Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Give it up for Tyquan Lewis

ColtsXNation6

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don't know if we give it up to Lewis or any Colts on defense today, but glad he got his first taste of playing time.

I watched him every snap he was in he definitely made an impact in the pass game. Lewis and sheard forced two key incompletions , besides that Lewis was abusing their left tackle all game go rewatch the tape 

Thought he held his own in his first REAL NFL action - considering he missed all of pre-season.

He showed hustle, strength, speed and a couple pass rush moves - he will only progress as the year moves on.

Still believe that he is the heir apparent to Sheard on the strong side versus an Undertackle.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, #12. said:

We need a pass rusher no doubt, but unless we do a better job scheming against this quick and underneath stuff, checkdowns, screens, etc., he won't have many opportunities anyway.  

Agreed.  Looping pass rushers are overrated, and good offenses have been negating them for a while now.

On another note, Vrabel's Tennessee defense shut down the Pats very well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtsXNation6 said:

I watched him every snap he was in he definitely made an impact in the pass game. Lewis and sheard forced two key incompletions , besides that Lewis was abusing their left tackle all game go rewatch the tape 

Pretty sure they are on their third string LT.  I’m glad he got to play and he affected the game but I need to see him against top tier talent and not a third stringer before I make a judgement 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, krunk said:

Honestly I would like to see more of Lewis, Turay and Ridgeway. Less of Autry.  Autry has been pretty quiet, or injured.

I agree Autry started off looking like a find in FA but injuries have really slowed him down. Lewis looked good especially considering it's his first action of the season. The second round Ballard put together doesn't look half bad. Leonard Smith and Turay look to have bright futures.  Lewis showed he can play on Sunday.  It's just one game still a lot to prove. He was the second rounder I thought would make the biggest impact as a rookie. He will have to do somethings a lot of things for that to be the case with the rookie year Leonard is having. 

I was very curious to watch him and did so on each play.  He showed some burst which was good to see, but he also seems to quit on some plays when he knew he couldn't get to the qb.  There were a couple plays where he just sort of stood there looking at the tackle as the play finished out.  Honestly, I didn't think he had that good of a game, but it was his first so we'll see. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MTC said:

I know this will be a controversial, "hot" take, but I thought Tyquan Lewis looked really slow off the snap.

Granted, he is coming off a toe injury, so I don't want to write him off right away.

I'm not sure it was the toe.  If you go back and watch his college games, he was almost always the last dlinemen off the snap.  He didn't look quite that bad Sunday, but I'm not too sure about him just yet. 

Give Audry some playing time and I think he’ll be an asset. He has a knack for batting down passes and can be disruptive.

There was one play where I saw a “flash”, (he almost got the sack). His speed stood out on that play.  He’s a little beefier than I thought. Both he and Turay just need some experience. 

The secondary needs to get healthy. All of those guys have made plays in the past. If they can “gel”, it will help the pass rush.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:51 PM, MTC said:

I know this will be a controversial, "hot" take, but I thought Tyquan Lewis looked really slow off the snap.

Granted, he is coming off a toe injury, so I don't want to write him off right away.

It shouldn't be a hot take....cause it's fair. He was going against Ereck Flowers and some guy named Josh Walker...and I think he beat them once (on the QB hit/PD). 

Really...none of the DL played well...except for Stewart and a couple of flashes from Sheard. 

It's way too early to know...but I think he's ticketed for DT. Maybe getting further out from the injury will help...but I don't think he has the game speed and I think he is going to struggle to beat even decent NFL OTs (unlike Turay). He also plays a bit heavier than I like as well...especially in a defense geared around speed.

Interestingly...if you put Basham on the back of his jersey on Sunday and he had the same performance...would people have been as hyped? Cause that's sort of what he reminded me of.

13 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Ya I don’t think he was that amazing. He did fine in the run game but disappeared in pass defense. He was matched up against Erek Flowers and the 3rd string LT? You’d think with such an easy matchup he would have had at least 1 sack. 

Yep...Flowers, who was cut earlier this season...and some guy named Josh Walker. He made a big play...but not much else. I think Turay would have fared better...even though he too is far from a finished product.

It's early...but I think people have a tendency to be too high on these young DL players. Turay has a couple of sacks against an old, beat up Jason Peters...and suddenly he's performing as well as Chubb. Lewis beats Ereck Flowers/Josh Walker one time...and he's the real deal.

But to each their own though. I think both guys can be part of a talented, deep DL going forward...but I hope more talented players are in the plans as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Yep...Flowers, who was cut earlier this season...and some guy named Josh Walker. He made a big play...but not much else. I think Turay would have fared better...even though he too is far from a finished product.

It's early...but I think people have a tendency to be too high on these young DL players. Turay has a couple of sacks against an old, beat up Jason Peters...and suddenly he's performing as well as Chubb. Lewis beats Ereck Flowers/Josh Walker one time...and he's the real deal.

But to each their own though. I think both guys can be part of a talented, deep DL going forward...but I hope more talented players are in the plans as well.

Ya it’s typical of colts fans to overrate our own players/team when they play very average against lesser competition. Like after we squeaked by the raiders that thread popped up titled “can we beat the Rams?” Or something like that lol. And it happens with almost every player on our team at some point.

• Like 2

Yeah he was basically invisible in my opinion outside of that one QB hurry. I know its extremely EXTREMELY early but im getting Basham vibes already. I knew Basham wasn't gonna cut it almost immediately. He doesn't seem physically athletic or possess the finnesse to make much of an impact. Saw that on his college gametape, saw it on his draft profile, and saw it in (albeit extremely limited action) the game Sunday. Just my opinion.