The 2019 NEEDS........

In priority

DT - 3 Tech

DE

SS

Development OT

CB - Maybe 2

WR

A developmental QB to replace Brissett (When we get a 2nd round pick)

With 6 picks in first 4 rounds, we may make a dent in this list even before we take in a FA

I also think that Brissett is worth a 2nd to somebody  .......  

I like Brissett, but with the OL coming around, and knowing that this team is toast if we lose Luck, why not use that pick to bolster the team?

A second round pick that may be a starter, is a bigger contributor than a QB holding the clipboard on the sidelines

2 cents...

Deano

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

In priority

DT - 3 Tech

DE

SS

Development OT

CB - Maybe 2

WR

With 6 picks in first 4 rounds, we may make a dent in this list even before we take in a FA

I like Brissett, but with the OL coming around, and knowing that this team is toast if we lose Luck, why not use that pick to bolster the team?

A second round pick that may be a starter, is a bigger contributor than a QB holding the clipboard on the sidelines

2 cents...

Deano

Huh?

6 picks in the first four rounds?

That's what we have now....   but we'll get a pick for Brissett,  I believe it will be a Day 2 pick,  but I wouldn't bet on a 2nd rounder.

That will give us 7 picks in the first four rounds....

Just want to make sure we're all on the same page...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

6 picks in the first four rounds?

That's what we have now....   but we'll get a pick for Brissett,  I believe it will be a Day 2 pick,  but I wouldn't bet on a 2nd rounder.

That will give us 7 picks in the first four rounds....

Just want to make sure we're all on the same page...

I believe that we will have a 4th round comp pick for FA as well as the Jets 2nd round pick to add to the normal 4 picks in rounds 1-4. Did I add one incorrectly?

DE is not a priority. We have Turay and Lewis waiting to break out, Sheard and Autry as well. Hunt can also slide to DE.

NT and UT by far. A prime Booger McFarland and Warren Sapp will do wonders for this defense, as opposed to a Raheem Brock and Keyunta Dawson.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

WR

Olb

Cb

Ss (depends on Geathers)

oline depth

Dt (depends on woods)

d-line depth

We should take a DT no matter what happens with woods we need to start getting some pass rush from the interior D line same with geathers still need an upgrade at SS no matter what happens with him 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rock8591 said:
4 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

WR

Olb

Cb

Ss (depends on Geathers)

oline depth

Dt (depends on woods)

d-line depth

IMHO, WR and OLB to me arent that big of an immediate need. I think a mid level FA, or a 3rd or 4th round pick at WR, may fit the bill

I believe that you are referring to the our current Strong side OLB, which seems to see the field less than 50% of the time. We would seem to be able to get by with a decent player, but not needed superstar.

I think you would agree that weak side OLB is well set

I do agree that SS and CB need an upgrade. We need to come away with at lease one CB in this coming draft. I think you can get an improvement with a 3rd or 4th over what we have today 

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We should take a DT no matter what happens with woods we need to start getting some pass rush from the interior D line same with geathers still need an upgrade at SS no matter what happens with him 

Agreed  on DT and SS

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

In priority

DT - 3 Tech

DE

SS

Development OT

CB - Maybe 2

WR

2 cents...

Deano

I would be shocked if we did not take a WR or CB in the first four rounds of next years draft. (barring FA signings)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I would be shocked if we did not take a WR or CB in the first four rounds of next years draft. (barring FA signings)

Agreed

Remember, we have 6 picks in these 4 rounds

We may get TWO CBs

I just DONT want them in round ONE or TWO

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I believe that we will have a 4th round comp pick for FA as well as the Jets 2nd round pick to add to the normal 4 picks in rounds 1-4. Did I add one incorrectly?

No, you’re correct about the current 6 picks.

But since you mentioned the probable Brissett trade, I figured you’d add that expected pick to our haul.

When that likely trade happens, we will indeed have seven picks in the first four rounds.

— Our first

— Four picks on the second day with the Jets trade and the JB deal.

— Two picks in round four including the comp pick for Moncrief.

A total of seven in the first four rounds.

Same page?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, you’re correct about the current 6 picks.

But since you mentioned the probable Brissett trade, I figured you’d add that expected pick to our haul.

When that likely trade happens, we will indeed have seven picks in the first four rounds.

— Our first

— Four picks on the second day with the Jets trade and the JB deal.

— Two picks in round four including the comp pick for Moncrief.

A total of seven in the first four rounds.

Same page?

If we can get s 2nd for JB I'm gonna cry tears of joy lol 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think it is possible due to a poor QB class in 2019, and Justin Herbert probably going back to school (which is the right move for him). 

Justin Herbert SHOULD go in top 5.......  

To me....... You take the money.......  His college isnt going to be paying him if he gets injured

I think you would have to say that the QB at Ohio State would be a better prospect than Brissett

But to me, Brisett is a stronger, more proven QB potential than ANYONE else in the draft past these two........

THATS why I think that someone would take a shot at him with a 2nd round pick

There are 6-7 teams that need an upgrade at QB,(and 2 QB draft picks to choose from) OR.... have an aging QB that has one to two years left. ...... Brissett could be a fit

54 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If we can get s 2nd for JB I'm gonna cry tears of joy lol 

Hey, you and me — both!

But in my mind I’ve given the Brissett trade a likely 3rd round pick.    Helps me keep my own expectations at a reasonable place for me.   I appreciate others expect more.

But in my scenario, after the first round, we’d gave two draft picks on each of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds.   That sounds pretty appealing to me!

Ballard could address a lot of needs with that haul.   And you know he’d trade down a little to pick up an extra 5 and 6.   

The Colts will be major players in the next draft! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey, you and me — both!

But in my mind I’ve given the Brissett trade a likely 3rd round pick.    Helps me keep my own expectations at a reasonable place for me.   I appreciate others expect more.

But in my scenario, after the first round, we’d gave two draft picks on each of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds.   That sounds pretty appealing to me!

Ballard could address a lot of needs with that haul.   And you know he’d trade down a little to pick up an extra 5 and 6.   

And I'm sure we will be players in FA with our money lol

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Justin Herbert SHOULD go in top 5.......  

To me....... You take the money.......  His college isnt going to be paying him if he gets injured

I think you would have to say that the QB at Ohio State would be a better prospect than Brissett

But to me, Brisett is a stronger, more proven QB potential than ANYONE else in the draft past these two........

THATS why I think that someone would take a shot at him with a 2nd round pick

There are 6-7 teams that need an upgrade at QB,(and 2 QB draft picks to choose from) OR.... have an aging QB that has one to two years left. ...... Brissett could be a fit

Are you talking about Dwayne Haskins? I honestly know nothing about him to judge him besides where he is ranked recently. So I can't tell you. I have watched Herbert, and think he is a bust if he comes out this year. Haskins I have no personal info on besides looking at what others wrote about him so far.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Are you talking about Dwayne Haskins? I honestly know nothing about him to judge him besides where he is ranked recently. So I can't tell you. I have watched Herbert, and think he is a bust if he comes out this year. Haskins I have no personal info on besides looking at what others wrote about him so far.

Yes on Haskins

Great arm

Great release

Great Accuracy

Low mobility

Doesnt do well with pressure

He needs some bake time, but has skills to be an excellent pro

With the shortage of QBs........ and teams that need them.....  He would seem to be in demand

As will be Brissett (IMHO)

Brissett has good mobility

Great arm

(I think his windup and release needs work)

These are fixable. And you saw improvement in these areas through last year

He was undeveloped, and he was worth a 3rd....... with last year, and this preseason, to me

he is a bit more valuable than what he was worth last year

But...... Im just an old dude in front of a keyboard with an OPINION  :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The question is.....

Who will REALLY be available?

The people I want, would seem to be franchised.

I would hold out hopes and overpay for a proven SS like Collins

I would also over pay (slightly)  for Reid

He is a decent SS.   

At this point, I would take decent over the below average that we have today

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey, you and me — both!

I wonder if he will use the draft capitol to trade UP (Whether we get a 2nd or 3rd for Brissett)

There are some excellent players available in round one that could contribute to 2019 Colts

If we packaged our "2's" for an additional late first (quality over quantity)

Much to happen before then and now......

8 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

WR

Olb

Cb

Ss (depends on Geathers)

oline depth

Dt (depends on woods)

d-line depth

WR is a high need but not over the needs on defense. SS will need a young playmaker. Geathers is often injured and he’s not even that good when he is on the field. Farley is better. DT is the most pressing need. We need interior pass rush. Last draft Ballard drafted multiple RBs, receivers, and DEs. In 2019 he should draft multiple DT’s and CB’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I’m not convinced of that.   I think we’re going to have another targeted off season of spending.   I don’t see us spending big money in FA until 2020.

That’s my read of Ballard’s comments.   We’ll know by mid-March.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not convinced of that.   I think we’re going to have another targeted off season of spending.   I don’t see us spending big money in FA until 2020.

Well I dont see us spending alot cause all the best players will be tagged imo very boring class next year I like jason verrett at CB on a cheap deal or Ronald Darby 

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I wonder if he will use the draft capitol to trade UP (Whether we get a 2nd or 3rd for Brissett)

There are some excellent players available in round one that could contribute to 2019 Colts

If we packaged our "2's" for an additional late first (quality over quantity)

Much to happen before then and now......

My read of Ballard is that he won’t trade up until 2020.    I think his focus is on volume.   He’s into quantity as much as quality.    At least for one more year.    We could likely have another double-digit draft in 19.   (10 or more). We might have 30 or more new faces in the clubhouse in Ballard’s first three off-seasons.  

My speculation is that he’s likely to trade UP in 2020.    Trade our 2 to move up in the first round when we look to find a replacement for AC.   

By 2020, I think the purse strings get re-opened in FA, and Ballard really starts to target some top flight talent.

Just my hunch...   I appreciate that my longer timeline won’t be popular with some here...

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

The question is.....

Who will REALLY be available?

The people I want, would seem to be franchised.

I would hold out hopes and overpay for a proven SS like Collins

I would also over pay (slightly)  for Reid

He is a decent SS.   

At this point, I would take decent over the below average that we have today

I'd love to have collins but he will prolly get the stupid tag and not be available 

20 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Well I dont see us spending alot cause all the best players will be tagged imo very boring class next year I like jason verrett at CB on a cheap deal or Ronald Darby 

For what it’s worth... 

Verrett suffered another major injury this year and has missed the season...

Also, Spotrac projects that Darby will get $13-14 mill over year.   I’m confident Ballard does nit want to jay that kind of money for a corner in his system.   A DL — yes.   A LB line Leonard — yes.   But I don’t see it for a corner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth... 

Verrett suffered another major injury this year and has missed the season...

Also, Spotrac projects that Darby will get $13-14 mill over year.   I’m confident Ballard does nit want to jay that kind of money for a corner in his system.   A DL — yes.   A LB line Leonard — yes.   But I don’t see it for a corner.

Yeah I'm not wanting it to cost that much either lol and I know about verrett that's why I'm hoping his price wont be as high plus chargers are doing fine without him may just move on too 

• Like 1

Some 1st round talent at UT that we should be looking at

I think Oliver and Williams (both of them) will be off the board

Depending on where we draft (15-18)

Here are 3 that would help the Colts and MAY be available when we draft

Choice 3

Choice 2

Choice 1

My 1st choice is a bit painful as I am a staunch Buckeye fan.......

Rashan would be fanastic in this defense

• Like 3

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW, Holder said in recent Q&A (at theathletic) that he 'really believes' Colts will be more aggressive next FA. But like you said, we'll know by mid-March.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Where would CJ Mosley fit in our D? would he be worth a look? With the ravens being awful and possibly looking at a rebuild they may let him walk was just curious.

He may be a candidate for SSLB, I dont see him as a MLB here

But...... this is a role, in this defense, that doesnt see the field as much as the MLB and WSLB

DT, OT, CB, WR, G

Looking like a 15-25th pick... Colts playing good...

Picks I like...

RD1: Gary DT, Williams DT, Simmons DT. Brown DT

RD2: Tillery DT, Risner OT, Harry WR

RD2: Love CB, Fant TE, Jackson DE

RD3: Granderson DE, McGovern G, Evans OT, Bush LB, Willis DT         

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FalseStart said:

DT, OT, CB, WR, G

Looking like a 15-25th pick... Colts playing good...

Picks I like...

RD1: Gary DT, Williams DT, Simmons DT. Brown DT

RD2: Tillery DT, Risner OT, Harry WR

RD2: Love CB, Fant TE, Jackson DE

RD3: Granderson DE, McGovern G, Evans OT, Bush LB, Willis DT         

Hard to argue with any of these , really. You may as well cross Williams off your list now though- we're not getting him. He's going really, really high. 

Love the Risner shout . I think he's got the flexibility to play any position across the line and his character is off the charts. I think he'd be a great addition to our group.

If Devin Bush slips to the 3rd round , it'll just be because of his size. I think that'd be foolish of NFL teams , but crazier things have happened at the draft. That kid is a beast.

I would but CB higher.  And you don't even have LB on there.  

Potentially a RB as well.

I really doubt we will get a 2nd round pick for Brissett.  He's a good backup and all but I havn't seen anything from him that makes me think he's anyone's long term starter.  

• Like 1

So there's a disturbing trend on first round receivers since the 2015 draft. Only Amari Cooper has played up to his draft status, 2018 picks DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley are having goid seasons...but there have been some absolute busts in this timeframe: Devantae Parker, John Ross, Corey Coleman....Phillip Dorsett, etc

We may be in the process of seeing receivers being pushed down boards, like we saw with running backs. Teams are seeing that you can get a Michael Thomas, Cooper Kupp, or juju Schuster Smith in the second. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ColtV said:

So there's a disturbing trend on first round receivers since the 2015 draft. Only Amari Cooper has played up to his draft status, 2018 picks DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley are having goid seasons...but there have been some absolute busts in this timeframe: Devantae Parker, John Ross, Corey Coleman....Phillip Dorsett, etc

We may be in the process of seeing receivers being pushed down boards, like we saw with running backs. Teams are seeing that you can get a Michael Thomas, Cooper Kupp, or juju Schuster Smith in the second. 

Yes...    I wrote about this last off-season in the run up to the draft.   The info was not well received here.   There are posters who don’t want to accept it no matter how many facts you list.  

I posted a quote from an exec saying the strength of the 18 WR class was in R’s 3-7.   Not well received here.   But it’s been proved as mostly true.

A story I recently read stated the 19 WR class was also disappointing.   Not that there isn’t raw talent, but colleges just aren’t preparing kids to be NFL wr’s very well anymore.

They don’t run the full rout tree...  they don’t know to read defenses very well...   they don’t understand the long verbiage of an NFL playcall.   A number of colleges use either just a few words or a picture to call plays.   Good for colleges,  but bad for the NFL where everything is much more complex.  

So kids come into the NFL and they have to be taught on the job, on the NFL’s dime.   The kids are talented, but not very polished...    This is why I’m fine using mid-round picks on WR’s while we build our roster.   IMO,  this will change in a year or two when that’s completed...  

• Like 3