Go with it without any pass rush (inside and out) and a lackluster SS

It will look poor

We have the WSLB to play it....... but we are weak in the other areas

I expect poor to average, until we fill the spots

We fixed the offense (mostly)

We will fix the defense THIS coming year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pelt said:

I live in Memphis now and there are a lot of Cowboy fans that live here. Of all the coaches on the defense, Eberflus was the one they wanted to stay around. They weren't happy that he got away to Indy.

I live in the area, too and you are correct.  Everything is Dallas around here.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its a GREAT defense....... When staffed accordingly

It will look poor

Agreed.  A pass rusher or two will cure many ills. 

• Like 1

ill echo the others and say its intended to be a cheaper defenses that bends but hopefully doesnt break.  

when the buccaneers made this scheme look really good they had hall of fame talent on all three levels.  i dont think john lynch was first ballot but he will probably get in

when you have that much talent you can make any scheme look good

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

ill echo the others and say its intended to be a cheaper defenses that bends but hopefully doesnt break.  

It IS a cheaper defense to staff

With the smaller, faster players, you may (WILL) get gashed by big running teams

But....... you will ALSO get a few tackles for loss,  which creates 3rd and long situations, where the run is less of a factor.

If you have a high scoring offense, and can get  the other team to punt on 50% (or more) of their possessions you have a win

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

It IS a cheaper defense to staff

With the smaller, faster players, you may (WILL) get gashed by big running teams

But....... you will ALSO get a few tackles for loss,  which creates 3rd and long situations, where the run is less of a factor.

If you have a high scoring offense, and can get  the other team to punt on 50% (or more) of their possessions you have a win

its cheaper because of zone corners, which has of course been covered already.  i think the gap can narrow though if we are not able to fill the dline through the draft, which so far we have not

a run stopping safety like john lynch or bob sanders would be a good addition too.  i may be be entirety wrong about this but those types of players seem to be getting rare these days 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its a GREAT defense....... When staffed accordingly

It will look poor

Well.... I think Polian staffed Dungy's Tampa 2 accordingly (Hof talent pass rushers Mathis, Freeney, and safety Bob Sanders) and just about everyone says it was the defense to blame that Peyton only won 1 SB here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well.... I think Polian staffed Dungy's Tampa 2 accordingly (Hof talent pass rushers Mathis, Freeney, and safety Bob Sanders) and just about everyone says it was the defense to blame that Peyton only won 1 SB here.

Its a great point

We WON the Super bowl, when we had a SS, WSLB, decent NT, and DEs

We can win the SB AGAIN...... IF we staff up this defense

We have most of the offense in place

24 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

On the flip side of that coin, we need to give that defense credit for being good enough to win 12 games a year and more than any other team for a decade...

Let's also not forget about BB, Brady and the Pats stealing a few away from us.

vYgPmI8.gif

I've said this a dozen times in other threads, here it is again - hope management takes heed.

This defense is missing it's Booger McFarland and Warren Sapp in the middle of the DL, above all else.

It's not missing a Raheem Brock and Keyunta Dawson. Polian not pursuing DT seriously in FA and the draft set the team back notches.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Apparently, you haven't been following other similar threads about Eberflus.    Other posts have said the exact same thing you have.     Here is the response...

Ballard hand-picked Eberflus.   That's HIS GUY!    The two met several years ago at some NFL event.  The two hit it off, and CB said if he ever got the chance,  he was going to hire ME to run his defense. Ballard was hugely impressed with Eberflus.

When Ballard hired Josh McDaniels,  he told him about ME.   Said he wanted him to be the new DC. McDaniels only cared about the offensive assistants.    He was fine with the choice.   As the new HC, JM made the call and extended the offer to him.    But McDaniels didn't know Eberflus at all.  Couldn't pick him out of a police line-up if he had to.     ME was Ballard's pick all along.

So, unless there's been some type of falling out what we don't know about,  I'd expect Ballard and Reich to bring back Eberflus next year and beyond.     The two men are running the system they want to run.    They believe in it.     Hopefully better personnel in the next few years will make it a much better defense.

That's the real Matt Eberflus story.....

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Mcdanials may have discovered Eberflus. But Ballard chose to keep him.

McDaniels didn't discover Eberflus.    Ballard did.    McDaniels made the phone call to hire ME, but it was done at Ballard's request.    Eberflus is Ballard's guy all along.    Has been from the get-go.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

he was going to hire ME to run his defense

he told him about ME.

ME was Ballard's pick all along

McDaniels made the phone call to hire ME

Me think you think you Colt coach.  Me hope you know you not.

(me couldn't help it, me sorry)  :P

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

When Ballard hired Josh McDaniels,  he told him about ME.   Said he wanted him to be the new DC. McDaniels only cared about the offensive assistants.    He was fine with the choice.   As the new HC, JM made the call and extended the offer to him.    But McDaniels didn't know Eberflus at all.  Couldn't pick him out of a police line-up if he had to.     ME was Ballard's pick all along.

I think Reich has a similar approach. He does not have a specific scheme or guy in his mind regarding defense neither, he cares about the offense, and is fine with giving the authority over the defense to his DC.

(I think McDaniels picked the oline coach and ST coach. I expected Reich to bring in his own guys next season, but seeing how much the oline has improved, and the ST playing more than OK, I think Reich will keep them too.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

IMO for the majority of that time the interior of the D-line was not staff correctly which hurt the run D.

21 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It's probably Ballard's preferred D system. One where corners are zone corners and get paid much less than press man corners.

JM was probably told pick a DC that uses a cover 2 zone. 

I have been watching Alabama play and they keep talking about their secondary is using a "match up Zone" looks very interesting and effective. Is this something that would be successful at the pro level. There just has to be something better than our CB's lining up 10 ft away from the receiver. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rock8591 said:

I've said this a dozen times in other threads, here it is again - hope management takes heed.

This defense is missing it's Booger McFarland and Warren Sapp in the middle of the DL, above all else.

It's not missing a Raheem Brock and Keyunta Dawson. Polian not pursuing DT seriously in FA and the draft set the team back notches.

Just go to the dentist already............ :)

If the NT can actually get into the back field, I am for it

The problem with the NT spot, is finding a BIG BODY that can also get some penetration

10 minutes ago, onebad150 said:

I have been watching Alabama play and they keep talking about their secondary is using a "match up Zone" looks very interesting and effective. Is this something that would be successful at the pro level. There just has to be something better than our CB's lining up 10 ft away from the receiver. 

Alabama may have 5 people from just the defense go in the first round

The D Line looks like a pro team 

I have never seen anything like it

20 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

They HAVE to play conservative.... there is no current pass rush to support them

The flip side - if you always play soft and are in 2nd and 3rd and short constantly, you never have any pass rushing opportunities.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, #12. said:

The flip side - if you always play soft and are in 2nd and 3rd and short constantly, you never have any pass rushing opportunities.  

You are correct

You have 2 choices with THIS talent

Choice 1

Play closer - Get burnt deep, as there is now NO pass rush

The opposing team gets it all in long plays

Choice 2

WHAT THE CURRENT COLTS HAVE TO PLAY

(due to lack of talent on defense)

Play a bit off the man in pass coverage

The opposing offense moves down the field....... a bit slower than choice 1

There are more opportunities for a defensive stop that may come from a dropped pass, penalty, or a stuffed run

A CB looks studly when the QB is harrased

They can break on a ball that is  not as accurate...... they will get picks (along with the safeties)

This is why THIS DEFENSE needs pass rush to survive

I HOPE that one of the 3-4 UTs that will help this defense are available 

If they are gone, at the 15 - 20th pick where we draft.......  I say BPA available and try to fix immense hole in FA (Not my preferred)

20 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

On the flip side of that coin, we need to give that defense credit for being good enough to win 12 games a year and more than any other team for a decade...

vYgPmI8.gif

The one that hurt more were the losses to the chargers

21 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

vYgPmI8.gif

If Marlin Jackson doesn’t make that insane break on that INT then I have very little doubt Brady marches, scores and we don’t any SBs with Manning.