Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Listening To Offers For Freeney

So in the same offseason we could possibly lose our best offensive and defensive player?

I know the cap hit is just not acceptable, but the idea of losing Manning and Freeney in the same offseason is just disheartening.

If we move Freeney, that is putting a lot of faith in a guy who routinely did not do much without Freeney and is converting to OLB. It looks like OLB will definitely be need in this draft. We sure as heck cannot go into the season with Hughes as the other OLB.

Do you really think Freeney is that valuable.DF has been an excellent player, but I truly believe his best days are behind him. It is silly to pay a guy that kind of money to be a situational player,which is what he is becoming. I really don't see us getting more then a 3rd rounder for him.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling all salary-cap gurus....

We know something needs to be done with his current cap number, but what would some salary-cap scenarios be of an extension/re-do of his contract followed a trade?

And I'm good with a 2nd rounder.

I'm assuming the team we trade with would handle the renogotiating of his contract and would likely work that out prior to agreeing to the trade.

I believe if he is cut or traded we would save around 15 million against this years cap. He's a free agent next year so unless we extend him what we do now won't effect next years cap.

I'm not a guru, but if (when) the Colts trade him, there will be a $5 mill cap hit, so it will be $14 mill in savings. This happens regardless of how the team he is traded to handles his contract. Basically, they will acquire DFree and his $14 mill base salary and will work out an extension that may or may not impact the base. Regardless, he is on the Colts books for $5 mill.

Edit: I think a second rounder is realistic, and as much as I hate to say it, I'm on board with this move. I don't think he will transition to the new scheme, and there is no reason to pay him so much this year or extend him.

Man, so with PM gone and Pierre and DFree most likely gone, I'm out of jerseys!

I would be completely "good" with us trading Freeney for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The reality is that this team needs to rebuild. I was thrilled when I heard that Mathis was resigned because I think in Pagano's new defense he will be a great OLB. Freeney is going on his 11th year in the NFL. He has clearly started to decline IMHO. Mathis is starting his 10th year but he has always seemed a little faster and last year he continued to produce well.

You are always better off moving a player 1 year before they hit rock bottom than waiting until they have and then have zero trade value or walk away for nothing. I think we should take a NT in the 2nd round if Ta'Amu is available, if not then we should look at Nick Jean-Baptiste in round 3 and take the best WR/DB in round 2. This makes having a second 2nd round or 3rd round pick that much better because we could get a nice 3-4 DE in the middle rounds...someone like Derek Wolfe or Kendell Reyes.

There is a rumor that the Bears have interest in Mario Williams to go with Peppers.

Brian Urlacher may have slowed a bit but he and Peppers make an awesome duo, the Bears have larger holes to fill....like the O line or maybe a real tight end.

I think Freeney goes to the Falcons for a 2nd rounder, that is my gut feeling if a trade does happen :).

Irsay will not trade him to an AFC team. Flashback to Marshall Faulk - Dolphins were willing to give up a 1st round pick, while the Rams gave up a 2nd and 5th, Polian sent Faulk to the Rams to get him out of the AFC.

I think the Falcons would be a good fit for him. They need someone besides Abraham to generate a pass rush.

Could see SF making a play for him too.

Either way trade him to a NFC team for a 2nd. Don't take a 3rd for him unless its in a good spot in that round.

Do you really think Freeney is that valuable.DF has been an excellent player, but I truly believe his best days are behind him. It is silly to pay a guy that kind of money to be a situational player,which is what he is becoming. I really don't see us getting more then a 3rd rounder for him.

Over his tenure here in Indy he has always been the most important player on the defense. Every time he went down with an injury nobody, not even Mathis, was able to replicate the pressure Freeney could put out there. Honestly, the only reason he would be a situational player is because we are converting to a 3-4. He may not be as disruptive as he was in his first few years, but he is still our best defensive player.

I completely understand why they are making the move because paying him 19 million in one season is just crippling for the cap. I am sad that they were not able to extend his deal to keep him for a few more season, but the NFL is a business and if Manning has to go somewhere else then nobody is safe.

No suprise, his contract is affceting the CAP- He can't stop the run anyway.We all need to relaize alot of bad salary contracts (Clark, Addai, Brackett, Gonzalez, and so on) affceting who stays or not; I for one, look forward to how the team evolves and becomes a force again in near future-

Pats traded Seymour at age 30? For a first to the raiders. And he was twice the def player Freeney is/was.

I think a 2nd would be the absolute highest we could get. Raiders tend to over pay. Dwight's older and a lesser player.

Raiders do not pick till round 5. Falcons, with their Julio Jones trade up, do not have a first round pick. But it is likely they go for a pass rusher in the draft with pick 2. They would be glad to do the same for getting Freeney, knowing Dimitroff. Dimitroff consulted Belichick to find out if it would be wise to trade up to get Julio Jones but Belichick said no, Dimitroff went ahead anyway. Dimitroff would also want to bolster his pass rush to face Brees twice a year. He is the perfect candidate on several fronts.

It would also be wise to look at a first or second round pick NEXT year if all we can get out of him is a 3rd or 4th this year. I'd like to see this done with Dallas Clark as well. Grigson knows he has 9 or 10 picks for this years draft so why not start to compile them for next year. Another thought would be to bundle up two or three picks this year if we get picks for Freeney and try and have two first or second round picks. We have the amount of picks that could amount to getting one extra quality player versus three later rounds. I'm super excited for this off season! Go Colts!

Trade Freeney for V. Jackson (chargers) and dump Wayne to (houston) for M. Williams. We would have to probally give a draft pick to complete the Wayne deal. Resign Garcon and we have nice weapons for now for Luck. Dump D Clark (get a late round pick), J Addai (get a late round pick) and A Gonzalez.

WR1 - V Jackson (route runner)

WR 2 - P Garson (speed threat)

WR 3 - A Collie (quick slant threat)

TE - J Tamme (quick slant outlet receiver)

RB 1 - D Brown (Gronkowski lead blocker)

RB 2 - D Carter (3rd down back)

I actually like this line up and think it is resonable. What do you think?

Seeing the Colts without Peyton, Reggie, Jeff, and Dwight is going to be really weird. This sucks.

We're rebuilding. It's like starting all over again. The faster you do this the better...don't drag along trying to hold onto the past. We can build plenty of great memories with the new guys. Cherish the old memories, but you can't win with that alone.

Trade Freeney for V. Jackson (chargers) and dump Wayne to (houston) for M. Williams. We would have to probally give a draft pick to complete the Wayne deal. Resign Garcon and we have nice weapons for now for Luck. Dump D Clark (get a late round pick), J Addai (get a late round pick) and A Gonzalez.

Vincent Jackson is a free agent so you cannot trade Freeney to the Chargers for VJs rights since the Chargers do not hold his rights.

Three of the 4 players you mentioned (Jackson, Williams and Wayne) are currently not under contract so they can't be traded.

Freeney is under contract, VJax is a free agent and not under contract.

Wayne is a free agent, so is Mario Williams.

So, neither of those two are viable possibilities, sorry :(.

If we can get something decent for him we have to pull the trigger. That contact is WAY too much and he ain't getting any younger.

Its true Jaric..its just going to be another gutting of the franchise...

..but if he wont restructure the deal...it means he sees the changes and wants to leave

Might be best for both sides but we need a No. 1 or a No. 2 for him

If the Colts get offered a first round pick for Dwight, I think we have to pull the trigger - regardless who it is from. I think it is pretty clear at this point that after dumping Peyton, the Colts have decided they are a few years away. That would put Dwight at the 34-35 year old range, so as much as I hate to say it, I think you have to pull a Pats and trade him while he still has some value before he gets old and just welters out on his own fruition.

I still consider Freeney to be an elite pass rushing DE, and although he may be on the downside of his career, I have not noticed a drop off. He's still fantastic!

If his salary is the issue, then they ought to be trying to work on an extension so that his cap hit is more manageable. Cap concerns should be able to be managed.

I think it's a mistake to get rid of key players still playing at an elite level, simply just because.

We're rebuilding. It's like starting all over again. The faster you do this the better...don't drag along trying to hold onto the past. We can build plenty of great memories with the new guys. Cherish the old memories, but you can't win with that alone.

a total rebuild is dangerous......it might not take

I keep saying..Dallas has won 1 playoff game in 17 years...

I'll be cheering for the 'angels' in 17 years (If you know what I mean)

Well I haven't posted here yet so...

I think that if we could get a top 17 second round pick for Dwight Freeney, the Colts should take it. Will teams offer that to a 32 year old 19M dollar aging star, No. The Colts will be listening to offers, but odds are, they're not going to find anything to their liking. I guess we're just stuck with him and his big contract for the rest of the year. I think anything less of a 2nd round pick should not be taken. Essentially, we they should do is (if offered) take the 2nd round pick that would have been traded for him, and spend it on a 3-4 DE or a pass rushing 3-4 OLB. It's kinda like a mini trade, OLB for OLB. Like I said though, anything less than a 2nd round and they shouldnt make the deal. It's going to be tough to get a 2nd rounder for him, but there are some desperate teams out there.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Filed to ESPN: Colts are fielding telephone calls from teams interested in trading for perennial Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney.

Colts listening to offeres for Freeney & Clark

I always thought Pagaono & said emphatically that they want that duo of Mathis & Freeney

Now appears its his cap thats an issue, didnt anyone think of that before saying otherwise

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bfy4W?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=indianapolis-colts

FROM BEFORE

Pagano New Colt Vision & -Colts Plan To Keep "game-wreckers" Freeney and Mathis,

From Pagano:

• Called Freeney and Mathis "game-wreckers"

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/2/23/2819864/pagano-colts-plan-to-keep-freeney-and-mathis#storyjump

He apparently does not want to rework his deal...

So you are saying he has NO interest in accepting a 2 to 4 year contract extension? I would have thought that a player would LOVE to lock up millions of dollars more beyond just one year out. With an extension, he could still get paid THIS year what he is due to earn, but then also be locked into making millions more for multiple years thereafter.

If he has no interest in an extension with the Colts, instead just wanting to play out the final year of his contract and then hit free agency, then fair enough. If that's the case, then I would be all for shopping Dwight Freeney for a trade. I think the Colts DL would be weaker by omission if he is traded, but if his intention is to only play one more year then leave via free agency to highest bidder anyway, then long term good trumps short term good, in this instance.

I am not sure any of us are actually in a position, at this juncture, to say whether or not Freeney is open to negotiating an extension. I know that if I were Freeney, I'd be inclined to say I signed a contract and I have honored that contract and performed as expected. Thus in return, I expect the final year of my contract to be honored. Hence, I am not interested in renegotiating my one remaining year. If, however, you are offering up a contract extension, then man, I am interested. I would LOVE to retire as a Colt. Make me an offer!

I'm not a guru, but if (when) the Colts trade him, there will be a $5 mill cap hit, so it will be $14 mill in savings. This happens regardless of how the team he is traded to handles his contract. Basically, they will acquire DFree and his $14 mill base salary and will work out an extension that may or may not impact the base. Regardless, he is on the Colts books for $5 mill.

Edit: I think a second rounder is realistic, and as much as I hate to say it, I'm on board with this move. I don't think he will transition to the new scheme, and there is no reason to pay him so much this year or extend him.

Man, so with PM gone and Pierre and DFree most likely gone, I'm out of jerseys!

lol yeah same here, I only have two jerseys Freeney and Garcon, :facepalm:.

So you are saying he has NO interest in accepting a 2 to 4 year contract extension? I would have thought that a player would LOVE to lock up millions of dollars more beyond just one year out. With an extension, he could still get paid THIS year what he is due to earn, but then also be locked into making millions more for multiple years thereafter.

I don't know the details, just going off what was said here:

LINK

"The Colts do not necessarily want to part ways with Freeney, but they need the salary-cap space and Freeney has a $19 million cap number this season and is unwilling to restructure his contract, according to sources.

The Colts are now open to trading Freeney but will only do it for what they consider the right price."

Money is a key issue, but sometimes it is about more than the money.

Freeney might not want to change schemes.

Freeney might not like the direction the team is taking for the short term.

He might not want to stand up at OLB

He's going to get $ either way, through an extension here or a new deal with another team.

I don't know the details, just going off what was said here:

LINK

"The Colts do not necessarily want to part ways with Freeney, but they need the salary-cap space and Freeney has a $19 million cap number this season and is unwilling to restructure his contract, according to sources.

The Colts are now open to trading Freeney but will only do it for what they consider the right price."

Right price might very well mean first round pick. If they don't get one they might make other moves to free up cap space. I think pagano wants Freeney here so if they can find a way to keep him I am sure they would so they can be a little picky about what they want for Dwight and not just give him away.

Its true Jaric..its just going to be another gutting of the franchise...

..but if he wont restructure the deal...it means he sees the changes and wants to leave

Might be best for both sides but we need a No. 1 or a No. 2 for him

It sucks Mark, but it's better to pull the bandaid off all at once rather than slowly rip it.

I don't see us getting a 1st rounder for him due to the age. We'll see though. He'll most likely be gone if we can't trade him, so I'll take what we can get.