Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts need Le'Veon Bell

We can more than afford him AND be active in other free agency AND be mindful of the future... 

You guys are comfortable with Andrew Luck spending the next 3 years growing (and likely not winning a championship) with young guys and not spending the abundance of money we are sitting on without hurting the opportunities to resign our own?... When 1 player in Leveon Bell could absolutely take this offense to off the charts levels? 

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Not one player in this league thinks Bell is crazy for doing what he did. Earl Thomas sure doesn't. His Steelers teammates might be hurt by it, but I guarantee they understand it. He obviously is hot on the Colts from his social media postings. WHY WOULDNT HE BE? We could scare the hell out of this league with one big signing this offseason, and you all on here can honestly say you won't be excited if it happens? I. DONT. BUY. IT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We can more than afford him AND be active in other free agency AND be mindful of the future... 

You guys are comfortable with Andrew Luck spending the next 3 years growing (and likely not winning a championship) with young guys and not spending the abundance of money we are sitting on without hurting the opportunities to resign our own?... When 1 player in Leveon Bell could absolutely take this offense to off the charts levels? 

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Not one player in this league thinks Bell is crazy for doing what he did. Earl Thomas sure doesn't. His Steelers teammates might be hurt by it, but I guarantee they understand it. He obviously is hot on the Colts from his social media postings. WHY WOULDNT HE BE? We could scare the hell out of this league with one big signing this offseason, and you all on here can honestly say you won't be excited if it happens? I. DONT. BUY. IT. 

I think we can get Bell to a contract that is favorable for both Bell and the Colts.

I really do believe that he want's to come to indy, 1. Of course he want's to get paid big time, but 2. I also do believe that he really want to play with Luck and do wha't ever it takes of him to fit the system Reich have build. 

If he chooses the Jets, it's only because they offer him the most money, but I believe he chooses the Colts if Ballard want's him and that he's willing to come here for less money than the Jets offers him. 

Bell knows that when he's posting pictures on instagram with connection to the colts, then he's also sending a message to Ballard, but Ballard can use this as leverage in contract negotiation's.

So if Bell really want's to become a Colt, he must show it when come free agency time.   

• Like 1

GM’s don’t think like fans, their jobs rely on making good decisions, both talent wise and financially.  I had looked up how league GM’s feel about Bell a little time back -

“The MMQB polled executives from five different NFL teams, representing both conferences. The consensus among those polled was that Bell’s value ranks below Gurley’s, for reasons that include age, wear and tear, and injury and suspension history (Bell has only played 16 games in a regular season once, and has been suspended twice for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy). One executive said he’d peg Bell somewhere between Gurley and Jerick McKinnon’s four-year, $36.9 million deal, noting that Gurley is younger and more explosive. The highest estimate was a four-year, $56 million contract; that person thought Bell had a chance to get to $60 million, because being the highest-paid RB appears to be important to him, but that it would come through incentives or bonuses, rather than as a base salary.”

Someone always panics and goes over the top.  For Bell, it would be a team flush with cap and cash, desperate for a playmaker and not adverse to overpay, and a GM eager and willing to offer the deal.

That sounds more like the Jets than Colts.  The question is, if Ballard/Colts do make an offer (not a certainty either), would it be close enough for Bell to consider taking less than the best offer out there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

GM’s don’t think like fans, their jobs rely on making good decisions, both talent wise and financially.  I had looked up how league GM’s feel about Bell a little time back -

“The MMQB polled executives from five different NFL teams, representing both conferences. The consensus among those polled was that Bell’s value ranks below Gurley’s, for reasons that include age, wear and tear, and injury and suspension history (Bell has only played 16 games in a regular season once, and has been suspended twice for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy). One executive said he’d peg Bell somewhere between Gurley and Jerick McKinnon’s four-year, $36.9 million deal, noting that Gurley is younger and more explosive. The highest estimate was a four-year, $56 million contract; that person thought Bell had a chance to get to $60 million, because being the highest-paid RB appears to be important to him, but that it would come through incentives or bonuses, rather than as a base salary.”

Someone always panics and goes over the top.  For Bell, it would be a team flush with cap and cash, desperate for a playmaker and not adverse to overpay, and a GM eager and willing to offer the deal.

That sounds more like the Jets than Colts.  The question is, if Ballard/Colts do make an offer (not a certainty either), would it be close enough for Bell to consider taking less than the best offer out there?

I think if he does really want to play for the Colts he and Ballard should be able to make it work.  Ballard is all about a win win for both sides. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

So now you have one story polling NFL execs, and I have a different story polling NFL execs and they say pretty much the same thing.   

Neither story paints an optimistic picture for a Bell-Colts marriage.  And yet the crowd hoping for the Colts to sign Bell still thinks it’s going to happen.

I think they will hold out hope,  no matter what,  right up to the moment Bell signs elsewhere.    

I believe they will be very disappointed...    oh well..   I wouldn’t say there’s no chance we sign him, but I think it’s a long-shot at best....

We will know in mid-March...

Bottom line, if I'm Colts management, I avoid Bell like the plague. Sorry, but a RB is far and away the last position this team needs to improve. What is needed: Defense and WR. Period. This is the direction required.  Leve'on Bell may be a great player. But he fits the Colts future not. And for the record, Ballard seems like the last guy to blow the treasury on a RB headed for increasingly limited production. The NFL has become a passing league.  Bell chose a terrible time to challenge the status quo. Because the status quo has shifted: as said above, the NFL has become a heavily weighted passing league. Good luck Leve'on. You will get far less $ than you thought possible. Guaranteed. 

• Like 1

Our young backs r doing enuff to win us games.  If we were to sign Bell, he is basically flushing his picks of Mack,Hines and Wilkins.  When would they ever get on the field with Bell starting? I am not sure Ballard would do that.  Plus everything Ballard has said makes me think that paying a rb over 10 million a year is not in his dna.   I would sooner sign a big fast wr.  I think that would make us more dangerous than signing Bell

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2018 at 6:12 PM, ThorstenDenmark said:

Okay, before you comment, please hear me out on this one.

We all know how good Le'Veon Bell can be and what he can do. 

But imagine how good and valuable he could be, behind our offensive line together with Marlon Mack.

Bell can run and catch the ball like no other Runningback, and he can line up in the backfield or as a receiver, and compared to his tenure in Pittsburgh, which seems to be ending soon, due to his holdout, he doesn't need to take as many snaps on the colts team, as Marlon Mack and him would be one heck of a two headed monster.

Yes, signing Bell might create some tension and come with a huge prize, as he will demand big bucks.

But Bell would also be interested in showing his new team, that he's still one of the best, and he would do what ever it takes to prove himself to his new team.

This year we signed Eric Ebron, who had lost all confidence in Detroit, and needed a change of scenery. Now he's one of the best TE's in the NFL and lead the league in TD´s by a TE. 

I could see Bell really eager to prove himself and really wanting to play whatever role he's given, alongside Marlon Mack in Frank Reichs offense. 

Remember, the Colts wont play Bell like the Steelers did, where he were on the field on 943 snaps, and had 300 plus runs, which is one of the reasons he wanted big money in Pittsburgh, as he wanted to be paid as a WR, due to the role they used him in.  

Again, Marlon Mack and Le'Veon Bell would be one heck of a combo, and Bell would make this team better instantly, and though Marlon Mack is a very good RB in Reichs system, Bell would be an upgrade and could take the colts offence to another level.

Your thoughts?

More like Le'Veon Bell needs the Indianapolis Colts.

• Like 3

There are probably at least 10 FAs depending on who gets resigned or franchised that would easily be worth more to Indy than Bell. Jadeveo Clowney, DeMarcus Lawrence,  Frank Clark,  Sheldon Richardson,  Grady Jarrett, LaMarcus Joyner, Tyrann Mathieu, Preston Smith,  Ronald Darby,  Landon Collins, Zeke Ansah, Anthony Barr, Dee Ford and those are just the guys on D and there are more let alone a #2 WR like Humphries, Devin Funchess. The big name guys if they do get out like Clowney or Larence would cost more than Bell but have a much bigger impact, and the smaller name players we could get 2-3 that would add up to Bell's contract and be more valuable than Bell.

But we would be breaking the bank.... 

In reality,  we have the money to "break the bank".  We won't be out of money if we sign him.  We will still have a lot of money left over and still no one really to extend to a big contract.  We have the money to spend and I think we definitely should do it,  because he is a beast at running the ball and he will give luck another receiving threat too. Not just getting a running back with him.  We are getting a reciever with him too!  Totally worth the money in my opinion 

• Thanks 1

Not that I believe it will happen...but Kareem Hunt will be a free agent by Monday(assuming he clears waivers, which is being reported as likely. He'll be hit with a 6 game suspension, which would mean that he wouldn't be eligible until week 3 next season.

Someone will take a chance on him. If Ezekiel Elliot and Joe Mixon are in the league, so will Hunt. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 3:49 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t say there’s no chance we sign him, but I think it’s a long-shot at best....

We will know in mid-March...

Agree on both points

I think the odds are actually much better of getting someone like Blount, as mentioned before in this thread.........

Someone who compliments the current RBs with a different style, and use.

But

I am even getting tired of swimming in this (and the 9 other) threads pool....... 

:) on this THAT GUY topic. (I think I even started one myself.....)

The folks that say IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN vs the folks that say

IT WILL HAPPEN

There is clearly a strong case both for and against 

Who knows.... I surely dont........ If I had the perfect crystal ball, I would be picking stocks for a living

I guess as I get older, I have found the absolutes in life many times dont go as we plan

I actually got this really hot chick to go on a date with me......  the ODDS were highly against it, she was above my pay grade...... and then she married me! 

(Her seeing eye dog must have liked me :) )

It will all Pan out.......

In March, we will see where this goes

• Thanks 1

Another poor day of production for Mack against the Giants.  Although I didn't like the initial game plan of throwing on the Giants when they have one of the worst run defenses in the league.  Didn't understand that but we seem to abandon the run quickly as well.  To me yesterday's game against the Giants just reinforced the need for Bell.  A real playmaker.  Mack is a fine No. 2. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Another poor day of production for Mack against the Giants.  Although I didn't like the initial game plan of throwing on the Giants when they have one of the worst run defenses in the league.  Didn't understand that but we seem to abandon the run quickly as well.  To me yesterday's game against the Giants just reinforced the need for Bell.  A real playmaker.  Mack is a fine No. 2. 

They stopped running a) because they kept going down by 10+ points and b) the coaches know how deficient they are running when Ryan Kelly isn't playing. It really had nothing to do with Mack. On top of that, the Giants were blitzing a ton.

Come on man...

5 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

They stopped running a) because they kept going down by 10+ points and b) the coaches know how deficient they are running when Ryan Kelly isn't playing. It really had nothing to do with Mack. On top of that, the Giants were blitzing a ton.

Come on man...

Just because you fall behind, especially early, you don't give up the run.  We can't run the ball because of one man out of five isn't playing.   Seriously?    We are deficient in the run game that's a fact.                                                                                     

Come on man...

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Just because you fall behind, especially early, you don't give up the run.  We can't run the ball because of one man out of five isn't playing.   Seriously?    We are deficient in the run game that's a fact.                                                                                     

Come on man...

178 against one of the top run defenses in the league with our All-Pro center says otherwise...

• Like 1