Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Ebron was an amazing signing by Ballard

RockThatBlue

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The tall fast guy who plays with Reich and Luck.  That guy is comparable. 

The guy who plays with Chudzinski, Curtis Painter, or Matthew Stafford.  That guy is not comparable.

Even if you make your point by saying it a different way, its still irrelevant.

You haven't made a point.   There are a lot of tall fast guys that play te in the NFL.    Who is having a comparable season since they aren't rare?

• Like 2

Whether you like the signing or not, he's producing in this offense, which is what he was brought in here for.  Perhaps we could have gone cheaper and still gotten the same production, but we'll never know.  All I know is we got what we got and it's working.  That's all that really matters to me anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You haven't made a point.   There are a lot of tall fast guys that play te in the NFL.    Who is having a comparable season since they aren't rare?

Its the second time you've changed the premise of a conversation from being an amazing signing to an amazing season, out of an attempt to justify your quoting of some dopey fantasy football stat.  But I'll answer your question.

There are no comparable tall fast guys who play receiver from the TE spot who have Reich as HC and Luck as QB, except Swoope and Cox, who don't start or get the PT.   

The tall fast guys who are playing receiver from the TE position and are playing with Curtis Painter or Rob Chudzinski are not having an amazingly dopey fantasy football stat season, but they could be if they played with Reich and Luck. 

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

Meh.  Tall fast guys who can play receiver from the TE position aren't that rare.  Even PS quality guys like Cox and Swoope can do it.

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's "amazing".  How many have a great QB?  Or a great HC who schemes him wide open on about 50% of his receptions.

Edit:  What's so confusing about that?

Don't Cox and Swoope have the same QB, HC and scheme as Ebron?  Yet Ebron is one of the top TEs in the league this year and Swoope and Cox are not.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's "amazing".  How many have a great QB?  Or a great HC who schemes him wide open on about 50% of his receptions.

Edit:  What's so confusing about that?

I don't think you can scheme someone wide open that much.  NFL defenses tend to be pretty good at covering everyone.  

Ebron is just winning his match-ups in the red zone.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think you can scheme someone wide open that much.  NFL defenses tend to be pretty good at covering everyone.  

Ebron is just winning his match-ups in the red zone.  

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Don't Cox and Swoope have the same QB, HC and scheme as Ebron?  Yet Ebron is one of the top TEs in the league this year and Swoope and Cox are not.

So what exactly is amazing about the signing?  Was Ebron picked out from a pile of a dozen castaways, with only CB knowing what he was getting while every other GM thought Ebron was nothing?

Swoope and Cox do not get the PT or the stats, not that they are as good.

I have seen every receiver more wide open this year than last year, and the talent hasn't changed much.

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i liked this pick up form day 1.  hes used like a wr from the TE spot

they dont even ask him to block do they?

Notice I haven't mentioned Doyle, who is the actual TE on the team.

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

Ebron was the 5th pick in the draft

First of all, he was the 10th pick.  If you want to be the lone dissident, at least get your facts straight.  :thmup:

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

Meh.  Tall fast guys who can play receiver from the TE position aren't that rare.  Even PS quality guys like Cox and Swoope can do it.

It is obvious to everyone (except you) that the Ebron signing was just one of many AMAZING moves by Ballard.  Nobody expected this kind of production from Ebron, just like nobody expected the Colts OLine to go from worst-to-first, just like nobody expected Leonard to be this good.

You trying to downplay everything Ballard does is getting pretty old.  I understand you view yourself as the lone voice of reason in a room full of kool-aid enthusiasts, but c'mon...  Don't be that guy.

This is a COLTS forum, where COLTS fans are enjoying the good times.

Let the good times roll, let it roll, let it roll!!!

:colts:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So what exactly is amazing about the signing?  Was Ebron picked out from a pile of a dozen castaways, with only CB knowing what he was getting while every other GM thought Ebron was nothing?

Swoope and Cox do not get the PT or the stats, not that they are as good.

I have seen every receiver more wide open this year than last year, and the talent hasn't changed much.

First, I was just pointing out your moving target.  First you say he's no difference than Cox or Swoope and then when someone calls you on that, you try to change your argument to it's not Ebron, it's the QB and HC and system.  Even though Cox and Swoope play in the same system with the same head coach and same QB.

2nd.  Even though I didn't say Ebron was an amazing signing for CB, he obviously is.  As soon as Ebron became available he was a priority signing for Ballard.  Ebron was released on the Mar 14th and signed by the Colts on Mar 18.  As far as what other Gms thought of Ebron, well we know Detroit did not think much of him.  Other than that, we don't know and it doesn't matter because again, he Ballard saw a fit and made him a priority and signed him.   Any GM can see a guy and make him a priority signing, what makes it amazing is that CB has been proven correct, Ebron was a great signing for the Colts.

Lastly, here is what Ebron had to say after signing with the Colts, 

“I fell in love with the coaching staff and I fell in love with the GM,” Ebron said on a conference call shortly after signing his deal. “That’s what kind of pushed the envelope for me to want to be here."

So as much as you try (in vain) to make it seem like CB does what every other GM does, the facts are starting to show (and the # of facts to use are piling up) that CB does it better than a lot of other GMs.  Time will tell if 2018 was a lucky year for him or if his process is better.  Right now, I'm leaning towards his process is better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I said I thought amazing is a strong word.  

Without naming names, because I don't know every Swoope or Cox on all 31 teams, every backup TE on every NFL team that uses a tall fast guy as a receiver from the TE position would have success in this offense run by this QB.

In fact, that tall fast guy doesn't even have to currently be playing TE.

Also, many tall fast guys in every Top 25 college team could also play well in this offense.  

For this offense and with this QB, yes, the number of tall fast guys who could play well from Ebron's position is a fairly high number, both who are currently in the NFL or a top 25 college program.  Its getting to be a more common position and skill set.

20 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

First, I was just pointing out your moving target.  First you say he's no difference than Cox or Swoope and then when someone calls you on that, you try to change your argument to it's not Ebron, it's the QB and HC and system.  Even though Cox and Swoope play in the same system with the same head coach and same QB.

2nd.  Even though I didn't say Ebron was an amazing signing for CB, he obviously is.  As soon as Ebron became available he was a priority signing for Ballard.  Ebron was released on the Mar 14th and signed by the Colts on Mar 18.  As far as what other Gms thought of Ebron, well we know Detroit did not think much of him.  Other than that, we don't know and it doesn't matter because again, he Ballard saw a fit and made him a priority and signed him.   Any GM can see a guy and make him a priority signing, what makes it amazing is that CB has been proven correct, Ebron was a great signing for the Colts.

Lastly, here is what Ebron had to say after signing with the Colts, 

So as much as you try (in vain) to make it seem like CB does what every other GM does, the facts are starting to show (and the # of facts to use are piling up) that CB does it better than a lot of other GMs.  Time will tell if 2018 was a lucky year for him or if his process is better.  Right now, I'm leaning towards his process is better.

Not sure if you have an axe to grind so your mind creates this so called moving target view, but here's what I said.

Where does that say "there is no difference".

What I did not do....out of brevity.....was to explain why I thought that PS quality guys could also do it.  (Please note that "also do it", doesn't mean "as well as" but is closer to the more complex meaning of "good enough to an acceptable level to where the incremental drop in quality has little impact on the W-L record"). Which is because Reich's offense thrives on that position, and Luck is a great QB when healthy and in the right offense.

The rest are just stupid comments to downshift into dopey fantasy football stats quoting.

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

So you decided to derail this positive thread over semantics?

Hey @That Guy , can you and @DougDew swap usernames?  He seems more deserving of the title...

Me?  I derailed the thread by saying ....Meh.  Tall fast guys who can play receiver from the TE position aren't that rare.  Even PS quality guys like Cox and Swoope can do it.?

Take your beef to Jvan and 2006Colts for harboring some axe to grind towards me, then launching off subject responses.

In any event, I didn't realize this was a validation bubble thread that was off limits to any mildly neutral comment like meh. 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Me?  I derailed the thread by saying ....Meh.  Tall fast guys who can play receiver from the TE position aren't that rare.  Even PS quality guys like Cox and Swoope can do it.?

Take your beef to Jvan and 2006Colts for harboring some axe to grind towards me, then launching off subject responses.

In any event, I didn't realize this was a validation bubble thread that was off limits to any mildly neutral comment like meh. 

:funny:. Simple question, so far this season has Ebron been Great?

Ebron is great for his role and is used best in this offense. He separates and causes mismatches. Jack Doyle being a blocker enables the Colts not to have to use Ebron as much in blocking and use him to his strengths. Kudos to the GM and coaches for being on the same page to recognize his talents and strengths, signing him and using him accordingly to maximize it.

Ebron's talent level combined with the right coaching and utilization has made his value skyrocket. Once 2019 is done, he won't be available for anything under $12 mil. a year again.

Sometimes, I think Jim Bob Cooter is overrated because the Lions do not use their weapons according to their strengths. Now, I just wish Matt Eberflus would catch up to Frank Reich and Nick Sirianni because it sure is getting tiring, the 25-40 point range consistently given to opposing offenses. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No, has he played Great is all I asked. Another question, do you think Swoope would be playing as great or have the stats that Ebron has if Ebron wasn't on the team?

It seems like he has played great, but like everybody, I don't know the circumstances of each play call. 

No,  I don't think Swoope would have his stats.  I don't think Luck would look for him as much, nor would he be viewed as the primary receiver as much on a play call from the sidelines, to mention two reasons.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I can't answer that question simply, because the question isn't that simple.

He's got great stats.  Is that what you mean?

I get it.  Your role here is the message board contrarian guy and it is a role you play quite well.  I will admit to having read some of your thoughts on the site before that really made me think about my own position on whatever the topic of the day may be.  

This one though seems to me you are arguing for the sake of arguing.  Sure having a QB like Luck and a coach who has schemed Ebron open on more than one occasion helps.  But Ebron has made plays that not every "tall guy" can make.  His first TD yesterday which was a great showing of balance and athleticism to stay in bounds and get to the corner was not routine.  Nor was his TD against the Raiders - the catch itself and then getting his feet down made that a great play.

So wouldn't it just be easier to say that this Ballard signing if not "amazing" was pretty damn good?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Now, I just wish Matt Eberflus would catch up to Frank Reich and Nick Sirianni because it sure is getting tiring, the 25-40 point range consistently given to opposing offenses. 

Totally agree, I think next year they'll focus on that side more. Something had to be done about the O or we wouldn't have Luck around much longer.

I think unfortunately we'll be seeing this the rest of the year. 

Let's hope that cash can get us a couple guys on the DL.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  Yes you did.  You make a habit of doing this.  Repeatedly.  In any thread that praises Ballard in any way...  :thinking:

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Oh poor you... the victim of group-think... you poor baby...

Vaiavoq.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Ebron is great for his role and is used best in this offense. He separates and causes mismatches. Jack Doyle being a blocker enables the Colts not to have to use Ebron as much in blocking and use him to his strengths. Kudos to the GM and coaches for being on the same page to recognize his talents and strengths, signing him and using him accordingly to maximize it.

Ebron's talent level combined with the right coaching and utilization has made his value skyrocket. Once 2019 is done, he won't be available for anything under $12 mil. a year again.

Sometimes, I think Jim Bob Cooter is overrated because the Lions do not use their weapons according to their strengths. Now, I just wish Matt Eberflus would catch up to Frank Reich and Nick Sirianni because it sure is getting tiring, the 25-40 point range consistently given to opposing offenses. 

I can see Ballard going almost all Defense in the Draft. The Offense looks set with the exception of another playmaker at WR.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I can't answer that question simply, because the question isn't that simple.

He's got great stats.  Is that what you mean?

Why is it a simple question is simple to everyone but you? 

First you have a deep rooted liking of Grigson  that can't be explained. And now you are having a hard time realizing that Ballard is building this team his way and you don't like that at all.

It's to the point all you do is argue for arguments sake.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

First you have a deep rooted liking of Grigson  that can't be explained. And now you are having a hard time realizing that Ballard is building this team his way and you don't like that at all.

Tonight for supper, instead of pizza, I'm thinking about fish.  Do I like Talapia or Cod better?

If this question is confusing to you, please read the first page.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I just wanted a simple YES or NO haha. He did admit Swoope wouldn't be as great as Ebron has been or have his stats so I gave him a LIKE for that. Ebron was clearly a great signing and to even try to argue that is amazing :funny:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just wanted a simple YES or NO haha. He did admit Swoope wouldn't be as great as Ebron has been or have his stats so I gave him a LIKE for that. Ebron was clearly a great signing and to even try to argue that is amazing :funny:

Here is a complex question that might seem simple.

Would Ebron have as many targets and good stats if we had a real #2 WR?

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Here is a complex question that might seem simple.

Would Ebron have as many targets and good stats if we had a real #2 WR?

No - see I answered that with a yes or no.

-but that really isn't the point because Ebron is 'simply' doing a great job and that is all that matters for us. Ballard signed him and it was clearly a great signing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No - see I answered that with a yes or no.

-but that really isn't the point because Ebron is 'simply' doing a great job and that is all that matters for us. Ballard signed him and it was clearly a great signing.

Would the signing have been so "amazing" if we had a reliable WR we could line up in the slot?  

Just now, DougDew said:

Would the signing have been so "amazing" if we had a reliable WR we could line up in the slot?  

We don't have one so I am not sure what you are driving at? We needed another Pass Catcher and Ebron was the best one out there in Free Agency and Ballard signed him. Are we better off with Ebron or without him? That is really the main question.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We don't have one so I am not sure what you are driving at? We needed another Pass Catcher and Ebron was the best one out there in Free Agency and Ballard signed him. Are we better off with Ebron or without him? That is really the main question.

You are correct.   Part of the "amazing" in the signing is that we effectively got a WR#2 who plays TE.

Would Mack have as many rushing yards if Gore was still here?

Would Hilton have as many catches if he had a broken neck?

Would AV have as many field goals if he was not kicking field goals?

1 minute ago, Myles said:

You are correct.   Part of the "amazing" in the signing is that we effectively got a WR#2 who plays TE.

Would Mack have as many rushing yards if Gore was still here?

Would Hilton have as many catches if he had a broken neck?

Would AV have as many field goals if he was not kicking field goals?

I am out of LIKES again (it must be from last night and I don't have them all back yet) but I give this a :thmup:

-Would Tom Brady have 5 SB wins if he had been drafted by the Browns lmao