Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Outlook

Scott Pennock

On 11/15/2018 at 9:20 PM, Scott Pennock said:

At this point I firmly believe that the linebacking corps is in excellent shape moving forward and into 2019. Darius Leonard looks like an All-Pro and Anthony Walker is a well-balanced, sideline to sideline MLB. Zaire Franklin, Matthew Adams and Skai Moore provide solid depth. 

The edge rushers are young and learning on the job (outside of Sheard). Turay looks like he'll be the real deal as he's put together a solid rookie season thus far. Lewis showed flashes (in just one game no less) of what he did in college and in off-season workouts.

But, the depth CB is building behind them in Muhammad, Phillips (IR) and now the signing of Wimbush (PS) provides talent not tapped into fully......yet

The interior of the line with Stewart, Ridgeway, Autry and Ward (IR) provide youth and talent but all are stuck behind 2 pending FA's in Hunt and Woods. Will one or both be resigned? It seems to me this is one of the spots Ballard will invest draft capital on....

The cornerback room just improved talent wise with the signing of Jalen Collins - we'll see if he keeps his nose clean and makes it to 2019. However, with Moore II shining this year and Desir (FA) playing solid ball and both Hairston and Wilson showing signs of solid play still gives us at least capable backups. I believe Ballard will invest draft capital here as well.

Lastly, the last line of defense is in the capable hands of Hooker and Farley (IR), and when Geathers is healthy he is a solid SS. There is not much depth behind them though. Will Ballard resign Geathers? Mike Mitchell? Corey Moore is JAG....and Odum has rarely seen the field in his rookie season. I believe Ballard will invest draft capital here as well....

The long and the short of it is this....these young kids on D are clawing and scratching to give the O a chance every game with varying degrees of success. While we will make things interesting this year, 2019 will be a coming out party with our 7 draft picks, a 2nd rounder from the Jets, a 4th round compensatory pick and whatever we ultimately get for trading Brissett.....plus a buttload of money to buy a young, proven veteran or two.

Everyone sees the offense taking off, but, I see the pieces of a solid defense growing up right in front of our eyes.

I didn't know we signed Collins?

59 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The Colts defense was still terrible with Booger. The Colts were just fortunate to come around defensively for a 3 game stretch in the playoff and SB. Minus Pats game!

Slight exaggeration IMO.

They were brutal in the regular season against the run for sure. But our run D during the playoffs was one of the major reasons we won the ship and Booger played a big hand in that.

Having a DT with size and ability was a huge help. It's a shame that was such a rare occurrence during the Peyton era.

Just now, Trueman said:

They were brutal in the regular season against the run for sure. But our run D during the playoffs was one of the major reasons we won the ship and Booger played a big hand in that.

Having a DT with size and ability was a huge help. It's a shame that was such a rare occurrence during the Peyton era.

Booger was acquired on the 17 Oct. The defense finished dead last against the run that season. The defense basically struck lighting in a bottle during the playoffs.

Did he help in the playoffs? Sure, even Rob Morris played well switching to the strong -side, but to say Booger turned the defense around, well, I beg to differ on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

but to say Booger turned the defense around, well, I beg to differ on that.

Well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't say that. :thmup:

Sanders coming back was a huge help as well. But, watch the tape of our playoff games. Booger was vital , and it was a component were sorely lacked in previous playoff runs.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Booger was acquired on the 17 Oct. The defense finished dead last against the run that season. The defense basically struck lighting in a bottle during the playoffs.

Did he help in the playoffs? Sure, even Rob Morris played well switching to the strong -side, but to say Booger turned the defense around, well, I beg to differ on that.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bf201e47354716649

That was the final puzzle piece, jus tin time for the playoffs...

24 minutes ago, MPStack said:

No, you didn't, but I was referring to other poster. Should've clarified that! My fault!

No, I was talking about him being really good for the Bucs. Hence why Dungy trades a 2nd round pick for him. 

Sanders was a huge part of that D in the SP. we just caught lightning in a bottle in that run

57 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If anything  the return of bob sanders sparked the d

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

If anything  the return of bob sanders sparked the d

Booger played a HUGE role, I cannot understate it.

With Corey Simon and Montae Reagor already out for the season, I doubt any team is fearing Raheem Brock and Keyunta Dawson at NT and UT.

That's just begging for a playoff early exit.