Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I THINK DELONTE CARTER COULD BE BIG FOR THE COLTS

natelombardi

I LIKE HIS SIZE AND THE WAY HE RUNS THE STRETCH PLAYS I THINK JOSEPH ADDAI DOES TOO MUCH DANCING AND IS NOT PHYSICAL LIKE EDGERIN JAMES WAS AND DOES NOT HIT THE HOLE UNLESS ITS A GAPING ONE BUT DELONTE CARTER HAS THE SIZE AND RUNNING STYLE WE NEED 5'10 225 AND IS A DOWN HILL RUNNER AND A SOLID 40 TIME TOO....MIGHT BE THE LEGERRET BLOUNT OF THE DRAFT

Guest BlueShoe

It wouldn't surprise me if Brown moves down to the #3 RB if he does not produce when called upon in the first half of the season

Brown's a good back but he needs a whole to run through. We should be able to give him that now.

Our problem has not been our backs at all the past few years. Our OL has been one of the least athletic run blocking lines in the NFL for quite some time now. Last year the pass blocking fell to crap as well and we hit a wall where we couldn’t do didley poo. Peyton had two seconds to get the ball off and our backs earned ever yard they gained. Many times our backs were hit in the backfield just after getting the ball. Just absolutely no holes to run through on a consistent basis. We ran the ball better at the end of last season because Peyton caught defenses off guard by audibling to runs at unexpected times.

I know a lot of people like to give Brown a hard time because he was a first round pick and he should be producing at a very high level, but in my opinion, Marshall Faulk in his prime would have a tough time being successful running the ball the past few years on this team. And I think Faulk is the greatest all around RB of all-time.

Now I am not making excuses for Brown as this is just the reality of the situation. When our line improves, if he doesn’t improve then he deserves the criticism. Just how I see things anyway.

I LIKE HIS SIZE AND THE WAY HE RUNS THE STRETCH PLAYS I THINK JOSEPH ADDAI DOES TOO MUCH DANCING AND IS NOT PHYSICAL LIKE EDGERIN JAMES WAS AND DOES NOT HIT THE HOLE UNLESS ITS A GAPING ONE BUT DELONTE CARTER HAS THE SIZE AND RUNNING STYLE WE NEED 5'10 225 AND IS A DOWN HILL RUNNER AND A SOLID 40 TIME TOO....MIGHT BE THE LEGERRET BLOUNT OF THE DRAFT

I love Addai for all the things he does for our offense that other RBs don't do near as well, but I do agree he tends to dance around a lot. He's not the downhill runner like James or even Rhodes. Addai definitely deserves the starting spot but I'm not a fan of the rushing aspect of his game...Even with the rare open hole.

Brown's a good back but he needs a whole to run through. We should be able to give him that now.

I agree and I will explain more at the end
Our problem has not been our backs at all the past few years. Our OL has been one of the least athletic run blocking lines in the NFL for quite some time now.
I disagree with this. Both Addai and Hart averaged 4.3 ypc last year. There were ups and downs as will happen especially when it's a different line from the year before. But overall the run blocking was good (not great or anything but good). The reason the Colts didn't rank higher in rushing yards per game is because a.) very few rushing attempts and b) injuries to Addai and Hart and c) having J. James get more than one carry (although he was good within the 5)
Last year the pass blocking fell to crap as well and we hit a wall where we couldn’t do didley poo.

And yet they were still, far and away, the best pass blocking line in the NFL.

Peyton had two seconds to get the ball off

That is just not true and has been discussed on this forum.
and our backs earned ever yard they gained. Many times our backs were hit in the backfield just after getting the ball. Just absolutely no holes to run through on a consistent basis.
That's not true either. The Colts had 40 negative running plays The were actually 31st in the league (2nd best) with negative plays to the left. 5th in center and 9th to the right. Can be improved but much better than your comment would suggest.

We ran the ball better at the end of last season because Peyton caught defenses off guard by audibling to runs at unexpected times.

I actually tracked this during the year and 67% of the time Manning called a run on 1st and 10 (but not the 1st play of a drive). So it wasn't that Manning was calling an audible at unexpected times, Manning quit being so predictable with his run calls.

I know a lot of people like to give Brown a hard time because he was a first round pick and he should be producing at a very high level, but in my opinion, Marshall Faulk in his prime would have a tough time being successful running the ball the past few years on this team. And I think Faulk is the greatest all around RB of all-time.

Now I am not making excuses for Brown as this is just the reality of the situation. When our line improves, if he doesn’t improve then he deserves the criticism. Just how I see things anyway.

I think Brown has talent, I just don't think he's a good fit for a zone blocking team. Brown needs to be in a system where the run is called to a hole and Brown will hit that hole and he's very good at making people miss on the 2nd level. What Brown is not good at, and why he is not good for a zone blocking team, is anticipating where the hole will open and then getting to that spot. But in a zone blocking scheme a run at the LG, the hole could be anywhere from the middle of the LT to the left shoulder of the center depending on how the D lines up. He just lacks that ability to see it developing.

So I don't think there is really anything wrong with Brown or his running style. I just don't think he's a good fit for the Colts style of play. And it's because of that, if Carter proves to be a capable back-up and one of the undrafted rookies proves worthy of the #3 spot, I will not be shocked if Brown does not make the final 53 man roster or is traded to another team for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Our problem has not been our backs at all the past few years. Our OL has been one of the least athletic run blocking lines in the NFL for quite some time now. Last year the pass blocking fell to crap as well and we hit a wall where we couldn’t do didley poo. Peyton had two seconds to get the ball off and our backs earned ever yard they gained. Many times our backs were hit in the backfield just after getting the ball. Just absolutely no holes to run through on a consistent basis. We ran the ball better at the end of last season because Peyton caught defenses off guard by audibling to runs at unexpected times.

completely agree with this post....and on top of this...same with our special teams...guys can't get yards on special teams cause the blocking is awful.

DELONTE CARTER HAS THE SIZE AND RUNNING STYLE WE NEED 5'10 225 AND IS A DOWN HILL RUNNER

Agree.

Going back to the draft, I was not only stoked but surprised to get him. He's a departure from the typical Colt RB brought in over recent years. I'm all for this guy combined with addressing the O-line which ought to help in the huge 3rd & short need area. He's the "fullback"/power guy we've been lacking for many years. Can't wait to see the plan put in action. I like the trend.

i don't know how anyone can defend the offensive lines performance last year....there is a reason the colts used there first two draft picks on that unit. and to use the average yards per carry from addai/hart as examples of good blocking seems to be cherry picking....hart only had 43 carries and addai only had 116. plus, if i remember right, addai had two of his biggest games against teams that were practically begging the colts to run the ball.

having said that i think addai is a very good runner. the reason the poor guy is jumping around so much is to avoid negative yardage. donald brown on the other hand? if i see that guy run into the back of an O lineman again i'm going to vomit. def think brown will lose his job to carter, but his overall impact will depend on the line.

i don't know how anyone can defend the offensive lines performance last year....there is a reason the colts used there first two draft picks on that unit.

There is a reason. CJ was not on the team. Nobody thought AC would still be there, the Colts needed improved guard play for a year or two and then someone to move to RT after Diem retired or was let go.
and to use the average yards per carry from addai/hart as examples of good blocking seems to be cherry picking....hart only had 43 carries and addai only had 116. plus, if i remember right, addai had two of his biggest games against teams that were practically begging the colts to run the ball.
How is it any more cherry picking than using Brown (129 carries) and J. James(46). Do you really think 16 carries makes that big a difference? And no, Addai did not have two games that skewed his ypc.

Jax - 4.4

NYG - 4.6

DEN - 2.2

JAC - 3.9

KC - 2.7

WAS - 7.5

OAK - 3.8

Ten - 4.0

Jets - 4.8

In the NFL those are pretty consistent numbers.

What is with everyone typing in all caps and not using any kind of punctuation? Run on sentences and all caps are not reader friendly. :facepalm:

Yeah, I quit reading the OP after a few words. It's probably a good post but if I have to decipher it, then it's not worth the effort.

Yes, Carter could be what we wanted from Hart. He was too small and injury prone to deliver that kind of performance with any consistency. I hope Carter is our finisher, pounding the ball in the 4th.

I also hope Evans makes the PS and can play the same role if Carter goes down.

Tbh i think the colts is the strongest team in the AFC right now, just by looking on paper some pretty talented guys are gonna lose their jobs hopefully everyone shows what they got come preseason the the colts make the right choice picking.

There is a reason. CJ was not on the team. Nobody thought AC would still be there, the Colts needed improved guard play for a year or two and then someone to move to RT after Diem retired or was let go.

How is it any more cherry picking than using Brown (129 carries) and J. James(46). Do you really think 16 carries makes that big a difference? And no, Addai did not have two games that skewed his ypc.

Jax - 4.4

NYG - 4.6

DEN - 2.2

JAC - 3.9

KC - 2.7

WAS - 7.5

OAK - 3.8

Ten - 4.0

Jets - 4.8

In the NFL those are pretty consistent numbers.

they could have easily resigned cj and chose not to....that is kinda of telling. plus it was polian himself who called out the line a couple years ago...so i can't believe he has been pleased with their performance.

they could have easily resigned cj and chose not to....that is kinda of telling. plus it was polian himself who called out the line a couple years ago...so i can't believe he has been pleased with there perfomance.

Not at draft time. And the Colts stated at the draft they were going to draft as if all their free agents and restricted free agents were not on the team.

And yes they could have and they tried but CJ wanted more money than the Colts wanted to give. As big a fan of CJ as I am, the drafting of Castanzo made him expendable. The Colts probably wanted to sign him to a 1 year deal as insurance in case AC doesn't work out and CJ wanted a longer term deal.

And yes Polian has mentioned the oline a few times. Usually the interior.

Not at draft time. And the Colts stated at the draft they were going to draft as if all their free agents and restricted free agents were not on the team.

And yes they could have and they tried but CJ wanted more money than the Colts wanted to give. As big a fan of CJ as I am, the drafting of Castanzo made him expendable. The Colts probably wanted to sign him to a 1 year deal as insurance in case AC doesn't work out and CJ wanted a longer term deal.

And yes Polian has mentioned the oline a few times. Usually the interior.

thanks for informing me they couldn't sign cj during the draft. no offense, but it's a peeve of mine when people state the obvious.

i know why cj left, but it says something about what they thought of his talent level considering THE FRANCHISE is coming off his second neck surgery in two years and cj was the only viable LT on the roster besides a rookie.

while i agree with polian that the interior of the line was/is a problem, the tackles were not much better.

i think it's fair to we can just agree to disagree....

thanks for informing me they couldn't sign cj during the draft. no offense, but it's a peeve of mine when people state the obvious.

That's okay, it's a pet peeve of mine when people make assumptions that are not based on facts.
i know why cj left, but it says something about what they thought of his talent level considering THE FRANCHISE is coming off his second neck surgery in two years and cj was the only viable LT on the roster besides a rookie.
You would have a point if the only determining factor of signing a player is talent level. But one, it's a contract both sides have to agree (one of your pet peeves but that seems to be forgotten) if the Colts wanted CJ for 1 year and he wanted a longer contract then he would go to a team giving him a longer contract. Also, a GM has to look 3-5 years down the road, not just the immediate season.
while i agree with polian that the interior of the line was/is a problem, the tackles were not much better.

Polian praised the tackles quite a bit, especially CJ in the latter part of the season.

We can agree to disagree but facts are facts.

Addai and Hart ran fine behind the same line Brown and J. James struggled to run behind.

Addai ran very consistent all year.

Hart ran consistent when he had the chance (and was not injured)

Brown is a good runner but is not a good for running behind a zone blocking oline.

Are those the things we agree on or agree to disagree?

:topic:

I like what I'm hearing about Carter so far, I can't wait to see how he does in the preseason games.

I like how no-one mentioned the guy called him 'Delonte'... lol

A lot of people here can't spell "you're" or "too" or "their". You know, words they have seen and been using their entire lives and requirements to make it to 5th grade, probably. So, adding or missing a single letter in an unusual first name can maybe be overlooked.

A lot of people here can't spell "you're" or "too" or "their". You know, words they have seen and been using their entire lives and requirements to make it to 5th grade, probably. So, adding or missing a single letter in an unusual first name can maybe be overlooked.

Your being to hard on them. They can't help it there IQ is low.

That's okay, it's a pet peeve of mine when people make assumptions that are not based on facts.

You would have a point if the only determining factor of signing a player is talent level. But one, it's a contract both sides have to agree (one of your pet peeves but that seems to be forgotten) if the Colts wanted CJ for 1 year and he wanted a longer contract then he would go to a team giving him a longer contract. Also, a GM has to look 3-5 years down the road, not just the immediate season.

Polian praised the tackles quite a bit, especially CJ in the latter part of the season.

We can agree to disagree but facts are facts.

Addai and Hart ran fine behind the same line Brown and J. James struggled to run behind.

Addai ran very consistent all year.

Hart ran consistent when he had the chance (and was not injured)

Brown is a good runner but is not a good for running behind a zone blocking oline.

Are those the things we agree on or agree to disagree?

:topic:

I like what I'm hearing about Carter so far, I can't wait to see how he does in the preseason games.

[/quote

i disagree....i think if addai played a full season he prolly would have ended up averaging about what he had the previous two years behind this line. and the sample size of hart and james is too small to come to any conclusion.

basically, think the running game should be more effective, especially in critical situations, considering that teams are often daring us to run the ball. i mean, does anybody really feel confident when it's 3 and 3 and the colts decide to run the ball?

I think darren evans can be that guy....he has the speed we need at rb we haven't had that in a long time plus we drafted a fast rb last year but never played him except for kickoff return....brandon james from florida

Brandon James is not/was not a RB and we didn't draft him, he was an UDFA.

Our O-line was terrible... They gave no actually pass protection and less run blocking. The only reason they even got pass protection numbers is our QB is amazing and can get/throw the ball in less than 2 seconds. Peytons time between getting the ball and throwing the ball to avoid a sack is vastly less than most other QB in the NFL. Yeah it would of been nice to get CJ back and switch him to a guard and get rid of Diem... but the 2 draft picks we got should actually give Peyton more time to through, and Addai more time to dance..