Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Norte Dame pass catchers

So I’ve been lucky enough to watch several Irish games this year and as I’m watching this game tonight, everyone looks solid that is getting the ball. #10, 81, 83, 86 and probably others. I don’t watch games to scout, rather to enjoy the games but these guys seem to be walling off defenders and the balls are sticking in their hands. 

So so what’s the take from the scout guys on this forum on these Irish players? Any of them look a fit for us and where would these guys seem to fall in a draft? 

As a ND fan, I'd love to have Miles Boykin (#81) on the Colts.  The dude is 6'4" 220+ and can catch.  I wanted St. Brown last year, but the Packers picked him.

I don't know what Ballard will do, but if he believes in Cain, I doubt he takes Boykin.  But if Boykin is still available in the 3rd or 4th...  :excited::clover: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

As a ND fan, I'd love to have Miles Boykin (#81) on the Colts.  The dude is 6'4" 220+ and can catch.  I wanted St. Brown last year, but the Packers picked him.

I don't know what Ballard will do, but if he believes in Cain, I doubt he takes Boykin.  But if Boykin is still available in the 3rd or 4th...  :excited::clover: 

CB has the inside track into how well Cain is coming along and should know how his progress will look like before the draft gets here. He should have a pretty good handle on what he will need to do from the standpoint of will Cain be capable of returning as a 2nd wr or should he be looking for another 2nd wr in the top half of the draft regardless if the right guy falls to him. 

I think we we can all agree that we have TY and the a bunch of JAG’s at receiver this season. Next year, we MAY have Cain and we seen what he could have been in a small sampling of play time. Is he worth gambling on though to avoid one of these wr’s in the second or third round should they fall to us?

Personally, we need that superstar under tackle on the dline first and foremost. After that, I’d say a SS but am willing to concede a spot from the defense if the right wr fell to us and CB has any doubts that Cain may not come back as the same player. 

38 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Cain and Boykin could make us a very fine receiving combo for many years to come.

Add them with all of our other receiving combinations. Awesome.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Reviving this question as we are into the draft combine. I’ve really not seen any comments about Boykin, rather many references to the Other top 3 guys who may not be available when we pick anyways. Where do you see Boykin in the mix of the receivers now at this measuring stage? Still in the 3rd round range? What’s his major flaw he must overcome to be talked about in the top 5 guys ? 

22 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Boykin made himself some money with a 4.42 40, 43.5 Vertical and 11.5 Long Jump.....

Very raw coming from Canada to ND, but, showed good hands and body control - just doesn't know the whole route tree.

What round you looking at him as right now?

As an avid ND Fan, I doubt that Boykin pans out in the NFL. He's never gonna be much more than a 2-4 catch 40 yard possession receiver, imo. Unfortunately, I don't think he follows the long line of Irish pass catchers to do fairly well in the NFL. 

Side note, I'm not sure if it was a byproduct of having a QB this year that was very limited in terms of getting the ball down the field with any accuracy, or Boykin just isn't gonna live up to the seemingly high potential that he has. As another poster mentioned, he has the measurables to be a freak of nature, but is very raw and has a limited route tree. 

51 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

As an avid ND Fan, I doubt that Boykin pans out in the NFL. He's never gonna be much more than a 2-4 catch 40 yard possession receiver, imo. Unfortunately, I don't think he follows the long line of Irish pass catchers to do fairly well in the NFL. 

Side note, I'm not sure if it was a byproduct of having a QB this year that was very limited in terms of getting the ball down the field with any accuracy, or Boykin just isn't gonna live up to the seemingly high potential that he has. As another poster mentioned, he has the measurables to be a freak of nature, but is very raw and has a limited route tree. 

I don’t pretend to know much about Boykin.

But I like to use this line at this time but of year — seems appropriate here.

Fans see what a player IS.

Scouts try to see what a player CAN BE.

All I’m suggesting is with all these great  physical tools, Boykin might turn into something good.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t pretend to know much about Boykin.

But I like to use this line at this time but of year — seems appropriate here.

Fans see what a player IS.

Scouts try to see what a player CAN BE.

All I’m suggesting is with all these great  physical tools, Boykin might turn into something good.

Hey, I'd be as happy as the next guy, but he doesn't have the skill that Tate, Mike Floyd, Will Fuller, or even EQ St. Brown for that matter. Those guys dominated in college, and with mediocre QBs, Floyd being the exception. If Boykin does pan out, I'd guess it will be years for him to properly develop. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jdubu said:

What round you looking at him as right now?

Depends on who falls in love with him, but the physical ability is there.  I'd compare him to Fountain in how evaluators would look at him...... I'd say someone will take a flyer in the 3rd or 4th rounds

• Like 1