Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts playoff chance thread

Lucky1

First time I've made a thread but I just wanted a thread to track the Colts playoff chances. I am on my phone so this won't be as detailed as I like but they are now two games out of first in the AFC South and 1 game behind in the wildcard. 

Those teams are... The Titans and Dolphins. (And Bengals)

Chargers have 1 spot but the other is up for grabs. 

Discuss

Having lost to the Bengals, we're essentially 2 games back in the wild card.  The Bengals also beat Miami and the Ravens, so a three way tie might not help us.  We need the Bengals to keep losing.  We can take care of Miami and Tennessee ourselves.

Bengals 5-4

Titans 5-4

Dolphins 5-5

Colts 4-5

Ravens 4-5

We win the next 2 and suddenly we have the tie breaker with 2 teams fighting for the same spot and the Bengals play @ ravens and browns at home. The same team who just beat Atlanta. Plus this division games are always a bloodbath. 

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Having lost to the Bengals, we're essentially 2 games back in the wild card.  The Bengals also beat Miami and the Ravens, so a three way tie might not help us.  We need the Bengals to keep losing.  We can take care of Miami and Tennessee ourselves.

Bengals 5-4

Titans 5-4

Dolphins 5-5

Colts 4-5

Ravens 4-5

5 teams fighting for 1 spot 

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

Bengals 5-4

Titans 5-4

Dolphins 5-5

Colts 4-5

Ravens 4-5

The dolphins aren't going anywhere. I don't think ravens are either since I think I heard their rookie qb will be playing and Harbaugh's days in Baltimore are limited.

The Bengals are well the Bengals.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The Bengals are well the Bengals.

True, but a 2 game lead with only 7 remaining doesn't leave much of a margin for error.

I have a feeling it might come down to the Titans and us, with our two head-to-head games deciding it.  

• Like 1

Not sure what's up with the defense. Not sure if its talent or scheme. But it should be the fastest/easiest way without expecting to draft all D. 

Like, would a pass rusher or two or how many exactly on the d-line actually improve it? But we need to be able to stop the fun as well. Is it the zone? Seems like we had better luck with then 3-4 running man to man. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Defense is bad I agree

Yeah, but with the rule changes, that's where the league is in 2018.  None of the top teams have a great defense.  The Rams and Pats are okay - middle of the pack after today - and of the top teams, they're the best.

More and more, you gotta win 38-35.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not sure what's up with the defense. Not sure if its talent or scheme. But it should be the fastest/easiest way without expecting to draft all D. 

Like, would a pass rusher or two or how many exactly on the d-line actually improve it? But we need to be able to stop the fun as well. Is it the zone? Seems like we had better luck with then 3-4 running man to man. 

I think we have a lot of guys that dont fit in the scheme right now. They look lost and confused out there. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Playoffs!?!??!??!  Play hard......draft high.....keep building the team.  The D needs pass rushers bad and there r alot of them in this draft. 

and we can get a great Pass Rusher in the 2nd or 3rd round, what is your point? We drafted Leonard in Round 2. Sorry to burst your bubble but we are trying to win this season and couldn't give a rats behind where we pick lmao. Tanking is for losers and the draft is a crapshoot. It's not where you pick it's who you pick each round when you already have a franchise QB like we do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Folks we needed this win at home and we held off and got this.  This is a great step in the right direction instead of folding. We won  just like  what the Browns did to  the Falcons. But let's not get ahead of our self.  This is  a year where we build on progress to fill the holes we need to address next year in FA and the draft to get  in the mix for a championship

43 minutes ago, Jaredfor3 said:

The winner of the Colts/Titans game will have a solid shot at the 6th seed. 

The Titans have their sites alot higher than the #6 seed and expect to beat Indy next week.

Tenn is 1 game out of the division lead with 7 games to play.  They are a better team then the Texans, already beat them once, and get to play them again.  They are also undefeated in division.

Colts are the ones shooting for the 6 seed.  Tennessee is in good position to win a division title.

We have a chance.  Take it one game at a time.  Interesting how I've read numerous times, we are not ready, next year, not with our defense, etc.  Kind of like in preseason when there was a bunch of Nyheim Hines wasted pick talk.  Where are you now, even though he had a big drop, his is important to our success.  On defense, yes we had issues today, but we came up with the big play when we needed it.  Remember when we won the Super Bowl in 2006, we had the worse rushing defense in the league, then held K.C.'s Larry Johnson to 32 yards, then held the Ravens to 6 points, before beating the Pats to go on to the Super Bowl and win it.  So you never know.  We may or may not make it.  Tennessee is tough, so they are our next obstacle, but makes watching these games fun and stimulating.  Play to win now, which they are.  I'm sure when the Colts take the field, they are not thinking they don't have a chance, wait to next year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Lucky1 said:

Defense is bad but they make plays when it counts. Also agree we need to go 3-0 on this home stand. 1-0 is a good start

I think we actually have some decent talent on defense.  It is the cover 2, zone scheme that is their biggest problem.  That scheme is easily picked apart by good to average QBs. 

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Playoffs!?!??!??!  Play hard......draft high.....keep building the team.  The D needs pass rushers bad and there r alot of them in this draft. 

Hate to burst your bubble, but yes....Colts are playing for a playoff birth, and have a decent shot at it.  

You do know you are allowed to get to the playoffs and also draft passrushers in the offseason, right?

38 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I think we actually have some decent talent on defense.  It is the cover 2, zone scheme that is their biggest problem.  That scheme is easily picked apart by good to average QBs. 

Have you let Reich and Eberflus know about this yet?

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had the Titans penciled as a win but after today the way they blew Tommy out, I don't know. That game next week is a toss up vs Titans. 

Im just saying, Jacksonville blew out Tommy too. Granted, that was so long ago, but the Titans always beat good teams then have a let down right after.

We're at home, the offense looks great, and Luck has yet to lose a ball game to the Titans. It'll be tough but I got faith. 

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Im just saying, Jacksonville blew out Tommy too. Granted, that was so long ago, but the Titans always beat good teams then have a let down right after.

We're at home, the offense looks great, and Luck has yet to lose a ball game to the Titans. It'll be tough but I got faith. 

I think we will win but it will be like this week IMO, very close.

Take out the Bengals, they have the Steelers, Ravens and Chargers away, which very well could result in 3 losses.

The Ravens are going to play the Chargers, Chiefs and Falcons away, again, could very well result in 3 losses.

The Dolphins have Patriots at home, and then the vikings away... and two division games against the Bills, again, I can see at least 3 more losses to them.

The Titans, they have to play the Colts twice, and then at Texans, but honestly, if they play like last night, their schedule is pretty easy like ours. 

I dont see them loosing 3 more games, so IF we want to advance to the playoffs, we need to beat them titans twice and win out the rest. Maybe 1 more loss could be enough, to secure a playoff berth, but the remaining games are all playoff games for the Colts.

We either win, or go home. Not much room for errors. 

• Like 1

I'd be thrilled for Indy to sneak into the playoffs. It would be icing the cake in a really encouraging season.

I'll keep rooting for the Jets to lose and give us a high 2nd rounder, but that's as far as my draft thoughts ever go when the Colts are still mathematically viable.

I know its still early to make any real judgements, but all signs point to Reich being a perfect fit with #12. I still expect improvement this season, not to mention next year.

Playoffs or no, it feels like the precipice of something truly special here. I don't mind saying it (despite the fact that I'm 100% sure that I said the exact same thing in year 1 of the Grigson/Pagano era). Irsay might get his "multiple Lombardi(s)" yet. Might as well work on #1 this year while its still a possibility.