Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dree Brees

Stephen

The 1 INT was the 1 pass he attempted over a few yards. I genuinely think you could blitz him and end the Saints. Say he busts off a deep ball and burns you, what's so bad about that when the end result is the same as trying to beat him with coverage? If they're just going to keep giving him everything over the middle and acting like they've never seen the Wildcat every time that doofus Hill comes in though...yeah SB bound Saints.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If this game by Mahomes did not seal the MVP for Brees, I am not sure what will. Mahomes looked like a rookie for the first time. Brees, down 51-54, with 2 drives, would have gone down and scored, hands down. 

sometimes brees would have not every time and Mahomes threw 6 tds despite the turnovers

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

sometimes brees would have not every time and Mahomes threw 6 tds despite the turnovers

With 2 chances, the odds are great with Brees, IMO. Mahomes is a gun slinger, they need Sammy Watkins and other options back for underneath options; otherwise Mahomes will fall short against other QBs that know to play clock control, like Brady, Brees etc. with good teams.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

With 2 chances, the odds are great with Brees, IMO. Mahomes is a gun slinger, they need Sammy Watkins and other options back for underneath options; otherwise Mahomes will fall short against other QBs that know to play clock control, like Brady, Brees etc. with good teams.

Yep but his gun slinger mentality will get him the td record 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 11:46 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I have to tip my hat to Brees.  He has overcome the stigma of only being 6 ft. in a world where QBs are suppose to be taller and bigger.  He holds so many QB records I am not taking the time to list them.

And came back from what many thought was a career ending injury.  

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

And came back from what many thought was a career ending injury.  

Very true.

I have to be honest in saying while he was great at Purdue I didn't think he was going to a great NFL QB. Then the injury just added to that notion. He proved me wrong. I have a feeling I wasn't the only one he proved wrong.

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 12:29 AM, Trueman said:

Only way to slow him down is with interior pressure , and he's got outstanding guards. 

Good luck.

Top 10 all-time , without a doubt , imo.

Just for fun is he or Rodgers Top 5. Here is my Top 5 by the way:

Brady, Montana, Peyton, Unitas, Elway. After that IMO you have a ton of QB's that could be 6-10. Marino and Favre both come to mind and that is only 2.

-Brees deserves MVP this season, he has the numbers and the wins. Glad he will finally win one!

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady, Montana, Peyton, Unitas, Elway. After that IMO you have a ton of QB's that could be 6-10. Marino and Favre both come to mind and that is only 2.

-Brees deserves MVP this season, he has the numbers and the wins. Glad he will finally win one!

Season isn't over yet.    Lots can still happen

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but Brees would have to fall of a cliff at this point with only 5 games left. Only other guys that are in the MVP discussion are Mahomes, Luck, and Gurley. 

If luck carries this team into the playoffs,   he deserves it.   

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton Montana Marino Elway Brady is mine 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

If luck carries this team into the playoffs,   he deserves it.   

I actually don't totally disagree with that, meaning if we run the table, get in, and Luck throws for around 50 TD's then yes that could change things. You know how the media is though, because Brees is at the end of his career and has never won one they will probably give it to him regardless. Unless he just starts playing bad and the Saints lose a couple. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Going by SB era, Marino would be in and Unitas out in my Top 5, I like your Top 5 as we pretty much have the same guys. I put Unitas in mine because I covered all era's. 

I dont pay attention to rings or playoff stats or success I just did mine based on pure talent at the position imo and I honestly believe peyton is better than anyone to play QB ever 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I dont pay attention to rings or playoff stats or success I just did mine based on pure talent at the position imo and I honestly believe peyton is better than anyone to play QB ever 

I factor that in as well. I factor in everything but I will say this, if we were doing an all-time draft I would choose Peyton #1. If I was starting a franchise and my team had scrubs on it and had 0-16 written all over it, I would trust Peyton as my first building block. Luck has alot of the same qualities that Peyton does as in being able to carry teams with little talent.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Brees lost to the Cowboys at 13-0 at home in 2009 but won the SB. Colts lost to the Cowboys in 2006 at 9-0 and won the SB.

The Cowboys can play spoiler, just like the Broncos have done vs Steelers and Chargers recently.

This has been a great game straight out of the 90s. They’re purposely not calling these personal fouls and besides the facemask on Zeke I agree with the nocalls. 

The media is so far up Brees that I kind of think it’d take another bad game for him not to get it. Don’t get me wrong he’s still not my pick but you know how this stuff goes. They don’t have brains enough to remember Luck or Rivers are playing so I say they vote Brees and Brady (the few who don’t get over this game if he doesn’t have another bad one).

14 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Dude came back to Earth tonight, blitz them, take away the 3-5 yard dump offs, as someone said, and all of a sudden, he's 35 and average....

Stop stop stop 

He’s nowhere near average. Average is like Mariota or Winston 

But maybe the Saints aren’t as invincible as everyone thought 

9 hours ago, AllYouNeedIsLuck said:

Stop stop stop 

He’s nowhere near average. Average is like Mariota or Winston 

But maybe the Saints aren’t as invincible as everyone thought 

Interior pressure down the middle is the key vs Brees and that is where he is not Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson makes up for his 6 foot frame by moving outside the pocket with wheels and throwing on the run or using his legs. Brees is limited on that front and hence when there is pocket push down the middle, his vision is affected considerably. He can step in against DE pressure but cannot step up when the push is down the middle.

I remember DeMarcus Ware along the edges and Jay Ratliff down the middle when the Cowboys took down the Saints in 2009, same recipe for beating Brees. Easier said than done since you need the horses to make it work. Stunts take too long to form, and beating 1-on-1s inside is the key against a QB like Brees. While Strahan and Justin Tuck might get the credit for the Giants vs Brady, the interior pressure of the Giants is what increased their effectiveness, IMO.

Plus, the Saints do not have play makers at the TE or slot WR position to run rub routes or crossing routes as well, the RBs can only do so much. That is why the Patriots keep investing in RBs, TEs and slot WRs instead of outside WRs because when the O-line is under pressure down the middle, those are the guys that can bail you out faster. That is why they scrapped the Randy Moss experiment after it led to limited playoff success from 2007-2009 against elite Ds, and went with the 2 TEs and more reliance on the pass catching RBs and slot WRs again. 

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Interior pressure down the middle is the key vs Brees and that is where he is not Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson makes up for his 6 foot frame by moving outside the pocket with wheels and throwing on the run or using his legs. Brees is limited on that front and hence when there is pocket push down the middle, his vision is affected considerably. He can step in against DE pressure but cannot step up when the push is down the middle.

I remember DeMarcus Ware along the edges and Jay Ratliff down the middle when the Cowboys took down the Saints in 2009, same recipe for beating Brees. Easier said than done since you need the horses to make it work. Stunts take too long to form, and beating 1-on-1s inside is the key against a QB like Brees. While Strahan and Justin Tuck might get the credit for the Giants vs Brady, the interior pressure of the Giants is what increased their effectiveness, IMO.

Plus, the Saints do not have play makers at the TE or slot WR position to run rub routes or crossing routes as well, the RBs can only do so much. That is why the Patriots keep investing in RBs, TEs and slot WRs instead of outside WRs because when the O-line is under pressure down the middle, those are the guys that can bail you out faster. That is why they scrapped the Randy Moss experiment after it led to limited playoff success from 2007-2009 against elite Ds, and went with the 2 TEs and more reliance on the pass catching RBs and slot WRs again. 

This is sort of something I was alluding to with the Colts getting better in the middle of the line.  Interior pressure is the hardest thing for a QB to deal with.  You can step up to help your tackles out on the edge.  

But there is only so much you can do with pressure up the middle.  Take off and run maybe if the edge defenders don't have you hemmed in.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

This is sort of something I was alluding to with the Colts getting better in the middle of the line.  Interior pressure is the hardest thing for a QB to deal with.  You can step up to help your tackles out on the edge.  

But there is only so much you can do with pressure up the middle.  Take off and run maybe if the edge defenders don't have you hemmed in.  

The Cowboys game plus Andy Reid's comment earlier about 5 steps vs 12 steps to the QB with interior pass rush all points towards a disruptive 3-tech or even a disruptive 1-tech as our Day 1 pick. 

Plus, the Cowboys taking Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith has their LB core solidified for years now like the 49ers had with Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman for several years. I would not mind another stud for our LB core either.

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Cowboys game plus Andy Reid's comment earlier about 5 steps vs 12 steps to the QB with interior pass rush all points towards a disruptive 3-tech or even a disruptive 1-tech as our Day 1 pick. 

Plus, the Cowboys taking Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith has their LB core solidified for years now like the 49ers had with Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman for several years. I would not mind another stud for our LB core either.

That I think is also the deal with OL talent deminishing.  Interior DL's started learning to disrupt the pass.  Not all of the guards and centers out there have adjusted to compensate.