Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

B/R: Worst Contract on Every NFL Team

Bleacher Report had an interesting article on the worst contracts on each team, worth a read and link below:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804231-the-worst-contract-on-every-nfl-roster?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league#slide14

Their selection for us was Denico Autry:

Contract: 3 years, $17.8 million through 2020

The Indianapolis Colts don't have any horrendous contracts on their books, but the front-loaded deal for defensive tackle Denico Autry is a bit excessive. He has a $7 million cap hit this season. 

Even though Autry's salary drops to $5 million next year without dead money owed, he's clearly underperforming at his current rate. The 28-year-old missed four games with ankle and hamstring injuries, limiting his production to two sacks and 10 solo tackles. 

Autry has the team's fifth-highest cap hit, but he plays a non-premium position on the defensive line and doesn't have a track record as a primary starter over the last four years. The 6'5", 270-pounder occasionally flashes as a pass-rusher in the trenches, but he isn't worth an average of nearly $6 million given his current usage.

If he is the worst contract we have then we have done well!  He may have missed some games through injury but, for me, he has been excellent when he has played and his name seemed to be called almost as regularly as Leonard.  Front loading the contract seems smart to me also based on how much space we had.

The way Ballard has structured the contracts and the roster means I can't really think of any other options for this "award"?  

Interestingly, Donte Moncrief was the choice for the Jaguars and Dwayne Allen was the choice for the Patriots.  Two players I wonder if the old regime would have paid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
47 minutes ago, The Fish said:

They had to reach to find one and it's a new contract.. 

Ballard sucks! Luck is done! 

Yeah. If the “worst” contract still has the Colts with $100mil in cap next off-season then they’re in pretty great shape 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Bleacher Report had an interesting article on the worst contracts on each team, worth a read and link below:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804231-the-worst-contract-on-every-nfl-roster?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league#slide14

The Indianapolis Colts don't have any horrendous contracts on their books, but the front-loaded deal for defensive tackle Denico Autry is a bit excessive. He has a $7 million cap hit this season. 

Even though Autry's salary drops to $5 million next year without dead money owed, he's clearly underperforming at his current rate. The 28-year-old missed four games with ankle and hamstring injuries, limiting his production to two sacks and 10 solo tackles. 

Autry has the team's fifth-highest cap hit, but he plays a non-premium position on the defensive line and doesn't have a track record as a primary starter over the last four years. The 6'5", 270-pounder occasionally flashes as a pass-rusher in the trenches, but he isn't worth an average of nearly $6 million given his current usage.

If he is the worst contract we have then we have done well!  He may have missed some games through injury but, for me, he has been excellent when he has played and his name seemed to be called almost as regularly as Leonard.  Front loading the contract seems smart to me also based on how much space we had.

The way Ballard has structured the contracts and the roster means I can't really think of any other options for this "award"?  

Interestingly, Donte Moncrief was the choice for the Jaguars and Dwayne Allen was the choice for the Patriots.  Two players I wonder if the old regime would have paid.

Not a bad contract at all.   There is risk/reward in every contract.  Unfortunately, injuries have limited his play.   Since we are so far under the cap, the risk isn't much.   He's still only 28 and has good size, so he'll be with us next year as a contributor.  

• Like 1

I didn't follow the cap management very closely this past offseason, but I do know teams have to spend a certain minimum amount of the cap, so perhaps this was Ballard's way of meeting that requirement.  The article does mention that Autrey's cap hit does fall next year and there is no dead money, so I see no long term negative consequences of this.  If this is the worst contract on our team, we're in really good shape

7 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Didn't read the article to specify the date of the D Allen contract, but he was traded to the Pats so I assume his contract is the one still signed with the Colts.  Which was probably the worst contract the previous regime ever inked.