams defense, trying keep Hill covered is not easy! That man is a beast!!

True, but I question his PR decision ability.  Twice he fielded punts around the 5 when he should have just let them bounce into the end zone.  The last one he cost his team about 5 previous seconds and about 10 yards.  I realize he has 5 TD's off returns, but let Mahomes do his magic.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

LOL. little known and respected stat line i'm going to throw at you. Indy has the 6th best YPC defense in the NFL. Only allow 3.9 YPC. A lot of team 'try' to run on us a lot. But very few do it well.  We are one of the only NFL teams that have yet to give up 100 yards to a single rusher.

That’s a misleading stat.. Michel ran for 98 yards and averaged 5.4 a carry.  The Colts didn’t stop him from getting to 100 yards the play calling did. I dare say  Gurley is a wee bit better than Sony and would easily eclipse the 100 yard mark.. that isn’t saying the Colts D sucks.. just that Gurley is like Bell a rare RB thats hard to stop

20 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

That’s a misleading stat.. Michel ran for 98 yards and averaged 5.4 a carry.  The Colts didn’t stop him from getting to 100 yards the play calling did. I dare say  Gurley is a wee bit better than Sony and would easily eclipse the 100 yard mark.. that isn’t saying the Colts D sucks.. just that Gurley is like Bell a rare RB thats hard to stop

You also have guys like Peterson and Mixon whom have pretty much had their way with other teams, yet both averaged 2 YPC or less vrs Indy. No team is 100% every game, but the averages show where you are as a unit in total.

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

You also have guys like Peterson and Mixon whom have pretty much had their way with other teams, yet both averaged 2 YPC or less vrs Indy. No team is 100% every game, but the averages show where you are as a unit in total.

Wait? You think Mixon or Peterson are the same caliber of RB as Gurley? His only equivalent would have been Bell and I dare say he is a lot better than even him!  Gurley is the closest this generation will get to a Barry Sanders.. 

12 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Wait? You think Mixon or Peterson are the same caliber of RB as Gurley? His only equivalent would have been Bell and I dare say he is a lot better than even him!  Gurley is the closest this generation will get to a Barry Sanders.. 

No, I never said that. What i said was guys who've been dominating other teams running the ball have looked less than pedestrian VRS. Indy.  Gurley is on another level.  And Gurley IMO closest comparison would be Peterson in his prime. Him and Sanders are two completely different style of runners.

But if we want to go there, I can...lol.  Gurley has seen light boxes all year.  8% of the snaps Gurley has seen 8 man boxes due to the explosive nature of the passing game he's paired with.  A lot of his yards/attempts should be seen as such. As such, he has been averaging 5.0 yards per carry.  On the flip side, Mack and Wilkins see 8 man boxes 24% of the snaps,..yet Mack still averages 5.0 yards per carry, Wilkins 5.6 YPC.  How much more YPC do you think Mack and Wilkins would add to their average YPC if they saw 8 man boxes at 8% like Gurley, rather than their respective 24.5%?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Im sure I'm in the minority but I didn't find the game all that's exciting.  Turned on tv to watch the NFL and a Big 12 game broke out.

Alas, the new NFL.  OTOH, check out the teams that had success against them (Pats vs Chiefs, Saints vs. Rams, even Seahawks vs. Rams) and see their O game plans ...  notably in the run game...

• Like 1

Yea everyone is saying this will be the superbowl after this game, but the Rams already lost to the Saints and the Chiefs already lost to the Pats. Just because they scored a * ton of points doesn't mean they are the best teams, they are pretty good though thats for sure.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 3:13 PM, Lawrence Owen said:

No, I never said that. What i said was guys who've been dominating other teams running the ball have looked less than pedestrian VRS. Indy.  Gurley is on another level.  And Gurley IMO closest comparison would be Peterson in his prime. Him and Sanders are two completely different style of runners.

But if we want to go there, I can...lol.  Gurley has seen light boxes all year.  8% of the snaps Gurley has seen 8 man boxes due to the explosive nature of the passing game he's paired with.  A lot of his yards/attempts should be seen as such. As such, he has been averaging 5.0 yards per carry.  On the flip side, Mack and Wilkins see 8 man boxes 24% of the snaps,..yet Mack still averages 5.0 yards per carry, Wilkins 5.6 YPC.  How much more YPC do you think Mack and Wilkins would add to their average YPC if they saw 8 man boxes at 8% like Gurley, rather than their respective 24.5%?

That’s THIS year his rookie year he put up major numbers like this as well as last year. Gurley would be a Star even on a crappy O like buffalo. (Sorry any Bills fans here but your O is historically bad.)  I know if he was on my Pats they be undefeated. 

6 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Yea everyone is saying this will be the superbowl after this game, but the Rams already lost to the Saints and the Chiefs already lost to the Pats. Just because they scored a * ton of points doesn't mean they are the best teams, they are pretty good though thats for sure.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if neither makes the Super Bowl.

It could be Saints vs Pats/Steelers in the Big Game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if neither makes the Super Bowl.

It could be Saints vs Pats/Steelers in the Big Game.

Im looking at GB, Minn, Carolina, Seahawks. Teams like that could sneak into the playoffs and upset the Rams, if you look at their schedule they have blown out the bad teams but have barely beat the mediocres, one bounce here or there and they lose those games. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Im looking at GB, Minn, Carolina, Seahawks. Teams like that could sneak into the playoffs and upset the Rams, if you look at their schedule they have blown out the bad teams but have barely beat the mediocres, one bounce here or there and they lose those games. 

I'm kinda thinking the football God's would like Breese get another SB before he retires. And it's hard to go against Divine intervention lol.